Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Denis79

Too old to let football have that kind of impact in my life.

Havak

Pokemon master
I wouldn't go that far :lol:

Just frustrated at how transfers are handled.

If United pay a £108 package for Sancho on deadline day, what was the point? All you've done is made your manager's job more difficult for the first few games where we have looked shite. The time it will take players to settle in now could mean we are playing catch up all season again. Other clubs have generally got good deals or at least deals that made sense for that club over the line early on - even the two teams that were already better than us. I am assuming the board would expect a side that finished 3rd to chase down 1st and 2nd, so why are we purposely handicapping ourselves at the starting line? :lol:

Roboc7

There’s years more of this to come so no point getting depressed about it. This is Utd now, what the club was under SAF is gone. It will get better at some point but it could be a long time.

Last edited:

Pennywise

I wouldn't go as far as depressed football isn't that important. But there is no joy associated with the club and no optimism for the future of the club either

LARulz

No. Honestly, football doesn't bother me at all anymore. If we win that's nice, if we lose then that's annoying but there are far more important things I feel I have to deal with.

How or what United do ultimately is not influenced in any way by me personally

jasT1981

Depressed? No.

Frustrated? Yes

I have always supported Utd, always will. But I can now just shrug off results without it getting me down.

Drifter

American
Not depressed. But I don't get the same buzz as I used to when the team take the field.

VainCape

Depressed is too strong a word, but I've definitely felt better since realizing I was 'forcing' myself to watch our games out of habit. The game against Luton was the first time in 14 years that I intentionally skipped a match (i.e. had free time but chose not to watch). Felt weird at first and I kept checking the score but got used to it after a bit. Haven't watched a minute of footy since and its honestly been great.

Perhaps I just dont really care much for the modern game.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Frustrated yes. It's not even about not winning shit, I just am baffled at the sheer incompetence at the top.

youngrell

If anyone is genuinely depressed because of the club, I would firstly suggest to stop reading other fans views online because there’s a week’s worth of ups and downs in the space of a couple of hours each day at present.

A single tweet, often with no grounding other than wild speculation, is enough to kick off a huge meltdown among some fans and to me it seems extremely unhealthy to hang on such things on a daily basis.

We are all passionate about the club and football itself, but sometimes you need to take a step back and realise it’s not all that important to the point it makes you ill.

Crustanoid

It’s the board, owners and the ambition of the club which pisses me off.

We really should not be in this position and it is all down to them.

Actually watching matches just reinforces this, especially when we play badly (which is often)

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
The only thing that negatively impacts my daily life is missing out on a deadlift or squat I've been preparing for for 6-8 weeks. As for Manchester United, my emotions come on gameday, I'll get pumped if we score, grimace if we play poorly or allow goals. Sometims to the point where I can't bring myself to watch anymore and rather opt to check the live updates every few minutes in case we've scored and I can feel less bummed about the result. But it kinda ends when the game is over and done with.

It helps to put things into perspective: What exactly is the point of winning if you've never have to overcome anything? There's eventually no real joy in it. Being hopeful is part of being a football fan, as is taking a loss and look forward to the next game.

I think we as Manchester United fans sometimes have a very spoiled outlook on things following Sir Alex's tenure. Here: Everything that is not perfect or a win is always looked upon as a massive failure by primarily the manager, and secondly the actual players. In the transfer window the board gets blamed, then the manager, then the players. Blame, blame blame. Not support. Blame.

So knowing that, I strongly prefer to simply support the team, the manager and everyone in the club and look forward to the next game. Because unless you are an absolute manchild, you know that everyone there cares deeply about the club and does their absolute best to succeed. And wouldn't it be nice if we the fans could get behind everyone, even if we don't get everything we're pointing at?

DRM

Not depressed, but disappointed with the direction our club is heading, this coupled with the fact that liverpool are a juggernaut and on course to add more trophies. United games are also difficult to watch, most of the time they bring no joy.

