Are we starting to look a little like a football team?

Olecurls99

I'd need to see a lot more smart link up play from Dalot-Antony/Sancho and Shaw-Rashford/Sancho down the flanks and top form Casemiro before I thought we were a really top team but the potential is there.

GazTheLegend

We're starting to have a little bit of character and fight about us (City game apart). That's what we needed first and foremost. The rest will follow when Erik gets his ideas fully across to the players.
Honestly think even the city game showed some heart. The fact they kept going and made it 6-3 was somewhat miraculous considering we were 4-0 down after 40 minutes.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I’m impressed. Still early days and only had one transfer window but for me things are definitely looking better.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I thought we were fantastic yesterday.

There was some sloppy passing at times, but that’s because we have changed style. A manager doesn’t walk in and say “I want progressive, one touch and move football” and the players suddenly do it perfectly. We can work on those mistakes and make it better.

We gave Everton very little to work with until the flurry of set pieces at the end. Casemiro was a bit frustrating with his passing at times, but he was great off the ball; I think he’ll prove to be a great addition for a couple of years.

Real Name

Definitely. They were some parts of play yesterday where we looked really, really good. Possession wise we're looking better every game. Still a lot of work to be done but onwards and upwards definitely.

norm87cro

We did beat Liverpool and quite frankly spanked the almighty Arsenal (waiting for their bottle job after the WC) so I really dont know what half of the CAF wants. City spanked us but they are light years ahead of the rest of the league and we can surley beat the remaining 18 teams.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't think Everton are a very poor side per se, but they were very poor last night even Lampard alluded to how he felt they were off colour.

Don't get me wrong they were times we made them look quite poor with a good press, but they were also times we were very lucky they didn't take advantage of some very poor mistakes from us and also bear in mind our two goals come from really poor mistakes from them.

Could very easily of finished 2-2 after the late onslought from Everton. And I would be intrigued to see how many people think we are starting to look like a proper football side if that happened
Fair enough regarding the Everton comment, I see what you mean!

Regarding the bolded, I think there’s a good chance it would have been carnage. But that would just be down to the more optimistic posters being more hesitant to post, and the inverse being true. I guess there is probably a section who equate progress solely with the immediate footballing results but I think by this point it's only a small one (at least over such a small sample size).

I agree also about the goals coming from mistakes from your opposition, but creating chances while on the front foot is definitely one of the more difficult facets of the game to achieve, so I think for now we'll more likely see signs of the footballing progress when it comes to the foundation of the approach, stuff like the commitment to playing it out from the back and circumnavigating the oppo press, while many of the goals scored still coming from turning it over and getting shot on goal through quick transitions.

kthanksbye

I still think we're going to struggle to be as fluid as we want us to be if we continue playing a formation with a #10 and another #10 in midfield.
It's got nothing to do with the implementation of the tactics and everything to do with the areas that our players occupy and the options they have on the ball.
We've got a big issue on what we're going to do with Bruno, Eriksen is good enough to play as a CM, given that he's partnered with another CM and a DM behind them, but Bruno isn't, and as long as we're playing with a #10, we're going to struggle to play free flowing football.

davidmichael

You can definitely see that the squad are adapting to ETH’s tactics and you can see what ETH is implementing so I’d say if you take out the freak Brentford result it’s been acceptable in a transitional year for the squad and a debut year for ETH.

My main concerns are us over reliance on Eriksen being the conductor from midfield, Varane/Martinez staying fit, Martial staying fit, Fernandes starting scoring again and goals from out wide continuing.

We are a genuine quality right back, another creative midfielder ala De Jong and a striker who can score goals but also link up play away from being as good as anyone in the league outside of City which means we could then challenge for cup trophies domestically should City have an off day and get knocked out of a cup.

I’m the most optimistic I’ve been with the club since Sir Alex retired as this is the first time we’ve had a progressive manager who can coach and is tactically fluid and on the up in his career instead of someone who is out of their depth or far past their best and I think another summer of ETH getting who HE wants in the squad will be massive for us going forward.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definite improvements across the board.

The first half was a joy to behold really, we dominated them and should have been 3/4 goals up.

Obviously they grew into the game and that can happen, that's where we need to take the next step and kill the game off.

We defended well though and never creaked under the pressure. If we can play like we did in the first half regularly, we will win more often than not.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah passing and movement is noticeably improved. I'm now consistently seeing players off the ball provider the guy in possession with multiple passing options, particularly when playing from the back.

Hammondo

With martial we looked decent, without we were quite poor.

I think we still have a huge amount of work to do, our attack simply didn't do enough last night.

Raincool165

We are still passing backward ways too much comparing what we did under Sir Alex, and the speed of the game is also not high as we used to be.

abaka

I’m seeing a lot of positives. I am impressed with Erikson but I think we need a better quality playmaker in MDF. I haven’t seen Erikson grip a game by the scruff of the neck and really dictate our play. Frustratingly Pogba might have been incredible in this system.

