Are Spurs the dirtiest club in the league?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hell the NDombele challenge earlier in that very same game was worse than Son's. But I agree on tactical fouling, it is a separate discussion and there should be harsher penalties for it. Can't believe City committed 10 tactical fouls in the first half vs West Ham and got zero bookings.
Completely agreed. Referees are consistently afraid of booking City players despite their underhanded tactics; it's a clear pattern with Pep sides. Adjusting the laws to make these sorts of unsporting fouls a red would not only improve the quality of the sport, it would piss Pep off and nullify one of their key defensive principles.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
My point was not that all tactical fouls and cynical tackles are red cards. Far from it. But in cases like this, where a revenge tackle with no chance of getting the ball ends with a foot cut off, I am of the opinion that one can look at both what seemed to be the intent of the tackle, and what was the result. This AS opposed to «normal» tackles where the result is of less importance.

The point here is that Son did not at all go for the ball. One can punish such tackles without having to outlawing tackles altogether.
This feels like splitting hairs to me. Either outlaw cynical fouls completely via red cards or don't. Especially as Son's challenge would have been innocuous had Aurier not been standing where he was or if Gomes' studs hadn't gotten caught in the ground.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This, basically. As the rules are written today, it shouldn't have been a red card.

It was obvious that the result of the challenge influenced the decision, seeing as he had his yellow card out, looked over at Gomes's leg and then changed his mind and showed the red card. Terrible officiating IMO and a slippery slope, as you say.

Is this a red card too? Because Anderson's leg was broken by this tackle
Clearest red card, check at 13 seconds, he caught the standing leg with excessive force. 'Got the ball' was never the argument, it was always 'excessive force' 'endangering the safety of the player'. this is similar to Shaw's leg break, the defender blocked the shot but his trailing leg caught Shaw's standing leg with so much force that it resulted it broken leg.

roonster09

Scout
My point was not that all tactical fouls and cynical tackles are red cards. Far from it. But in cases like this, where a revenge tackle with no chance of getting the ball ends with a foot cut off, I am of the opinion that one can look at both what seemed to be the intent of the tackle, and what was the result. This AS opposed to «normal» tackles where the result is of less importance.

The point here is that Son did not at all go for the ball. One can punish such tackles without having to outlawing tackles altogether.
For some reason this point is missed. Gomes elbowed Son just few mins before and this looked more like 'revenge' tackle than just tactical fouling.

snowkarl

Care to conjure more conjecture out of the air and proclaim it as irrevocable truth? How do you possibly know Son was trying to avenge himself? Here's a hint, you cannot know.

I think it was more a tactical foul personally, Gomes running past him with the ball, better take him out. Im not about to sit here and espouse this theory as unequivocal truth however, like some, he could of been trying to get revenge for an earlier play. We will never know, only Son knows.
You don't even believe this. Look at the clip again, it's clear as day.

Son and Spurs also have a long history of this kind of violent conduct

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
Sorry but City are the worst with their 'tactical' fouls. The players have admitted that Pep tells them to do it all the time.

LDUred

This is Spurs 101.

One moment giving their most heartfelt sympathies with tearful reactions and prayers and in the next minute screaming injustice at the FA and demanding action, even while Gomes' career in the balance. It gives the lie to the comments that it puts the game of football into perspective. It took them all of 24 hours to start bleating about the red.

While I don't for a minute think he genuinely meant to break the guy's leg, it was dirty, cynical foul with no attempt to play the ball. They should just shut up and stop being so petty.

Anustart89

Clearest red card, check at 13 seconds, he caught the standing leg with excessive force. 'Got the ball' was never the argument, it was always 'excessive force' 'endangering the safety of the player'. this is similar to Shaw's leg break, the defender blocked the shot but his trailing leg caught Shaw's standing leg with so much force that it resulted it broken leg.
We’re never going to agree if you think that’s a red card tackle. He was unlucky to get caught under the trailing leg and there was hardly excessive force.

In your opinion every tackle is a potential leg breaket and thus a red card, so there’s really no point in arguing otherwise.

Your standpoint and opinion is valid but I just don’t think we’d see any game finish with 22 players on the pitch if your criteria were the ones that the laws of the game were based on.

roonster09

Scout
We’re never going to agree if you think that’s a red card tackle. He was unlucky to get caught under the trailing leg and there was hardly excessive force.

In your opinion every tackle is a potential leg breaket and thus a red card, so there’s really no point in arguing otherwise.

Your standpoint and opinion is valid but I just don’t think we’d see any game finish with 22 players on the pitch if your criteria were the ones that the laws of the game were based on.
Its not unlucky, it's reckless tackle. You can't break the leg by using excessive force on standing leg and then say "player was unlucky to catch the standing leg".

Well luckily the rules are applied as I see and most games finish with 22 players on the pitch.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
You don't even believe this. Look at the clip again, it's clear as day.

