Are Russia doping?

Hansa

I posted few times link to tables I've been fooling around with (still in progress). Actual playing time is there. Newest addition, individual players.

[ link ]
Also, checking the game time, there is a 19 minute difference from the least to most (45-64). This really is unacceptable - time keeping should be among the easiest jobs around.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I posted few times link to tables I've been fooling around with (still in progress). Actual playing time is there. Newest addition, individual players.

[ link ]
Awesome work. One thing that people are repeatedly failing to see in this thread is that doping is a lot more about intensity of running than distance. The amount of meters covered at x speed is much more important than total distance covered which doesn’t tell you much about doping at all.

Nucks

RT History Department
Of course they are doping, and so are almost certainly a majority of the athletes who play for a big time league.

The only question is this. Are they on something undetectable, and cycled on, or are they cycled off, because they are using something detectable.

The amount of naivety regarding doping on this website is hilarious to me btw.

Nucks

RT History Department
It's Russia.

1) They don't give a feck.
2) They have history. More so than any other country.
3) They won't want to look weak when they're hosting it.
4) They don't give a feck.
This isn't true at all. The USA has the most sophisticated doping programs in the world, with an incredible history of doping rings, doped athletes, and the US organizations covering up, or sweeping under the rug. Of course it's not state sponsored, but when the US sport governing bodies are complicit in covering up failed tests, it's hard to ignore that they are not aware.

BALCO ring a bell? The difference between Russia and the USA or Canada or Australia or the UK, is sophistication. Russia does not have a sophisticated privatized infrastructure like the west does. So, like you said, Russia and other states who "don't give a feck" take the doping system into the state apparatus.

If you asked me who the biggest doping nation was? I would have to guess the USA. Why? It's the richest, it has the most opportunity. It has the most sophisticated programs. Most designer PEDs come out of the USA. If all of this is true, which it is, why on earth would these programs and drugs be developed in the US, if there wasn't a market for them!

CA_vampire

Of course Russia football players are doping. Do you expect Putin to be humiliated in his own home?

And it will be hard (impossible even) to catch them because this is state sponsored doping and the state will help. "State" means the police, the counter-terrorist and spy agencies, the hospitals, and so on.

Also expect somebody to mention USA, even though USA is not taking part in this tournament and never had a good football squad, haha.

CA_vampire

The Russians are. Everybody is.
Meaningless generalizations always help the most corrupted. Same as "all politicians are liars", "no country has true democracy", and so on.

No. Everyone is not the same. Corruption is not the same everywhere.

The OP provides evidence that the Russians do many more fast runs than anyone else. If "everyone is doping", why are the Russians beating everyone else?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The OP provides evidence that the Russians do many more fast runs than anyone else. If "everyone is doping", why are the Russians beating everyone else?
Different drug regime : different results.

All athletes supplement. Many of the substances that they supplement with are illegal performance enhancers.

Close to every single world class athlete dopes/supplements themselves to the maximum allowable limits for everything they can.

The fact that Russia may have their squad on better/stronger gear doesn't detract from the fact that everyone is dosing substances to achieve their best level.

CA_vampire

Different drug regime : different results.

All athletes supplement. Many of the substances that they supplement with are illegal performance enhancers.

Close to every single world class athlete dopes/supplements themselves to the maximum allowable limits for everything they can.

The fact that Russia may have their squad on better/stronger gear doesn't detract from the fact that everyone is dosing substances to achieve their best level.
Do you mean that the Man Utd players are playing doped?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Do you mean that the Man Utd players are playing doped?
I mean that a vast majority, not a small minority, of players take substances to improve performances. Many of which will be illegal, or not-yet-declared-illegal.

It would be hugely unfair to specifically name clubs, but everyone is at it in some form. Why wouldn't they be?

CA_vampire

I mean that a vast majority, not a small minority, of players take substances to improve performances. Many of which will be illegal, or not-yet-declared-illegal.

It would be hugely unfair to specifically name clubs, but everyone is at it in some form. Why wouldn't they be?
It is a very simple question: Are you saying that the Man Utd players are doing illegal doping? Is that what you are saying? Yes or no?

UnrelatedPsuedo

It is a very simple question: Are you saying that the Man Utd players are doing illegal doping? Is that what you are saying? Yes or no?
You're daft if you think I could answer that with certainty.

