g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Are there any positives? Plenty...

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm growing kind of sick of the constant doom and gloom on the forum around literally everything about the club. It's toxic and breeds negativity.

Let's list some of the positives we have looking into the new season..

1) We still have the best goalkeeper in the world.

2) We have a bang in form world cup winning Paul Pogba.

3) Fred looks the ideal piece of the midfield jigsaw. Excited to see what he brings.

4) Lindelof had a great world cup. Seems to have gone under the radar of many.

5) We will surely see more from a fully refreshed Alexis Sanchez.

6) Lukaku is maturing into a monster. At times inconsistent but more often than not unplayable. Think he'll have a great season.

7) Martial seems happy and rumours have died down. Mourinho has spoken positively about him.

8) New coaching staff, fresh ideas for Mourinho and familiarity with Carrick. McKenna is a bright young coach and think the dynamic is intriguing.

9) Dalot. Reminds me of a Fergie signing and that can only be a good thing.

10) Deadwood being moved on. Loved Blind but needed to move him on. Others will follow.

11) The window is not closed. As others go out and free up the wage bill new faces will come in. Stop panicking.

12) Shaw has got abs. It's his season.

ti vu

13) Mourinho is in third year. It's almost over

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
One unexpected or maybe sooner than planned scenario means the Martial will have a huge opportunity to grab the bull by the Horns and demand a starting place since Lukaku won’t play right away.
How do we see that panning out if he does start the season on fire though?

I'd love to see them both up top together, but it seems we will still be going with a 433 at the moment.

Sanchez or Martial shunted out to the right?

P-Nut

A positive for me would be Pereira and Shaw having a chance to establish themselves on tour.

All our first choice midfielders aren't present at the moment and with Young being absent as well Shaw couldn't hope for a better chance.

EyeInTheSky

How do we see that panning out if he does start the season on fire though?

I'd love to see them both up top together, but it seems we will still be going with a 433 at the moment.

Sanchez or Martial shunted out to the right?
Well it would put the final nail in the coffin for FC Martial and it’s Joses fault blah blah.

Sanchez is at home on the right but Lukaku has shown some promise there too.

P-Nut

Well it would put the final nail in the coffin for FC Martial and it’s Joses fault blah blah.

Sanchez is at home on the right but Lukaku has shown some promise there too.
I'm not bothered by what other fans think and who they want to support. I'm talking about the functionality of the side.

We saw last season that Mourinho was more willing to shunt Martial to the right than Sanchez, so why would it now change that he'd move Sanchez to the right over Martial.

I'd be interested in seeing Lukaku wide right to be honest, he showed a lot of promise there for Belgium in the world cup and it'd be interesting to see how he'd do out there. We'd also have a target man against a full back, a duel he'd win more often than against a centre back and a slightly different way of incorporating Jose's target man that he likes.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Tbf, signings comes way second to what Mourinho actually does with the team tactically, we need to get more out of the players already here.

Fred's influence on the team is rather unknown, but i can't see him being critical to our play, I would expect that from a KdB/Hazard type of signing, and it doesn't look like we are really in for any game-changing players (as no one seems to be available).

Worst comes to worst, we have a team who finished 2nd last season + Dalot and Fred. What we need is improvement in our attacking patterns. How Alexis performs will also be an important factor.

Jonno

Sanchez could be player of the season.

He was poor last season, but he's had an entire summer to prepare for this next season.

Sanchez's potential next season is far superior than Martial / Rashford's potential next season. Sanchez is easily a level above, if he can re-discover it.

That said, I hope all 3 get game time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One unexpected or maybe sooner than planned scenario means the Martial will have a huge opportunity to grab the bull by the Horns and demand a starting place since Lukaku won’t play right away.
He has no chance tbh, we all know Lukaku will play regardless, same with Sanchez, who will not realistically be a sub regardless of form.

EyeInTheSky

..........—-Martial—-..........
He has no chance tbh, we all know Lukaku will play regardless, same with Sanchez, who will not realistically be a sub regardless of form.
We’re talking about the fact that first team players who took part in the WC will miss pre-season and possibly start of season. But I don’t think it’s controvesial that the better and in form experienced first team players will be picked at some point

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I'm growing kind of sick of the constant doom and gloom on the forum around literally everything about the club. It's toxic and breeds negativity.

3) Fred looks the ideal piece of the midfield jigsaw. Excited to see what he brings.

6) Lukaku is maturing into a monster. At times inconsistent but more often than not unplayable. Think he'll have a great season.

7) Martial seems happy and rumours have died down. Mourinho has spoken positively about him.

8) New coaching staff, fresh ideas for Mourinho and familiarity with Carrick. McKenna is a bright young coach and think the dynamic is intriguing.

10) Deadwood being moved on. Loved Blind but needed to move him on. Others will follow.

11) The window is not closed. As others go out and free up the wage bill new faces will come in. Stop panicking.

