Are the Glazers preparing for a sale? | Saudis deny the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Can someone clarify, please:

Is there a particular Saudi Arabian group that's morally questionable and in contention for buying United? If so, what specifically is the group rumored to be associated with?

Or are there qualms about any Saudi Arabian group because of the country's political standing as a whole?

Or is it impossible to make the distinction in the same way Abramovich's wealth is directly resultant of intimate relationship with Putin? In which case, do we also look at that ownership with the same disdain?

InfiniteBoredom

Is there a particular Saudi Arabian group that's morally questionable and in contention for buying United? If so, what specifically is the group rumored to be associated with?

Or are there qualms about any Saudi Arabian group because of the country's political standing as a whole?

Or is it impossible to make the distinction in the same way Abramovich's wealth is directly resultant of intimate relationship with Putin? In which case, do we also look at that ownership with the same disdain?
The one linked is the Saudi royal family, one Mohammed bin Salman in particular, the one, you know, ordered the kipnap, execution and mutilation of a journalist who criticised him, and that family is responsible for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.

Posh Red

I take your point but not sure Abramovich is a great example. Pretty sure he’s a fairly questionable character and he’s definitely been the subject of scrutiny and criticism since he took over at Chelsea. How often have you heard Chelsea being mocked as an ‘oil club’ etc?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The only link that has been made is with the House of Saud itself.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I've no idea if the rumours are true but there are two areas of context which makes me think there might be something more to this than just the usual drivel. Firstly, he's had a terrible year in terms of his and SA's reputation but as that news cycle is moving on, getting quieter, what could be better than buying United? It would be the biggest sporting story of the year most likely, suddenly the good reputation and global branding of United would appear alongside his name and Saudi Arabia's. Even a man as badly tarnished as he in the eyes of many would shift the focus onto his investment into United and spin that positively.

Secondly, the context of the UK with the political climate and on-goings here with a general election possible (some would say even probable) later in the year. It would be huge for the UK Govt to try and use the sale and giant investment in United as a sign that the economy is still strong and that they're the right government to carry on etc. Particularly as United are among the biggest 'soft' power cultural, sporting and heritage brands the country has worldwide. Additionally, the UK govt and the Saudi govt are hand in glove.

I'll take my tin-foil hat off now though.

dove

Not 50m in the summer being outspent by relegation fodder or in minus figures in a January transfer window where our top 4 rivals Chelsea signed Higuain and Arsenal also strenghtened.
Arsenal hardly strengthened and Chelsea loaned Higuain. It would have been absolutely stupid for us to buy an expensive player in January without having a permanent manager and I am glad we didn't. Last summer we clearly started having doubts about Jose and how couldn't you when he wanted to swap Martial for Willian. I just don't get how people can blame Glazers for our failures in the last few years. We spent a lot of money in transfer market, it's not their fault most of the money is being wasted on mediocre players as I really really doubt they have any say in which players to buy. I think we should be careful what we wish for as we could have much much worse owners.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Moral high ground bullshit, quoting one line. I bet for all the shite your talking you will be supporting them if a takeover happens. If that is through buying merchandise or going to Old Trafford. People just ignoring our current owners as if they are the good guys. Point is we should be able to buy a Neymar nearly every window with the money we generate, the at what cost nonsense. Your not comfortable with a potential takeover I get it, fair play if you can't follow the club anymore after. I just think most in here will do nothing. In a perfect world the club would be owned locally by a fan, things aren't that simple anymore. The club were virtually bought illegally by the Glazers and your not crying. Listen I want the best for this club to grow, if it's between a Saudi takeover or the Glazers it's an easy choice for me. For you it's not fine, I want the best for the club and the current owners are a joke.
This.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Whole new structure implemented. Spending what ever it takes to get to the top. Replacing dross with the kind of depth City and other top teams do. Leagues. Champions League.

It would be worth it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Whole new structure implemented. Spending what ever it takes to get to the top. Replacing dross with the kind of depth City and other top teams do. Leagues. Champions League.

It would be worth it.
What new structure do you think would be in place?
The Saudi regime is notorious worldwide for being incompetent. They have had that reputation for decades and the new guy seems to be the worst of the lot. What makes you think us under them would be an exception?
We would be at the mercy of someone who is a certified maniac.

Adisa

This is a guy who as a teenager sent bullets to a man in an envelope because he refused to invest $50m in a fund he wanted to create. The fund went nowhere. A man who as head of defense led a war he's failed to win against a country who army is made up of mostly amateurs after initially saying the war would last three months. A man who is responsible for SA's worst economic situation in decades. A man who messed up a simple assassination and was dumb enough to send his personal body guard.
You lot think this man will come in and make us champions just because he has money?

