Are we too pragmatic in the big games?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We always set up sitting deep looking to counter. We had some success against the big 6 last season with this approach but this season we seem to have been found out

in games against the “big 6” this season
Played 5
Won 0
Drew 2
Lost 3
Goals scored 1 (penalty)
Goals conceded 9

It’s worth noting that all 5 of these were at Old Trafford, yet Spurs game aside we played with the handbrake on in all of them. Clearly the pragmatism & counter focused football isn’t working anymore against the bigger teams. Is it time to perhaps start being more adventurous?

Becks00

Exactly we need to trust our create players more and start benching one of Fred or McTominay in the midfield. Starting Bailly in defence instead of Lindelof would also help.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't think so far the aim is just to counter these teams at all, since Bruno arrived we try to take the game to teams far more because we have a player of quality that allows this now

Issue isn't sitting deep trying to counter it's that we're still finding our way when it comes to imposing ourselves on the opposition and breaking them down

Chelsea, Arsenal and City twice now have all come to OT with a low block as they know thats where we struggle. City last night was the only game of those 4 where the opposition showed any interest in actually attacking us

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think we set up that particularly deep last night, but when you start Lindelof and Maguire together we're always going to have to be that little bit deeper. We were pretty positive in the first half. Second half we didn't do anything with the plenty of possession we had. We were slow and cumbersome.

We just still struggle at breaking teams down especially if Bruno isn't at it. Our attack last night was totally not on it, we were doomed.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I think the big teams have realised that we're far better counter attacking or playing in behind them. Thats resulted in these teams changing their approach against us - they tend to sit back a little more often knowing that we'll struggle to break them down and, evidently, we do. Leicester did this too.

We've got a massive issue and we haven't done enough to resolve it.

tomaldinho1

100% yes. Maybe more knock out games than just 'big games' but this season there have been two 'crunch' games, RBL and last night. RBL we set up like we wanted a 0-0 and it cost us, made more frustrating when you think how average they looked once we changed our system and tried to attack them albeit too late. It goes without saying that was far more disappointing than yesterday given it was the CL.

Last night the double pivot was completely redundant because they played a false 9 & even then Maguire and Lindelof were getting moved around a fair bit. Once we started having to chase the game we had decent spells where we forced them back but there was no real cutting edge in our attack.

Personally in these types of games, I think we do have to alter our approach a bit and make other teams work a lot harder for the ball. Last night every time we got the ball, we sent a direct through ball in behind and turned over possession. You could see we had good energy for the first half but we were knackered for the 2nd because they're happy to keep moving players around, keep us chasing the ball and we don't have a particularly good press. We run a lot but at one point we were trying to press over the entire pitch and it just doesn't work, Bruno looked like he'd just run a marathon by about 50mins as he kept trying to initiate a press against their CBs and they just let him come onto them, pinged a simple pass out of trouble and then just worked the ball up the pitch into the chasm of space behind him.

Nickelodeon

A plan B could help. Not having Cavani available for most of these games is also a big negative for us.

Roboc7

It’s obvious the other big six teams have adjusted their tactics and the only one who hasn’t realised is Ole. 7 games without a win against these opponents now, only 2 goals scored, 5 defeats and 14 conceded.

acnumber9

We’ll continue to struggle to take the game to better teams when we pick midfields that are just there to hassle the opposition. We approach every game like we’re the underdog. Centre of midfield and centre of defence are still big problems for us.

AndersB

Last night the double pivot was completely redundant because they played a false 9 & even then Maguire and Lindelof were getting moved around a fair bit.
Care to explain this part? I am asking not sarcastically, I would like to know as it's the kind of in game theory I may not fully grasp

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

We’ll continue to struggle to take the game to better teams when we pick midfields that are just there to hassle the opposition. We approach every game like we’re the underdog. Centre of midfield and centre of defence are still big problems for us.
This is a perfect way to describe us in a large amount of games. Setting up like the underdog. We even did this against Aston Villa. All 4 games against PSG & Leipzig.. even Arsenal at home we played for a 0-0.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes, but it's not about sitting deep, it's a problem of ineffective pressing and lack of ability to keep the ball against organized teams pressing. ManCity didn't sit back yesterday, they had 70% of possession in first half, which resulted in a lot of frustration from our front 4 (we've broken into pieces). At some point it seemed impossible to get the ball away from them, because even after a successful tackle ball went back to City player. Anybody who played football knows how annoying it is. Pep teams always do that to us.

