g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Are Russia doping?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Some people seem to think doping makes players better.

fluffy monster

Supports
Chelsea
Well, supposedly he has form at getting his players in superior condition. You are right though, it has been only been two matches.

On one hand Russia are the home nation and only just starting their domestic season so perhaps they would be fitter. On the other hand Russia's recent history of doping, corruption and obfuscation of truth, along with the inherent corrupt nature of FIFA, will raise suspicions among many.
Russian Premier League has been a winter league since 2012–13 season.
Russian national team does have long training camps before major tourneys though.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
No, it doesn't. They can run faster, further, even have better reactions for a period of time, but they'll still be shit footballers.
The quality of a footballer is dependent on his fitness

AndyJ1985

They must have left their dope at home today because they've been absolutely hopeless

AndyJ1985

The quality of a footballer is dependent on his fitness
Depends on the footballer. No drug in the world will turn Fellaini in to Messi. But it'd help a team that relies heavily on pressing

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Depends on the footballer. No drug in the world will turn Fellaini in to Messi. But it'd help a team that relies heavily on pressing
True but Fellaini on drugs is a better player than Fellaini not on drugs

Razvan

I don't think the Russians are doping, the statistics aren't really proof for that. With that said, people have every right to question it, looking at the history of Russian sports. Russian apologists who label any sort of questioning as a consequence of western media propaganda are pretty embarrassing.

Puritanica

Supports
Ubon UMT
people should be very sceptical about unproven allegations.expecially towards russia in these days.
MH17, Skripal, etc. It's always Russia to blame - but they never come up with proofs.
NATO propaganda does not stop at sports.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It'll help any team, although yes it would help those who sprint fastest and press hardest the most. Obviously it doesn't do anything magical, but that doesn't mean it doesn't improve the players.

In this particular case, it wouldn't surprise me if they are, but I'm also not going to sit here and say I think they are. Who knows.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
South Africa ran for 118,853 meters back at the opening of 2010 World Cup. Had 1690 sprints too, which obviously were counted differently back then.

Think actual playing time was measured differently as well.

Live updates [ here ] (doing SA at the moment)

OldTrevil

Yes, and they're plotting to take over the caf as we speak. Your neighborhood too I hear, best to stay in doors and be on high alert....

Cloud7

Could it be that they just had extra motivation to play extra hard due to the World Cup being in their home country, and there being conditions that they’re accustomed to, not to mention they played two crap teams and were put to the sword by the first class team they played?

Nope, must be doping.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not sure some stats showing one team runs around more than another constitutes any evidence or suggestion of doping.

I mean this requires you to believe that not only are Russia doing it, but for some reason, despite getting away with it, they are the ONLY team doing it. If it's possible to do and get away with, there's roughly a 100% chance that at least some other teams will be doing the same thing. Especially when you look at the level of cheating footballers are willing to resort to in full view of everyone during a game.

Denis79

I personally believe many players from all leagues are using enhancing drugs one way or another tbh. In a sport, with so much money and prestige involved it's hard to think otherwise.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not sure some stats showing one team runs around more than another constitutes any evidence or suggestion of doping.

I mean this requires you to believe that not only are Russia doing it, but for some reason, despite getting away with it, they are the ONLY team doing it. If it's possible to do and get away with, there's roughly a 100% chance that at least some other teams will be doing the same thing. Especially when you look at the level of cheating footballers are willing to resort to in full view of everyone during a game.
This is usually ignored in threads like this. For some reason some fans have this view of players as honourable and fair, they don't want to 'cheat'. The reality is that players will do anything and everything possible to get an edge, that's why they are in the game, because they have a massive competitive spirit.

Halftrack

people should be very sceptical about unproven allegations.expecially towards russia in these days.
MH17, Skripal, etc. It's always Russia to blame - but they never come up with proofs.
Yes, we're all just sheeple, incapable of coming to our own conclusions based on history and the information available, instead letting NATO form our opinions.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes, we're all just sheeple, incapable of coming to our own conclusions based on history and the information available, instead letting NATO form our opinions.
Not sure about NATO but he does kind of have a point. The idea Russia were the only country doping at the Olympics is absolutely laughable. Even Coe said they were just the "tip of the iceberg"...there was just no political motivation or reason from the West to expose anyone else.

Now there are suggestions their footballers are doping based on them running around a bit more than other teams at a world cup hosted in their own country. Even though all they've done is beat two of the worst teams in the tournament and lose comfortably to the first team you wouldn't expect them to beat. There's literally no basis to have any suspicion about anything specifically relating to Russia, and yet it is there.

Nick7

:lol:

Kaush949

I am surprised a lot of people on caf believe no one's cheating.

Everybody is juicing and it is necessary evil. You can work as hard as you can but if your body's capacity is limited you need to stretch the tresholds.

PEDs don't mean you are skipping hard work. PEDs help you work harder, even harder.

What do you do when you are driven, hard working but your genetics is just not able to keep up despite the best maintenance and physiotherapy efforts? Do you give up your dream or find solutions? PEDs are not shortcuts.

There is reason why fighter pilots and snipers are given amphetamines and modafinils. It helps stretch body's the capability of staying alert without sleep for very long periods. Its is necessary for the line of field.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Also interesting that Russia brought a man out of retirement, and their average age is probably just under 30 given their defenders are all so old.

Hansa

Wait a minute, if someone has a statistic of the actual time regarding ball in play/out of play in every game, I'd be interested to see it. Although I didn't follow Russia's games closely, I can't remember too much drama, arguing with refs, feigning injuries, etc. Compare that to certain other games, and it's not surprising that other nations fall behind in distance covered.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Wait a minute, if someone has a statistic of the actual time regarding ball in play/out of play in every game, I'd be interested to see it. Although I didn't follow Russia's games closely, I can't remember too much drama, arguing with refs, feigning injuries, etc. Compare that to certain other games, and it's not surprising that other nations fall behind in distance covered.
I posted few times link to tables I've been fooling around with (still in progress). Actual playing time is there. Newest addition, individual players.

[ link ]

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
And checking Brazil and South Africa, there's nothing out of the ordinary about Russia's running at this World Cup. South Africans ran more in their opener for instance. Swiss outran Spain by 15 (!) km when they beat them 1-0 (119 km to 104).

Smithy_123

For a country that seems to dope a lot you would've thought that they'd be better at hiding it by now.