Judas

Open to offers
This is a guy who as a teenager sent bullets to a man in an envelope because he refused to invest $50m in a fund he wanted to create. The fund went nowhere. A man who as head of defense led a war he's failed to win against a country who army is made up of mostly amateurs after initially saying the war would last three months. A man who is responsible for SA's worst economic situation in decades. A man who messed up a simple assassination and was dumb enough to send his personal body guard.
You lot think this man will come in and make us champions just because he has money?
But but but he might get rid of Woody and get us a DOF!!!! Plus Neymar! No more equally as evil Glazers! Win win! Love Saudi's, Hate Glazers!

NorthernAvengeR

I'd rather we fade into obscurity like Nottingham Forest. The Glazers are self-serving crooks, sure, but the House of Saud is on a whole different level. Would kill my interest in the club.

Sterling Archer

The one linked is the Saudi royal family, one Mohammed bin Salman in particular, the one, you know, ordered the kipnap, execution and mutilation of a journalist who criticised him, and that family is responsible for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.
Eek. He's trying hard to be portrayed as some sort of progressive. But then when you dig and find the details - which from what I recall are much worse than the journo - it makes it all the more terrifying.

I take your point but not sure Abramovich is a great example. Pretty sure he’s a fairly questionable character and he’s definitely been the subject of scrutiny and criticism since he took over at Chelsea. How often have you heard Chelsea being mocked as an ‘oil club’ etc?
I was thinking more on the humanitarian side. Where I don't know that you'd be fair in saying Roman is at fault per say for the Kremlins dealings. But in any case, looks like the link is directly with royal family .

The only link that has been made is with the House of Saud itself.
Appreciate the clarification. That's probably worse than the City group..

Bogga

As long as they don't mess around I couldn't care less... if they want to change the name of OT, try to remove the devil as our symbol or some other shit I'm gonna go bananas

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

It would be worth it.
Not for some of us.

The world is bad enough as it is right now without everyone just throwing up their hands and going “feck it, might as well just be evil then” at the promise of some success (which we’re not exactly
starved of anyway, even in an apparent on going 5 year “crisis”)

Everyone said the same “winning is all that matters” shit about Jose, and look how even that tarnished our imagine and identity to many.

“The kinda depth City have” = one academy player, who just about gets on their cup team. For some of us, the idea of beating a decepticon oil money outfit with a home grown front line of Rashford, Lingard, Pogba et al IS Man Utd. Joining them isn’t.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
As long as they don't mess around I couldn't care less... if they want to change the name of OT, try to remove the devil as our symbol or some other shit I'm gonna go bananas
:lol: Murder, not my business. Removing the devil from the Man Utd logo? Now thats where I draw the line!

Kostov

I can not feckin wait to be sincere. Splash 300m every fecking summer on the best players around, what’s there not to like.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Peter Schmeichel remains optimistic MBS can turn it around.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Moral high ground bullshit, quoting one line. I bet for all the shite your talking you will be supporting them if a takeover happens. If that is through buying merchandise or going to Old Trafford. People just ignoring our current owners as if they are the good guys. Point is we should be able to buy a Neymar nearly every window with the money we generate, the at what cost nonsense. Your not comfortable with a potential takeover I get it, fair play if you can't follow the club anymore after. I just think most in here will do nothing. In a perfect world the club would be owned locally by a fan, things aren't that simple anymore. The club were virtually bought illegally by the Glazers and your not crying. Listen I want the best for this club to grow, if it's between a Saudi takeover or the Glazers it's an easy choice for me. For you it's not fine, I want the best for the club and the current owners are a joke.
Terrible.

Giggsyking

All this moral moaning I think is illogical. How many here paid taxes and voted for Tony Blair's government which is responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands Iraqis? You cant separate your life from many bad things happening around the world specially for people who live and pay taxes in the UK and USA. At least with a united owned by Saudis you have a choice to not support them.

Judas

Open to offers
All this moral moaning I think is illogical. How many here paid taxes and voted for Tony Blair's government which is responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands Iraqis? You cant separate your life from many bad things happening around the world specially for people who live and pay taxes in the UK and USA. At least with a united owned by Saudis you have a choice to not support them.
How can you call moral moaning illogical and then make that post?

Hughie77

If the Crown Prince buys United, club football loses it's soul and United become PSG and City = soulless and plastic. No thanks.

We've talked about Ole understanding the values, responsibility and accountability of being a Manchester United player. It means a whole hell of a lot more than just winning. It's how you win, how you respect your teammates, fans, staff, etc. That's all lost and being mocked if the Crown Prince buys United. I'll pass.
May well be but not up to you or me, it's up to the present owners, if they decide to sell to him, they won't care about what you've just said, they are all about money, glazers bought Utd to make a profit, why float it on stock market again?.. that's why they were able to buy UTD in first place. As for souless and plastic those clubs mentioned are, because there benefactors have put mediocre clubs in the top bracket.

