g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Are the Glazers preparing for a sale? | Saudis deny the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm a fan of glazer. I think they're a rock solid owner who knows what they're doing. Would rather them than any other epl owners at the moment.

I dont see why people call them leeching. They took reasonable divident, invest accordingly and we're far from skint in purchases bar that one season post ronaldo sales.

We're big and earnt our own money and spent money that we earnt as a proper entity and not by unfair money injection.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I'm a fan of glazer. I think they're a rock solid owner who knows what they're doing. Would rather them than any other epl owners at the moment.

I dont see why people call them leeching. They took reasonable divident, invest accordingly and we're far from skint in purchases bar that one season post ronaldo sales.

We're big and earnt our own money and spent money that we earnt as a proper entity and not by unfair money injection.
Everton outspent us last summer

El Presidente

If there ever was a dilemma, the PSG game solved it for me. We like to refer to Man United as “the biggest club in the world”, yet we don’t look nor act like it. Every now and then a truly elite club comes here, teaches us a football lesson and leaves. Juventus, PSG and Bayern did it most recently.

We lack ambition. We have the money, we have the pull, history, traditions etc. Yet, we gave new contracts to Jones and Rojo, our RBs are 40year old failed wingers and somehow we don’t have a single right footed actual winger in the whole squad. How many years average footballers like those mentioned will last in Barca, Bayern, City? Fellaini was close to testimonial ffs. We are content with being just fine, nothing more. And that’s a crime towards this club, which should be so much more.

I don’t give a shit who comes as long as he has the ambition to turn an elite club on paper into an actual one.

Revan

Assumptionman
Everton outspent us last summer
As they outspent Real Madrid.

You cannot look only in a single window and come to some conclusion. Since Fergie left and we started the Ed era, the only clubs that have outspent us (wages + transfers) are City, PSG and Barcelona. This 'we are skint under Glazers' has no basis on reality, but if people say the same lie many times, for some it becomes real.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If there ever was a dilemma, the PSG game solved it for me. We like to refer to Man United as “the biggest club in the world”, yet we don’t look nor act like it. Every now and then a truly elite club comes here, teaches us a football lesson and leaves. Juventus, PSG and Bayern did it most recently.

We lack ambition. We have the money, we have the pull, history, traditions etc. Yet, we gave new contracts to Jones and Rojo, our RBs are 40year old failed wingers and somehow we don’t have a single right footed actual winger in the whole squad. How many years average footballers like those mentioned will last in Barca, Bayern, City? Fellaini was close to testimonial ffs. We are content with being just fine, nothing more. And that’s a crime towards this club, which should be so much more.

I don’t give a shit who comes as long as he has the ambition to turn an elite club on paper into an actual one.
Biggest does not mean best on the field much like greatest doesn't mean the most skilled.

I do agree with the acting part.

Cloud7

It's not just the moral bankruptcy of the Saudi regime. Its also a question of whether buying success, buying dozens of ready made world class players, is actually what we want. People pay a lot of lip service to traditions, youth development and local players. What happens to all that when the Saudis want to buy a £100m player in every position? Would people still enjoy winning like that? Honestly, it sounds hollow to me. I just don't see the point in it.
That sounds so boring. It’s like playing a video game and having invincibility, unlimited money and access to every single weapon and armor in the game. What’s the point of playing if that’s the case? Where is the fun supposed to come from?

Edit: I see you made a similar point further down. Great minds think alike.

Siorac

You cannot look only in a single window and come to some conclusion. Since Fergie left and we started the Ed era, the only clubs that have outspent us (wages + transfers) are City, PSG and Barcelona. This 'we are skint under Glazers' has no basis on reality, but if people say the same lie many times, for some it becomes real.
Indeed. The truth is that we spent our money horribly. 63m for Di Maria, 75m for Lukaku, the wages we waste on Sanchez every week, the list goes on. That's what needs to change.

deadrevelz

Hail our capitalist overlords!

You missed out the Age of Value where instead of investing in the squad between 2009 and 2013 they forced us to rely on scraps, good luck (Hernandez, RvP) and Fergie's genius. This is why we struggled in the CL before Fergie left and one reason why we struggled after. We lost the league to City on goal difference. Just one good signing could have stopped that.

