Are the Glazers preparing for a sale? | Saudis deny the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're suggesting the wealthy should be entitled to pay what they choose in the manner of a charitable donation but Joe Sixpack and those like him should be obliged to pay the set amount? Yeah, I can see why you and Joe aren't getting along.
While more like a Joe Sixpack myself, I can see why those paying incredible amounts in tax aren't best pleased and do their best to reduce it.
Especially as often they are the ones generating a lot of the jobs.

Giggsyking

How do you know he didn't vote for the opposition? How do you know he voted at all?

Such a bizarre argument.
Not bizarre at all. People close their eyes on things they dont feel comfortable with. The Swedes know their country sells weapons to that regime (not only weapons but trade in many aspects including energy) and this creates jobs and money pour in in Sweden that strengthen their economy. Even if he did not vote at all, he still have money that might have originated from Saudia Arabia.

Last edited:

reddaz71

Coming out publicly with denials merely adds to the smoke and theres far too much smoke to be just a rumour, IF its true then the denial is probably aimed at not trying to cause any distractions mid season.

Giggsyking

Same religion, more or less. Al Qaeda was originally formed as a specific response to the stationing of US troops near Mecca after the first Gulf War.

IS is a bit different. More of a death ****.
Saudi version of Islam called wahabism and is very near from that AL Qaeda and ISIS ideology.

mu4c_20le

Coming out publicly with denials merely adds to the smoke and theres far too much smoke to be just a rumour, IF its true then the denial is probably aimed at not trying to cause any distractions mid season.
Yeah means nothing.. in fact, if there was no intent they probably wouldn't have even said anything at all. Troubling times.

Siorac

Not bizarre at all. People close their eyes on things they dont feel comfortable with. The Swedes know their country sells weapons to that regime (not only weapons but trade in many aspects including energy) and this creates jobs and money poor in in Sweden that strengthen their economy. Even if he did not vote at all, he still have money that might have originated from Saudia Arabia.
So? Do you suggest he should overthrow the Swedish government? Or stop paying taxes and go into hiding? Or what? How do you know he's not a political activist who strongly condemns Sweden's ties to Saudi Arabia?

Seriously, you make no sense whatsoever.

SAFMUTD

If we are discussing purely the football effect I think it will be great, having oil monney spend like crazy and get the best players it would surely improve us. From the other side regarding the morality of the "blood money" it won't be good but won't be tragic, if it was for me to decide I would say go for it.

Giggsyking

So? Do you suggest he should overthrow the Swedish government? Or stop paying taxes and go into hiding? Or what? How do you know he's not a political activist who strongly condemns Sweden's ties to Saudi Arabia?

Seriously, you make no sense whatsoever.
Well, I make sens. It just does not fit your standards. I will not explain more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neil Custis is saying there's genuine interest from the Saudis in buying United.

Scholsey2004

While more like a Joe Sixpack myself, I can see why those paying incredible amounts in tax aren't best pleased and do their best to reduce it.
Especially as often they are the ones generating a lot of the jobs.
And the majority of people are generating wealth for them in return. Western capitalism is like a pyramid scheme where the majority are working to earn money for themselves and those above them. Since a vast proportion of Jeff Bezos wealth was generated for him by other people with no effort required on his part it doesn't seem unreasonable that he pay his due in taxes.

Scholsey2004

Saudi version of Islam called wahabism and is very near from that AL Qaeda and ISIS ideology.
No, Saudi Arabia is Sunni. Qatar is the state where Wahabiism is the major religion. Sunni Islam is the religion of the great majority of Muslims.

Scholsey2004

We need a poll on this subject I think because whilst some clearly feel very strongly about the subject we need to know what the concensus opinion is.

diarm

It would be a real shame to walk away from the club now after Ole has come in and made me fall in love with it all over again. If the Saudis are going to buy us out, I wish they'd done it during the mire of the last 5 years so at least I could've consoled myself with the idea that we were shit anyway.

