Are we starting to look a little like a football team?

wangyu

In this country, you gotta make the mentality first. Then when you get the mentality, you get the football. Then when you get the football, then you get the trophies.
I said exactly the same though:angel:

Shark

@NotShark
Iv got to say no. A good football side wins that 4 or 5 -1, not desperately holding on to a 2-1 win against a frankly very poor Everton side.

There was some good moments, but we really lack ruthlessness at times, we relax too quickly in games before we put them to bed and switch off and balls up to many good opportunities by being dim.
We should have been 1-3 to the good and Everton barely layed a glove on us after their first goal.

The patterns of play are more visible. The build up from the back is there, slowly, but there. The small signs of a modern football team is starting to sprout.

The third man runs of Bruno and Eriksen are brilliant now, by the way. The same runs Van De Beek and Neres used to make in ETHs prime Ajax team in ‘19.

Abraxas

We've won 5 out of 8 which by the standards of recent seasons isn't a bad haul after playing some good sides. Not sensational but avoiding silly draws is good as wins and the odd loss are generally better than drawing loads.

We've also managed to win in a few different ways. I thought our possession was fairly dominant today and we more or less controlled the game while also being threatening. Whereas we've also shown the ability to grind out results against the likes of Liverpool.

We need to up the consistency in all aspects of our play, I still don't think the manager is happy with how cheaply we give it away. I'm fairly sure based on his Ajax side he wants to see more controlled possession and less mistakes in this aspect.

AlPistacho

The type of characters people have said we’ve been missing for the past 10 years are now in the team.

Just with Martinez in the back look at how Dalot now looks more fired up and (when he plays) Varane looks like the Rolls Royce of CB that he is.

Also Antony clearly has a bit about him.

Reactions: Invictus

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We always had good players, but with shit /no coaching we couldn't get the basics right. Now we are getting there, what makes a big difference, but still a lot of room for improvement obviously.

City game was an unfortunate one-off in the middle of a decent run. I don't pay much attention to it. I think If we can steady the shop in the coming weeks, we will get better results because the improvement in general play is as clear as day.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yes, I like where we are heading. The defense is solid and our offense is starting to come alive and really could have scored a total of 8 or 9 goals on Thursday and today. Someday we will see 4 or 5 goals in a match.

Antony looks to be really classy. I'm almost prepared to say that someday he could be one of the best wingers in the game. I hope he has a good work ethic and good head on his shoulders.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Honestly never thought out defence could play out from the back like that.
Looks like Lindelof could have a future here after all
It was our best technical performance to date under ETH. Quick passing, good movement, good decision making (which is almost unheard of for this team). In terms of Lindelof we did benefit from not facing a strong or a pacey striker for the majority of the match. Seeing Varane play minutes is incredibly reassuring. I would take Lindelof over Maguire though (unless we need someone just for the height).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Iv got to say no. A good football side wins that 4 or 5 -1, not desperately holding on to a 2-1 win against a frankly very poor Everton side.

There was some good moments, but we really lack ruthlessness at times, we relax too quickly in games before we put them to bed and switch off and balls up to many good opportunities by being dim.
That's an answer to a different question though. You're not the finished article yet, it takes time to build good footballing sides. ETH has only been there a short while, and the squad is one comprised of a bunch of players bought or developed by different managers with different approaches. He's been able to bring in some of his own players of course but even then he's trying to bed them into a new club in a new league. ETH is still in the infancy of his tenure so he's trying to instil a new way of playing at the club and achieving that in a consistent manner, while trying to remain competitive and getting results while doing so. Like you said there were some good moments interspersed amongst the not so great, and it's about drilling the side and getting to the point where they control more and more of the '90.

This Everton team aren't a great side but I wouldn't say they're a very poor side either. They're coming off a couple wins, they give up very few goals and it had been ages since they'd lost. Combine that with your side having just come off a big defeat in the league and going a goal behind early, I thought it was a promising night.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You have to be blind to not be able to see it. We are still not good but you can clearly see that every player is trying to look for a pass rather than just hoofing the ball. That’s the first sign of a football team

Boondog

Passing seems to be improving every game. Lot to improve but we're seeing glimpses.

Also I felt like I was watching a different keeper with DDG. They're doing a great job with him and credit to him to work like he must be doing at this stage of his career. He might emerge out of this a much better player, regardless of whether he sticks around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
5 wins out of last six prem games so by that metric I'd say you're doing fine in transitional season. Antony hit the ground running compared to Sancho 12 months ago aswell.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes. I think we are visibly improved in our movement off the ball, our passing, and in our communication the most. Given time, I think ETH will have us playing like a whole unit again.

mav_9me

I was thinking this the first half. When was the last time we’d go to somewhere like Everton and actually be confident, on the front foot and having so many numbers forward dominating the ball.

Away wins at Leicester, Southampton and now Everton.
I actually thought our performances were very similar in those 2 games (caveat, I missed 45th to 75th mins)

We controlled the game, they didn't really have many chances. In fact if I'm not mistaken in first half Everton didn't have any touches in our box.

mav_9me

The one thing I'll say is the forum is swinging a bit wildly. Lost against city, all the negativity was out in full flow. Win against Everton, it's all roses.

I wanted to say this after City, clearly we are a huge work in progress, but we have already made significant strides. Much more composed on the ball, and much better control against lesser sides. The next challenge will be creating in the attack vs defense type of games.

croadyman

The patterns of play are more visible. The build up from the back is there, slowly, but there. The small signs of a modern football team is starting to sprout.