My well educated guess;

- Many United players take substances to improve performance/recovery that are either illegal or legally-Grey.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford

[ link ]
Do those "by matchday" total stats take in to account when teams have a player sent off? e.g. If not then that is a bit of a flaw, e.g Russia played more than half their match against Uruguay one player down, so that would reduce the team total.

Also, Golovin's distance vs Saudi Arabia is crazy. Does anyone out there have any distance per match figures run in say the Champions League or Europa League to see how the distances some of Russia's players cover in this tournament compare to how much they run in club football?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This isn't true at all. The USA has the most sophisticated doping programs in the world, with an incredible history of doping rings, doped athletes, and the US organizations covering up, or sweeping under the rug. Of course it's not state sponsored, but when the US sport governing bodies are complicit in covering up failed tests, it's hard to ignore that they are not aware.

BALCO ring a bell? The difference between Russia and the USA or Canada or Australia or the UK, is sophistication. Russia does not have a sophisticated privatized infrastructure like the west does. So, like you said, Russia and other states who "don't give a feck" take the doping system into the state apparatus.

If you asked me who the biggest doping nation was? I would have to guess the USA. Why? It's the richest, it has the most opportunity. It has the most sophisticated programs. Most designer PEDs come out of the USA. If all of this is true, which it is, why on earth would these programs and drugs be developed in the US, if there wasn't a market for them!
It's Russia mate, they don't give a feck

Hansa

Meaningless generalizations always help the most corrupted. Same as "all politicians are liars", "no country has true democracy", and so on.

No. Everyone is not the same. Corruption is not the same everywhere.
Yeah, not really appreciating this 'Everybody's doing it, so why should we care' attitude.

I don't think they're juiced up. But people who suspect it are well within their rights to do so, based on the sheer number of actual doping cases in a multitude of sports for decades, combined with non-admittance of guilt, or any effort to get the Russian anti-doping agency up and running. After all the wailing about the 'unfair' ban on Russian athletes before this year's Olympics, they still feckin managed to embarrass themselves by having yet more doping cases in PyeongChang. Blaming it on some western anti-Russian bias is just the excuse they need to keep going.

Classical Mechanic

It's Russia mate, they don't give a feck
The guy who has been leading the criticism against Russia is Travis Tygart, he's American and the guy who brought down American sporting legend Lance Armstrong. It isn't simply a case that the West are trying to smear Russia, its that Russia are shady as it gets when it comes to doping, just like many factions of American sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...olate-dope-laws-world-cup-usada-travis-tygart

But as Tygart says, it is unfair to accuse them in the absence of hard evidence which this thread has shown there is little, I think.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Do those "by matchday" total stats take in to account when teams have a player sent off? e.g. If not then that is a bit of a flaw, e.g Russia played more than half their match against Uruguay one player down, so that would reduce the team total.

Also, Golovin's distance vs Saudi Arabia is crazy. Does anyone out there have any distance per match figures run in say the Champions League or Europa League to see how the distances some of Russia's players cover in this tournament compare to how much they run in club football?
Guess I could put some note that there was a red card in the match.
---------------------------
EDIT: Actually, there can be found "average" stat as well, so will put that, but when I finish all else first. Not sure how they calculate it though.

Distance covered:
105,331 team total
9,992 team average (goalkeeper not included)

Sprints:
340 team total
34 team average (goalie still not included)

Can anyone figure it out? Maybe they took individual player stats, and from that...
edit ends

Tried a bit, but couldn't find detailed stats from Champions League, guess UEFA is cheaper than FIFA. :cool:

Funny (well to me at least) that in the first round, the closest to Golovin was Eriksen from Denmark with just 500 meters less. Didn't really imagined that lad to be running a lot. Pay attention, Messi. Also, the Golovin's distance is also not unheard of, Aussie in last cup had even more.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

The guy who has been leading the criticism against Russia is Travis Tygart, he's American and the guy who brought down American sporting legend Lance Armstrong. It isn't simply a case that the West are trying to smear Russia, its that Russia are shady as it gets when it comes to doping, just like many factions of American sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...olate-dope-laws-world-cup-usada-travis-tygart