Goku23

The board is making me depressed by the way they handle transfers

El Presidente

Actually watching matches just reinforces this, especially when we play badly (which is often)
Exactly. It's not the club itself, but the people managing it. And it makes me numb towards our matches.

The only thing that negatively impacts my daily life is missing out on a deadlift or squat I've been preparing for for 6-8 weeks. As for Manchester United, my emotions come on gameday, I'll get pumped if we score, grimace if we play poorly or allow goals. Sometims to the point where I can't bring myself to watch anymore and rather opt to check the live updates every few minutes in case we've scored and I can feel less bummed about the result. But it kinda ends when the game is over and done with.

It helps to put things into perspective: What exactly is the point of winning if you've never have to overcome anything? There's eventually no real joy in it. Being hopeful is part of being a football fan, as is taking a loss and look forward to the next game.

I think we as Manchester United fans sometimes have a very spoiled outlook on things following Sir Alex's tenure. Here: Everything that is not perfect or a win is always looked upon as a massive failure by primarily the manager, and secondly the actual players. In the transfer window the board gets blamed, then the manager, then the players. Blame, blame blame. Not support. Blame.

So knowing that, I strongly prefer to simply support the team, the manager and everyone in the club and look forward to the next game. Because unless you are an absolute manchild, you know that everyone there cares deeply about the club and does their absolute best to succeed. And wouldn't it be nice if we the fans could get behind everyone, even if we don't get everything we're pointing at?
That's well and all but there should be a fine line. There comes a moment when you should stop supporting and start raising questions.

I wouldn't support Moyes for being paid millions and doing a worse job than I could have. I won't support Woodward who has turned the biggest club in the country into a meme club. In fact, I would have liked for the fans to be more active in voicing their dissatisfaction.
When we look at things in retrospective, in just a few years we forgot what it's like to even challenge for a title. Not winning it. Challenging for it. Should I support that?

RkkMan

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

We are literally trying to sign a record signing, but are hamstrung by finances, yet you want us to go and blow money on other players to assist your mental health... What exactly do you think happens if we go buy other players? I'll give you a free hint, the Sancho deal doesn't happen. It is beyond clear that both clubs are now trying to push the transfer through as Dortmund clearly left Sancho out against Bayern for reasons other than him "being ill".

My assesment is bang on and you clearly do not understand finance or business decisions like most of the transfer muppet fan base of this club. Put it to you this way, if the Sancho transfer goes through, we will have spent the second largest sum of money in europe during the current climate and unlike Chelsea, we didn't have a ban last year to increase our spending powers this year.
You are being extremely short sighted if you think its just Sancho thats upsetting the fan base. If he was too expensive fine look al alternatives but Utd have known his price for months but played twiddly fingers with BVB all summer instead of strengthening other areas of the team now we are 3 days left into the window with ONE SIGNING in a very tough top 4 race and a VERY tough CL group to deal with in a summer where clubs with vastly inferior resources to us like Villa and Everton are outspending us. This has been a trend that has happened everytime we`ve finished outside the top 4 bar under LVG where Di Maria`s sale helped to finance our spending. The depressing thing is when we do inevitably do badly this season and Ole gets the sack we`ll probably hire Poch thinking all the problems will go away till he gets top 4 and next to no backing like Ole/Jose and he gets sacked again and repeat. The clear intention of the owners to only reap financial benefits of CL football which keeps us in a vicious cycle that will hamper us from EVER challenging for big trophies is whats frustrating fans not Sancho or any individual player

DON’T PANIC ™

To answer the OP, depressed is probably too strong a word for it. A mix between frustration watching games when we see the same lacklustre performances and feeling subdued about the reluctance of the Club to improve the quality of the squad.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
Not depressing me because I am not 14.
Annoying me for sure but in the grand scheme of things its not really important.

Thisistheone

This.

croadyman

Yeah that is exactly how I feel as well and it's horrible knowing you are absolutely helpless in this situation

AFC NimbleThumb

Had this happened when I were an adolescent with less perspective then I think this current situation would be very hard for me to take but as I’ve gotten older other things have become more important tbh - I’m also not going to get mad at a squad that quite simply isn’t good enough, if you know they’re going to let you down you can’t be upset when they do.

