Are we...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
...on the cusp of being a very good team, or a bunch of nearly man who crumble at the first sign of pressure?

I’m still immensely frustrated at the Everton result, but some of our football outside of the defensive collapses was outstanding.

I personally think Ole is building something here, and don’t be surprised if he acts ruthlessly in post/pre season when it comes to sorting the back line out.

This team reminds me of United in 05/06 – albeit from a lower starting base – or Liverpool pre-VVD/Alisson.

Football discourse is full of woolly analysis these days, but it’s abundantly simple really – if we get a commanding keeper and centre half then we will be a team that challenges for the big honours.

If we don’t, then we will remain a pretty entertaining side which wins nowt.

I think, despite some growing pains, Ole is doing a good job.

Lentwood

We are on the cusp of being a very good team

We need a new GK and genuine competition for Rashford and I think we could launch a proper title challenge

Throw in a world-class CB to partner Maguire and I think we're a very, very good side

Basically, we're Liverpool before they signed Alisson and van Dijk

bsCallout

Definitely improving and we have clear weaknesses in the team that get exposed, the challenge is finding the right players to fill those holes and take us to the next level. Our players are improving but some just aren't good enough.

Unfortunately we need a new spine.

GK, CB, CDM.

Arsenal never sorted theirs, hopefully we do.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We're on the cusp, so many similarities between us and Liverpool before they signed Alisson, VVD and Fabinho. Whether we get those missing players is another matter though

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We’re already a good team but to win titles we’re missing a few key signings.

The right summer window and we’ll have a really quality squad.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
...on the cusp of being a very good team, or a bunch of nearly man who crumble at the first sign of pressure?

I’m still immensely frustrated at the Everton result, but some of our football outside of the defensive collapses was outstanding.

I personally think Ole is building something here, and don’t be surprised if he acts ruthlessly in post/pre season when it comes to sorting the back line out.

This team reminds me of United in 05/06 – albeit from a lower starting base – or Liverpool pre-VVD/Alisson.

Football discourse is full of woolly analysis these days, but it’s abundantly simple really – if we get a commanding keeper and centre half then we will be a team that challenges for the big honours.

If we don’t, then we will remain a pretty entertaining side which wins nowt.

I think, despite some growing pains, Ole is doing a good job.
Average age of the squad is extremely young. As pissed as I was about the result last night, big picture is looking promising. The next 2 summer windows are massive though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We're on the cusp, so many similarities between us and Liverpool before they signed Alisson, VVD and Fabinho. Whether we get those missing players is another matter though
I’d agree somewhat with this. We very much feel on the cusp of something we’ve all seen the impact Bruno had we need a sprinkle of that.

Rockets Redglare

I don’t think we crumbled under pressure yesterday, I just think we have serious deficiencies at the back and unfortunately out goalkeeper has regressed from being the best in the world to bang average.

With a few smart transfers and strengthening we can challenge for the title over the next few seasons.

Judas

Open to offers
Overall I'm happy with where we're going. It's blatantly obvious the areas that need fixing, and hopefully Ole gets the funds and the players he wants. The future could be very bright for us, but it hangs in the balance of what we're able to do in the transfer market.

slored1

We are. It's not only about the personnel, but more about the overall mentality. We're not ruthless enough in the defining matches, so many times in the last two seasons where we just throw it away near the end or not capitalize when needed.

If the players start to finish the teams off (Rashford yesterday, Martial vs PSG, Cavani vs Arsenal, Pogba vs Liverpool) we become a much more frightening prospect to face. It's just the fine margins we need to fix and we'll be on top again.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It’s pleasing to see so many in agreement – on the cusp.

My major concern is that while the transfer priorities are clear, I do wonder whether we will see Covid and related loss of revenue cited as a reason for not doing the business we need.

Judas

Open to offers

My major concern is that while the transfer priorities are clear, I do wonder whether we will see Covid and related loss of revenue cited as a reason for not doing the business we need.
Unfortunately its a ready made excuse, albeit probably a fair one, for us not to do the business we must do to make the next step.

Spark

We’ve definitely come a long way from consistently playing shit and blagging a result, with the occasional good performance. I think it’s fair to say that we tend to play well most of the time, with the occasional shite performance.

However, we still have a severe frailty that means we never close out games simply enough. Brain dead decision making, like Wan-Bissaka going for a killer attacking pass last night in the 92nd minute, only to immediately give possession away leading to the newly subbed on Tuanzebe committing a stupid foul, absolutely sums up where we are at the moment. (Can’t bring myself to rewatch the Everton goal, but convinced it was a DCL handball, not that it matters).

Game management is the next priority and I think it’s an equal part young inexperienced team and young inexperienced manager. Ole has clearly done well this season overall, but he really needs to improve his own decision making sharpish if we’re ever going to crack on and properly compete for titles.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
On the cusp for sure. We've improved every year and I think we've managed to slowly but surely whittle the squad down to nearly the essentials plus youth.

gajender

We need a new GK and genuine competition for Rashford and I think we could launch a proper title challenge

Throw in a world-class CB to partner Maguire and I think we're a very, very good side

This team need our version of Fabinho as well before we can genuinely think about challenging and if Pogba goes another top class Midfield addition as well because our Midfielders are functional at best .

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bit of both. This is the best we've been post Fergie. But the mentality of this team is worryingly soft. Too many blundered semi finals. And the CL this year, after making PSG and Leipzig look ordinary and looked certain to top the group, we pissed it up the wall. Those last two games, we needed 1pt from a possible 6 and we got none.

