Are we the club with most off-field issues in the world?

Daily_Blind

I think part of the issue is that in the past managers have brought in prima donnas with high opinions of themselves who are then put on very high wages and it goes to their head. I’m thinking of Pogba, Sancho, Maguire, even Ronaldo (although at least he could back it up with his play). We have had very poor recruitment for the past 12 or so years and I’m not just talking about from the physical play perspective but also from the mental perspective. In American sports teams do an entire psychological assessment of a player before bringing them in. United clearly haven’t done that. However, I think ETH is changing that and changing the culture. He seems to be bringing in players with a stronger mental fortitude. Sure Antony is a bit of a prima Donna and admittedly is lacking in terms of playing quality but he gives everything on the pitch and doesn’t let adversity affect him. Can we say that about Pogba, Sancho, and Maguire?

Plastic Evra

It's much less prominent than a while ago but FC Hollywood had a whole controversy because Neuer broke his leg skiing off season (up to garnishing his wages) and a bunch of fights in training over recent years -Mané/Sané, Coman/Lewandowski, Goretzka/Boateng- to keep the Matthaus tradition alive I suppose. Plus sacking two historical figures of the clubs hours within a new league title & churning coaches ever since Pep.

I can't imagine how many lower level incidents and diva temper tantrums are making it to press but without passing a language / intensity threshold to reach foreign shores.

croadyman

Yep without a doubt and convinced McTominay,Maguire & Sancho are infecting the dressing room. They should have gone in the summer but our clowns pay them far too much so don't want to lose it.

wolvored

We have never been a well run club. Our history post WW2 has been shaped by two exceptional managers.

Everything else has been a mess (excluding 74 - 77 period which my dad and uncle maintain was their best period watching the club.)
Yes this sums it up. I am hoping TH can turn it into a third period. Fergie had to deal with the drinking culture before we got better.

IRONTUSK

The fact the Sancho story has garnered more interest than City being charged 115 times (the most in the history of any sports team/club) say`s it all really.

United news will always be big news...especially when it`s negative.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not really, we just obviously follow our club more and we generate more clicks than most

Literally the other day Gillingham had multiple players injured in a crash caught on camera. City has a litany of issues, Barca's levers, Bayern's Former President was jailed. Every club has off field issues and lots of them.

UpWithRivers

Sancho, Greenwood, Antony arguably the best RW young players in the world - All fkd. What's the odds?

The White Pele

That “no dickheads” rule that Richard Arnold allegedly had regarding player recruitment didn’t last long did it

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
All clubs have their share of off field issues but we seem to have more than most, and it’s more about players or player manager relations, than how the club is financed.

Plus the media love a good negative United story.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A side effect of being the worst run club in the world.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
If we were as good as City, it wouldn't get as much attention. The football is nothing special and so the press have moved on to something else about us.

Swordsman

If Utd is a company this is what's happening.

Its like a new CEO joining a company, bring his entire village because he only trust them and had some level of success working with them. He made it public that he wants to ship out and replace almost everyone he inherited from the current company causing rift and uncertainty for those hired under the old regime. Especially those who felt they weren't given a proper chance as the boss gave more opportunities to those from his village despite them making mistakes and underperforming. Those who openly voiced their concerns or doubt him were immediately shifted out or removed from office so as not to disrupt the "harmony" the boss is looking for in his team.

When the company did well enough to win Enterprise of the season after not winning a single award for several years, boss has a mini special celebration with the ones from his village, and those who were left out were left wondering why they weren't included or invited to perform the special celebration even though they've played a part in the success of the team. All along the CEO stress the importance of teamwork and unity in several press conference. By the end of his first year in charge, 2 of the company's employee of the year in 2 consecutive years left the company as the CEO do not hold them in high regards in his future plans.

Months later one of the people he hired from his village at a high cost have dodgy background as some of his former female colleagues accused him of violence against them and made a police report but no punishment is meted out yet on him by the company or were delayed whereas a similar incident which happened to an intern who rose through the ranks were dealt with swiftly. The company is not doing as well now, but the board and some supporters feel that the CEO should be given more time to get rid of the remaining old guards who are viruses in the company so that he can form the company under his own image and more success is sure to follow. Some of the people he recently hired had to go through several weeks of leave due to various health issues some of which were known during the hiring process but the CEO persisted in hiring them.

The CEO now has no choice but to turn to some of the old guards to step in a do the job for them as he is short handed. These old guards know they are only there temporarily as the CEO will ship them out as soon as the people he hire are back in action. Some refused to leave as they know they will not be as highly paid elsewhere. One of worker voiced his dissatisfaction publicly after the CEO mention to a reporter (who enquired about the worker's absence) that he was not performing well internally even though he was not selected in the sales team after a poor weekly performance.

