Are (some) Manchester United players out of control?

arthurka

I will bet most of us here did something rather stupid at 18. Beautiful girl and a young guy what could go wrong..

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Genuine question - do other leagues have these issues? I'm thinking they probably do but I don't know not being a native of them foreign places.

France is a given. It's a national pastime to get into a scandal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Discipline is definitely important. And it's important that the club ensure the players don't take things too easy. Some go overboard with the criticism of the outgoing /flashy nature of the new generation but regardless, to be a top team you need players with the right ethic. It's something SAF ensured.

Amerifan

We’re getting a lot of bad press. Ole needs to step up and set some standards on behavior. The man-children seem to need a refresher on the basics of being a responsible adult.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That Marcus Rashford...he's way out of control. Something needs to be done

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
All the other managers should be publicly shaming Ole. They could potentially lose players from his recklessness and failure to keep his players in line. Carrick too, doesnt seem like the type to instill fear, imo get rid and get Keane(well behaved in hotels) in.
:lol:

Yes the other coaches, none of whom its business it is, should be shaming another coach. What horse shit

Superden

I will bet most of us here did something rather stupid at 18. Beautiful girl and a young guy what could go wrong..
yeah but most of us weren't high profile sports people being paid tens of thousands a week for being amongst the elite at what we do. under the current situation, adhering to biosecure bubbles is all part of being an elite sportsperson, and it would have been drilled into them. also how thick do you have to be to fail to ensure theres no mobilephone footage. or they dont understand / dont give a toss.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ole needs to step up and set some standards on behavior.
He won't like this one bit. And he will undoubtedly react to it.

What exactly should he do, though? This happened while the player was on international duty.

I can't help but wonder whether those who seem in an absolute uproar about this would be fine with Ole benching Mason for a considerable length of time - just to set an example?

Basically, he's a kid who did something very stupid. He's also a kid who happens to be a very talented footballer playing for Manchester United - and who will, undoubtedly, be an asset for said club in the upcoming season.

Baneofthegame

yeah but most of us weren't high profile sports people being paid tens of thousands a week for being amongst the elite at what we do. under the current situation, adhering to biosecure bubbles is all part of being an elite sportsperson, and it would have been drilled into them. also how thick do you have to be to fail to ensure theres no mobilephone footage. or they dont understand / dont give a toss.
What about:

Hudson-Odoi
Mount
Rice
Walker (twice)

And many others not just in football such as senior politicians etc who have broken the guidelines, many of them much older and supposedly smarter than two 18 year olds.

For the record, also think it’s stupid that in this day and age of social media, people still think they can get away with this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Even going to family weddings while injured.

We’ll be starting the season with two of our first XI banged up abroad, excellent!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I heard that the girl in question was part of an Albanian gang.

bsCallout

We’re getting a lot of bad press. Ole needs to step up and set some standards on behavior. The man-children seem to need a refresher on the basics of being a responsible adult.
He does, unfortunately these players have done this whilst not under his 'supervision'. The moment they've stepped away from the club for a moment and they are making these decisions. He can't babysit them but I do hope they are all dropped for the first game at least.

Give Lindelof the captains armband for saving grannies whilst he's at it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I imagine when you were 18, no one gave a flying feck who you were shagging. Greenwood has the expectation of an entire deranged fanbase resting on his shoulders who go into meltdown whenever a player doesn't act precisely how they think a soulless asset should behave.

But then again, this is a WUM thread, so I hope you're not being serious.
Not getting kicked out of the England squad in disgrace on your first ever international call up is a pretty low bar as far as expectations go. It's quite a big feck up really and raises genuine questions about Greenwood's mentality to any reasonable person, including you would hope himself.

I'm also not sure what it has to do with our "derranged fan base"...do they tell Southgate what behaviour is and isn't acceptable from an 18 year old?

L1nk

I mean he is an idiot, not quite sure what the laughing is about, the reality is on any normal given day, this would be a non issue, in the midst of a pandemic, all it takes is for that 1 girl he brings to pass Covid to him, and then he potentially spreads it to the team, the staff etc and then we are off to a pretty shocking start to the season most likely. On top of potentially spreading it to family and friends, other England team mates who then may also go on to spread it to teammates, family and friends etc, you see how this goes? He was dumb, so was Foden.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not getting kicked out of the England squad in disgrace on your first ever international call up is a pretty low bar as far as expectations go. It's quite a big feck up really and raises genuine questions about Greenwood's mentality to any reasonable person, including you would hope himself.

I'm also not sure what it has to do with our "derranged fan base"...do they tell Southgate what behaviour is and isn't acceptable from an 18 year old?
In disgrace :lol: You been writing for The Sun for long?

I'm not sure what Southgate has to do with our fanbase having a meltdown, or does Southgate instruct our fans on how horrified they should be over a dumb decision made by a teenager?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In disgrace :lol: You been writing for The Sun for long?

