Are we too pragmatic in the big games?

OleBoiii

Pragmatism is not the same as being defensive. Today was another example of that.

FahadiHossein

It is a general pattern, because I feel that this season is just different.
The top three currently are now focusing on deep, structured football, because whoever does not concede first will end up not conceding and not lose in the end.
The two who insisted on attacking have paid dearly - Klopp and Lampard.

el3mel

Can't complain about it today. The plan worked pretty well in second half, we were even closer to get a third from our counters.

MU655

Amazing how adding a few goals to a team that is fairly solid defensively makes a massive difference in these games. Pragmatism is the only way to approach these matches in my view. That’s why Ferguson was so successful.
You can't deny the early penalty helped to create space. Getting the lead so early put the onus on City to attack and create more and more space behind. We are good when we have more space and can score. The issue is when we don't score early like that, which tends to end in bore draws.

We played similarly, but today it worked. I don't think it will work in the majority of games, though. We have to take the lead early or it is going to be a long day.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pragmatism was definitely the right way to go today. Previous big games was not warranted but this was against a seemingly unstoppable side away from home. Made complete sense to go to a counter mode and it worked thankfully.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Defensive and Counter attacking football works well when the opposition needs to score

Ludens the Red

We started today and against Chelsea quite similar. Pushing up and pressing, committing players forward. So there’s definitely been some active work in that area. The problem vs Chelsea is we gave up on it early after not scoring. Then didn’t take much risk.
Today we actually took risks even playing on the counter, committing 5/6 including Shaw forward. That’s how we need to play in these games. Nobody is expecting city levels of domination through a game against the big teams but you have to push players forward when the opportunity arises.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I hate when we win games pragmatically. Why can’t we win by being idealistic? :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Tonight we’re playing as if we are the side who are happy with the 0-0.