Son and Spurs also have a long history of this kind of violent conduct
I tend to be cautious rather than deal in absolutes, you cannot possibly know the motivation, you might be right, you may not. But declaring yourself right is the height of arrogance. The whole 'my opinion is correct', where is any evidence of this violent conduct from Son? Did he accrue a lot of red cards in the Bundesliga? Or is this another falsehood just conjured out of nothing? As far as I am aware that is his first red card for any kind of violent conduct in the PL. Again I may be wrong as I dont watch Spurs week in week out.

Even your argument about Spurs violent conduct doesnt hold water looking over the stats, we have accrued as many yellow cards as Spurs this season and we are equal third behind Arsenal and Watford. Ok so lets look at last season rather than just bias conjecture, hmmm nope, Spurs are 15th for yellow card accrual last season(56). Ok lets go back 2 seasons, hmm down in 18th(50). Not a lot of evidence here supporting your declarations to be honest.

The fact you don't even deign to even give credence to a lot of other factors brought up by other posters is telling. Nope 100% Son's fault.

Your whole argument revolves around that if Son didnt go flying in for the tactical foul the leg break would not have occurred. That is equally countered by saying, well if Aurier didnt stand on his foot/ankle the leg break would not have occurred. This is not a large leap of logic, would the leg break of happened with just Son flying in? No, Gomes was still running with Son on the ground behind him. Would it have happened with just Aurier? Again probably no. Both influenced the final outcome.

Rafaeldagold

Its not unlucky, it's reckless tackle. You can't break the leg by using excessive force on standing leg and then say "player was unlucky to catch the standing leg".

Well luckily the rules are applied as I see and most games finish with 22 players on the pitch.[/QUOTE

The rules aren’t applied as you see it as if any other player does a tackle like Son’s it’s a yellow. There would be 10 red cards before halftime if we applied it your way

roonster09

Scout
The rules aren’t applied as you see it as if any other player does a tackle like Son’s it’s a yellow. There would be 10 red cards before halftime if we applied it your way
Considering Son got red card for causing the injury, I would say ref and VAR agrees with me.

Rafaeldagold

Considering Son got red card for causing the injury, I would say ref and VAR agrees with me.
oh so you are saying that tackles should be treated differently depending on an injury occurring? That’s not a great or logical way to do things...

What if a harmless slightly mistimed tackle results in injury? A red? When another more vicious & dangerous foul can be given as a yellow as no injury occurred?

it makes no sense

snowkarl

I tend to be cautious rather than deal in absolutes, you cannot possibly know the motivation, you might be right, you may not. But declaring yourself right is the height of arrogance. The whole 'my opinion is correct', where is any evidence of this violent conduct from Son? Did he accrue a lot of red cards in the Bundesliga? Or is this another falsehood just conjured out of nothing? As far as I am aware that is his first red card for any kind of violent conduct in the PL. Again I may be wrong as I dont watch Spurs week in week out.

Even your argument about Spurs violent conduct doesnt hold water looking over the stats, we have accrued as many yellow cards as Spurs this season and we are equal third behind Arsenal and Watford. Ok so lets look at last season rather than just bias conjecture, hmmm nope, Spurs are 15th for yellow card accrual last season(56). Ok lets go back 2 seasons, hmm down in 18th(50). Not a lot of evidence here supporting your declarations to be honest.

The fact you don't even deign to even give credence to a lot of other factors brought up by other posters is telling. Nope 100% Son's fault.

Your whole argument revolves around that if Son didnt go flying in for the tactical foul the leg break would not have occurred. That is equally countered by saying, well if Aurier didnt stand on his foot/ankle the leg break would not have occurred. This is not a large leap of logic, would the leg break of happened with just Son flying in? No, Gomes was still running with Son on the ground behind him. Would it have happened with just Aurier? Again probably no. Both influenced the final outcome.
First of all its not arrogant to declare the sky's blue, because it's obvious.

Secondly you must see the difference in Son and Auriers parts in the injury right? Son makes an active choice and tackles Gomes whereas Aurier is simply standing and later instinctively reacting to the impact. Also you haves seen the new photo where it's clear Son causes the injury right?

Your card haul is irrelevant. Son was banned for lashing out in a violent manner less than ten game ago. He is more violent on the pitch than most players. You might not like it and his Jesus aura might go away but it's true.

He didn't mean to break Gomes ankle but he did mean to make himself felt and he now should face the consequences of those actions because he is 100 percent wholly responsible because it is 100 percent his fault.

roonster09

Scout
oh so you are saying that tackles should be treated differently depending on an injury occurring? That’s not a great or logical way to do things...

What if a harmless slightly mistimed tackle results in injury? A red? When another more vicious & dangerous foul can be given as a yellow as no injury occurred?

it makes no sense
what makes no sense is you keep repeating the same question again and again when I have already answered it.

roonster09

Scout
Well if that’s what you believe it’s illogical & ridiculous
:lol: Answer is in your post itself.

Argument is not illogical, maybe you are too thick to understand as everything is binary for you,
fecking hell, are you spambot? Posting same nonsense everyday.