There's a lot of positives there :cool:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Tbf, signings comes way second to what Mourinho actually does with the team tactically, we need to get more out of the players already here.

Fred's influence on the team is rather unknown, but i can't see him being critical to our play, I would expect that from a KdB/Hazard type of signing, and it doesn't look like we are really in for any game-changing players (as no one seems to be available).

Worst comes to worst, we have a team who finished 2nd last season + Dalot and Fred. What we need is improvement in our attacking patterns. How Alexis performs will also be an important factor.
Of course Fred is critical. We already have a game changing player in Pogba. The best of the lot, a world cup winner. Fred will help Pogba with his all action play and quick distribution. I think/ hope he is the enabler. Much as Carrick was in the background doing phenomenal work.

Erikson, Modric, De Bruyne are all losers!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
..........—-Martial—-..........

We’re talking about the fact that first team players who took part in the WC will miss pre-season and possibly start of season. But I don’t think it’s controvesial that the better and in form experienced first team players will be picked at some point
Well younger players are all trying to get to that status. There is no point in them trying if the ‘experienced first team players will be picked at some point’. As for them bein ‘better’, that’s an argument for another thread, but it’s possible Martial has it in him to be better than Sanchez and certainly Lukaku, who isn’t even that good anyway, but he, or any other young player will need the chance to be.

Anyway, my point is that I don’t think Martial realistically has a chance to stake a claim for a first team place as suggested. This is why last season many felt he would want to leave, which corresponds with what we heard this summer. Ultimately, if a young player, be it Martial, Rashford, TFM etc feels he won’t ever be a first XI player, he either accepts a role as a sub, or moves on to play.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Of course Fred is critical. We already have a game changing player in Pogba. The best of the lot, a world cup winner. Fred will help Pogba with his all action play and quick distribution. I think/ hope he is the enabler. Much as Carrick was in the background doing phenomenal work.

Erikson, Modric, De Bruyne are all losers!
From what i have seen of Fred, he is not in the same bracket for playmakers as Carrick. Of course, less will do, and he have other strenghts, like you said about all action play, but i'm not sure he will even be a regular starter. I think Matic and Pogba will be prefered in a 2 behind 4 attacking players in most games. But if a 3 of Fred, Matic and Pogba could make out the perfect balance, it would of course be ideal.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
From what i have seen of Fred, he is not in the same bracket for playmakers as Carrick. Of course, less will do, and he have other strenghts, like you said about all action play, but i'm not sure he will even be a regular starter. I think Matic and Pogba will be prefered in a 2 behind 4 attacking players in most games. But if a 3 of Fred, Matic and Pogba could make out the perfect balance, it would of course be ideal.
I think it will be the latter. Its obvious we aren't getting the best of Pogba, so anything to free him up will improve the whole team.

Pogba truly can be as important to us as Modric to Croatia, or Erikson to Spurs/ Denmark. Erikson is a great example actually. Whilst Kane did well numbers wise, his opportunities were seriously lacking. Erikson at Spurs really shows how a player like Kane can go from looking poor to phenomenal.

If Pogba can get Sanchez/ Lukaku/ Martial/ Rashford/ Lingard and even Mata the right balls and open up spaces then he could turn us into a killing machine.

EyeInTheSky

Well younger players are all trying to get to that status. There is no point in them trying if the ‘experienced first team players will be picked at some point’. As for them bein ‘better’, that’s an argument for another thread, but it’s possible Martial has it in him to be better than Sanchez and certainly Lukaku, who isn’t even that good anyway, but he, or any other young player will need the chance to be.

Anyway, my point is that I don’t think Martial realistically has a chance to stake a claim for a first team place as suggested. This is why last season many felt he would want to leave, which corresponds with what we heard this summer. Ultimately, if a young player, be it Martial, Rashford, TFM etc feels he won’t ever be a first XI player, he either accepts a role as a sub, or moves on to play.
He has to turn up to steak a claim. He can't just get away with week performances. It is the nature of the game. If he shows what is required he makes it much easier for himself and harder to be ignored.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Certainly.

I have high hopes for DD too. And, yes, he's a Fergie style signing.

Fred is a positive, can't say anything else.

Pogba winning the World Cup is a positive too – him being a key member of that team, playing a more rounded midfield role, should be good news for United.

Martial staying is a positive IF he's up for the challenge.

Sanchez getting a rest is a positive in itself. However, the faith people seemingly have in him coming good is not something I easily share. I hope he'll turn it around, of course, but am far from certain. Those two points are linked, one could say: If Sanchez continues to stink the place up, we at least have Martial in hand – IF the manager is willing to bench the former (which he should be).

Lindelöf – absolutely, yes. Mourinho rarely fecks up when it comes to identifying defensive prospects. He looked a bit shaky at times in his debut season but that's hardly unusual for a player his age. People who have already written him off are being ridiculously premature.