ManCity sat back when they were ahead because they saw it's more likely we will concede from counter rather than score against their well organized defense.

It would help if we had someone like Gundogan in McTominay place (or even Matic/van de Beek, which is why I thought it's a mistake to go Fred-McTominay against City). But this is a coaching issue rather than personnel. It also doesn't help we play different team every game, but Ole is managing the squad very well so it's not all black and white.

OleBoiii

Fergie was also pragmatic. The big games tended to be low-scoring and often dull affairs. Particularly against Liverpool and City.

Also, 'pragmatic' does not equal 'defensive'. We weren't defensive yesterday, for instance. Being pragmatic just means that you set up the team and tactics according to your opponent, even if it means that you have to make a lot of changes. There's nothing wrong with that. All coaches have a pragmatic side, but some more than others. There's nothing wrong with pragmatism, imo. It's fun to watch relentlessly attacking and inflexible coaches like Bielsa, but I'd rather take a spoonful of pragmatism if it also meant that the results will improve.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Pogba is the elephant in the room imo. He has mostly been a liability in the double pivot this season. We're trying to shoehorn him in by playing two defensive minded mids to shield him. In return what that does is always leave us a man short in attack because we're playing with a forward less. Combine that with toothless fullbacks and our attacking threat diminishes totally.

It also hampers Bruno's play because he naturally likes to drop deep to pick up the ball. He even drops deeper when there are three midfielders behind him which means we're only left with two forwards vs a whole defensive line. If we insist on using the same personnel as last night then it might be better to deploy Bruno as a false 9. As a false 9 he'd be on the CBs and when he then drops slightly deeper to collect the ball then one of the CBs will be forced to follow and leave the defensive line (alternatively they'll man-mark him with a DM and as a consequence give Pogba space to dictate play).

Against dippers we simply have to play to our strengths and exploit their defence:

Fred - McT
Rashford - Bruno - Martial
Cavani​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is a perfect way to describe us in a large amount of games. Setting up like the underdog. We even did this against Aston Villa. All 4 games against PSG & Leipzig.. even Arsenal at home we played for a 0-0.
Which is it playing deep on the counter or playing for a 0-0 because they're both completely different and you've said both in this thread

You were wrong with both assessments as well, as if we'd play for a 0-0 against Arsenal

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Pogba is the elephant in the room imo. He has mostly been a liability in the double pivot this season. We're trying to shoehorn him in by playing two defensive minded mids to shield him. In return what that does is always leave us a man short in attack because we're playing with a forward less. Combine that with toothless fullbacks and our attacking threat diminishes totally.

It also hampers Bruno's play because he naturally likes to drop deep to pick up the ball. He even drops deeper when there are three midfielders behind him which means we're only left with two forwards vs a whole defensive line. If we insist on using the same personnel as last night then it might be better to deploy Bruno as a false 9. As a false 9 he'd be on the CBs and when he then drops slightly deeper to collect the ball then one of the CBs will be forced to follow and leave the defensive line (alternatively they'll man-mark him with a DM and as a consequence give Pogba space to dictate play).

Against dippers we simply have to play to our strengths and exploit their defence:

Fred - McT
Cavani​
A core of Maguire, Lindelof, Fred & McTominay agai at Liverpool’s press is suicide.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Fred - McT
Cavani​
You make good points tbh, I just wanna add that a CM partnership of Fred/McT has its own problems in terms of controlling games via passing. They're just not technical enough IMHO. Ole plays Pogba because I think he wants to increase the technical level of the midfield, even if it means playing him in a weird position.

