Are the lads back in training yet?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Damn, this was worst pre-season ever. 10 days before our first game we don't have any friendly game played with best players. And only one friendly is left.
Pogba, Shaw, Harry, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, Sancho, Fred, Martial and Dave are without playing minutes so far.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Damn, this was worst pre-season ever. 10 days before our first game we don't have any friendly game played with best players. And only one friendly is left.
Pogba, Shaw, Harry, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, Sancho, Fred, Martial and Dave are without playing minutes so far.
Isn't this same every pre season when we have summer tournament? Usually players returning from Summer tournament have 2-3 week training only

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Isn't this same every pre season when we have summer tournament? Usually players returning from Summer tournament have 2-3 week training only
Indeed, remember back to Jose's last season (the one after the WC) Pogba hadnt kicked a ball in training but was thrust into the first game against Leicester

laughtersassassin

And by the sounds of it Varane, Canvani and Sancho won't feature at all in pre season

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Was Lampard in charge on the final day against Villa? Or in the FA Cup final against Leicester?

Just because Pep bottled another UCL campaign let's not rewrite Tuchel's tenure as 6 months of domination
Them reaching a FA Cup final, and reaching the CL final is still a much bigger achievement than losing quite a gap on Liverpool, going out in the quarters and losing to bloody Villareal, so yeah. In that, they only seem to be keen on a CB and striker, however Havertz has picked up quite some form up front and their defence is quite solid. So no, not huge holes even though Lukaku would strengthen them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is not slow motion. The second part is sped up.
It was a very weird feeling when they returned to a normal speed and Maguire still moved like he was in slow-mo :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Them reaching a FA Cup final, and reaching the CL final is still a much bigger achievement than losing quite a gap on Liverpool, going out in the quarters and losing to bloody Villareal, so yeah. In that, they only seem to be keen on a CB and striker, however Havertz has picked up quite some form up front and their defence is quite solid. So no, not huge holes even though Lukaku would strengthen them.
Ok I'm going to leave you and your rants to it now

Glorio

They are quite fine yeah as CL winners. Don't forget that Tuchel amassed more points than Ole since joining. Dont use Lampard's reign against them.

Lindelof is definitely starting, and so is one of Matic/McTominay right? Shaw came back from some bruised ribs, I think Dalot/Williams will start but we will probably know more after Everton.

1 match of pre-season should be enough.
Hadn't realised that but I'm guessing you're ignoring the games where we had 2nd more or less wrapped up and let our foot off the gas?

Tuchel's done brilliantly to win the CL but I'm not yet convinced he'll have Chelsea smashing everyone in the league. That said, he has a brilliant squad

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are quite fine yeah as CL winners. Don't forget that Tuchel amassed more points than Ole since joining. Dont use Lampard's reign against them.

Lindelof is definitely starting, and so is one of Matic/McTominay right? Shaw came back from some bruised ribs, I think Dalot/Williams will start but we will probably know more after Everton.

1 match of pre-season should be enough.
Yeah, I think Lindelof will probably start. In midfield, it wouldn't surprise me if VDB starts with McTominay, since VDB has put in the shift in pre-season. Pretty sure Shaw will start.

Edit- Actually at CB I guess it depends on Varane's quarantine situation. If he's in training from Monday, then I think he will start. But if he gets into training later that week then I guess Lindelof may get the nod.

PeterWunited

I know it's been a difficult pre season principally because of the Euros, but I do not think AF would have let all this go on.
Rashford going to the Euros injured and waiting weeks for the operation.
Shaw playing games with broken ribs.
Players being allowed back late, Pogba, Sancho.
Why couldn't Varane have come as a tourist, whilst isolating and waiting for a visa.
We know Ole has a different man management style to AF, but I hope all this being understanding to the player's pays off.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ok I'm going to leave you and your rants to it now
There is no rant so pleaaaase stay..

Hadn't realised that but I'm guessing you're ignoring the games where we had 2nd more or less wrapped up and let our foot off the gas?

Tuchel's done brilliantly to win the CL but I'm not yet convinced he'll have Chelsea smashing everyone in the league. That said, he has a brilliant squad
Only game where we played against a weaker side in the PL and dropped points was against Leicester really.

I don't think they are super great either, but he did a great job and doesnt have glaring holes to fill. Lukaku would be a great addition, so would Kounde but they are going to start the season with a fit and very good team regardless.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yeah, I think Lindelof will probably start. In midfield, it wouldn't surprise me if VDB starts with McTominay, since VDB has put in the shift in pre-season. Pretty sure Shaw will start.

Edit- Actually at CB I guess it depends on Varane's quarantine situation. If he's in training from Monday, then I think he will start. But if he gets into training later that week then I guess Lindelof may get the nod.
VDB starting with McTomimay, maybe but just meh to me. VdB has a lot to prove and McTominay might be quite rusty with little minutes. He hasn't played since the 22nd of June, and will probably only have some minutes vs Everton, it is just far from ideal. No idea why he's been away for that long either.

