Are We Wasting Wayne?

Plan M

For me, Rooney HAS to play off the striker. That is his position.

Playing him up-front on his own just wastes his ability.

We haven't got the players for the 4-3-3 so please Sir Alex, don't play it anymore. 4-4-2 or nothing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I disagree. He is usually fine in the role. IMO he just had a very bad second half. Vs Cheslea for example he gave Rooney loads of support but Rooney didn't trust him enough to give him the ball via cut backs. Which was understandable given his poor shooitng record.

We have still been excellent before in 4-3-3. Like at Stamford Bridge. On which day the problem was actually Giggs on the left. Who was out of sorts. Not Anderson down the middle.
Absolutely. We've pulled off some brilliant performances with Anderson in there in a 433, with him playing a vital role. However, our attacking play in those matches haven't been as good as when Giggs plays there. With the 433 we generally dominate the midfield, but our attacking play can be a little toothless, especially now without Ronaldo.

Giggs plays further up the field (which is why I call it a 4231 as he plays closer to the striker than the midfield), and those matches have generally seen us combine the best of both worlds - the midfield domination of 433, and the attacking thrust of a 442.

I have high hopes of Anderson stepping up to the plate and bringing that greater attacking threat (not so much scoring goals himself, but using his pace, power and ambitious passing to cause problems for the defence), but to do so he needs to play that bit further up the field.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Absolutely. We've pulled off some brilliant performances with Anderson in there in a 433, with him playing a vital role. However, our attacking play in those matches haven't been as good as when Giggs plays there. With the 433 we generally dominate the midfield, but our attacking play can be a little toothless, especially now without Ronaldo.

Giggs plays further up the field (which is why I call it a 4231 as he plays closer to the striker than the midfield), and those matches have generally seen us combine the best of both worlds - the midfield domination of 433, and the attacking thrust of a 442.

I have high hopes of Anderson stepping up to the plate and bringing that greater attacking threat (not so much scoring goals himself, but using his pace, power and ambitious passing to cause problems for the defence), but to do so he needs to play that bit further up the field.
I agree.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
For me, Rooney HAS to play off the striker. That is his position.

Playing him up-front on his own just wastes his ability.

We haven't got the players for the 4-3-3 so please Sir Alex, don't play it anymore. 4-4-2 or nothing.
The fact that Sir Alex doesn't seem to see this and insist on playing him alone is worrying. More so the fact that he sees Owen and Rooney as fighting for the same position. The great man is simply wrong.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its very depressing watching 8 minutes of a match go by without Rooney touching the ball. It happens all the time. Then when he does gets it, he almosts always does something useful with it.

It simply can't go on. Not only because it seems so blindingly obvious to practically everyone, but also because I fear we may lose him one day. Treat him right, and he'll finish his career with us. Lose him, and we're in big trouble.

Bape

Quote from Michael Owen on Wayne a while ago..

"I spoke to Wayne after the Wales match and he was very happy. He felt he could run everywhere and that he could float free. He's such a good player but I'm not sure that will be his position in every game. Wayne is not a player for chasing over the top. He likes to touch the ball and play people in and shoot from long range. The balance is very good with Wayne who likes to play in behind. I can drop off and develop the game but I get excited when I'm playing furthest forward. That's when I feel I can do the most damage. Wayne is the opposite. He prefers to drop and link up play, getting touches and strikes at goal and setting goals up. We dovetail quite well and I'm excited about playing with him for England. But I don't think if we were playing Italy or Germany away we'd have three up."
Nothing has changed since then. Yes, Rooney is a better centre forward now than he was back then, but still not the player he is when he's played behind. If Berbatov is injured for 3 months, let's try and give some consistency to the Rooney/Owen partnership.

DanY2J

I fail to see how Sir Alex thinks Owen and Rooney are too similar? They are so differant its untrue, one likes to play on the shoudler of the last man and the other is a footballing creative genius. Look at the ball he played through to Berba on saturday.

Another thing i disagree with about Sir Alex is they cant play together? I thought in the time they were both on the pitch they linked very well? The one two at the edge of the box was fantastic front play.