Last edited:

romufc

They're just technical enough IMHO.
This is our biggest problem in midfield. I dont mind using Fred or McTominay but we need someone who will keep the ball and not lose it in the midfield too. Look at how City beat the press, Gundogan just turns and off they go.

We do not have the player who can start attacks for us. It puts excess pressure on Bruno / Pogba / Rashford to almost force play because they hardly get the ball.

passing-wind

We have no defined style of play so against big teams we cannot impose ourselves. We had success with soaking up pressure and countering last season but we haven't evolved from this approach in these level of games. All I saw yesterday is post complaints about individuals not turning up. Funnily enough that is the summation of how we get results, it works when we play against teams with weaker starting 11 compared to ours but it's not a foundation for us to win games consistently throughout an entire season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is our biggest problem in midfield. I dont mind using Fred or McTominay but we need someone who will keep the ball and not lose it in the midfield too. Look at how City beat the press, Gundogan just turns and off they go.

We do not have the player who can start attacks for us. It puts excess pressure on Bruno / Pogba / Rashford to almost force play because they hardly get the ball.
You obviously understand what I meant as I forgot to type "not" ;) I like both players too but they're obviously limited in what they can bring for certain situations

romufc

You obviously understand what I meant as I forgot to type "not" ;) I like both players too but they're obviously limited in what they can bring for certain situations
Yeah, I do. The CB and CDM is so crucial for us. I hope Ole does not get blinded by Fred and McTominay.

The reason why we as fans say Fred is the best DM is because he is the only one in our squad who has energy in the midfield. Any player with an engine can do that job, but we need more, someone who is clever in that position.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We always set up sitting deep looking to counter. We had some success against the big 6 last season with this approach but this season we seem to have been found out

Played 5
Won 0
Drew 2
Lost 3
Goals scored 1 (penalty)
Goals conceded 9

It’s worth noting that all 5 of these were at Old Trafford, yet Spurs game aside we played with the handbrake on in all of them. Clearly the pragmatism & counter focused football isn’t working anymore against the bigger teams. Is it time to perhaps start being more adventurous?
Posted this in another thread. It goes back to the end of last season too:

Here’s an even more damning stat: Since that famous McTominay goal against City, the last in front of a full stadium, United have played eight games against Big 6 sides behind closed doors. United have failed to score a single non-penalty goal, scoring only three penalties in all those eight games!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A core of Maguire, Lindelof, Fred & McTominay agai at Liverpool’s press is suicide.
Pool don't press much these days. Those four played against them last season and we would have won if not for a daft mistake by Rojo(?) in the final minutes. Hopefully Bailly gets the nod over Lindelof.

I just think it's too close to the game to try out new combinations. I know there will be people in the match thread wanting a Donny/Pogba pivot and other crazy suggestions that won't happen.

You make good points tbh, I just wanna add that a CM partnership of Fred/McT has its own problems in terms of controlling games via passing. They're just not technical enough IMHO. Ole plays Pogba because I think he wants to increase the technical level of the midfield, even if it means playing him in a weird position.
Yeah not a big fan of the Fred/McT duo. In an ideal world we buy a class DM and turn Donny into a B2B. Fred/McT as squad players and Donny can slot in as a backup to Bruno too. That would be midfield balanced and set for the next few years. Pogba can jog off to Italy and we strengthen other parts of the squad.

I actually think Pogba would be quite good in that position if we were to rest Bruno and play Cavani as a CF. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to his role for France.

CG1010

Posted this in another thread. It goes back to the end of last season too:
Wow that's terrible. Obviously these teams have adjusted their approach vis-a-vis us based on their losses last season. Now upto Ole to do so. I felt our approach with 4 technical midfielders against Leipzeg (when we won) could have been used against City by bringing in VDB too.

The other issue is our tendency to bottle key games. Basically a lot to work on for Ole and his team.

acnumber9

Fred - McT
Cavani​
I don’t know. Pogba was clearly being used as a target ball for us to get out. He was regularly winning headers against Cancelo and bringing the ball down. The problem was his final ball was shit. Had he not been doing that, I’m not sure we would’ve got out at all.

