Are there any positives? Plenty...

Bestietom

I am not panicking yet. There is time left to bring in a Winger and a CB. We should be Ok then.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The thread is about being positive, lets keep it that way
that's stupid, this is a forum. If every thread was just "everyone agree with the op!" then it'd be a boring place.

If someone has an opinion in their post you disagree with then you should be able to argue it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Tbf, signings comes way second to what Mourinho actually does with the team tactically, we need to get more out of the players already here.

Fred's influence on the team is rather unknown, but i can't see him being critical to our play, I would expect that from a KdB/Hazard type of signing, and it doesn't look like we are really in for any game-changing players (as no one seems to be available).

Worst comes to worst, we have a team who finished 2nd last season + Dalot and Fred. What we need is improvement in our attacking patterns. How Alexis performs will also be an important factor.
This is a good point. While I don't disagree with those saying a few key additions would be very useful we should remember how much more the majority of our outfield players could be giving us. If the likes of Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Alexis come back ready to work and gel together we could really be on to something this season.

Sanche7

An optimistic thread? And that too just after it was decided by the cafe members that Liverpool are going to win the league!
What is wrong with you @TheReligion?! You should be ashamed if yourself

ROFLUTION

Wish we had a moaning and doom-monger thread. Then likeminded people could get off watching other people talk from their arses, and maybe see themselves from the outside or just agree, making it one big entertaining moron-circus. One big community of moaning locked in one room.

Then deduct points/ban in normal threads if a post is hysterical and doom-mongering without reason.

James Peril

Negativity will be found on every fan forum in the world. Negativity is good, it means people aren’t as deluded as certain individuals in that city close to Manchester. Too much positivity and blind faith is just as bad as being constantly negative for the sake of it though.

You are saying people are negative like they’re wrong - and that you’re right. Well, it depends on our goals for the season. I guess we’re all entitled to a challenge and a trophy or two, but as of right now we’re far off - hence negative opinions are perfectly OK. Beliving a side containing Young, Dalot, Lindelof, Lingard and Lukaku can win the league is delusion in my opinion, but hopefully I’m very wrong.

You say Dalot is a Fergie-signing like it’s only positive, I say Dalot didn’t even figure for Porto last season and is hardly going to play much for us. And for Mou often getting his defensive signings right, take a look at his record. A lot of duds on the list, especially those not costing too much. Lindelof might do better next season for sure, but even so he is still miles off being United-quality, the quality we need to be the best. We measure him against Vidic, Rio et al, not John O’Shea or Ronny Johnson.

Trizy

12) Shaw has got abs. It's his season.
:lol:.

Your points on Sanchez, Pogba, Martial and Lukaku (our best players IMO) means nothing if we play negative football.

I'd be more positive if we get in a very good LB and RW. Ideally Sandro & Willian. However, one seems to be off to PSG, the other to Barcelona.

I wonder do United fans rate Willian now that he's good enough for Barca ;)

C'est Moi Cantona

The thread is about being positive, lets keep it that way
It's like this in most threads now, anyone says anything negative that is slightly out of context, or deemed to be in the wrong place someone is there telling them so, mostly done in a moaning way itself.

A lot of people don't see many positives, a lot do, just discuss, or are you only allowed to post here if you agree with the op?

kerano.

This thread made me so happy! Well done! Let's get this season going! I love United!

Andersons Dietician

Wish we had a moaning and doom-monger thread. Then likeminded people could get off watching other people talk from their arses, and maybe see themselves from the outside or just agree, making it one big entertaining moron-circus. One big community of moaning locked in one room.

Then deduct points/ban in normal threads if a post is hysterical and doom-mongering without reason.
A thread like that would be a decent idea but it would just get shut down or have people from the other side jump in and moan in it or take snippets out and put it in that thread in general as they mock everyone.

On thread topic tho positives for next season...... give me a minute....
(2 hours later)
Ummmmmm, hmmmmm, emmmmm I know we still have DeGea. This will always be a positive.

wolvored

How do we see that panning out if he does start the season on fire though?

I'd love to see them both up top together, but it seems we will still be going with a 433 at the moment.

Sanchez or Martial shunted out to the right?
If were not bringing in a RW perhaps going 3-5-2 would be a better fit with Martial retaining his position, if he is doing great, alongside Lukaku. LWB would be a problem with Sanchez though.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
I'm growing kind of sick of the constant doom and gloom on the forum around literally everything about the club. It's toxic and breeds negativity.

