Are Spurs in a bit of a mess?

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
They're actually shaping up pretty well. Not well enough for Kane to stay likely but it's not going to be the massive decline that I thought it would be. If Kane goes they'll have a lot of money to further spend on the rebuild too.

Carolina Red

Staff
If you mean the Cup Winner's Cup, it was neither the UEFA Cup nor the CL.
So? That doesn’t change the fact that they’ve won a UEFA trophy since Spurs last won one.
My point was that in an epoch of their pinnacle of dominance, Arsenal did next to nothing in Europe. It's a bit like going fishing and never catching anything, and making fun of the guy who hasn't got a rod.
If you change the proper noun, you have literally described Spurs.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
They won a UEFA trophy since the last time Spurs won one.

And 4 FA Cups since the last time Spurs won a domestic trophy.
They've also won a major trophy since the last time Man Utd won one. It's a bit of a moot point, really.

I was comparing current (not long dissolved) trophies. I'm not sure where this straw man is supposed to be going, other than possibly an attempt to antagonise? Is that constructive moderator behaviour?

Carolina Red

Staff
They've also won a major trophy since the last time Man Utd won one. It's a bit of a moot point, really.

I was comparing current (not long dissolved) trophies. I'm not sure where this straw man is supposed to be going, other than possibly an attempt to antagonise? Is that constructive moderator behaviour?
It isn’t a straw man. It’s pointing out that Arsenal wasn’t the odd man out in the Super League.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
It isn’t a straw man. It’s pointing out that Arsenal wasn’t the odd man out in the Super League.
Because they won the cup winner's cup 27 years ago? :confused:

Should Leeds and Forest also be in there too?

Carolina Red

Staff
Because they won the cup winner's cup 27 years ago? :confused:

Should Leeds and Forest also be in there too?
You realize what that means for Spurs’ resume. You have to.

Since 1994…
Arsenal: 1 Uefa Cup Winners Cup, 3 EPLs, 8 FA Cups, 1 League Cup

Spurs: 2 League Cups

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Since 1994…

I have no idea what you're even arguing about now

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think if Kane goes it'll push Son out the door as well and then they're in a bit of a bad situation.

What's the worst case for them though? They go from winning nothing and finishing in and around top four, to winning nothing and finishing mid-table? Not that major in terms of a decline. They could easily invest the money wisely and be better off in a couple of years.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think if Kane goes it'll push Son out the door as well and then they're in a bit of a bad situation.

What's the worst case for them though? They go from winning nothing and finishing in and around top four, to winning nothing and finishing mid-table? Not that major in terms of a decline. They could easily invest the money wisely and be better off in a couple of years.
They won't. It's not as easy as FM makes it seem

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yes they are in a mess. They’ll always pick up a few signings here or there. Gil looks a good prospect but I doubt is going to immediately improve them, he’s still quite raw and will need a year to adjust to the PL. Gollini isn’t really an upgrade on Llorris. Romero would be a decent acquisition, but players coming from serie A are always hit or miss tbh. At least he’s addressing a need they have. As it appears likely they’ll lose Kane, that puts them in a real pickle for this coming season. He’s everything good about that squad. They are lower mid table without him. Especially with Nuno in charge.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
They won't. It's not as easy as FM makes it seem
Now with Lamela leaving that's the last of AVB'S signings from the Bale money all gone. I remember the line up picture with them all, only Eriksen and Lamela maybe worth it but I don't think they invested well that summer and they were shit the following season and AVB sacked at Xmas. They'll have trouble signing big with teams knowing the money they've received and with this sporting director like their managerial process is bound to scattergun some transfers and get some wrong.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They're actually shaping up pretty well. Not well enough for Kane to stay likely but it's not going to be the massive decline that I thought it would be. If Kane goes they'll have a lot of money to further spend on the rebuild too.
If Kane goes a massive decline it will be, Christ from where they were under Poch it's been a massive decline as it is

They are a mess there's no doubt about that, Romero sounded like a CB we should have been in for ahead of the more talked about names I'll give them that but that was before Varane and who knows if Romero will even be any good

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Romero is a good start. Need one more CB for sure. Reguilon, Romero, CB, Aurier
Isn't bad for a top 7 team.

Hojberg, Ndombele, Le Celso, Son, new winger and a new striker. (Assuming Kane leaves)

Need 3 more signings.

kidbob

Their problem is that regardless of the good signings they make, if they lose Kane then they lose the reason that they have finished so well in the League in recent years. There is literally no one that they can buy to replace him and his goals.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
You posted this…

So I’m just showing you how Arsenal is not the oddity.
In terms of European merit there are.

In it was two decades ago since they got past the last 16 in the CL, and 5 seasons since they were last in it. 1 final in 19 seasons, which was 15 years ago. All the other teams, bar City, had at least been in a CL quarter final in very recent history.

Your argument was as if a PL 'Super League' should include Blackburn, just because they won it more recently than other teams. Or, as I said, adding Nottingham Forest to a european 'Super League' because they've won it before. All that has relevance is the present.

'History', beyond recent seasons, is a weird metric in football - it does nothing but assert expectation, or give fans something irrelevant to crow about. I'm under no illusion, though, that there's not really any merit in the conversation being had, and it's just one of those tribal things.