Also, since joining this forum & realising the fanbase is littered with bigots [spent far too much time in the CE forum at the beginning of lockdown] has also made me feel a little more distant from the club - couple that with no longer being able to attend games on my companies dime & I’m more emotionless than depressed currently.

rollingstoned1

people say they are depressed because of uniteds current ownership and woodward for our malaise while themselves ignoring the background of facts surrounding that assertion because that's a good coping mechanism at the moment. id say like any general feeling of disillusionment and dissatisfaction that comes around, it is an opportunity to take inventory and look inward. like somone already said we don't have a divine right to keep winning and if you're in it for the journey you'll see everything in a different light. alas this is the era of social media where every thing feels like it's been dialled up to 10 with the ephemeral overreaction around random events.

RkkMan

Wouldn`t say depressed per se but its incredibly frustrating looking at the current state of the club now and when I started supporting it. Yes we dont have a divine right to win every year but we have the resources to make Utd be in a much better state to challenge for trophies but those at the top are intentionally choosing not to do that as its a financial hindrance for them and the manner they run this club of priotitizing top 4 will keep up in a vicious cycle where at best we`ll only ever get the odd FA Cup or Carling Cup if we`re lucky but never the PL or CL which is what we should be aiming for. Even more depressing seeing LFC and City go from strength to strength every year while we continue to run with our tails between our legs. As some people here have said if its bothering you too much take a break and I may do just that starting this season as I don`t see us getting top nor making it past our CL group stage nor winning a trophy and I`m simply not going to lower my standards for The Glazers as a "coping mechanism" as that`s just not something that can sit right with me at all

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Exactly. It's not the club itself, but the people managing it. And it makes me numb towards our matches.

That's well and all but there should be a fine line. There comes a moment when you should stop supporting and start raising questions.

I wouldn't support Moyes for being paid millions and doing a worse job than I could have. I won't support Woodward who has turned the biggest club in the country into a meme club. In fact, I would have liked for the fans to be more active in voicing their dissatisfaction.
When we look at things in retrospective, in just a few years we forgot what it's like to even challenge for a title. Not winning it. Challenging for it. Should I support that?
In my opinion: You should always support the players and the manager if they are *obviously* doing their best and trying.

Think of it this way: Do you want negative people in your life? No of course you don't. Negativity and complaining offers nothing constructive and helps no one. It's fine to be critical and voice concerns based on factualty, but personally I draw the line at booing and hissing in public. It doesn't help the players, it doesn't help the manager and it doesn't make anyone feel good. Never waste energy being negative.

Toddler

The club I love is rotten, badly managed and most likely will never get back to the top with the people handling things up top. So yes, I am depressed and angry about it. And that's what every fan that has love for the club should be to be honest. Since Fergie left, it has been a shower of shite in most aspects within the club. Thinking positive in this regard leads to no change. How long are the majority of fans accepting this is the question.

I don't know how to contribute to the change we need in the club but ill do it if a chance arises.

Verminator

The club I love is rotten, badly managed and most likely will never get back to the top with the people handling things up top. So yes, I am depressed and angry about it. And that's what every fan that has love for the club should be to be honest. Since Fergie left, it has been a shower of shite in most aspects within the club. Thinking positive in this regard leads to no change. How long are the majority of fans accepting this is the question.

I don't know how to contribute to the change we need in the club but ill do it if a chance arises.
The thing is, being negative also leads to no change.
We all know that we are hamstrung by our owners. The club is. The manager is. The players are.
What is calling the manager "a PE teacher" or the players "cnuts", "idiots" etc, repeatedly in various threads, going to achieve?
Do we need multiple threads to examine the same complaints?

All we have is opinions.
Nobody on here is more qualified than anyone in the club, at doing their job.
Doesn't mean they are beyond criticism, but once you have made the point, move on.
Saying it 10 times a day, every single day, changes nothing. (Other than the general feel if this place, and people's opinions of you).