Let's list some of the positives we have looking into the new season..

1) We still have the best goalkeeper in the world.

2) We have a bang in form world cup winning Paul Pogba.

3) Fred looks the ideal piece of the midfield jigsaw. Excited to see what he brings.

4) Lindelof had a great world cup. Seems to have gone under the radar of many.

5) We will surely see more from a fully refreshed Alexis Sanchez.

6) Lukaku is maturing into a monster. At times inconsistent but more often than not unplayable. Think he'll have a great season.

7) Martial seems happy and rumours have died down. Mourinho has spoken positively about him.

8) New coaching staff, fresh ideas for Mourinho and familiarity with Carrick. McKenna is a bright young coach and think the dynamic is intriguing.

9) Dalot. Reminds me of a Fergie signing and that can only be a good thing.

10) Deadwood being moved on. Loved Blind but needed to move him on. Others will follow.

11) The window is not closed. As others go out and free up the wage bill new faces will come in. Stop panicking.

12) Shaw has got abs. It's his season.
Finally some common sense and positivity. Thumbs up.

meamth

Tbf, signings comes way second to what Mourinho actually does with the team tactically, we need to get more out of the players already here.

Fred's influence on the team is rather unknown, but i can't see him being critical to our play, I would expect that from a KdB/Hazard type of signing, and it doesn't look like we are really in for any game-changing players (as no one seems to be available).

Worst comes to worst, we have a team who finished 2nd last season + Dalot and Fred. What we need is improvement in our attacking patterns. How Alexis performs will also be an important factor.
Fred's responsibility is to be the other threat on the right of midfield to give more unpredictability to our midfield.

When Pogba was the only midfielder who could give dangerous passes from the left, the opposition marked him and sometimes he could be nullified.

Fred is very effective on the right. His trademark diagonal pass/cross is really dangerous. Meaning it will give more room for Pogba or himself.

Exciting in theory, let's see if it would work.

EDIT:

My other theory is this is why we will not sign a right winger.

The attacking output from the right will be shouldered by Fred.

lysglimt

Scout
Positives for me - I believe we can finally see the real Shaw. I also believe Chong, Gomes and Garner could be closer to the first team than what many thinks. I really believe in those 3.

Marcky411

I want to make it clear that your or anyone else's belief in this matter is irrelevant. The truth is as you have agreed to that he has to prove it on the pitch.
I fully agree he has to prove it week in week out on the pitch, show consistency. Lets just look at Jose's first choice team/backbone

DDG
Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Young
Matic
(New toy)Fred Pogba
?????? Lukaku Sanchez(No matter what)

So one place left for Martial to make his own, while Jose's preference goes out to Linguard but it is up for grabs. Unless someone gets injured most of our team get to warm a bench and when they do get a chance to fall in for 10-15 minutes and they don't light up the sky, then Jose has enough ammo for the press to justify not playing them. Then quick we as fans all get the notion how useless the player is and should be moved on.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I fully agree he has to prove it week in week out on the pitch, show consistency. Lets just look at Jose's first choice team/backbone

DDG
Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Young
Matic
(New toy)Fred Pogba
?????? Lukaku Sanchez(No matter what)

So one place left for Martial to make his own, while Jose's preference goes out to Linguard but it is up for grabs. Unless someone gets injured most of our team get to warm a bench and when they do get a chance to fall in for 10-15 minutes and they don't light up the sky, then Jose has enough ammo for the press to justify not playing them. Then quick we as fans all get the notion how useless the player is and should be moved on.
Sweet, 12 players, we'll be unstoppable!

SirFergie

This.

Need to get more out of the players here. We have undoubted talent up front but more work needs to be done to get the best out of them individually and collectively.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I want to make it clear that your or anyone else's belief in this matter is irrelevant. The truth is as you have agreed to that he has to prove it on the pitch.
As Sanchez did last season ? Or Lukaku with 16 league goals and some terrible performances?

Throw Martial and Rashford in and when they don't perform in one game throw them under the bus publicly.

If it's about turning up, Sanchez shouldn't have started after the first five games for us. Lukaku went three months without a goal and just looked downright lazy.

Picked week in, week out.