No-one is saying we are 'skint' now. We are saying that spending a moderate amount of the clubs earnings in the last 5 years doesn't make up for the fact that they dragged us down from the top of English and European football to fill their pockets. They are also inept, because as GREAT BUSINESS MEN they should have seen how the financial landscape would change and realised that investing back then would be cheaper in the long run than desperately buying players now with inflated prices. Losing out on money from performing badly and having to pay extortionate wages to players to convince them to come here.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hail our capitalist overlords!

You missed out the Age of Value where instead of investing in the squad between 2009 and 2013 they forced us to rely on scraps, good luck (Hernandez, RvP) and Fergie's genius. This is why we struggled in the CL before Fergie left and one reason why we struggled after. We lost the league to City on goal difference. Just one good signing could have stopped that.

No-one is saying we are 'skint' now. We are saying that spending a moderate amount of the clubs earnings in the last 5 years doesn't make up for the fact that they dragged us down from the top of English and European football to fill their pockets. They are also inept, because as GREAT BUSINESS MEN they should have seen how the financial landscape would change and realised that investing back then would be cheaper in the long run than desperately buying players now with inflated prices. Losing out on money from performing badly and having to pay extortionate wages to players to convince them to come here.
I really don't want this to become another thread about Glazers (there is a big one on it), so I'll reply only to this and leave it there:

- Fergie always said that they supported him and never complained (he complained multiple times for PLC not supporting him enough). He always said that the choice to not spent was his. The moment he retired, we started spending like drunken sailors. So, if anyone needs to be blamed for not spending much is him, not them. And well, blaming him is stupid cause he was winning anyway.

- Even if they didn't spend back then it has nothing to do with the situation we are now. Since Fergie left, we have spend more than 2 billion in transfers and wages. Even if literally we had no players at all when Fergie left (let alone having a title-winning squad like we had), 2 billions should have been enough to build a title-challenging team from the scratch.

- I actually think that our squad is title challenging providing it has a good manager.

- We have wasted a lot of money on shit and not interested players.

TLDR: We spend a shitload of money, but we are bad at how we spend it. We definitely don't need a sugar daddy to be competitive. Liverpool seem quite competitive nowadays and since Fergie left, they have actually spend significantly less money than us, while also starting with a worse squad. The most important thing for us is to start spending the money better.

That also has nothing to do with the Saudi overlords. Even if I knew for the fact that one day after they buy us, our attack will consist of Messi, Ronaldo and Mbappe, with Pogba, Veratti behind them and with world class players in every position, I still wouldn't want United to become the propaganda tool of a genocidal monster.

InfiniteBoredom

The word ‘politics’ being used repeatedly is nauseating. This is basic human decency, MBS and the House of Saud are directly responsible this very moment for the suffering of millions, it’s not a weaselly Oxbridge educated politician taking money under the table from big corporation.

Even Donald fecking Trump looks like Jesus incarnated compared to this lot.

deadrevelz

I really don't want this to become another thread about Glazers (there is a big one on it), so I'll reply only to this and leave it there:

- Fergie always said that they supported him and never complained (he complained multiple times for PLC not supporting him enough). He always said that the choice to not spent was his. The moment he retired, we started spending like drunken sailors. So, if anyone needs to be blamed for not spending much is him, not them. And well, blaming him is stupid cause he was winning anyway.

- Even if they didn't spend back then it has nothing to do with the situation we are now. Since Fergie left, we have spend more than 2 billion in transfers and wages. Even if literally we had no players at all when Fergie left (let alone having a title-winning squad like we had), 2 billions should have been enough to build a title-challenging team from the scratch.

- I actually think that our squad is title challenging providing it has a good manager.

- We have wasted a lot of money on shit and not interested players.

TLDR: We spend a shitload of money, but we are bad at how we spend it. We definitely don't need a sugar daddy to be competitive. Liverpool seem quite competitive nowadays and since Fergie left, they have actually spend significantly less money than us, while also starting with a worse squad. The most important thing for us is to start spending the money better.

That also has nothing to do with the Saudi overlords. Even if I knew for the fact that one day after they buy us, our attack will consist of Messi, Ronaldo and Mbappe, with Pogba, Veratti behind them and with world class players in every position, I still wouldn't want United to become the propaganda tool of a genocidal monster.
I don't want the Saudis either. I just want the Glazers to reduce the amount of money they take from the club and reinvest it. The Liverpool owners are much better. They were able to buy players cheaper because they weren't a top club, but now they are improving with revenue up they are reinvesting large sums. They have taken that club up, ours have took us down.