I'm not sure what Southgate has to do with our fanbase having a meltdown, or does Southgate instruct our fans on how horrified they should be over a dumb decision made by a teenager?
He wasn’t exactly kicked out in joy

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maguire's wasn’t his fault

AWB was an idiot. The club should be fining him six weeks wages for not following club orders

Greenwood was kicked out of the squad?!
Club orders or recommendations ?

Might as well save yourself some time and cry for Poch/Nagelsman/whoever you fancy directly. No need for overtures.
:lol:

TrustInOle

When MP's are throwing house parties for birthdays during lockdown, shaking hands outside downing Street, cramming 50 MP's into parliament to listen to Boris, is it any surprise the younger generation arn't stern rule followers when country leaders can't even abide them.

That's without mentioning the hundreds of so called 'mature' people cramming into parks because they don't want to wear masks or be controlled.

Stupid, yes but people have made worse mistakes.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not sure what Southgate has to do with our fanbase having a meltdown, or does Southgate instruct our fans on how horrified they should be over a dumb decision made by a kid?
Southgate has expelled him from the squad. It's quite a big deal. I'm not sure how there being a reaction to that or criticism aimed at Greenwood comes under the category of "meltdown" or "derranged"

No one's going to want him dropped or turfed out of the club, or suddenly decide he's not worth the hassle, but he's very clearly fecked up and fallen below the required standard attitude wise. As has Bissaka, as has Maguire. When we have the shortest off season ever and even in that time multiple members of our squad manage to make idiots of themselves, it is fair to wonder what on earth they are playing at really.

There's no point moaning about mediocre on field results if you have no problem with mediocre levels of attitude and commitment. It's harsh but that's how it is.

I getthat GReenwood is 18 and this could be a valuable lesson to him that will do him good in the long run, but it's quite important actually that it is exactly that and not a sign of things to come.

el3mel

Neither of these happened while they were with the club, beside Greenwood did it with Foden, not alone anyway.

ivaldo

Southgate has expelled him from the squad. It's quite a big deal. I'm not sure how there being a reaction to that or criticism aimed at Greenwood comes under the category of "meltdown" or "derranged"

No one's going to want him dropped or turfed out of the club, or suddenly decide he's not worth the hassle, but he's very clearly fecked up and fallen below the required standard attitude wise. As has Bissaka, as has Maguire. When we have the shortest off season ever and even in that time multiple members of our squad manage to make idiots of themselves, it is fair to wonder what on earth they are playing at really.

There's no point moaning about mediocre on field results if you have no problem with mediocre levels of attitude and commitment. It's harsh but that's how it is.

I getthat GReenwood is 18 and this could be a valuable lesson to him that will do him good in the long run, but it's quite important actually that it is exactly that and not a sign of things to come.
Southgate removing him from the squad doesn't equate to him seriously questioning his mentality. You are allowed to harbour an opinion that doesn't only exists at the extreme. You wouldn't consider a speeding ticket a disgrace, would you? Or drinking too much so you have to call in work sick the next day, or smoking a bit of weed. It's a mistake and there is repercussions. Every single person on this forum has made countless mistakes in their lives. Questioning a kids future and integrity at an age where he's still very much learning is just silly.

dal

AWB - Yes

Greenwood and Maguire - hell no.

Greenwood and Foden have done things every boy there age would do however they should not be allowing their room to be recorded. Lesson learned.

Foxbatt

Not when with the national team or the club. Ole should certainly fine him and give him the hair dryer treatment.

ivaldo

What was he kicked out in? In your opinion
Nothing. Why does he have to be 'kicked out' in anything? He was removed from the squad because he made a mistake, the sort of thing teenagers do on a near daily basis. He'll be reintroduced into the squad at a later date. Thats it. The need for it to be anything more than that is just daft.

RedNed77

The rate I’m starting to put threads on ignore, I’m going to be seeing match threads from the Fergie era on the front page.

Give Lindelof the captains armband for saving grannies.
I know you're joking here, but I do actually think I'd take the captaincy off Maguire.

Initially I was against it, but we've just had one too many 'behavioural' issues this summer - and I think an example needs to be set. You could say it's unfortunate that Maguire ends up being the face of that example...but, as captain, and as one of our more senior players, it sends a firm message as to what's expected of and what will be tolerated from players at Manchester United.

Doesn't need to be a big drama, either. Just a firm reminder of consequences and expectations, and then it's over.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Nothing. Why does he have to be 'kicked out' in anything? He was removed from the squad because he made a mistake, the sort of thing teenagers do on a near daily basis. He'll be reintroduced into the squad at a later date. Thats it. The need for it to be anything more than that is just daft.
Removed, kicked out. Potato tomato.

What he did was wrong, people can make excuses because of his age till the cows come home

ivaldo

Removed, kicked out. Potato tomato.

What he did was wrong, people can make excuses because of his age till the cows come home
He needs a lashing at the very least. I just can't decide how many fingers we should take. I suppose it depends on how many he used.