For me Jose is failing with man management, the balance isnt right and he is t getting the best out of anyone as a result

Ashley R1+O

I can't see City repeating the ludicrous total from last season. If we're in the vicinity I think we'll pounce and surprise a lot of people. Looking forward to it, another year and another year of re-balancing the team and personal growth for our young guys.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No offence but there's so many posts like this atm too, moaning about people moaning is still moaning you know.
And now you are moaning about people moaning about other people moaning :p

For the record I would like to have a moan, but I will keep that out of this thread, as it is a thread for positivity. It would be far too easy to list reasons why some of the points made in the first post are illogical.

On a positive note: I am hoping that once the season starts we get some wins under our belt, so we can genuinely feel positive about our on-pitch activities.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I can't see City repeating the ludicrous total from last season. If we're in the vicinity I think we'll pounce and surprise a lot of people. Looking forward to it, another year and another year of re-balancing the team and personal growth for our young guys.
I do agree that MCFC won't do what they did last season. With this in mind, our team needs to be ready to pounce.
Hopefully, we can buy the players necessary to do this in the next 2 weeks.

Ashley R1+O

I do agree that MCFC won't do what they did last season. With this in mind, our team needs to be ready to pounce.
Hopefully, we can buy the players necessary to do this in the next 2 weeks.
If we don't, we'll be fine either way. We've just gotta be in the same position we finished last year and build on the sniff of the trophy.

EyeInTheSky

As Sanchez did last season ? Or Lukaku with 16 league goals and some terrible performances?

Throw Martial and Rashford in and when they don't perform in one game throw them under the bus publicly.

If it's about turning up, Sanchez shouldn't have started after the first five games for us. Lukaku went three months without a goal and just looked downright lazy.

Picked week in, week out.

For me Jose is failing with man management, the balance isnt right and he is t getting the best out of anyone as a result
No its because when he gets his chance he fluffs his lines. Lukaku and Sanchez contribute and graft when they are not playing well. They don't hide or give up when things are not going there way.

It's not about having a bad game as everyone has them. its about your application and attitude. This is the key point people, miss. No manager on earth picks a player like that over players that contribute unless they want to get the sack or cause issues within the squad when players that put in the effort don't get picked because you know "potential". Ronaldo and Messi don't get away with what he does and he has certainly not earnt the right to conserve energy like them and the reality is he will never be anywhere near that.

It's very simple. You don't perform fine just put some effort in and show you are willing to do that but if you don't perform on top of lack of effort then you have no right to cry about it and get your agent involved in undermining the club. That attitude can feck right off.

Kylar Stern

I'm not worried about the coming season at all to be honest - we looked pretty good for large parts of last season (better than at any point since Fergie left), and whilst we finished second behind a rampant City, we bagged a decent points total, and you can point to results at certain parts of the season and correlate them with injuries to the likes of Pogba as to why we were such a distant second in the end.

I can't see City running away with it again in such a dominant fashion and feel that last season was something of an anomaly, and as much as people are raving about Liverpools signings there has to be a question mark around how well such a large number of new players will gel, at least in the early parts of the season (and the fact that Klopp teams seem to bottle it as soon as they are in with a shout of winning anything of note). Chelsea could well lose a few of their key players before the start of the season, and who knows which versions of Spurs and Arsenal will turn up?

We have a decent side, and we may or may not add more players before the end of the window - however even if we don't you would look to the likes of Sanchez, Lukaku, and Pogba as players who could well kick on and show much more than last season - the signs at the WC were pretty good for us in that respect.

red4ever 79

I want him to give Tuanzebe, Forsu Mensah and Perreria an opportunity with the first team squad. If he would do that and show a bit of faith in these youngsters as opposed to sticking with the dead wood, and in addition play a more attacking minded football I would be happy with that.

PoTMS

Not overly optimistic about the new season but the positives for me are:
  • In Lukaku we have one of the world's best strikers - I hope he can show us how good he is again this season
  • Sanchez had a proper rest this year and hopefully gets to have a proper pre-season
  • De Gea looks like he'll be staying and is the best keeper in the world (when not wearing the Spain jersey)
  • Pogba looks well up for it and hopefully can bring his World Cup form into the new season
  • Our midfield for the first time looks nicely balanced with the addition of Fred and Matic
  • We have some very exciting talent coming up in the ranks to add to our already youthful squad
  • So far, only Liverpool and Arsenal have significantly strengthened out of the big six
There's a few caveats to the statements above but generally those are my positives. With a few more signings, I'd be a lot more confident that we can achieve something this season.