Shaw is...Shaw. I feel stupid for hoping he'll come good. But I do. It would be a massive gain if he does. Ashley “fifty games” Young is a player I have nothing but affection for – but he isn't all that.

Lukaku, finally, is a positive – yes. He continues to develop his game. Bit more polish and he could shine in a big way.

ash_86

Good points. I'm certaily optimistic about the new coaching staff and what they could bring to the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He has to turn up to steak a claim. He can't just get away with week performances. It is the nature of the game. If he shows what is required he makes it much easier for himself and harder to be ignored.
That I don’t dispute. I’m saying that I don’t believe it will make a difference.

Dolf

Great thread! I'm growing sick of all the moaning here too. You'd almost start to think that we're doomed to relegate.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Maybe I’m just being a dick but I don’t understand why there’s like 5 threads on the first page of the United forum which all essentially are the same thing.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think it will be the latter. Its obvious we aren't getting the best of Pogba, so anything to free him up will improve the whole team.

Pogba truly can be as important to us as Modric to Croatia, or Erikson to Spurs/ Denmark. Erikson is a great example actually. Whilst Kane did well numbers wise, his opportunities were seriously lacking. Erikson at Spurs really shows how a player like Kane can go from looking poor to phenomenal.

If Pogba can get Sanchez/ Lukaku/ Martial/ Rashford/ Lingard and even Mata the right balls and open up spaces then he could turn us into a killing machine.
I would love it if Pogba have a monster season for us. I do feel we need more magic somewhere in attack, someone who can stretch the field with pace and desire like Mbappe. Mbappe was crucial to france, and a good target for Pogba to release into space. Alexis and Pogba seems to get in each others way a bit too much. Hopefully Mourinho will adress that problem.

Morpheus 7

I'm all for positivity and think we should be looking forward to the new season, unfortunately Jose is a depressing bstard. The club set the tone with transfers coming in, manager and player moral through media. Most importantly, the football on the pitch, this is all flat. You can't expect people to be just positive when there are clear issues like this. It doesn't help when we see rivals improving while we are struggling to improve areas that need addressing. It's natural to not be overly enthusiastic or optimistic, be strange if you were! The main thing is supporting the team when the league starts, you can support the side but be concerned about the direction of the club. You're hardly going to be buzzing after watching Jose and his press conference for a new campaign today, they set the mood and then it filters down.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I want to make it clear that your or anyone else's belief in this matter is irrelevant. The truth is as you have agreed to that he has to prove it on the pitch.
Thank you for helping me to understand that I don’t select the Manchester United team.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I would love it if Pogba have a monster season for us. I do feel we need more magic somewhere in attack, someone who can stretch the field with pace and desire like Mbappe. Mbappe was crucial to france, and a good target for Pogba to release into space. Alexis and Pogba seems to get in each others way a bit too much. Hopefully Mourinho will adress that problem.
Well Sanchez needs to stay further forward. I think he is just used to doing all the work at Arsenal

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
We have all the same problems as last year bundled with the fact that Mourinho is renowned for totally bollocking things up in his third season. At the end of the season there were a few priorities in most peoples eyes.

- Get actual top full backs because apparently they'll improve our style of play immensely
- Get a top right winger
- Get a midfielder that can play alongside Pogba & Matic

At the end of the day, we've only addressed one of those, and for me #1 and #2 were way more important than #3. If we don't sign anyone else we're still going into the new seasons with two aging wingers as our full backs and probably Mata or Lingard on the right wing. We still don't know if we actually have a CB pairing that will work and not get injured, we don't yet know if Fred will be that bridge in midfield (though I'm hoping he will be), we don't know what's going to happen on the left-wing with Sanchez/Martial/Rashford (and I'm not convinced that Sanchez will get back to his best or that Mourinho will even attempt to play the other two instead of him).

You can be positive all you want but what exactly have we addressed from last season? Feck all. Everything in the Op is basically hoping that our current players improve upon their form last season, and that's fair enough, we all want that, but to say things are really positive is a short-sighted imo. That said, there's three weeks left in the window and maybe those players will all improve so... who knows.

Also why is everything in extremes here? Why is it that you're either negative or really positive? Why can't you simply have reservations based on our last two seasons but still be hopeful? That's sort of where I sit.

Glideman

lol there can't even be a thread of positivity without toxic fans bringing doom and gloom into it. There are so many threads to moan why take this one?

GM K

Martial will play if he follows Mourinho's tactical instructions, if his attitude is good on and off pitch and if his agent is not blabbing around about plans to change club and spreading rumours about interests from Spurs, Chelsea and the entire Premier League.

C'est Moi Cantona

lol there can't even be a thread of positivity without toxic fans bringing doom and gloom into it. There are so many threads to moan why take this one?
No offence but there's so many posts like this atm too, moaning about people moaning is still moaning you know.

GM K

Good post.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think a few of you will be disappointed if Mourinho doesn't lose his mind this season.