UTD have always been there... No matter who owns them .. money talks .

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I can not feckin wait to be sincere. Splash 300m every fecking summer on the best players around, what’s there not to like.
Being owned by a family who have people murdered and treat women like slaves and 2nd class citizens? Fantastic PR for the biggest club in the world that.

City's owner is bad enough. The human rights record of the UAE is awful. This would be even worse.

People who don't have issues with this stuff just because they have a lot of money are part of the problem with the world. We don't want this family anywhere near this great club. We're better than that surely? If you're willing to ignore all that just to have a bit more cash to spend on players then that's a sad indictment of our fanbase.

Giggsyking

How can you call moral moaning illogical and then make that post?
Because you are moaning moral bullshit. It is football and the club is not a nationality, you can easily walk away from supporting the club if you dont agree with the takeover.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because you are moaning moral bullshit. It is football and the club is not a nationality, you can easily walk away from supporting the club if you dont agree with the takeover.
I really don't see the logic that you are following here. People saying that they don't like the prospect of seeing the club purchased by the house of Saud, doesn't prevent them from not supporting the club if it actually happened.

wolvored

The reason we don't compete is down to technical mistakes not money and it's something that has happened to pretty much all the clubs on earth included the ones currently thriving.
No its down to money and City and Chelsea are the proof of that. Chelsea spent big when Abromovich came and won the league twice in succession. They then lifted various trophies ever since. Now they have a bigger spender than them on the scene and guess what, City are now winning all the trophies. The perennial big spenders usually are the big winners over time. Madrid and Barca, Bayern, PSG, Juventus, City and Chelsea here. Look back over the premier years, Blackburn, Newcastle and Arsenal all spent big comparitively, only usually we spent bigger. Newcastle apart, the other two won the league and Arsenal cups as well.

Marcelinho87

Well if it was to happen I don't think he would come in and oversee stuff himself. Much like City he would just throw Money at it and a structure would be built.

The geezers at City show up to games but I think they have got a full footballing structure in place to deal with the sporting side.

Judas

Open to offers
No its down to money and City and Chelsea are the proof of that. Chelsea spent big when Abromovich came and won the league twice in succession. They then lifted various trophies ever since. Now they have a bigger spender than them on the scene and guess what, City are now winning all the trophies. The perennial big spenders usually are the big winners over time. Madrid and Barca, Bayern, PSG, Juventus, City and Chelsea here. Look back over the premier years, Blackburn, Newcastle and Arsenal all spent big comparitively, only usually we spent bigger. Newcastle apart, the other two won the league and Arsenal cups as well.
But we've spent loads? We've just spent it terribly.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's not lack of transfer funds that has made us fall back. We've spent tons of money under the Glazers. They have backed these managers in fairness. The problem has been we've wasted so much of it.

Member 93275

Imagine literally any person ever in history who have raised their voice to criticise an oppressive regime, they must have been hypocrites because they reaped one benefit or another from such.
This is absolutely perfect. It allows you to personally always do whatever you want, in this case to continue to eat the fruits from the richness of our oil based economies, while at the same time pointing the moral finger at others. Keep up the good work, ostrich. :lol:

reddaz71

Dont see any moral outrage across town as city chase the quadruple financed by the sheiks of Abu Dhabi...

wolvored

What new structure do you think would be in place?
The Saudi regime is notorious worldwide for being incompetent. They have had that reputation for decades and the new guy seems to be the worst of the lot. What makes you think us under them would be an exception?
We would be at the mercy of someone who is a certified maniac.
He would probably just dish the money out and leave the running of the club to a DOF or Woody if he stayed. For example they like the best palaces and buildings and I would expect he would sanction a 130-140,000 seater stadium, so it would be the biggest and best in the world. The only downside would be the players and manager would change a lot if unsuccessful. We would probably be a team of 7-8 'galacticos', bit like Madrid 10 years or so ago. Buying the new 'Ronaldo' and fitting them in with last years 'Messi' and 'Neymar' whether it worked or not.

Adisa

Well if it was to happen I don't think he would come in and oversee stuff himself. Much like City he would just throw Money at it and a structure would be built.

The geezers at City show up to games but I think they have got a full footballing structure in place to deal with the sporting side.
One thing you can't accuse the people running the UAE of is incompetence. And to a very large extent both royal families are very different as are both countries. How many times do you hear the head of the UAE has thrown his cousin in prison or he's assasinated someone? It's not a given they are just going to try and copy the way City run things.

Status
Not open for further replies.