But as Tygart says, it is unfair to accuse them in the absence of hard evidence which this thread has shown there is little, I think.
Tug art is an attention grabbing Cnut. His views are tainted.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
Can anyone figure it out? Maybe they took individual player stats, and from that...
edit ends

Tried a bit, but couldn't find detailed stats from Champions League, guess UEFA is cheaper than FIFA. :cool:

Funny (well to me at least) that in the first round, the closest to Golovin was Eriksen from Denmark with just 500 meters less. Didn't really imagined that lad to be running a lot. Pay attention, Messi. Also, the Golovin's distance is also not unheard of, Aussie in last cup had even more.
I don't really know about those stats either, but Russia's stats vs Uruguay are clearly in part lower because of the one less player. Assuming that player had not been sent off in the 40th minute and ran at a similar rate, then the total distance stats for the team would have been ~104,000m (this is still a lower total than Russia's previous two games though).

As for Eriksen, he covered the highest average distance per match out of any player in the Premier League across the 2016/17 season, with on average of 11.97km per match - so that stat on him is actually no surprise at all: https://www.90min.com/posts/5019706...-premier-league-match-this-season-is-revealed

Lastly, back to Golovin, central and central attacking midfielders tend to cover the most distance on average per match (followed by attacking full-backs or wing-backs), so that the most distance covered by a Russian player was Golovin (their central attacking midfielder) is not in itself a surprise, but it would be good to know if that total distance was unprecedented for him (and the same for other players). I do remember when watching the CL on ITV that they would often show the top 3 player distances covered by each team towards the end of the match on the screen, so the data is around somewhere, but unfortunately yeah, maybe UEFA just don't publish it later.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think a lot of the people on these sports forums are young.
They idolise their sporting heroes and as such, don't want to even think that their sporting heroes could be on "something".

I do remember arguing with some cycling fans, about Lance Armstong. They protested that he was not on anything. I said otherwise. The rest, as they say, is history.
What I will say is this: regardless of these footballers doping, they are tremendous athletes. Armstrong, for example, is in my list of top 3 greatest sports people I have ever seen in my 43 year life, so doping should not take away anything from their achievements.

...and like Armstrong, I would say that most, if not all pro footballers, who get paid a fortune and whose livelihoods depend on them being in top shape, are on some form of illegal substance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking forward to the Russians sprinting faster than Mbappe today. :D

Dr. StrangeHate

Of course they are doping, and so are almost certainly a majority of the athletes who play for a big time league.

The only question is this. Are they on something undetectable, and cycled on, or are they cycled off, because they are using something detectable.

Why aren't there any whistleblowers then exposing the whole thing. Even the FBI and CIA have whistleblowers. How have these players especially in case of inamicable departures not told the newspapers. Same with medical staff and managers. This is just too big of a conspiracy, that majority of the players in big league are involved in without a single shred of evidence.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If anyone is doping it's Iniesta. 34 but better than everyone. Has lost all his hair, is some kind of weird color that not even painters have a name for and he's branched out into making wine which is all about mixing stuff a certain way to get the best result, basically the same concept as doping.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
After every game they come out. Not immediately though.

Check the link I posted few times, I update it often. Now with averages and almost all individual player stats.

Probably by tomorrow noonish, I'll have everything updated with the last game played. (talking about Russia 2018 only - still lots of work for older Cups)

Alabaster Codify7

Nah, I don't think so. Theyre just running themselves into the ground as they have the nation behind them.

David Silva is 100% on something though, at City. Lost all his hair, and suddenly (in his 30s) has become faster, stronger and more aggressive with endless cardio. Ridiculously obvious.

Smithy_123

A country that has a deep history of doping and add to that they're actually hosting a world cup. You can't exactly give them the benefit of doubt.

I'd be almost disappointed if Russia weren't doping at this point.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Golovin sprinting at full speed to track back after almost 120 mins was rather ridiculous.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sore losers supporting Spain running straight to talk about other teams doping. :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yes. Russia are NOT a good team. Something is clearly going on.
They aren't great, but they've got a couple of very good players (like Akinfeev) and they've not really needed to be good so far. Both SA and Egypt were crap, which allowed them to get through, and a 1-1 draw between Russia and Spain on Russia's patch in a qualifying campaign wouldn't have been a particularly shocking or strange result. Especially when considering that Spain weren't playing well at all.