The problem we have defensively is nobody in our team follows runners, they’re all drawn to the ball which means quick one twos were taking out two players and it was easy for City to play round us.

In an attacking sense, there’s not a lot you can do when your best players play like shit. None of our forwards played well, though you could argue that’s exacerbated by us not getting the ball to them often enough or quick enough.

davidmichael

We’re to predictable as I can tell you (injury permitting) our starting eleven, our formation, our tactics and how we’ll play in every big game we play which means our opposition who are far more qualified than me know exactly what to do against us.

They know to press AWB as much as possible, they know Lindelof and Maguire will simply knock the ball to each other if no one is dropping deep, they know we’ll play McTominay and Fred which means combative but not creative, they know our only real threat is Fernandes and Rashford and they know if Martial isn’t up for it to simply stay tight on him.

I’d rather we play VDB alongside one of McTominay or Fred in home games or even Pogba so we’re more creative and work the ball forward faster, I’d rather we play Tuanzebe or Bailly if Maguire plays as both have pace, I’d rather we try Laird in a home game if fit so we’ve got a right back who’s comfortable on the ball and gives the opposition something to worry about offensively and I’d rather we play Greenwood through the middle as Martial needs a regular kick up the arse but we don’t do any of those so we’ve become predictable and hope for magic from Fernandes or Rashford or a penalty.

tomaldinho1

Care to explain this part? I am asking not sarcastically, I would like to know as it's the kind of in game theory I may not fully grasp
High level the idea of the false 9 is to provide numerical advantage in possession through the midfield, create triangles in attacking areas & tactically it presents a dilemma for CBs with being pulled out of position. The latter part of this happens no matter what formation you play in your midfield but, by playing Fred/McT in a double pivot I feel the onus is way too defensive and cedes too much space to KDB/Gundogan. Pep used to play us with an inverted triangle with Fernandinho or Rodri as the sole DM, then two more advanced midfielders whereas the last two times he has played us, after Ole's great record against them last season, he went with a double pivot of his own in that awful 0-0 draw and last night used a false 9. On a very basic level, think of the strength of a double pivot and how it matches up to that traditional formation, it is a lot easier to mark players (you can have one CB pick up the No9 and one sit off) and track runners and is why Pep is usually reliant on attacking full backs to create overlaps/extra passing options as most teams go defensive and sit deep against him.

AWB-----Lindelof-----Maguire-----Shaw
Mahrez-------------- Aguero -------------Sterling
------------- Fred ------- McT--------------
---------------Foden --------------KDB ----------------
--------------------Bruno -------------------
------------------------ Fernandinho--------------------

I personally think, as evidenced by his tactics in the 0-0 draw, Pep knows our only threat is if he has his full backs bomb on and Martial/Rashford can run into that space and run at one of the CBs or we get lucky with a long ball/error. He can't really change the last point but he can mitigate the former. Therefore, if he's not letting Zinchenko & Cancelo both bomb on at will (Cancelo kept Pogba wide but he never really got that far forward, same with Zinchenko and Rashford) he needs to create an overload somewhere and that's what the false 9 did. They had a fluid front line but, again high level, this is how they created so much space in my opinion as Mahrez/Sterling would drop off and it basically meant our midfield ran itself into the ground having to try and cover the extra man and the absolute chasm of space that is between Bruno and the double pivot, there's a reason people kept saying McT and Fred were anonymous because they were just constantly trying to cover ground and shut down passing lanes. That formation contributed heavily to City looking so good last night because 1st half I think people would agree we were in the game, contesting the ball and doing well but that level of work rate for Fred/McT is unsustainable for 90mins.