I love football and I love United but being owned by that shower of scum would be a step too far. I don't know who the feck I would follow if it were to happen - I'd probably end up losing interest in watching British football and try to invest myself in a local Irish side.

gulli_G

No, Saudi Arabia is Sunni. Qatar is the state where Wahabiism is the major religion. Sunni Islam is the religion of the great majority of Muslims.
Sorry mate you are wrong, Saudi is the source of Wahabiism, which is a misconstrued version of Sunniism. There only 2 types of Muslims, Shia or sunni. All Wahabiis will say they are Sunni also.

Scholsey2004

Sorry mate you are wrong, Saudi is the source of Wahabiism, which is a misconstrued version of Sunniism. There only 2 types of Muslims, Shia or sunni. All Wahabiis will say they are Sunni also.
Yes, you're right actually, I hadn't realised that Saudi 'Sunnis' are in fact wahabists. It explains a lot actually vis-a-vis why Islam has become so militant in recent decades that wahabism has been promoted by Saudi at great expense as the principal version of Sunni Islam. It's rather an extreme sect that I believe destroys relics from other religions during religious practices.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Wahabi is an extreme offshoot of Sunni. It is the religion of Saudi Arabia. From the wiki...

Today Ibn Abd Al-Wahhab's teachings are the official, state-sponsored form of Sunni Islam in Saudi Arabia.

Reiver

Rightly, the question of who we are owned by is an important subject. But is there any concrete evidence to suggest that the Saudis are trying to buy the club. It seems conjecture at best.

dave1956

Are we now saying that we are basing supporting the club on a religious basis. If so one should look at the religious bias of the club in transfer dealings under Sir Matt and the seats in the directors box which were reserved for members of the local Catholic convent.

VJ1762

I am just saying, with the near certainity of city's domination in the next decade, I wouldn't mind if our prospective Saudi overlords splashed out on say a neymar, mbappe and sancho in the near future. Who knows, we might even sign messi by giving 1 or 2 billion pounds to barcelona. I am sure the Saudi's can pass the FA's 'fit and proper test'.

Scholsey2004

Wahabi is an extreme offshoot of Sunni. It is the religion of Saudi Arabia. From the wiki...

Today Ibn Abd Al-Wahhab's teachings are the official, state-sponsored form of Sunni Islam in Saudi Arabia.
Yeah, I know that now.

Scholsey2004

Are we now saying that we are basing supporting the club on a religious basis. If so one should look at the religious bias of the club in transfer dealings under Sir Matt and the seats in the directors box which were reserved for members of the local Catholic convent.
If anyone has made that assertion then I missed it. I doubt many sensible people would think that a club which has been directly courting international support for decades has a preconceived notion of what it's supporters religious beliefs should be.

Scholsey2004

Unfortunate. I'm still hoping for a big money takeover. I just want 10 back to back champions leagues.
Yes, it's not like we haven't all had to swallow our objections before during a takeover. At least MBS would invest in the club rather than use it as a cash cow. Having said all that though what if MBS gets sanctioned at some point? That'd be catastrophic for us as one of his businesses.

DSG

I do believe that if the Glazers were to sell, they would open it up to several bids. I also think that if they were to sell to the Saudis, there is enough unhappiness with the Saudi regime in the States and England that there would be all kinds of negative pr, protests, etc. is it worth an extra billion? Would another bid win?

In retrospect, the English FA really screwed themselves by allowing UAE to own a team. A country should never be allowed to own a team, it is potentially a danger to the entire EPL. One small, tiny atrocity like torturing and beheading a Washington Post journalist on foreign soil at the direct order of the head of government (who also happens to own an EPL team), and the entire league could suffer. Protests, boycotts, you name it. Good thing that would never happen...

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Be unfortunate and far from ideal, but we support the club, not the owners.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
I think it's sad that clubs that means so much for so many. Clubs with large history becomes rich oil dudes and suchs toys just to showoff. Often people from countries that break all human laws.