Dazzmondo

I'm not happy with Sancho joining so late tbh. Even if they offered him more time off I would have expected him to insist on joining early like Bruno did. Preparation's been terrible with an extremely tough fixture to start the season. Really hope the players are fitter than they usually would be due to involvement in the Euros/Copa, because the lack of time training for some in particular is a big concern.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sure but never like this. As far as i can remember.
Meanwhile, Liverpool is playing with best team last 2 games. Arsenal and Spurs too. City and Chelsea had 50%-60%.
United? From first 11 only AWB played so far. And Greenwood if you count him as first 11 player. That is not good ffs

King7Eric

VDB starting with McTomimay, maybe but just meh to me. VdB has a lot to prove and McTominay might be quite rusty with little minutes. He hasn't played since the 22nd of June, and will probably only have some minutes vs Everton, it is just far from ideal. No idea why he's been away for that long either.
McTominay was back in training at the same time as James, in time for our camp in Surrey. Maybe he's carrying a knock so he didn't play in the 2 friendies since then. But pretty sure he was back in training on 19 July.

Dazzmondo

This is apparently the training camp squad. Surprised that Elanga isn't in training considering how well he performed in pre-season and the comments Ole made about him.

JB7

This is apparently the training camp squad. Surprised that Elanga isn't in training considering how well he performed in pre-season and the comments Ole made about him.
Even more bizarre given the lack of attacking options. You would like to think a decent Championship club have come in with a loan deal for him, QPR maybe they looked like a good fit for him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
McTominay was back in training at the same time as James, in time for our camp in Surrey. Maybe he's carrying a knock so he didn't play in the 2 friendies since then. But pretty sure he was back in training on 19 July.
Yeah, that would just be unfortunate.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I know it's been a difficult pre season principally because of the Euros, but I do not think AF would have let all this go on.
Why couldn't Varane have come as a tourist, whilst isolating and waiting for a visa.
We know Ole has a different man management style to AF, but I hope all this being understanding to the player's pays off.
Fergie would've done what exactly? Stopped Rashford from going to the basically home Euros? Barged into the England training camp and drag Shaw out in the middle of the most successful international campaign since the 1966?

As for Varane, I'm pretty sure that this would be legally considered a fraud as he would be coming into the country under false pretences.

IrishRedDevil

Surely they will squeeze in another behind-closed-doors friendly for early next week?

No reason to have 7 days between playing Everton on 7th and Leeds on 14th.

King7Eric

Wtf :lol:

So basically you want our newest signing to be arrested and then deported for fraudulent entry?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Damn.. This is one glorious post but hey, Ive made a few myself.

Dazzmondo

I don't fully believe that tweet as I saw a pic of Garner in the training camp and he isn't listed so that definitely isn't the full list. So, possible the likes of Elanga might actually be there. Garner is certainly present

The Cluck

Why are they training in Scotland?
A change of scenery as much as anything. Staying at home and training at Carrington every day of preseason is probably fine, but going away means they can stay together as a group for a few days and do a bit of team bonding, like getting into their onesie pyjamas and playing board games at night.

PeterWunited

Damn.. This is one glorious post but hey, Ive made a few myself.
I see my post has solicited a few howls of derision.
My point however is we have not been informed of the reasons all the players are missing. Even suggestions that quarantine has played a part.
So let us know.
And, yes I do believe AF would not have let Rashford go to the Euros and if United were informed of Shaw's injury he would have insisted he did not play.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fergie would've done what exactly? Stopped Rashford from going to the basically home Euros? Barged into the England training camp and drag Shaw out in the middle of the most successful international campaign since the 1966?

As for Varane, I'm pretty sure that this would be legally considered a fraud as he would be coming into the country under false pretences.
:lol:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I see my post has solicited a few howls of derision.
My point however is we have not been informed of the reasons all the players are missing. Even suggestions that quarantine has played a part.
So let us know.
And, yes I do believe AF would not have let Rashford go to the Euros and if United were informed of Shaw's injury he would have insisted he did not play.
Hey don't mind us.
You might have a point with the Rashford case but I believe Fergie had failed in such a bid before. It would have been difficult for him in this day and age especially with the FA policy of having all England players together in camp whenever possible. As well as the player not wanting to miss the opportunity.
Shaw I think suffered the rib issue in camp, beyond Fergie control that one. England have their own medical team to deal with those things and the players to know when to call it quits.
Varane could have been handled differently, I agree. Just not the action you recommended. Secondly, experienced pro like him should be able get to good fitness is quick time.

Sancho will be back on Friday apparently.

One notable name who isn't at the St. Andrews training camp is £72.9m signing Jadon Sancho.

Despite limited minutes at Euro 2020, Sancho is one of the few England squad members in the Premier League who haven't yet reported back to training. His new club teammates Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire both joined the camp on Monday.

Sancho was given the option of additional time off after flying to Manchester to complete his transfer on July 13th, and will not rejoin training until Friday, after the St. Andrews camp has ended. All players are entitled to a minimum of 3 weeks holiday, however some United staff members have admitted privately to being 'disappointed but relaxed' by Sancho's decision not to cut his holiday short to join a camp which is seen as vital to not only fitness, but also team bonding and harmony.

Luke Shaw impressed United staff by cutting his holiday short last season, reporting for preseason training two weeks early. He subsequently enjoyed a breakout season where he established himself as one of the best left-backs in Europe.

Pavl3n

I don't know the law in the UK, but usually you'd have to leave the country before you can change the status of your visa. For example when I've been to USA I had to drive down to Mexico just to make a U turn and change my visa status. Same applies for my own country (EU), my wife is a foreigner and she had to leave and come back in just to change her status.

So what you are suggesting will not only create more inconvenience on Varane, but when goes out and comes back in most probably he'll have to restart the quarantine process. That's of course if people have to exit England to change their visa status, which I'm pretty sure is the case.