Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feck me lads if you are depressed due to United you got some serious issues you should sort out.
This. Being passionate is lovely and that, but if it's affecting your day to day life to the point of depression it's time to look into why.
Unfortunately a lot of people use the very serious term "depression" in place of "feeling a bit sad temporarily".

Denis' cuff

Its only football. I can get a bit down when we lose but I soon get over it. Its never going to affect my day to day life.

I really don't give a shit how we are run or what transfers we do or don't make because its beyond my control. I just enjoy watching games and enjoying the wins and suffering the losses and going through the emotional rollercoaster that is football.
dont mean to offend, pal but that doesn’t sound like a genuine supporter. Not saying you have to be “depressed” and I know there is a real world beyond football but to say you don’t give a shit how we are run.... ?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
dont mean to offend, pal but that doesn’t sound like a genuine supporter. Not saying you have to be “depressed” and I know there is a real world beyond football but to say you don’t give a shit how we are run.... ?
Seriously?

matt10000

The fans are making me more depressed than the club or it’s players. We have a toxic fanbase.
Yes, we are slowly building a young squad and finally have to continuity. There will be inconsistencies but there is more to be optimistic about now than therw has been for ages. However, fans who haven’t experienced pre Fergie era think that we have a god given right to win every league in style. Lige just doesn’t work like that and it would be boring if it did

RUCK4444

This. Being passionate is lovely and that, but if it's affecting your day to day life to the point of depression it's time to look into why.
Unfortunately a lot of people use the very serious term "depression" in place of "feeling a bit sad temporarily".
I think it depends if you suffer from actual depression or borderline depression, stress or anxiety which many do.

Your club can affect that, might sound silly to some but it does, just like every aspect of your day to day life does in that situation.

Al-T

Back when Sir Alex was in charge, a bad result would leave me down for a while. Probably a couple of days if we lost to Liverpool.

Nowadays, United regularly boil my piss but that's about it.

I've suffered with depression and United at their worst never made me feel as bad.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Depression was ages ago. I barely care nowardays.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Back when Sir Alex was in charge, a bad result would leave me down for a while. Probably a couple of days if we lost to Liverpool.

Nowadays, United regularly boil my piss but that's about it.

I've suffered with depression and United at their worst never made me feel as bad.
For me that upset when United lost under Fergie quickly became confidence that the next team we were playing would be in serious trouble. Now I just expect more of the same next game.

nokoya

Unbelievable, here for 10 years and no privilege to post int match day thread, depressed indeed !!

nokoya

For me that upset when United lost under Fergie quickly became confidence that the next team we were playing would be in serious trouble. Now I just expect more of the same next game.
You wont get the same next game, Ole isn't Fergie. We are finished.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Don't worry, your depression will be cured once we end the season on a 14-match unbeaten run and only JUST miss out on Europe. Momentum and hope!

Meller

Yeah I hardly care these days. I just expect us to be crap all the time. Numb.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You need to change things about you if United is making you depressed.
Normally id agree with you but with legitimate depression at all time highs in many places- its not surprising people are looking for a pick me up in sports. When the team you follow doesnt do well - that's probably like a double slap in the face so to speak.

Castia

Season barely started and it’s over for us already.

Sad times.

Tyrion

I'm not sure if the second part of that is true. I think a lot of people genuinely base their mental and emotional health on the performance of a football team. Plenty of people act like complete animals when watching football.

Edit: We're obviously shit so I just pay less attention to us.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Normally id agree with you but with legitimate depression at all time highs in many places- its not surprising people are looking for a pick me up in sports. When the team you follow doesnt do well - that's probably like a double slap in the face so to speak.
Don't use something you have such little control over as a pick me up would be my advice to that.

bondsname

Tottenham is currently leading 4-1. Honestly, I have felt worse for less. The previous seasons I would be upset for a week if we lost a game by one goal, but I think I will brush off this loss after 1 hour. I guess I have gotten used to it.

We're doing everything wrong at the moment, absolutely everything. I have no trust in the board or the players, and I have been a supporter of Ole because of his values but I'm wondering if I have been ignoring his faults. I will always support United, but I'm starting to believe we won't get back to the top, we will be stuck in the top 6 but the odd season we'll do slightly better and end up qualifying for the Champions League, giving us false hope. It's been like this for 7 years now, and nothing has changed.

Nickelodeon

Why reach the CL if this is what we do before we even play our first match?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
No. Over the last seven years I have slowly come to accept our standard. I still get annoyed but I'm so accustomed to losing now that it doesn't stick with me like it used to.

We aren't going anywhere as a club. I don't expect us to seriously challenge for the league. Seeing us get beat is just confirmation of what I already suspect.

I've moved from believing we'll win the league to not expecting it to happen again for a decade, probably more. So why get worked up?

Hephaestus

No, my depression is making me depressed. United's "defence" is about the only thing that makes me laugh at the moment so that's something.

El Zoido

How much did the negativity of the summer contribute towards this? We came back blazing after the break, and had a strong end to the season. Then it’s just been bad story after bad story, Maguire, AWB, Greenwood with England, horribly transfer window. We should have immediately bought players and come in to the new season strong, instead it was doom and gloom before the first ball was even kicked. It really does have an effect.

Nick7

How much did the negativity of the summer contribute towards this? We came back blazing after the break, and had a strong end to the season. Then it’s just been bad story after bad story, Maguire, AWB, Greenwood with England, horribly transfer window. We should have immediately bought players and come in to the new season strong, instead it was doom and gloom before the first ball was even kicked. It really does have an effect.
It’s the complete and utter mismanagement from the top for me. Great end to the season followed by Ed and crew completely dropping the ball. I’ve never been an Ole fan as our manager but i just feel bad for him now. He’s being strung up. I’ve wanted him gone since last summer as I think he was the wrong appointment but at this stage I don’t think any manager will help us.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’m not depressed, I’ve been cheering on Spurs in the second half.

I’ll save my depression for the morning when nobody is sacked.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I am not really depressed as I started expecting United to become crap the summer Ronaldo left.

I actually registered on here to vent (was lurking for years before that) and was mostly ridiculed in the Newbies - the Glazers know what they are doing, etc. Note that this was in a fairly decent period for United, on the back of a title and a CL Final.

I do agree that the Glazers know what they are doing, but they do not have the interests of the club at heart. So, there is no way to get back to the top and I have accepted this a long time ago.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone getting depressed at what is happening given the steady decline in the last 7+ years needs to give their head a wobble.

Part of me can understand if the younger members of the squad are a little overly passionate but honestly “it’s just a game” - expecting more from this team is foolish; you can’t be depressed when the results are the sum of the squads quality [or lack there of].

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Anyone getting depressed at what is happening given the steady decline in the last 7+ years needs to give their head a wobble.

Part of me can understand if the younger members of the squad are a little overly passionate but honestly “it’s just a game” - expecting more from this team is foolish; you can’t be depressed when the results are the sum of the squads quality [or lack there of].
The results honestly don't impact me, That happens, it's a game as you said.

It's seeing our board run us into the ground whilst getting rich in the progress does, however.