The CEO is still expected to get a good result by financial year end, once he has formed the team in his image.

Puskas_007

The fact the Sancho story has garnered more interest than City being charged 115 times (the most in the history of any sports team/club) say`s it all really.

United news will always be big news...especially when it`s negative.
Not really, we just obviously follow our club more and we generate more clicks than most

Literally the other day Gillingham had multiple players injured in a crash caught on camera. City has a litany of issues, Barca's levers, Bayern's Former President was jailed. Every club has off field issues and lots of them.
All clubs have their share of off field issues but we seem to have more than most, and it’s more about players or player manager relations, than how the club is financed.

Plus the media love a good negative United story.
Aye, we've been a lightning rod in the media due to the notoriety the club has, our name went beyond purely sporting matters after Munich, and we HAD a family image after the unbelievable stewardship of Busby and Ferguson, all of the love and hard work that has gone into creating our name has been turned into a corporate brand, and our executive is formed of corporate shrills (and you can print that)...

There will be a new day, life is cyclical, the media pressure, which currently feels relentless is a symptom of outlets needing new content constantly to keep those precious clicks coming there way, cynical hacks (not all of them obvs)...

Judas

Open to offers
Yep without a doubt and convinced McTominay,Maguire & Sancho are infecting the dressing room. They should have gone in the summer but our clowns pay them far too much so don't want to lose it.
:lol: :houllier: McTominay catching a ridiculously random stray. How can you be convinced of something you’ve just made up based on nothing?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The media shape football, and nothing sells like a negative United story.
No, it just feels that way because a) we're closer to it and b) our shit gets reported more because we're one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If this shit happens at Crystal Palace, no one gives a toss.
No. But if off field stuff is creating more news than on field stuff/(lack) of success, then it will come across this way.
I mean hardly anything comes close to Cantona kicking a fan or Keane admitting he deliberately injured Haaland. Or even the Beckham/Fergie boot incident. The difference being that our on field success created even more (positive) headlines.

Dunno about that. I think you're all underestimating how mad our off-field issues have been. The Greenwood thing alone is off the charts crazy. From having audio footage of an (alleged) sexual assault going viral that was recorded while it was actually happening, to the most promising young talent at the club (and for his country) having his career more or less completely torpedo'd overnight. Then we have the ham-fisted attempt at reintegration. Dragging in a bunch of female players, who are in the final of the fecking World Cup. That's all next level stuff. Speaking of Greenwood and crazy shit, that same player getting dropped from his national side for breaking covid regulations at an away fixture is fairly fecking unusual.

The Antony thing isn't too unusual, I guess but the timing so soon after Greenwood would cause a huge drama at basically any other club. Then to have the player most likely to provide cover for him to call his manager a liar on Twitter and allude to some other mysterious goings on behind the scenes....

You can kind of dismiss each individual drama on its own and argue that they're being blown out of proportion by the press but to have so much mad stuff happen, all on top of each other, is not something I can ever remember happening at any other club, ever.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

Hated, adored, never ignored.

We get so much attention on us that everything we do will be picked up on. That said, it's not any club I can think of that got so much shit going on time after time.

Baxquux

:lol: :houllier: McTominay catching a ridiculously random stray. How can you be convinced of something you’ve just made up based on nothing?
'Setting a bad example' around competency in CM by being selected regularly, maybe.... Otherwise though, McT seems to be pretty well regarded in terms of character, or at least not seen to be overly flash/sulky. The only other thing, perhaps, would be that he doesn't seem to have ironed out his positional awareness issues, confidence in showing for the ball under pressure, and his tackling...but sometimes a player is just largely midtable standard except when you ask him to do very specific jobs, and it isn't down to laziness or similar character flaws.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dunno about that. I think you're all underestimating how mad our off-field issues have been. The Greenwood thing alone is off the charts crazy. From having audio footage of an (alleged) sexual assault going viral that was recorded while it was actually happening, to the most promising young talent at the club (and for his country) having his career more or less completely torpedo'd overnight. Then we have the ham-fisted attempt at reintegration. Dragging in a bunch of female players, who are in the final of the fecking World Cup. That's all next level stuff. Speaking of Greenwood and crazy shit, that same player getting dropped from his national side for breaking covid regulations at an away fixture is fairly fecking unusual.

The Antony thing isn't too unusual, I guess but the timing so soon after Greenwood would cause a huge drama at basically any other club. Then to have the player most likely to provide cover for him to call his manager a liar on Twitter and allude to some other mysterious goings on behind the scenes....