I doubt we’ll go back in for DeJong, but for me we need a new CM, a New RB and a GK. I also think a plan B for a striker or perhaps plan A if Marrial can’t stay fit. A proper battering ram of a striker to occupy defenders and allow our inside forwards to drive into space and create panic/overloads.

It’s definitely the most promising we’ve seen from United in a long time. We had flashes of positive under LVG, Mour and Ole but it never seemed like we had a distinct plan or something we’re building too. This feels like we’re developing something that’s going to reap us benefits!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Very happy with the progress. We all knew it was going to take time. Actually think things are happening a lot quicker than I thought. There are characters in the team now, who have fight and arrogance about them. We don't need shrinking violets on the pitch. They have to fight as a group.

RedDevilQuebecois

What I really liked the most from what I saw yesterday is how our players now seem to get comfortable at threading passes through while all in movement. It's incredible when you think that our team often looked scared to make such quick and accurate passes while on the move for years. I think we are beginning to see the team getting far more efficient and sharper in the context of a possession game.

Still some way before we can apply the approach on the balance of a full match like City do, but knowing that our defensive setup can now bend without breaking is a solid plus to rely upon as we build the rest.

Giggsy13

Yes some of the build up play against Everton’s press was lovely at times but there remains a lack of consistency, as seen in the 2nd half performance. We are starting to see a resilience with this team again, which just wasn’t there last season. A great test coming in the next run of fixtures will see how much progress we’ve made. If we can get thru Newcastle, spurs, Chelsea and west ham without a loss and hopefully with 8 to 10 points in the bag. We do that and we’re legitimate top 4 contenders.

madi5h

If martial hadnt of gotten injured again i would have said yes, the fluidity with and without him was night and day. sure ronaldo scored but we looked back to disjointed, make it up as you go along, hope for individual moments again. not so much a "team",

lex talionis

Yes, we've improved in all facets of the game from where Ole and Ralf left things off, but we're still not as effective as we should be in the final third against parked buses.

Dr. StrangeHate

ETH needs to be backed. Get a striker in and this team will go up a level. Dalot looks a man reborn. Missing out on Timber and getting Martinez was a blessing too.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yes we absolutely are!

we look in control, are organised and have structure. There will still be poor results along the way (possibly even this Chelsea game) but we’re well on our way to actually being a proper team.

Put a top striker in the team and we’re a completely different proposition.

Kag

I think we are. We’ll probably go on to lose this now, but we actually look like there’s a bit of a plan there.

rooney2009

Win or lose this
We are actually controlling games and are beginning to look like a good team.
If only Martial was fit??

Chairman Steve

We’re actually playing quite well against the better teams so hopefully it translates to our nice run of mid-to-lower half league teams until 19th January 2023 when our next ‘big’ game is (City at OT).

Feck me we need a striker though. Hopefully Martial can stay together until January and we buy someone half decent.

CM

Definitely. We pass and move the ball well and we're starting to really suffocate teams by winning the ball back high up the pitch.

We need to get better at the hardest part - putting the ball in the back of the net. Hopefully once Martial returns we'll get a bit better in that respect.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And/or Ronaldo wasn't a dick.

I think this would have been a good game for him, especially with their doggy keeper
Even if he wasn't a dick, he's shit now. The reason he's not playing isn't because he's a dick. It's because he's just not good anymore.

That first 35 mins at Chelsea was incredible. Balanced, composed, high pressures. All components of a modern team. Something has clicked in the last week or two and I’m loving this.

Rojofiam

Get ten Hag a new keeper, a striker, and a central midfielder...it's gonna be scary, but not for us. :drool:

We look like a modern football team. 10 years late but ETH doing a good job on the training pitch regardless if we lose this game.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Defence is solid now

Midfield is solid now

Attack is shite -

If we had son - kane - antony as our attack I would be confident we'd be challenging for everything.

cyril C

Defence is solid now
Only when Varane is fit
Midfield is solid now
Still not convinced Casemero + Eriksen is good enough against top teams, need to figure a way to slot in Fred for a 4312. Putting Bruno on the left is not good neither, perhaps a 4312 with Bruno as false 9. Work to do.
Attack is shite -

If we had son - kane - antony as our attack I would be confident we'd be challenging for everything.
Agree but we don't have them. Sancho is still a big IF to me, you can practically compare the difference between Antony and Sancho, with the ball. Sancho likes to dribble, no problem with that, but his passing and decision making need drastic improvement.

But 1 thing for sure, we are definitely defending set piece as a team, as I no longer look away on every corner or set piece that we conceded.

Tragically Hip

Hell yeah we are. We dominated Chelsea away today and we take the three points with a finisher in the team, which I’m convinced will arrive in the next window.

justboy68

Love the passing patterns we are seeing now. So much happier watching this team now even when we draw, compared to the zombie, 'individual brilliance' style football of the past however many years. Although with that being said we could actully use a bit more individual brilliance from the players up top.