Carolina Red

Staff
Your argument was as if a PL 'Super League' should include Blackburn
My argument is if you think Arsenal are “the oddity” and shouldn’t have been included, then Spurs absolutely shouldn’t have been and are more of an oddity on the list than Arsenal, having won less, less often.
it's just one of those tribal things.
Only one of us is a fan of either of the two teams being discussed.

redrobed

Since 1994…

I really dislike Arsenal and I’m not really bothered either way by Spurs but think, in a way, this is why Spurs are the oddity. Arsenal were at least relevant once - it feels like Spurs’ aims and greatest achievements throughout history all revolve around times they’ve finished near or above Arsenal whereas Arsenal actually occasionally win stuff. You could imagine Arsenal in the Super League without Spurs but not Spurs without Arsenal.

Womp

idiot
I'm surprised Son re-signed tbh. Banter aside, they haven't won and most likely will continue not to win shite, especially with their best player unsettled and hell bent on leaving. People will say they will get a lot of money to rebuild, but they had a lot of money to rebuild with Bale's sale too and invested in mostly shite.

They've also just been rejected by every manager available, ended up with their 20th(?) choice and a very defensive manager. Lastly, it's surely not even purely financial, he could be getting paid more at other clubs who would take him in a heartbeat.

Purely for loyalty reasons aside, just can't see why he'd be so quick to sign a new contract.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm surprised Son re-signed tbh. Banter aside, they haven't won and most likely will continue not to win shite, especially with their best player unsettled and hell bent on leaving. People will say they will get a lot of money to rebuild, but they had a lot of money to rebuild with Bale's sale too and invested in mostly shite.

They've also just been rejected by every manager available, ended up with their 20th(?) choice and a very defensive manager. Lastly, it's surely not even purely financial, he could be getting paid more at other clubs who would take him in a heartbeat.

Purely for loyalty reasons aside, just can't see why he'd be so quick to sign a new contract.
Maybe he has a young family and doesn’t want to unsettle them?

EDIT - checked his Wiki and he’s single and kid free. Maybe he’s just settled where he is and that’s enough?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
In terms of European merit there are.

In it was two decades ago since they got past the last 16 in the CL, and 5 seasons since they were last in it. 1 final in 19 seasons, which was 15 years ago. All the other teams, bar City, had at least been in a CL quarter final in very recent history.

Your argument was as if a PL 'Super League' should include Blackburn, just because they won it more recently than other teams. Or, as I said, adding Nottingham Forest to a european 'Super League' because they've won it before. All that has relevance is the present.

'History', beyond recent seasons, is a weird metric in football - it does nothing but assert expectation, or give fans something irrelevant to crow about. I'm under no illusion, though, that there's not really any merit in the conversation being had, and it's just one of those tribal things.
What have Spurs done to merit being in the Super League?

Look at it as the historically big clubs trying to protect themselves.

Then ask yourself why we all thought it was a joke that you were included but didn’t Arsenal.

Last edited:

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's last UEFA Cup/Champions League win is closer to the big bang than today. (because it doesn't exist)

Everton's last trophy win is older than Anthony Martial.

etc.

You can look at it from all angles, but I'm surprised no one points out that Arsenal were the oddity in the 'Super League', considering they've barely been of merit in the CL, and haven't been in it for 5 seasons now
We still won cups, hold European pedigree due to our playing style for twenty years and contributed immensely to football in the last century. Therefore of course we're always going to be invited.

Truth is no English club apart from City or Liverpool have been a consistent super club these past five years.

Womp

idiot
Maybe he has a young family and doesn’t want to unsettle them?

EDIT - checked his Wiki and he’s single and kid free. Maybe he’s just settled where he is and that’s enough?
Fair enough, but for example, most of the top teams in England would take him in a heartbeat, whilst also being able to pay him more. Understandable if he just likes where he is though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Need to do better on the Kane money than they did with the Bale money, Eriksen really the only hit, Lamela and Chadli serviceable. All the others average to poor.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Arsenal owners are part of the American gang of owners who wanted the Super League. Would be fecking stupid if they paid money to do the groundwork for the competition without getting the invite to it.

Going on about historical relevance means feck all because the ultimate aim for the Super League is money.

I'm pretty sure Kane will stay, Son has re-signed and they will buy some good to average new players. They'll be the same old Spurs sniffing around the top 4 but not quite enough to cement themselves there. I don't know if one or two great signings will make a difference because they are so average in so many different positions on the pitch.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Looks like they are doing the rebuild that needed to happen when Pochettino said it needed to happen, better late than never I guess.

Midfield looks ok I guess, just need to move Sissoko, past it, and Winks, stalled and never really improved his game, neither good enough if they want top four. Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Skipp the new look midfield? Im assuming Alderweireld is going and one of either Dier or Sanchez, they brought in Rodon last season, Romero looks almost done deal, and Kounde a maybe. Whatever happened to that Japanese international they were a shoe in for?

Spurs seem to be in for Ings. Ings with his injury history and at 29 should be cheap, what 1 year left on his contract? But they will need more than just Ings up front with Kane departing.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Spoke to a Spurs fan last who said signing Gil was making "huggggge waves" and that he "expects to win the league every season".

I think he's a bit thick.