Are the Glazers preparing for a sale? | Saudis deny the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Would you take it if it meant dominating football? Very interesting times ahead of true.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Some months back, I had heard the $4bn number as well. Hadn't heard about anyone interested, though. A lot of us Tampa Bay Bucs fans wish they'd either sell Man Utd and pay attention to us, or sell the Bucs to someone who cares.
Ayyy fellow Tampanian

Water Melon

The caf never seizes to amaze me. Even the dark humour here is something else.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Companies are often sold on a multiple of EBITDA. In recent years we have been letting contracts run down and spending has significantly declined. This would support the typical additional restriction on cost when closing in on a sale.

Now we seem to be going the other way and renewing the star players, including Rashford who still has a couple of years to run. Could this be a sign that any buyer wants certainty on their first few years of investment. This would likely be the case in a sole buyer/ consortium situation with a high level of due diligence.

Similarly a buyer might have insisted on removing Jose so as to see a different side to the team and what trojectory we could go on.

This is highly speculative and could easily just be protecting against spiralling transfer costs/ hoping for the market to deflate.

There was a meeting between the glazers and arabs recently so its possible, although I'd be surprised if the arabs were so precise on due diligence as there is often bigger plays at stake than purely the profitability of the club.
They may well use EBITDA as a driver to asking price but a buyer and especially his bankers (unless a Sheikh) will need to be comfortable with future income streams and CFADS .... income/cash services future debt, not EBITDA.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Who knew Joel is the most good looking of the Glazer males.

Alemar

Prince Salman is one of the wealthiest people on Earth... and very proud one, too. He won’t tolerate fighting for top 4

Cloud7

Ugh, this disgusting rumor again. Sigh. Can’t wait for us to have the same discussions that we had in the last thread.

Why can’t they turn their attention to Atletico Madrid or Milan or something and leave United alone FFS. Even better, buy Lyon or Bordeaux and continue their pseudo rivalry with Qatar in France.

Cloud7

Prince Salman is one of the wealthiest people on Earth... and very proud one, too. He won’t tolerate fighting for top 4
Managers who don’t make the top 4 will be given a personal invitation to the Saudi embassy to have a performance review.

King.of.Red

well, I hope this Glazers family sell United soon and I hope richer person/family will buy United. I dont really care if Saudi prince decides to buy us at least as a fan, I don't need to feel big jealousy towards shitty or psg. Then, we can bid superstars like Mbappe without thinking money too much. :D

deadrevelz

Is there any financial reason they would want to sell now as opposed to five years ago, or five years in the future?

I don't know enough about the financial side but unless they are bored of running the club and feel they can't maintain the revenue without investing more than they want to, I don't see why they would. It's a cash cow for them isn't it? They make a tidy profit without much effort and can sell it whenever they want for another (huge) profit. It's like a crappy landlord with a buy-to-let.

Reactions: Penna

Alemar

It’s not that he is a prince (princes are in abundance), it’s that he is a future Saudi King.

sam147

I would rather be a propaganda machine for a Saudi regime while dominating football than being a cash cow for a bunch of leeches while being insignificant. A few more years of incompetence from Woodward and dividends being shared out and the club will be years behind all our rivals. Right now we still have a chance. Its a no brainer. All Saudis will do is invest what we make back into the club which is how it should be.

Johan07

Companies are often sold on a multiple of EBITDA. In recent years we have been letting contracts run down and spending has significantly declined. This would support the typical additional restriction on cost when closing in on a sale.

Now we seem to be going the other way and renewing the star players, including Rashford who still has a couple of years to run. Could this be a sign that any buyer wants certainty on their first few years of investment. This would likely be the case in a sole buyer/ consortium situation with a high level of due diligence.

Similarly a buyer might have insisted on removing Jose so as to see a different side to the team and what trojectory we could go on.

This is highly speculative and could easily just be protecting against spiralling transfer costs/ hoping for the market to deflate.

There was a meeting between the glazers and arabs recently so its possible, although I'd be surprised if the arabs were so precise on due diligence as there is often bigger plays at stake than purely the profitability of the club.
It has nothing to do with this. We have been running down our older contracts because of the size of our wage bill. Which is already too big.
The older contracts are actually cheap compared to what it costs to renew a contract in todays market. Or to sign a new player at 2019 wages. You have to be quite a conspiracy theorist to believe that this has anything to do with the Glazers plans for the club.

Fluctuation0161

well, I hope this Glazers family sell United soon and I hope richer person/family will buy United. I dont really care if Saudi prince decides to buy us at least as a fan, I don't need to feel big jealousy towards shitty or psg. Then, we can bid superstars like Mbappe without thinking money too much. :D
feck that. Don't want to he a sellout like those clubs.

FujiVice

It's going to happen one day. The game is well and truly going this way. Football will be owned by the super rich, not just the very rich, in the near future. Sooner or later the Glazers will sell to some cnuts. And considering this rumour isnt new, and still has legs, I wouldnt be stunned if it happens soon.