The money often come from corruption much of it is not legal and they do what they want with the club. suddenly they can change the club colors and they play around with the club until they grow tired of it. Sometimes you can be lucky but look at the owners that took over Blackburn, Cardiff and several other clubs. Basically you'll never know what you'll get and often the money is taken from the people that live in those countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

gulli_G

Yes, you're right actually, I hadn't realised that Saudi 'Sunnis' are in fact wahabists. It explains a lot actually vis-a-vis why Islam has become so militant in recent decades that wahabism has been promoted by Saudi at great expense as the principal version of Sunni Islam. It's rather an extreme sect that I believe destroys relics from other religions during religious practices.
I disagree with Islam becoming militant, real Muslims don't regard the likes of Isis as Muslims; more like terrorists trying to justify their evil by trying to misinterpret Islam and then use it to hide behind. Out of the 1.8 billion Muslims Isis does not even make the. .000001%, hence most Muslims are peaceful loving people, a bunch of Isis whackos do not represent them at all. Saudi would like to think their version of Islam is the correct but it is a still a minority view in comparison to other sunni Muslims outside of Saudi.

Stepney73

I think most(including me)are more for ridding ourselves of the glazers and having owners who want Manchester United to be the best on the pitch and not just off it and MBS is one of the few who could afford the asking price up front.
As said we don't need a sugar daddy like the plastic clubs as we can stand on our own two feet.

adnando

UK and US taxpayers are giving money, literally funding politicians who spend billions on killing people and overthrowing governments. I'd guess most of these taxpayers would not wars, but they are obliged to pay the money. Having Saudis as owners is not an ideal situation, but seeing MBS at OT occasionally would not stop me from supporting United. I would be happy if Saudi money is spent on football players and infrastructure, instead of wars.
Problem is that the money spent on football won't affect the money spent on wars, it will only be a tool to legitimize it.

Fracture90

When your government is murderous, invade another country and causes the death of thousands, you "the regular people" cant do anything about it even though the killing is being made in the name of your country. You can protest, you can do anything possible legally to show your government your disapproval. On the other hand you can do the same to club owners you dont like. You protest, you carry green and gold scarfs. But there is a big difference, we football club fans cant choose our owners, while people chooses their government.
I don't really argue that, you're on point there but in politics you're usually forced to pick the lesser of two evil, whilst when it comes to your club changing owners, it's not really the case.

Fracture90

But there was the square root of FA to this though, just like last time. Anyone with an ounce of credibility had said nothing about it, and yet, people saw fit to discuss it for 15 fecking pages :eek:
But why not though? But what's wrong with discussing the news that might ad well come true in the future? I mean if you're bothered by people discussing stuff on forums, you don't really get the point of having forums imo.

Fracture90

@Fracture90 you have been chatting some shite in here all morning. From them changing the name of the stadium, not playing the youth and constantly saying we'll buy Neymar. The amount of assumptions you have made are ridiculous. No deal looks likely as it was only the fat man from the sun saying it, there media team have denied the rumour for now. For all the things you've said that Saudi's will do maybe we should look at what the current owners haven't done. We are all aware of the political storm surrounding the Prince, not everyone needs to be told over and over again. We know your strongly against a takeover, others aren't because they have had enough of the Glazers and want a change.
Much like you're assuming everyone against saudi takeover would jump onto the bandwagon the moment we start signing big name players, eh?

maverickjesus

The Chevrolet sponsorship deal was announced in 2012, to start the 14/15 season and run for 7 years to 2021. That puts the neogtiations for a replacement sponsor squarely into this year (Chevrolet sure as hell aren't coming back). I think its way more likely the Saudis are pitching Saudi Aramco as the new sponsor than looking for an outright purchase.

deef

I rather have less money to spend than have anything to do with this lot!
We have money and are willing to spend it for the right targets as it is.

Would make it really difficult for me support the club if the saudis take over.

JohnnyLaw

I am not ready to give up anything. I just dont fecking care who owns the club. Why would I? We live in a world where we have choices to make that affects people lives everyday, why would caring for who own Manchester united that " something I cant control" make me stop or continue watching the team. You are Swedish, did you know how much weapons and ammunition your government sold to that same regime for many many years? It is a government you voted for many times and maybe part of your own salary comes from that Saudi money. I bet you did not say I will not accept my salary because it is tinted with Saudi money?!
Because you’d be an actively and directly contributing to a murderous regime and helping to furthering their agendas, not wanting to be a part of that would be one such choice you mention no?

