g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Are Russia doping?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What are you telling me here? Ronnie wasn't natural? Feck. Time to tear down the posters on my wall and put up Jay and Arnold instead :wenger:
Arnold in Pumping iron was the best interview in the history of the world.

Josep Dowling

I was also going to mention that. You stick it in your arse (muscle) usually, not your vein.

Drawing blood is hardly illegal.
Wasn’t this what Lance Armstrong did to improve his performance? You draw blood, spin it in a machine to produce more white blood cells. Not that I’m suggesting the Russians are doing this.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I checked the signatories of WADAs anti-doping code, and I couldn't find any motorsport organizations there (apart from the International Motorcycling Federation). So of course there isn't any good testing going on. To use this as a proof that "everybody" in every sport does it is a lazy assumption.
I didn't use it as proof of 'everybody' in every sport. I used it as an example of a sport that openly uses performance enhancing drugs.

I also said 'Majority'. I don't want to trip over the detail but that's a whole other accusation.

Minimalist

Wasn’t this what Lance Armstrong did to improve his performance? You draw blood, spin it in a machine to produce more white blood cells. Not that I’m suggesting the Russians are doing this.
Yeah I get your point but you've added a few steps there.

Trizy

If anyone was doping, I'd bet it was that Pep's Barcelona team at its peak.

People simply saying Russia are biased. If it is happening, then it would most probably be happening across all the teams and players.

Besides, Russia did look knackered at the end. Silva on the other hand, definitely looks like he is doping. Ridiculous how he seems to just endlessly run on the pitch, when he's supposed to be past his peak physically.
Milner is 32 and past his physical peak yet he ran way more than anyone in the CL semi final and was drug tested for it and was clean. Desire can up your game.

Hansa

I didn't use it as proof of 'everybody' in every sport. I used it as an example of a sport that openly uses performance enhancing drugs.

I also said 'Majority'. I don't want to trip over the detail but that's a whole other accusation.
Alright, my bad.

Still, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call people daft for not believing that the majority of athletes are involved in semi-illegal things. Some sports are more riddled than others. Some nations are less stringent (or have another attitude to doping) than others. I wouldn't be surprised if football has a higher use of illegal substances than, say, freestyle canoeing. But if the majority were doing it, we'd also have a lot more whistleblowers.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Alright, my bad.

Still, I think its a bit of a stretch to call people daft for not believing that the majority of athletes are involved in semi-illegal things. Some sports are more riddled than others. Some nations are less stringent (or have another attitude to doping) than others. I wouldn't be surprised if football has a higher use of illegal substances than, say, freestyle canoeing. But if the majority were doing it, we'd also have a lot more whistleblowers.
This is a line that so many use. I've worked with Athletes (Track). They work on the following two principles;

1. What can I do to give myself an edge?
2. What can I do to ensure I never fail a drug test?

No athlete I worked with would frame that as one sentence of;

"What legal substances will make me better".

They don't care. 'Keep me healthy, keep me strong, keep me training' is the closest you'll get to that. Athletes put ALL of their faith in team doctors. Principally that will be for the simple fact that they're not medically trained. The placebo-like upside to that is they fully buy into their doctor as a miracle worker, a part of their team. They believe that whatever the doc gives them to get better is exactly what they need. It's a faith based system.

Appreciably, my only examples are from other sports.

On the football front, the best I can give you is an absolute guarantee that there are players in The Championship that routinely flout the IV rules/regs. They probably don't even know the infusion limits. Nor what's in the bag.

There are no whistleblowers because everyone is working in the grey. There is a deliberateness there that sees rules broken but never declared and documented.

Foxbatt

Systematic doping in Russia has a big history. Check the Wikipedia page.
That accusation was overturned at CAS as most of the stuff WADA accepted from the Russian whistle blower had been hearsay and he refused to be cross examined by the lawyers of the Russian athletes who bought the case to CAS. Furthermore in a court his testimony was so haphazard the judges did not accept most of the stuff he said. So majority of the Russian athletes had won back their medals too that was taken away from them.
FIFA tests as much and if not more than the PL and I am sure most of the players would have been tested thoroughly because of the accusations against Russia.

UnrelatedPsuedo

FIFA tests as much and if not more than the PL and I am sure most of the players would have been tested thoroughly because of the accusations against Russia.
You can't honestly believe that?