The third man runs of Bruno and Eriksen are brilliant now, by the way. The same runs Van De Beek and Neres used to make in ETHs prime Ajax team in ‘19.
Can Donny still play a part in this team when he actually gets fully fit this season

croadyman

5 wins out of last six prem games so by that metric I'd say you're doing fine in transitional season. Antony hit the ground running compared to Sancho 12 months ago aswell.
Frustrating we have coughed up those two defeats early on which left us with minus goal difference,however sometimes you need some early pain for long term gain.

We are definitely making gradual improvements and gotta remember we are a couple of seasons behind where Arsenal are now.

Bert_

Taking the foot off the pedal has been an issue for years but I don't think that's as prevelent now and one of the biggest differences we're seeing. We carried on creating chances and looked like we had an urgency to score more. We seem far more aware that the job isn't done when we go ahead. If we were more clinical and could finish more of those chances then it would have been far more comfortable. That will come though as the team finds its rhythm.

In the space of a couple of months we've gone from hoping we don't get embarrassed to complaining that we should have won by a bigger margin! If we carry on progressing then it won't be too long before we're regularly putting teams to the sword I reckon.

Reactions: Carolina Red

SAF is the GOAT

Sorry but I'm not convinced yet

First half we had a lot of heart attacks because of miss passes by our players

We move the ball so slow and stand still without doing any movement off the ball that we aren't surprising any opponents. That's also the reason why we are struggling to break teams and create clear cut chances.

For years our strikers suffered from that because they had to live off of scraps in games.

Okey

Slow progress, but progress. We won't get where he/we want with the squad as it is. Should take at least 3 windows to get his own players in almost every position, then we will see the real deal. Hopefully it's a title-winning deal.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There are some indications that we are moving in the right direction. He still needs more time on the training pitch to implement his ideas which might take this entire season. That, and he needs more new players for certain positions to suit his style of play - a playmaking central midfielder (like FDJ), a centre forward who’s able to hold the ball up and bring others into play and a right back. But I’m happy with the progress.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Heads dont drop as much anymore, pressing with non headless chicken formating. No more fredtominay, god damn even DDG was sweeping yesterday. Also, we dont shit the bed going one goal down in the first half anymore. Of course we are looking like a team. About fecking time.

bringbackbebe

I don't remember the last time we dominated a team away as much as we've done in the first half against Everton. The direction we're heading is clearly visible but there will be bumps along the way.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
It was a great result and we should have scored more. We are still a major work in progress as there were a lot of occassions when the forward ball was not played and instead going back was opted. Even by known quality passers such as Casemiro and Eriksen. And lots of unforced errors. Maybe in a couple of months this will be history.

Longshanks

That's an answer to a different question though. You're not the finished article yet, it takes time to build good footballing sides. ETH has only been there a short while, and the squad is one comprised of a bunch of players bought or developed by different managers with different approaches. He's been able to bring in some of his own players of course but even then he's trying to bed them into a new club in a new league. ETH is still in the infancy of his tenure so he's trying to instil a new way of playing at the club and achieving that in a consistent manner, while trying to remain competitive and getting results while doing so. Like you said there were some good moments interspersed amongst the not so great, and it's about drilling the side and getting to the point where they control more and more of the '90.

This Everton team aren't a great side but I wouldn't say they're a very poor side either. They're coming off a couple wins, they give up very few goals and it had been ages since they'd lost. Combine that with your side having just come off a big defeat in the league and going a goal behind early, I thought it was a promising night.
I don't think Everton are a very poor side per se, but they were very poor last night even Lampard alluded to how he felt they were off colour.

Don't get me wrong they were times we made them look quite poor with a good press, but they were also times we were very lucky they didn't take advantage of some very poor mistakes from us and also bear in mind our two goals come from really poor mistakes from them.

Could very easily of finished 2-2 after the late onslought from Everton. And I would be intrigued to see how many people think we are starting to look like a proper football side if that happened

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Impressed with Shaw's intensity yesterday. I still don't really believe in his ability to keep it up over a period of time but if he can then he's one of the left backs there is.

wolvored

We are slowly improving and I think if we can get a decent rb and a good striker in, this team would be a lot better. More than likely this will be in the summer, but hopefully in Jan.
In TH we trust.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We should be judging Manchester United against relatively high standards. Because they are Manchester United.
And yes it is still very early days.
But while not playing that well, we are winning games.
And that is so important for overall confidence building.

Olecurls99

I don't think Everton are a very poor side per se, but they were very poor last night even Lampard alluded to how he felt they were off colour.

Don't get me wrong they were times we made them look quite poor with a good press, but they were also times we were very lucky they didn't take advantage of some very poor mistakes from us and also bear in mind our two goals come from really poor mistakes from them.

Could very easily of finished 2-2 after the late onslought from Everton. And I would be intrigued to see how many people think we are starting to look like a proper football side if that happened
I agree with you that Everton were pretty poor last night. I think we're showing signs of top quality but we're nowhere near stitching it all together.

saivet

In patches but it feels we are a long way off. Seems as though we can put together a good spell of 30 minutes or so but we can't sustain it for long periods of time. It's a work in progress but I can't say I think we've had any really impressive performances this. I didn't watch the Sheriff game but that might be the only comfortable win we've had all season and from what I gather it wasn't pretty at all.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yes we are. Night and day to how we looked under the last two regimes. Night and day.

We still have some issues and plenty of room for improvement but we've got a proper manager who is respected by players, backed up by a competent coaching setup, makes all the difference.