You even posted the same nonsense yesterday and this was my response.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
I would like to see the end of these revenge / intentional tackles. Red was correct, it tells everyone don't do that! You run the risk of a red card - as well as injury, whether serious or not. Common sense tbh.

Velvet Revolver

I'm not looking at the incident. Seeing the players and fans close by reactions to it tells me it's not a good idea. So, all prejudice aside, is it really clear that Son had intent to injure?
According to me it is. it's clear that he went for the man and not for the ball. It is intent to bring him down ( you can call it foul or injure). The moment he tackled Son realized it was a mistake and he put his hands up. if he had gone for the ball he would not have done that

Rafaeldagold

fecking hell, are you spambot? Posting same nonsense everyday.

You even posted the same nonsense yesterday and this was my response.
only one speaking utter nonsense is you. You Can’t defend your point as it’s an awful one

roonster09

Scout
only one speaking utter nonsense is you. You Can’t defend your point as it’s an awful one
Maybe if you are not so dumb then you would have seen I have already defended my point. It's just that you have too much sand in vagina that you want same argument everyday,

Rafaeldagold

Maybe if you are not so dumb then you would have seen I have already defended my point. It's just that you have too much sand in vagina that you want same argument everyday,
What...yeh you clearly seem intelligent with a sound mind for some good points haha.

Imran Mamdani

Without a doubt, proper dirty side, people going easy on son because he cried, easier to not go out your way to lunch into a tackle where you have no chance of getting the ball...pathetic
Exactly that. and to see hoards of people actually sympathising with this is atricious. They really need to get their heads checked.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I'm surprised Spurs are appealing against the red card. Not that I think Son deliberately tried to injure Gomes. That was just an unfortunate accident. Yellow would probably have been the most appropriate card to be shown, whilst I don't agree with handing out different punishments depending on injury. Maybe there are exceptional situations like this one, where it can be justified to upgrade a yellow card to a red.

I'm surprised about the appeal because Son seemed absolutely distraught. I know he can play in other competitions for Spurs, but I would have thought taking the ban so Son has at least the next few weekends off would have done him a lot of good.

Just like not long ago when Spurs lodged an official appeal to the Premier League to take away a goal scored by one of their own players (Eriksen) and have it awarded to Kane. In that case there was some kind of backlash which ultimately had a negative impact for all those involved.

This seems like it might be heading in the same direction.

simmee

You are resorting to insults just because your argument is absolute nonsense.

You're claiming that just because the decision from the ref/var is backing your point means it's correct is flawed. Already in early September Mike Riley went out and said that VAR had made four wrong calls. A part from that I think everyone here can agree (except you, I'm guessing...) that there's been a lot of other wrong calls both by VAR and the refs.

You also compared the challenge to someone pushing another player in to the post, which is not the same since Son couldn't possibly have planned for the outcome that happened.

roonster09

Scout
You are resorting to insults just because your argument is absolute nonsense.

You're claiming that just because the decision from the ref/var is backing your point means it's correct is flawed. Already in early September Mike Riley went out and said that VAR had made four wrong calls. A part from that I think everyone here can agree (except you, I'm guessing...) that there's been a lot of other wrong calls both by VAR and the refs.

You also compared the challenge to someone pushing another player in to the post, which is not the same since Son couldn't possibly have planned for the outcome that happened.
Err no, that was not my argument and the post you quoted has nothing to do with it. This is the problem with people who don't follow the conversation but just post random nonsense.

Ref agreeing with what I said is different argument, me making my argument, defending it and don't have to repeat again is different argument. No one plans the outcome, they are not in military operations to plan well in advance, everything happens in the heat of the moment,

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Son's red card has been overturned.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Son's red card has been overturned.

So VAR changed it from a yellow to a red and now its been changed back to a yellow on appeal.

I really hope they explain why it was upgraded to a red in the first place and then why that decision was wrong.

Son's cynical foul didn't deserve a red card under the current laws though, that's for sure.

BarcaSpurs

So VAR changed it from a yellow to a red and now its been changed back to a yellow on appeal.

I really hope the explain why it was upgraded to a red in the first place and then why that decision was wrong.

Son's cynical foul didn't deserve a red card under the current laws though, that's for sure.
It wasn't VAR, the referee just changed his own mind. Completely agree with the decision to overturn and it's very frustrating to miss out on our first away win in 10 months due to this poor officiating.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

I really hope they explain why it was upgraded to a red in the first place and then why that decision was wrong.

Is it confirmed that VAR changed it to a red card? Thought it was the ref seeing the severity of the injury, which for me was problematic.

Fully agree with your last line.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Rafaeldagold

Err no, that was not my argument and the post you quoted has nothing to do with it. This is the problem with people who don't follow the conversation but just post random nonsense.

Ref agreeing with what I said is different argument, me making my argument, defending it and don't have to repeat again is different argument. No one plans the outcome, they are not in military operations to plan well in advance, everything happens in the heat of the moment,
Decision overturned so looks like refs don’t agree with you ;)