Maybe a better way to phrase it would be that specifically playing Fred/McT as the double pivot was made redundant by them using a false nine because, that is to say two technically limited but combative CMs was an overly cautious decision from Ole in my mind. If Ole is set on using the double pivot, had that been Fred & VDB for example the balance might have been a lot better as I think VDB would have naturally drifted further forward and we would have retained possession more successfully, which is how you avoid getting too tired in these games. Just my opinion but that's the way I saw it last night - they just pinged it around their midfield using the extra man advantage and we tired out 2nd half, they were lucky with the set piece but generally had complete control of the game and bar one great block from Diaz we didn't really do that much at all in 90mins..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From Arsenal, Chelsea and City league games I certainly feel we approach the games too cautiously. I have little doubt that if we beat Burnley, we will be cautious at Anfield too.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
From Arsenal, Chelsea and City league games I certainly feel we approach the games too cautiously. I have little doubt that if we beat Burnley, we will be cautious at Anfield too.
Liverpool will be more vulnerable because their fullbacks push forward, so I imagine we can have more space to attack. City backline was super steady yesterday, just left all others to do the job, and we didn't do enough to draw defenders out.

Giggsyking

Cant you see the progress? We used to win these games, now we dont!

Tallis

I think there is false selection in looking at the “big 6” and including Arsenal in that list and excluding Villa and Everton / Southampton. Not sure whether anything useful can be learnt from looking at our results in that manner. The Spurs game was a one off, the Arsenal game was a weird game which Pogba gifted to them and frankly we should have beaten Chelsea. Man City can beat any side in the world on their day so not sure if I want to read too much into it.

Chelsea got criticised after their 3-1 of leaving it too open. If we defended set pieces better, we may have had a chance to win the game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How i'm looking at this is that Ole is trying to get to a checkpoint which is top 4 minimum this season. And to get to that checkpoint without losing his job is to approach games in a reactive manner especially against the bigger teams. And that benefits the likes of McTominay, Lindelof etc because we then end up sacrificing a big part of our attack for defensive stability which opens up attacking possibilities on the counter which has suited us and got us results. But this way of playing hasn't helped the likes of Axel Tuanzebe or VdB etc IMO because Ole is gonna trust the players that have shown they can maintain stability within a bubble. But i'm hoping to see VdB get games in a double pivot soon because he's shown he can play the role at a high level for Ajax and it might give us a chance to control games better due to the players superior ability on the ball compared to both McTominay and Fred. VdB is also IMO the best player we have at completing passes whilst under a press which he has shown at times at United and in the UCL for Ajax.

I honestly believe next season (with a preaseason) we will see a different United that plays a more expansive game with players who are comfortable playing outside of their comfort zones. Solskjaer has said he wants to play a more expansive game and his style of play was for all to see at Molde where he adopted a very aggressive high press at times which resulted in his team sacrificing defensive stability for goals. At United he's working towards that same game style but has to navigate his way through to the end of the season and survive the immense scruitiny he's under from the media and fans alike.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liverpool will be more vulnerable because their fullbacks push forward, so I imagine we can have more space to attack. City backline was super steady yesterday, just left all others to do the job, and we didn't do enough to draw defenders out.
Yeah whats up with that. City look to have a very good defence the bastards.

JuriM

://i.redd.it/yz254yx6dl961.png

Came up to this data and it's safe to say, are we too pragmatic in general? We should allow to get more players forward to avoid that low %.

binary bot
I blame the Spurs game. We played a very attacking lineup and it backfired, seems to have hit Ole's trust in certain players in the bigger games.

Lack of a crowd is a huge factor.

Paid no respect to Spurs then paid far too much to Chelsea and Arsenal.

wolvored

Fergie was also pragmatic. The big games tended to be low-scoring and often dull affairs. Particularly against Liverpool and City.

Also, 'pragmatic' does not equal 'defensive'. We weren't defensive yesterday, for instance. Being pragmatic just means that you set up the team and tactics according to your opponent, even if it means that you have to make a lot of changes. There's nothing wrong with that. All coaches have a pragmatic side, but some more than others. There's nothing wrong with pragmatism, imo. It's fun to watch relentlessly attacking and inflexible coaches like Bielsa, but I'd rather take a spoonful of pragmatism if it also meant that the results will improve.
I saw quite a few high scoring games against Liverpool and City especially City. I wish Ole would set up to our strengths instead of trying to adapt and failing against the bigger teams.