Ferguson saying he didn't need to spend is like Ole saying his whole squad is brilliant and we don't need new players. It's a lie. Fergie never had a problem spending before then, and considering we were competing with City and had just been outplayed by Barca in the CL that would have been an even greater incentive to spend. He wasn't in a position to criticise the Glazers as he didn't want to look weak, especially having forced out the previous owners due to an argument over a racehorse.

The 2 Billion figure is fiction and makes no sense. And yes, clearly underinvesting in the past affects future performance.

Our squad is not title challenging in its current state, literally no-one else believes that.

I agree that our player purchases have been extremely poor. I don't see how that reflects well on the Glazers though. All managers make bad purchases.

I am also done with this thread now. :)

lewwoo

I guess you meant 'some of us are opportunistic pricks who don't care about United being the plaything of a genocidal bastard as long as he buys us the new toys'.
Yes that was exactly what I meant. Well done.

tomaldinho1

Precisely - I feel this kind of ends the debate here. We have spent a bucket load since the Glazers arrived, it's not their fault we've invested it woefully.

I'd be interested if anyone can think of another club that has so consistently bought players that didn't work out. We must be near the top of the list.

Anders Agnalt

For some reason that's against the law now!

cyril C

I don't want the Saudis either. I just want the Glazers to reduce the amount of money they take from the club and reinvest it. The Liverpool owners are much better. They were able to buy players cheaper because they weren't a top club, but now they are improving with revenue up they are reinvesting large sums. They have taken that club up, ours have took us down.

Ferguson saying he didn't need to spend is like Ole saying his whole squad is brilliant and we don't need new players. It's a lie. Fergie never had a problem spending before then, and considering we were competing with City and had just been outplayed by Barca in the CL that would have been an even greater incentive to spend. He wasn't in a position to criticise the Glazers as he didn't want to look weak, especially having forced out the previous owners due to an argument over a racehorse.

The 2 Billion figure is fiction and makes no sense. And yes, clearly underinvesting in the past affects future performance.

Our squad is not title challenging in its current state, literally no-one else believes that.

I agree that our player purchases have been extremely poor. I don't see how that reflects well on the Glazers though. All managers make bad purchases.

I am also done with this thread now. :)
Talking about Liverpool being better, extract from Wiki

"...In May 2010, accounts were released showing the holding company of the club to be £350m in debt (due to leveraged takeover) with losses of £55m, causing auditor KPMG to qualify its audit opinion.[108] The group's creditors, including the Royal Bank of Scotland, took Gillett and Hicks to court to force them to allow the board to proceed with the sale of the club, the major asset of the holding company. A High Court judge, Mr Justice Floyd, ruled in favour of the creditors and paved the way for the sale of the club to Fenway Sports Group (formerly New England Sports Ventures), although Gillett and Hicks still had the option to appeal.[109] Liverpool was sold to Fenway Sports Group on 15 October 2010 for £300m....."

Latest financial figure might revealed a lower debt no. but otherwise both were financed via leveraged takeover. In fact, Liverpool went through a constant changes in managers and cycle of bad judgement on players recruitment. They were simply more right than wrong in recent years while we went through a bad patch. But as Liverpool is building up an expensive squad, their wage bill goes up, if they can't reach CL final again, it will be 50m (loss) in revenue. Miss CL qualification (unlikely this season), that will be another 50m (loss)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

This.

VJ1762

Looks like something is on the cards lads. It just mentions Saudi Arabian buyers. Do you guys reckon they are representatives of MBS? Also, who is this Zahavi guy?

Mr Smith

Indeed. The truth is that we spent our money horribly. 63m for Di Maria, 75m for Lukaku, the wages we waste on Sanchez every week, the list goes on. That's what needs to change.
Exactly, and that's hardly the Glazer's fault. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't understand the fuss over the Glazers. There was a period where they seemed like penny pinchers around the late 2000's, early 2010's, but the club was in massive debt then. Ever since we've made a profit the outlay has been perfectly respectable. I wouldn't go as far as to say I like the Glazer's; I'd certainly prefer to be owned by fans of the club who's number one priority is not profit, but making the club successful, but we could do a heck of a lot worse.