C'est Moi Cantona

I have to say it's alot easier to contemplate a takeover like this after the Glazer's years we have had to endure, than it would have been before them, the thought of them fleecing us from now to eternity is a horrible thought, much like any Saudi takeover is just as unappealing, but the reality there is very few people with that sort of money, and fewer still who would spend it on us, and the thought of us been takeover in a similar fashion the way the Glazer's took us over just doesn't bear thinking about.

It's bad situation, but something has to change, or we are just going to see City disappearing ever more into the distance, as FIFA clearly have no intention of stopping them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry but I just don't get this attitude. Under Saudi leadership, we would end up with a team of mercenaries who only cared about they could get from the club rather than what they can give to the club.

We wouldn't be a Man United anymore, we'd be a propaganda machine for an evil dictatorship. Every ounce of success gained from their investment would be tainted and ultimately worthless. The club would become a hollow shell, a plastic nothingness. Irrelevant.

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse fate for our club than to be taken over by this scum. I just want these rumours to die a horrible death already.

FujiVice

Cue the "I'd rather be a Saudi than a Scouse" chants next season.

nainaisson

I would rather be a propaganda machine for a Saudi regime while dominating football than being a cash cow for a bunch of leeches while being insignificant. A few more years of incompetence from Woodward and dividends being shared out and the club will be years behind all our rivals. Right now we still have a chance. Its a no brainer. All Saudis will do is invest what we make back into the club which is how it should be.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

piesel

At the first couple of world class transfers everyone will drool over them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sorry but I just don't get this attitude. Under Saudi leadership, we would end up with a team of mercenaries who only cared about they could get from the club rather than what they can give to the club.

We wouldn't be a Man United anymore, we'd be a propaganda machine for an evil dictatorship. Every ounce of success gained from their investment would be tainted and ultimately worthless. The club would become a hollow shell, a plastic nothingness. Irrelevant.

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse fate for our club than to be taken over by this scum. I just want these rumours to die a horrible death already.
It's a little bit off topic but the EU added Saudi Arabia in their money laundering blacklist.

MiceOnMeth

If it means that when the next Mbappe emerges we'll be in the hunt for him then feck it I'm all for it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Would you take it if it meant dominating football? Very interesting times ahead of true.
I think so. When it was just Chelsea doing it you could moralise about how we earned our own money etc. But now it seems like all the top clubs are at it, and with us being also rans in the league and Europe we need something to get back up there and competing with these clubs.

Obviously there’s a line. I wouldn’t like to see us owned by slave drivers like City, but I still feel like we restrain ourselves when going for the best players around. I don’t see Woodward signing off on either Neymar or Mbappe the way PSG did for instance. Maybe we need to be matching them unless we want to be left behind.

OverratedOpinion

I don't personally care too much who owns the club which is why my past criticism of City has resolved around the superficial nature of their success rather than the human rights violations of their owners. That said I would find it very hard to stomach United being used as a propaganda tool for this tourism campaign the Saudi leadership are pushing. I understand that it is an enticing proposition and that based on us being a much bigger club than City or PSG we would have potential to dominate world football if we had the same degree of outside backing but there are plenty of multi billionaires out there who don't subjugate millions of people to life without basic human rights.

minoo-utd

Who cares! As long as they go big in the market like the big boys doing now, then I'd cheer for it surely.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I have to say it's alot easier to contemplate a takeover like this after the Glazer's years we have had to endure, than it would have been before them, the thought of them fleecing us from now to eternity is a horrible thought, much like any Saudi takeover is just as unappealing, but the reality there is very few people with that sort of money, and fewer still who would spend it on us, and the thought of us been takeover in a similar fashion the way the Glazer's took us over just doesn't bear thinking about.

It's bad situation, but something has to change, or we are just going to see City disappearing ever more into the distance, as FIFA clearly have no intention of stopping them.
FFS. I'd stop supporting the club if the new owner is a Saudi Prince. It would totally ruin the club for me.

Water Melon

Could a potential sale be one of the reasons of not recruiting a DoF?

buchansleftleg

If there's anything to these rumours then I can't see anything happening until the fallout from Brexit happens. If you had £5Bn down the back of a sofa you would surely wait until either the stock market tanks after no deal, or stabilises with a deal.

I can see big changes happening in May.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I wouldn't care....the football world is shit since the Chelsea's, Manchester City's and PSG's......just another terrible owner for us but hopefully then at least more money for transfers.
I don't personally care too much who owns the club which is why my past criticism of City has resolved around the superficial nature of their success rather than the human rights violations of their owners. That said I would find it very hard to stomach United being used as a propaganda tool for this tourism campaign the Saudi leadership are pushing. I understand that it is an enticing proposition and that based on us being a much bigger club than City or PSG we would have potential to dominate world football if we had the same degree of outside backing but there are plenty of multi billionaires out there who don't subjugate millions of people to life without basic human rights.
Who cares! As long as they go big in the market like the big boys doing now, then I'd cheer for it surely.
Where do you draw the line? You don't mind someone that owns slaves, shits on women and allows them to be stoned to death for nothing and is rich because he's in a position to screw over a whole nation. Kim Jong-Un would be fine as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.