You can kind of dismiss each individual drama on its own and argue that they're being blown out of proportion by the press but to have so much mad stuff happen, all on top of each other, is not something I can ever remember happening at any other club, ever.
My comment was made prior to the recent Antony news and Konopka news, so it does seem to be a ridiculous pile on at this point that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else. Just need a racism scandal and we may just have hit scandal bingo.

pogbasformerbarber

A rush to judgement on MG was why he can’t play for us anymore after…apparently…it was determined by law enforcement and the club he was innocent of the accusations.

I sincerely hope we…as fans…learn from this and withhold serious judgement on Antony until it’s clear exactly what he did and if he actually did it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Oh right. Should have spotted that. Also prior to the Sancho drama, right?
Sadly not, I feel the Sancho one is a bit of a storm in a teacup anyway. That being said I did know the original Antony news was out there, so in hindsight, maybe I was being a bit too generous with us.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

I think a lot of it is down to the timing. The Greenwood thing was a mess, and the club handled terribly - imo we deserve all the flack we catch for that one.
But, the Antony piece - the alleged incidents all happened a fairly long time ago, and how the club were supposed to know the (first) accused would hit the headlines within a week of Greenwood disaster...that feels unlucky. And the subsequent accusers are a factor of the first, so again, tough.
Then we have Sancho, who is obviously not the first player to be gently called out by a manager but might be the first to react like such a petulant child, not a professional, experienced footballer.
To the inviting a paedo - that apparently happened over a year ago, and further, it was just to some closed-door event. The club is obviously not going to vet every guest at every event ever. This is only really being brought up at this moment to try and piggy-back on the United pain train.

Outside of Greenwood, I have a huge amount of sympathy for those working at Manchester United. The owners are scum, and worse, indecisive scum that create an air of uncertainty to work under. The media hate United, so picking us apart is always high on the agenda. Add into that the somewhat tepid start to the season and I think it's all just a timing issue.

If we come back after the break, beat Brighton at home with a decent performance (I know, I know) I think it'll blow over.

croadyman

Because feel like he should have pushed for the move more. He is hardly playing so can only think he isn't willing to do that because of how much he is on at Utd and doesn't want to take a wage cut

neon_badger

The club is like the Tory government, controlled by horrendous ghouls living on borrowed time, everyday we continue like this is a day that could be spent cleaning up the mess and rebuilding.

nickm

If we come back after the break, beat Brighton at home with a decent performance (I know, I know) I think it'll blow over.
Yep. A section of our fans love to get in a flap don't they, it's like they are supporting a Kpop band or something, where the off pitch theatrics is part of the fun. God, it's tedious.

Hoof the ball

August 2024 Update

Rashford - Arrested for connection to El Chapo. Accused of smuggling fentanyl through school meals.

Antony - Prison. Serving time in some Brasilian penitentiary where the guards are worse than the inmates.

Martinez - Arrested in connection to a string of homicides with a butcher's cleaver.

Hojlund - leaked WhatsApp chats with Infantino out him as a Putin sympathiser and secret informant for the Russian state, leaking classified state info.

Wouldn't even be surprised now, tbh.

Von Mistelroum

Yes.

The owners are bad people and have cultivated a bad culture.

Upper management is bad because they're hired by bad owners

The collective group of managers we've hired over the years have nothing in common and have been a bad fit, because the people hiring them are bad

Half the players we sign are greedy, self entitled and lazy. Because we've allowed a bad culture to fester and breed these horrible players

All these issues we face aren't bad luck. We face so many issues so often because the people running this club are not only bad at their jobs, they're contemptible people
Literally exactly this. A change was needed but didn't come. These problems will be inherent with the club until the Glazers children's children finally sell of their shares for £500 when they've made the club worthless in 50 years or so.

JediSith

I think people are underestimating the storm Arsenal might end up facing.

If it’s true that they are playing a player who has been arrested for rape, and are protecting “his privacy” how’s it going to be if that player goes to trial and gets convicted.

I think it will be far worse in comparison to anything United have faced on a morality question. But the coverage might be less due to United being a bigger brand.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
August 2024 Update

Rashford - Arrested for connection to El Chapo. Accused of smuggling fentanyl through school meals.

Antony - Prison. Serving time in some Brasilian penitentiary where the guards are worse than the inmates.

Martinez - Arrested in connection to a string of homicides with a butcher's cleaver.

Hojlund - leaked WhatsApp chats with Infantino out him as a Putin sympathiser and secret informant for the Russian state, leaking classified state info.

Wouldn't even be surprised now, tbh.
Rashford - Selling free school meals vouchers on eBay at a profit