Njord

Hopefully Lingard and Rashford can be positives next season. With the lack of links to an RW, Rashford may be capable of making this position his own. If he can have a break through there, teams will have to be less compact around thr centre and the left side of our attack, and this may add more room for Lingard in the middle, where he can run into open spaces.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think most of those positives are tenuous tbh. And I’m definitely not very optimistic about this season but in a weird way, I’m ok with that. High expectations only bring bigger disappointments. I’m also well used to summer histrionics about how much better our rivals have done than us in the transfer market. Was a feature of almost every single season under Fergie and the last season I can remember everyone being pleased/excited about our transfers was the Di Maria/Falcao summer or the Schneiderlin/BFS/Depay summer that followed (and we all know how that ended) So yeah, there’s not much to be positive about but a summer where we don’t do much business and don’t have high expectations could actually end up turning out ok. Which is good enough for me.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hopefully Lingard and Rashford can be positives next season. With the lack of links to an RW, Rashford may be capable of making this position his own. If he can have a break through there, teams will have to be less compact around thr centre and the left side of our attack, and this may add more room for Lingard in the middle, where he can run into open spaces.
Yeah, I think Rashford and Martial can play in that position if given time. If they can sort their crossing abilities, we will be sorted in RW.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No its because when he gets his chance he fluffs his lines. Lukaku and Sanchez contribute and graft when they are not playing well. They don't hide or give up when things are not going there way.

It's not about having a bad game as everyone has them. its about your application and attitude. This is the key point people, miss. No manager on earth picks a player like that over players that contribute unless they want to get the sack or cause issues within the squad when players that put in the effort don't get picked because you know "potential". Ronaldo and Messi don't get away with what he does and he has certainly not earnt the right to conserve energy like them and the reality is he will never be anywhere near that.

It's very simple. You don't perform fine just put some effort in and show you are willing to do that but if you don't perform on top of lack of effort then you have no right to cry about it and get your agent involved in undermining the club. That attitude can feck right off.

What if you are performing and get dropped (Martial)....what if you walk into someone's place and run a lot but are just terrible, not once, but week in, week out (Sanchez), what if your so bad for three months and aren't putting in a shift either, your just ambling about looking like you feel sorry for yourself to the extent the crowd are cheering when you finally get taken off (Lukaku).

Why is it ok for some and not others. Terrible man management leading to half the squad being pissed off.

EyeInTheSky

What if you are performing and get dropped (Martial)....what if you walk into someone's place and run a lot but are just terrible, not once, but week in, week out (Sanchez), what if your so bad for three months and aren't putting in a shift either, your just ambling about looking like you feel sorry for yourself to the extent the crowd are cheering when you finally get taken off (Lukaku).

Why is it ok for some and not others. Terrible man management leading to half the squad being pissed off.
"Running around" is BS. It is a given that to put some effort in players have to "Run around". When you lose the ball you should "run" to try and get it back or at least cover the massive gap you have left behind you rather than standing still or barely breaking into a light jog.

He will change that this season or he will be let go and the exact same thing will happen to him with that attitude.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The thing is, Sanchez has proven himself on the biggest stage time and again throughout an impressive career, so when he performs poorly for an extended period of time, it is viewed as nothing more than a bad run of form. Jose will fully expect Sanchez to return to his best in the not so distant future. Any manager would adopt the same attitude regarding a player of Sanchez's ilk.

However, Martial is still young and learning his trade, in and out of form, brilliant one week poor the next. Although his inconsistent form is to be expected, he cannot be afford the same luxury as Sanchez because he hasn't proven himself yet. Sanchez will always get the nod when fit, at least for the big games.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
"Running around" is BS. It is a given that to put some effort in players have to "Run around". When you lose the ball you should "run" to try and get it back or at least cover the massive gap you have left behind you rather than standing still or barely breaking into a light jog.

He will change that this season or he will be let go and the exact same thing will happen to him with that attitude.
So you can be terr

Running around is BS. Performing to a reasonable standard consistently is what's required.

And no way Sanchez did that. Manager playing favourites is never going to get the best out of a squad