James Ward

I don't even think we are in the top 10 teams in Europe.

Not enough world class players. Your not going to win the league with players like Shaw, VL, Mctominay, Fred, VDB, Martial, Greenwood(he needs time), James, Mata, Cavani etc.

AndersB

High level the idea of the false 9 is to provide numerical advantage in possession through the midfield, create triangles in attacking areas & tactically it presents a dilemma for CBs with being pulled out of position. The latter part of this happens no matter what formation you play in your midfield but, by playing Fred/McT in a double pivot I feel the onus is way too defensive and cedes too much space to KDB/Gundogan. Pep used to play us with an inverted triangle with Fernandinho or Rodri as the sole DM, then two more advanced midfielders whereas the last two times he has played us, after Ole's great record against them last season, he went with a double pivot of his own in that awful 0-0 draw and last night used a false 9. On a very basic level, think of the strength of a double pivot and how it matches up to that traditional formation, it is a lot easier to mark players (you can have one CB pick up the No9 and one sit off) and track runners and is why Pep is usually reliant on attacking full backs to create overlaps/extra passing options as most teams go defensive and sit deep against him.

AWB-----Lindelof-----Maguire-----Shaw
Mahrez-------------- Aguero -------------Sterling
------------- Fred ------- McT--------------
---------------Foden --------------KDB ----------------
--------------------Bruno -------------------
------------------------ Fernandinho--------------------

I personally think, as evidenced by his tactics in the 0-0 draw, Pep knows our only threat is if he has his full backs bomb on and Martial/Rashford can run into that space and run at one of the CBs or we get lucky with a long ball/error. He can't really change the last point but he can mitigate the former. Therefore, if he's not letting Zinchenko & Cancelo both bomb on at will (Cancelo kept Pogba wide but he never really got that far forward, same with Zinchenko and Rashford) he needs to create an overload somewhere and that's what the false 9 did. They had a fluid front line but, again high level, this is how they created so much space in my opinion as Mahrez/Sterling would drop off and it basically meant our midfield ran itself into the ground having to try and cover the extra man and the absolute chasm of space that is between Bruno and the double pivot, there's a reason people kept saying McT and Fred were anonymous because they were just constantly trying to cover ground and shut down passing lanes. That formation contributed heavily to City looking so good last night because 1st half I think people would agree we were in the game, contesting the ball and doing well but that level of work rate for Fred/McT is unsustainable for 90mins.

Maybe a better way to phrase it would be that specifically playing Fred/McT as the double pivot was made redundant by them using a false nine because, that is to say two technically limited but combative CMs was an overly cautious decision from Ole in my mind. If Ole is set on using the double pivot, had that been Fred & VDB for example the balance might have been a lot better as I think VDB would have naturally drifted further forward and we would have retained possession more successfully, which is how you avoid getting too tired in these games. Just my opinion but that's the way I saw it last night - they just pinged it around their midfield using the extra man advantage and we tired out 2nd half, they were lucky with the set piece but generally had complete control of the game and bar one great block from Diaz we didn't really do that much at all in 90mins..
Wow, mate - thanks for this write up. Really interesting. Thumbs up!

Lentwood

Played 5
Won 0
Drew 2
Lost 3
Goals scored 1 (penalty)
Goals conceded 9

We have clearly tried to be more competitive in the big games, have more of the ball, more control and move the defensive line higher up the pitch. So far it’s not really worked out in terms of results.

wolvored

We are too pragmatic in most games. When Ole came in we played a good attacking game and since he got the job permanently he swapped to 2 holding midfielders. He plays this 90% of the time whether we play Liverpool or Sheffield. I wish he would buy a proper DM so we can get 2 CM/AM and 3 attackers on again. He can drop another DM in against the Liverpools/Cities if he is frightened to go toe to toe, but have the option to go more attacking against the rest.