And the Swedish people aren’t ok with selling guns to the Saudis. Our weapons dealings were only really brought to light last summer and unfortunately for the poeple who do care, both the ruling government and the main opposition doesn’t seem to care about which they are being criticized for, but my vote would’ve done feck all to change it even as I did vote for the opposition.

Not supporting United would hurt but to be completely frank, United are a pass time thing. I don’t need it and my family doesn’t need it from me. There’s other things one can use their spare time for.

Adebesi

It would be a real shame to walk away from the club now after Ole has come in and made me fall in love with it all over again. If the Saudis are going to buy us out, I wish they'd done it during the mire of the last 5 years so at least I could've consoled myself with the idea that we were shit anyway.

I love football and I love United but being owned by that shower of scum would be a step too far. I don't know who the feck I would follow if it were to happen - I'd probably end up losing interest in watching British football and try to invest myself in a local Irish side.
I feel like this.

A few months ago when these rumours started floating around I texted a mate and said if the Saudis buy United I'm done with football. Yesterday I texted him back and said actually I'm not sure I can follow through on this now.

I can't stop supporting United, I certainly can't manufacture interest in another club. But if the Saudis did buy us I'm not sure I'd remain as emotionally invested as I am now. I can't really predict how I'd react to this kind of conflict between my club and my morals, especially since Ole has Made United Great Again. Chances are id get over it and keep watching. But the whole thing would be tainted and we'd feel just as plastic and crass as the rest of football does.

In truth football has been going this way for years. I feel like this might be the straw that broke the camel's back. Another part of me thinks ill lack the courage of my convictions. Only time will tell. Either way, if it was down to me, I'd say if this is what it takes to compete with City, I'd rather not. I can't give a definitive list of what the clubs traditions and principles are, or should be. I don't know exactly where the line is. But being a plaything of the Saudis, that has to be on the other side of it.

Or it isn't. But in that case let's not make out we're in any way better than City.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both are Salafi. Wahabiism could be considered as an ultra-Conservative version of Salafi (itself a version of Hanbali), and is spread in both countries, especially in SA where it originated. Actually the country was created from successors of Wahabi in addition to House of Saud, and they still control the religion there.

So essentially they are Muslim - Sunni - Hanbali - Salafi - Wahabiism. Wahabiism is also the version of Islam that Al Qaeda and IS practice, though in case of IS it is a bit deformed.

SA apparently spends 3b dollars for year (and more than 100b in total since it started) on the spread of Wahabiism.

Last edited:

RG 11

I feel like this.

A few months ago when these rumours started floating around I texted a mate and said if the Saudis buy United I'm done with football. Yesterday I texted him back and said actually I'm not sure I can follow through on this now.

I can't stop supporting United, I certainly can't manufacture interest in another club. But if the Saudis did buy us I'm not sure I'd remain as emotionally invested as I am now. I can't really predict how I'd react to this kind of conflict between my club and my morals, especially since Ole has Made United Great Again. Chances are id get over it and keep watching. But the whole thing would be tainted and we'd feel just as plastic and crass as the rest of football does.

In truth football has been going this way for years. I feel like this might be the straw that broke the camel's back. Another part of me thinks ill lack the courage of my convictions. Only time will tell. Either way, if it was down to me, I'd say if this is what it takes to compete with City, I'd rather not. I can't give a definitive list of what the clubs traditions and principles are, or should be. I don't know exactly where the line is. But being a plaything of the Saudis, that has to be on the other side of it.

Or it isn't. But in that case let's not make out we're in any way better than City.
Yeah, I feel extremely conflicted too. I hope I'm able to just walk away because I don't want to see the great history of this club used by a bunch horrible human rights violators to whitewash their image.

United succeeded under Ferguson because of good management from everyone involved in the club (academy / chairman / CEO and of course the manager) which is something I feel we're all collectively proud of. Buying two fulls teams worth of players like City will make all our future success hollow. I just don't think I'll be able to enjoy it.

I'm going to try my best not to actively watch the Qatar world cup as well since the standiums are literally built on slave labor but it's just so hard to give up on one of the few events I've always looked since I was a kid. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.