Slysi17

Looks like the Glazers maybe want to sell. I made a post earlier saying I didn't buy that Saudi ministers tweet. Honestly have mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't mind this as long as they invested in the club and our long term future is healthy.

reddaz71

You would not want the Saudis to own Liverpool or another of our rivals, hopefully they do indeed buy Utd because they will be everything the Glazers aren't, they will no doubt invest in the local community, invest in the redevelopment of the stadium, greatly improve the team/squad and the club will be debt free and challenge the likes City, psg, Barca, now thats a fair list of positives of where I want the club to be, how about you....

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You would not want the Saudis to own Liverpool or another of our rivals, hopefully they do indeed buy Utd because they will be everything the Glazers aren't, they will no doubt invest in the local community, invest in the redevelopment of the stadium, greatly improve the team/squad and the club will be debt free and challenge the likes City, psg, Barca, now thats a fair list of positives of where I want the club to be, how about you....
They literally kill people who disagree with them.

sugar_kane

We already sold our soul from a football perspective once when we got Mourinho in - this would be selling our soul on a whole other scale.

I don’t care how much money they would bring, we are a club with values and we need to strive to stick to those. It’s what sets us apart from our noisy neighbours and the likes of Chelsea.

Say what you like about the Glazers they have invested a lot on the field in the past few years - our lack of success is not down to their lack of investment (or profit skimming) as owners but rather poor decisions made around succession planning post-Fergie.

It feels like with Ole we’re finding our way as a club again, this would be a huge step backwards.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
@Sky1981, I agree with your view that they're decent owners, and I'd much rather have them than many of the others. The money hasn't been invested well and three managers in six years hasn't helped.

Denis' cuff

reddaz71

This is probably happening folks like it or not, Qatar have the world cup and psg, Abu Dhabi have City, now Saudi wants a slice of the action, and bring it on as this will make us an even bigger juggernaut to be completely honest!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We already sold our soul from a football perspective once when we got Mourinho in - this would be selling our soul on a whole other scale.

I don’t care how much money they would bring, we are a club with values and we need to strive to stick to those. It’s what sets us apart from our noisy neighbours and the likes of Chelsea.

Say what you like about the Glazers they have invested a lot on the field in the past few years - our lack of success is not down to their lack of investment (or profit skimming) as owners but rather poor decisions made around succession planning post-Fergie.

It feels like with Ole we’re finding our way as a club again, this would be a huge step backwards.
We hire a defensive manager who wons cups for us.

Selling our soul... some of you lot are so precious.

J_XO

Whoever the Saudis buy, it will seem like game over for everyone else. The amount of money they have is ridiculous

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This is probably happening folks like it or not, Qatar have the world cup and psg, Abu Dhabi have City, now Saudi wants a slice of the action, and bring it on as this will make us an even bigger juggernaut to be completely honest!
Don't think it will happen.

acnumber9

The larger investments have mostly been for entirely the wrong reasons though. The big signings may as well be accounted for in the marketing departments budget. That’s what their purpose has been. When it came to signing players that our manager thought would make the team better the budget shrinks all of a sudden. The same board who didn’t want to overpay for a defender would’ve pissed their pants at the idea of spending £100m on Gareth Bale. The argument over whether Mourinho wanted to sign the right players is for a different topic but the point for me remains that the board don’t care if the club is successful as long as they make money. This is the problem.

sugar_kane

The larger investments have mostly been for entirely the wrong reasons though. The big signings may as well be accounted for in the marketing departments budget. That’s what their purpose has been. When it came to signing players that our manager thought would make the team better the budget shrinks all of a sudden. The same board who didn’t want to overpay for a defender would’ve pissed their pants at the idea of spending £100m on Gareth Bale. The argument over whether Mourinho wanted to sign the right players is for a different topic but the point for me remains that the board don’t care if the club is successful as long as they make money. This is the problem.
I agree, they were bad investments from a footballing perspective but is that down to the owners or to Ed Woodward and would it change or get worse with other new owners who have never run a Premier League team before?

It’s a separate problem which is solved by getting a Director of Football installed.

cyberman

I agree, they were bad investments from a footballing perspective but is that down to the owners or to Ed Woodward and would it change or get worse with other new owners who have never run a Premier League team before?

It’s a separate problem which is solved by getting a Director of Football installed.
A director of football wouldn't have final day over transfers.

Siorac

Where does this marketing shit come from, seriously? Was Lukaku signed to sell merchandise? Because if so, I'd fire the head of marketing immediately for extreme stupidity.

Was Pogba signed to sell shirts? Because he suspiciously looks like our best outfield player by a country mile.

Did we spend 50m on Fred because he's so popular in South Korea or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.