FIFA (and UEFA) do feck all - No failed drugs test at a world cup for 25 years?... They're either incompetent, indifferent or complicit.

The PL does even less. No failed tests for performance enhancers in about 15 years, which remains the only failure for PEDs. Something like 400,000 player/squad match weeks and they've found 1 player that's taken a PED? Give me a break.

None of these organisations commit to the full WADA whereabouts mechanism. None of them are doing anything about doping.

LoneStar

Milner is 32 and past his physical peak yet he ran way more than anyone in the CL semi final and was drug tested for it and was clean. Desire can up your game.
I agree that desire can up your game for, well, a game or two. But if you play the whole season that way, there might be something going on.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Why is he past his physical peak?

I swear people reach for cliches nonsense rather than a book most of the time.

His peak as a runner : ie running far and fast would be 28-36. He's in the prime of his life as a running athlete.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Aren't they all doping. Some of 'em just get caught. I'm convinced most pro athletes dope.

I'm especially certain that all Tour de France winners ever are doped out of their minds.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
A bit unrelated but this night I dreamt I had befriended Putin at a friend's house party and I can asure you he's a charming man. People really have a wrong opinion of him.

Last edited:

Trizy

Why is he past his physical peak?

I swear people reach for cliches nonsense rather than a book most of the time.

His peak as a runner : ie running far and fast would be 28-36. He's in the prime of his life as a running athlete.
I should've used quotation marks on physical peak as the guy I quoted on this thread said Silva was past his physical peak and he's the exact same age as Milner. That's why I used him as an example.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He is a young and fit lad. Rebic today sprinted quite a few times at full speed in extra time too
Is it just my imagination or didn’t Robben also seem to be the Duracell bunny in extra time for big Champions League matches as well, when he was 29-30?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
[ Russia 2018 ] • • • [ Brazil 2014 ] • • • [ South Africa 2010 ]

More comprehensive Brazil and South America sheets will have to wait.

Russia though is updated with last game, and now has a plethora of tabs people might be interested in. With individual players as well.

Some stuff will shock ya!

Well, probably not, as we all know how lazy Messi is...but just for fun...

31,618 Messi (7,905 avg.)
51,831 Eriksen (12,958 avg.)
41,116 Golovin (13,705 avg.)

I reckon by some 90 minutes average, Lionel would be dead last.

Hansa

:lol: That is absolutely dreadful. I sometimes go for a 90-minute walk in the woods, and usually end up doing between 8 and 9k.

Lebo

This team is doping in my opiniom. They aren't great at football but it just seems like all their oppoents are underage/ unfit in comparison

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They've looked very fit throughout the tournament. That Samedov dude is 33 but doesn't stop running.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
[ Russia 2018 ] • • • [ Brazil 2014 ] • • • [ South Africa 2010 ]

More comprehensive Brazil and South America sheets will have to wait.

Russia though is updated with last game, and now has a plethora of tabs people might be interested in. With individual players as well.

Some stuff will shock ya!

51,831 Eriksen (12,958 avg.)
41,116 Golovin (13,705 avg.)

I reckon by some 90 minutes average, Lionel would be dead last.
Wow. Hagi probably ran more than that. No excuse for that.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Note sure about the doping but a very fitting quote would be "Russia seem like a team playing on drugs".

UnrelatedPsuedo

Actually an athlete's peak would be 26 years of age.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11357-011-9274-9
Not always so. The average there is 26.1 years of age across a range of disciplines. The 10k and Marathon are generally later. Footballers are comparable to 10k runners more than anything. To Marathon runners if we look at total yearly training volume and output.

Also need to be clear about what we are regarding as a peak. Athletic PB's in 3000m, 5000m, 10000m are often set below the age of 25. Just run 10000m as fast as you can and get it on record. That's certainly a peak, of sorts.

But Gold Medals are often won at the ages of 28-33, once the aerobic system has had years of training. Long distance events are not simply 'Fastest man wins'. The constant slow, fast, faster, slow, fastest, surges are what defines the Distance Finals. The aerobic system needs to be massively developed to facilitate that.

With all that said, you do get runners like Bekele, Haile who have a peak that lasts 8-10 years, starting in their early twenties. 26-36 is probably a better range for me to have posted originally.