This is not aimed at the person quoted.
Just the first part was a response.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not depressed at all, but genuinely think some of the players we have are embarrassing and taking the piss. The players that won for years under Ferguson would have to be absolutely livid seeing guys who have never won a league title earning 6/7x times the amount they earned in their entire career.

Foxbatt

Yes it is depressing because we do have the money yet we are so incompetent. If they do not buy any new players when Covid is over and the stadiums are open fans are going to support Ole and criticise Woodward a lot more. We should fly the plane and make sure he dare not come to the stadium anymore.

irishmufc1990

I've suffered depression for years now, have a long term illness and around July time nearly lost my life.

You can't let football affect you so much, it's very unhealthy. Yes we want the best for our club, we want swashbuckling football and proper owners, and the current situation is horrible. But it isn't worth feeling depressed over. When I was a kid a defeat was the end of the world, but now I just get on with my weekend.

Amir

Depressed? no. Nauseated is the word. Because we know unfit people are running the club, because they seem to be more interested in PR (partly to trick us, the supporters). And also, admittedly, the whole Solskjaer debate is awfully poisonous now and it's like it created two factions of United fans battling one another like it's about Donald Trump or something.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
What is exactly wrong with people expressing their opinion? They are professionals, their performance in their role is up for scrutiny just as anyone else's would be. With the amount of money spent and the supposed reluctance to implement any personnel or structural change despite approaching 10 years of under-performance would be classified as incompetence.

Also the less said about your attempt at an attack in the latter end of your post, the better. Especially when you used 'who's' incorrectly.
:rolleyes:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The way the board handle transfers and contracts goes beyond any rational thinking. It’s massively annoying and it’s holding us back. Depressed no. Angry yes. It’s been 7 fecking years and counting. Sort it out or sell up you smug wankers.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There’s years more of this to come so no point getting depressed about it. This is Utd now, what the club was under SAF is gone. It will get better at some point but it could be a long time.
I think that's the thing that gets me, it'll likely be decades and decades before the Glazers decide to cash in. For them to even consider it our value has to massively plummet, which would involve some very depressing years as supporters.

Le Red

Too old to let football have that kind of impact in my life.
Exactly that. Anyone who gets depression symptoms due to something football related (there are people out there who do) needs to see a mental health professional ASAP.

Despite that, I can't deny that our owners only caring whether we make it to the UCL or not is very detrimental for my passion for football, which is already damaged due to how commercial and artificial the game became.
That does make me sad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not even close. You need your priorities checked if a rudderless club is getting you depressed.

Valuedrug

Depression? No, I wouldn't go that far. Sure, it very rarely contribues anything positive to my life these days, even if last season had some great moments as well at the potential to be built on after the season was over. Personally, I don't see Ole as the kind of standout coach a title contending club needs, and unless he is afforded a fortune, going any real places with him at the helm has seemed unlikely to me. But the fact that the potential that we had going into the transfer window is being so incredible squandered is draining for sure. And a bit tragicomic to be honest, which actually spawns a lot of hilarious gallows humor - a place of solace for me at times for sure.

I personally have a difficult time getting truly excited about short term gains like a couple of wins, unless I see the more long term indicators of improvement go along with them. So following a club like United is absolutely not helping my spirits in any way given how indifferent/incompetent/greedy/etc. the decision makers at the club appear to be. Too bad I'm the loyal type as well. It must be so much easier for the fair weather fans, who just disengage or even jump ship completely at times of trouble.

Also, just on the negative feedback you're getting. As is the case with a lot of places on the internet, voicing concern or criticism will quickly be jumped on by people prone to herd mentality. I feel they're a bit like shepherds dogs. The second you stray from the flock, they bark and run at you out of pure instinct. It doesn't promote a lot of intelligent discussion, but no doubt it makes them feel fulfilled to go with their gut so entirely all the time. Anyway, just to say I feel most of your posts in this thread to a large extent, and there is a number of us, who feel the same. Just got to mind the dogs and all :lol: