Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Godfather

We've become so shit under Ole the last couple of games it's reached the stage of entertainment again.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Game-changing suggestion there! :rolleyes:
Why the roll eyes? You act as if a football team worth hundreds of millions is difficult to make play attractive football? :rolleyes:

@Regulus Arcturus Black that's great and everything, but football is a source of entertainment, and I guess many fans have supported this club for years, are they only supposed to watch when we play good football? And how are they going to know when that happens? Should they all refer to you as to when to watch us?

Deery

Dreary
I read a tweet the other day were a guy said no matter what he still gets excited to every week to seeing United play, only to be ultimately left feeling disappointed after 90mins.

That’s how I kinda feel as well no matter our form I’m still up for every match only to feel fed up after it.

Red00012

Because we’ve been so poor I’ve found myself getting a kick/ cheering up by seeing opposing teams dropping points. But back to conversation Sad but not depressed .

Why the roll eyes? You act as if a football team worth hundreds of millions is difficult to make play attractive football? :rolleyes:

@Regulus Arcturus Black that's great and everything, but football is a source of entertainment, and I guess many fans have supported this club for years, are they only supposed to watch when we play good football? And how are they going to know when that happens? Should they all refer to you as to when to watch us?
No, they should seek help, just as a drug addict would.
It’s incredibly unhealthy to allow a sports team you have no control over to affect your mood so badly it can slip you in depression.

The answer to a drug problem @RUCK4444, isn’t more drugs just because the highs are so good and you’ve done it for ages.

Water Melon

Football should give you pleasure. It is both passion and entertainment. If watching United makes someone feel depressed, they should avoid doing so. Mental state and health are a top priority, always.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You dont understand depression if football is making you depressed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes they are, and pretty much have done since Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
feck yes if it depresses them. If your entire state of mind is controlled by something you have absolutely zero control over, that’s a very unhealthy place to be. Seek help.
100%

If anyone genuinely feels depressive episodes coming on after watching a football match then there is a serious health issue that they need to address with support from a mental health professional.

It’s fine to be sad after a match or disappointed but it should not have that much of an effect on someone in a healthy state. If it does I’d urge you to seek support and absolutely take a break from watching football.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its really not enjoyable lately watching United so if you're any way low then give the football a miss for a while. Its not going to improve any time soon.

100%

If anyone genuinely feels depressive episodes coming on after watching a football match then there is a serious health issue that they need to address with support from a mental health professional.

It’s fine to be sad after a match or disappointed but it should not have that much of an effect on someone in a healthy state. If it does I’d urge you to seek support and absolutely take a break from watching football.
Yup, and I agree with your post above also. Football can absolutely be a "trigger".

L1nk

I think whats depressive for me is the fact that even WITH the Glazers running the club it could currently still be run a hell of a lot better than it is, they just choose not to because they’d rather keep their investment banker mate in the most important position

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I won’t say depressed, as I don’t feel it’s the correct word as real depression is far more serious than football. United piss me off in all honesty. We are shit for months, then we’re good for months, then shit, then good, rinse & repeat. Every time I start to believe something good is happening at this club they let me down. The cycle just continues. The circle of mediocrity.

I’m really hating watching us lately. Like it feels like a chore. I wish I could skip our games at the moment to be honest. I can’t though.

RUCK4444

The answer to a drug problem @RUCK4444, isn’t more drugs just because the highs are so good and you’ve done it for ages.
I don’t understand your point sorry.

The easiest thing to tell anybody with any form of addiction is to just stop, except by definition of the word addiction it’s not anywhere near that simple is it.

As I’ve said, I can’t stop watching United, I could but it would make me more down missing the games than it does when we lose.

I actually find this place more depressing than the loss in itself, the knee jerking and negative tirades are quite literally depressing. Reading negativity over and over again no doubt affects my mood. Which is why I’ve been considering taking a break from the caf for a good while now, except I’ve mentally linked this place and the club which is a testament to the creators of the forum but it’s a bad thing for me when it’s become such a super negative place. If you see what I mean.

The easiest thing to tell anybody with any form of addiction is to just stop, except by definition of the word addiction it’s not anywhere near that simple is it.

As I’ve said, I can’t stop watching United, I could but it would make me more down missing the games than it does when we lose.

I actually find this place more depressing than the loss in itself, the knee jerking and negative tirades are quite literally depressing. Reading negativity over and over again no doubt affects my mood. Which is why I’ve been considering taking a break from the caf for a good while now, except I’ve mentally linked this place and the club which is a testament to the creators of the forum but it’s a bad thing for me when it’s become such a super negative place. If you see what I mean.
No-one is telling you to just stop though, absolutely no-one.

We are telling anyone who finds that football can trigger clinical depression to seek help, just as we'd give the same advice to a drug addict. You don't think drug addicts say they "can't stop", that "no drugs or alcohol makes them more down"?

But you're not listening.

Eriku

You think we’re consciously avoiding playing attractive football? It’s a redundant thing to say, well worth an eyeroll, for me.

RUCK4444

No-one is telling you to just stop though, absolutely no-one.

We are telling anyone who finds that football can trigger clinical depression to seek help, just as we'd give the same advice to a drug addict. You don't think drug addicts say they "can't stop", that "no drugs or alcohol makes them more down"?

But you're not listening.
Really, it’s me who’s not listening? You literally just said to stop watching. “The answer to a drug problem isn’t more drugs” you said.

You clearly have no understanding of addiction, the inherent habitual nature of people or clinical depression and how they are linked so just leave it there eh.

Again, football alone does not make somebody depressed, it just forms part of the daily things that influence your mood when you have existing depression.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think that’s a bit unfair. People suffering from depression can’t choose their triggers.
Well maybe your right.

However, how many teams are there in this world that are not successful and dont play enjoyable football.

Our rivals tend to go on 20 years of inconsistent spree where their fans are supporting their team with the loudest voice when it matters.

This clubs fans are shit. They believe they are the only team in the world that could go in tro depression because the team is playing worse than they want.

The whole world would be depressed from their football considering how little get happy from it when you look at our fans.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Seems like a lot of our fanbase have signed themselves up to an unhealthy situation. Their enjoyment of the club being in direct proportion to the success of the team.

Sport is about highs and lows, and it's totally true that without the sour, the sweet isn't as sweet.

Lappen

ManUtd losing games makes me irritated and acting like an old grumpy fart... my family starting to dislike ManUtd because of my grumpy act!
I feel a bit depressed, but I do understand there is "degrees in hell" and that people living in a war-zone or dealing with physical issues can teach me allot about depression.

Ludens the Red

It’s one thing United bringing someone down. I understand that. That can’t be controlled. It’s black and white. Win, lose or draw.
However you stating the forum is literally depressing you even more than games based on a subjective take on what qualifies as ‘knee jerking’ ‘negative tirades’ and general ‘negativity’ is quite extreme. You’re essentially saying people having a difference of opinion to you is making you depressed. That can’t be healthy at all and I’d definitely advice taking a break from the forum for a significant period.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Well maybe your right.

However, how many teams are there in this world that are not successful and dont play enjoyable football.

Our rivals tend to go on 20 years of inconsistent spree where their fans are supporting their team with the loudest voice when it matters.

This clubs fans are shit. They believe they are the only team in the world that could go in tro depression because the team is playing worse than they want.

The whole world would be depressed from their football considering how little get happy from it when you look at our fans.
And so anyone who attributes a disproportionate amount of their happiness based on uncontrollable external factors is likely not in a good frame of mind to recognise and deal with that problem alone.

Hence don’t judge them encourage them to find help.

Monkey bus

Watching United has never made me depressed. That’s a strong term when you take everything into account that we’re all going through at the moment.

They certainly affect my mood though. When we beat the scousers a few weeks ago I was in a really good mood that day and into Monday. When we made top of the league I was exactly the same. It felt good starting to look at other team’s fixtures to see where points could be dropped etc. It doesn’t last unfortunately. It’s an addiction though.

When we lose I do get disappointed and sometimes I’m not the best person to be around. When there’s a bit of controversy against us I get annoyed and that can certainly affect the rest of my day and how I am around others.

That’s never changed in the 37 years I’ve supported United and can’t see it altering in the future.

I just think as there’s nothing else going on at the moment it’s all been amplified out of proportion. United playing is one of the highlights of my week.

I think this offers the best explanation of why views are so different on here and social media in general from game to game. We win, all’s good and Ole’s taking us on the right path. We lose and he’s out of his depth and Rashford’s overrated.

Hoping we’ll see a difference when folk can get out a bit more.

croadyman

I think whats depressive for me is the fact that even WITH the Glazers running the club it could currently still be run a hell of a lot better than it is, they just choose not to because they’d rather keep their investment banker mate in the most important position
Yeah you have absolutely nailed it there for me in a nutshell because feel there are two big problems at the moment both of which could have been avoided with better planning. The first is like you say those yankee leeches choosing to put that toy story puppet in charge of football matters and let's not forget his little uni sidekick either with those contract negotiations. The second would have to be Ole's in game management and particularly his reluctance to try things out for fear of losing a game and it backfiring on him, now personally I feel that having some better coaching alongside him would definitely improve that side of things but he won't listen to that.

Last edited:

Counterfactual

I'd like to make a suggestion.... instead of the TV experience, try listening to the radio while doing something productive.

1: Radio commentators are often better, because they have to be.
2: You'll get something productive done.
3: You can always watch free highlights if we win, and skip them if we don't.
4: If you hate it, go back to the TV experience. If you love it, you can save a few quid on your TV package.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I used to, but then I realized it was because I was already depressed in general life. United amplified it. A couple years later I’m in a much better headspace and it all just rolls off my back. When we win and play well I enjoy it. When they don’t I’m just frustrated for the moment but then get on with my life

Brophs

The One and Only
Once upon a time I might have been but now I’ve got a lovely wife and kids to make me depressed.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They aren’t making me depressed, but they aren’t offering me an escape at the moment either.

The world is so tough right now with the pandemic and various quarantines. I am back at home again for a two week quarantine right now which could affect my whole business going forward.

I thought, at least I can sit down and watch the Palace game! And it was just soul crushing. All that talent playing that kind of football. It is frustrating, and even more frustrating that it’s become the accepted norm.

The fact that you can’t do anything about it just makes me sad, not depressed.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They aren't making me depressed but I've lost significant interest in watching them. I don't wake up for midweek games (which are usually around 3am in the morning over here) any longer. And I've stopped following all the United players on social media because they are full of shit. I also find myself browsing on my phone more than paying attention whenever a game is on.

Bearded One

No! We are improving and if we have a very good transfer window, we will be right up there competing again. At least I hope so.....

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Depressed ? Nope. Football in general will always remind of great things, especially Solskjaer's moment in Barcelona.

Severely worried ? Too much sometimes, but I guess it's justified and club's debt rising isn't helping at all, especially after Woodward's guarantees, from last years. Football success could help the finances and we should be pushing for it like never before.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
More annoyed than anything else, annoyed by the fact that we've squandered the advantage SAF gained us throughout the 90s and 00s because of the leeches. Underinvestment in SAF's final years followed by directionless waste of money in the following (almost) decade.
And the (mostly) boring and outdated football, that's annoying as well.

Other than that - it's all good.

Paul_Scholes18

It is a big pain at the moment, but I think I got used to us failing now so I cope with it better.
What hurt was building the hope up only to suffer by being absolute shit for many games after a good run.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Seems like a lot of our fanbase have signed themselves up to an unhealthy situation. Their enjoyment of the club being in direct proportion to the success of the team.

Sport is about highs and lows, and it's totally true that without the sour, the sweet isn't as sweet.
Nail on head. It can be frustrating and it can make you mad or sad. That’s totally normal. It may also make you a little bit depressed talking around in circles about how to fix the club but at the end of the day why would you let something you have 0 control over control how you feel or act in general beyond that?

It’s probably going to take another few years for us to sort ourselves out as an organisation so if you don’t have the stomach for the flat and plain bad while that happens then don’t get as invested. We should probably come with a depression warning for the next while :nervous:
Imagine how those Liverpool fans felt for the last 30 years?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'd like to make a suggestion.... instead of the TV experience, try listening to the radio while doing something productive.

1: Radio commentators are often better, because they have to be.
2: You'll get something productive done.
3: You can always watch free highlights if we win, and skip them if we don't.
4: If you hate it, go back to the TV experience. If you love it, you can save a few quid on your TV package.
I used to enjoy listening to United on the radio back in the day - 105.4 Century FM I think it was with Mickey Thomas and somebody else who's name I can't remember! May try your suggestion (Not for the City game though :) )

always_hoping

Depression is chemical imbalance in the brain. You could win the lotto and it wouldn't lift the black clouds around the head of someone depressed.

rotherham_red

Not so much Utd, but the relentless negativity on here and social media is. Previously when we've had bad runs under Fergie there'd be a siege mentality but that's long gone now unfortunately.

Crustanoid

Go and watch this you noveau plastic cvnts: And then feck off and support City or Chelsea.