Then it seemed like we snuck into top spot, and as soon as we were there we started to crumble.

In the context of this season, with a fairly poor Liverpool, and City looking good but not great, this team is capable of competing, but we don't seem to handle the pressure at all.

siw2007

Definitely on the cusp of being a very good team, whether we usurp Liverpool and City is another matter, but our football and results are getting better.

There is still some way to go, we need to strengthen the core of our team as we still have a soft under belly. So that means a new central defender and a dominant midfielder, I would say a new GK but we can’t solve everything in one window and I think we will give Dean the chance to grow into the role.

I have never really bought into ‘bottling’ as a reason we don’t win all the time. Lack of quality, yes, lack of experience, yes but rarely do I see players genuinely crap themselves in the face of adversity. Though I do think in order to go the extra mile, we do need to become more battle hardened and ruthless.

Judas

Open to offers
For the long term health of this team, we desperately need to win a trophy. I just think its so important we get over the finishing line in a competition.

mav_9me

Unfortunately its a ready made excuse, albeit probably a fair one, for us not to do the business we must do to make the next step.
Tbf the way I see it we can't buy all the players I think we need. Most would agree we need a

GK (hopefully Henderson can be that)
CB
DM
RW (hopefully Diallo is that)
Striker.

We can get away with it if buy a CB and a striker and have an exceptional coach.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Too many players with soft underbellies. Type of who won’t fundamentally change any time soon. We eradicate those types from the team, we’ll progress a bit further and stop losing every semi-final ever and stop dropping silly points.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The fact that we have such a young squad and a lot of resources tells you it's not unreasonable to think it's more likely the former.

Like a lot of said (including OP) we do resemble Liverpool pre VVD/Alisson/Fabinho.

Remember when Liverpool lost the Europa League final, the Champions League final?

Once this team takes that last step and wins something, the players will kick on and winning trophies will become a habit.

Last night was fecking annoying, but we're not far off.

Roboc7

Maybe, but the difficult part is going from being a top four team that plays well in patches to being a very good team

Finding those 2, 3 or 4 players that take you to next level is what every team will be saying this summer. We’re not going to benefit from a top class manager and coaching like Liverpool did (combined with good recruitment), we need the players. Is there the funds or desire to address that in just one window?

There are also issues with Ole’s passive game management and the mentality of the players that need to improve.

Tarrou

we're getting there I think

there are lots of peaks and troughs but overall we're improving over time

I'm enjoying it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
On the cusp, it’s clear we’ve improved the team and squad over the last two years or atleast Ole has them playing better which has the squad looking better overall, shaw for example.
I feel Ole has got us back within touching distance instead of being miles away, the team looks strong and together it’s just missing that one player of force, like we need the Bruno equivalent at the back, someone to give confidence to those around him and inspire steadiness.
I’m gutted with our centrebacks, they do a job but I’ve never been sold on any of them, it’s the area I think we need to seriously improve most as it’s vital to the overall team.

overall feeling of excitement more than dread these days

Bobski

I think it is more sustainable that when LVG and Mou had their decent moments, there are a lot of good players in the squad, but there is a bit of Spurs about us, mentally not ready when it really matters.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Cavani is almost 34. It’s back to square one if we don’t have someone lined up for the future. Had we a good defender this season such as Dias instead of Van de Beek we really would have had an incredible chance. Our transfers are so hit and miss and it’s harder for us because we’re playing catch up with City and Liverpool who can afford to make more mistakes in the market due to already having the core of strong squads. We need to get every move right if we plan to compete.

Signing a CB should be doable and the easiest move but De Gea is an issue and our midfield isn’t all that. This can all be fixed but all depends if Woodward and Glazers have the appetite. The wide forwards need more pressure too.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
————————New GK—————-
New RB—New CB-New CB-Shaw
————————New DM—————
—————-Scotty—————Bruno——
New RW———————————New LW
————————New CF———————

We’re almost there.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Money need to be spent on the first 11.
We have good enough reserve now, time to improve the first eleven's key areas ie GK,CB,CM and a RW/FW.
Personally, I think we'll stand still again in the market and concentrate on signing kids.

Renegade

Without the coach.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't feel like we're on the cusp to be honest. I think we tend to progress in some ways and regress/stand still in others. We have some very good players so we have the quality to get results and go on a decent run or two, however the I don't see it from the collective.

Feels more like Mourinho's 2nd place (I think we got many more points that season) than us genuinely headed towards greatness.

————————New GK—————-
New RB—New CB-New CB-Shaw
————————New DM—————
—————-Scotty—————Bruno——
New RW———————————New LW
————————New CF———————

We’re almost there.
:lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They got to a champions league final without those 2 & had a proven top class manager. Their position was much more enviable than ours.

We’re a good team with a terrible mentality. When ever we look like doing something serious we bottle it. 4 semi finals all lost with a whimper, 1 point needed from 2 games to advance in the CL bottled. First title race in 8 years, lose to Sheff United & throw away a 2 goal lead against Everton. There’s a mental block, it’s like we’re terrified to be a top club again. We also have a manager with some of the worst in game management I’ve seen. How can all the fans see something that he can’t so often?

We’re Spurs under Harry Redknapp. Good team, great team at times, not a serious threat though.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
On the cusp, but it's not guaranteed that we'll get over it.

We need a new keeper, CB and midfielder that can help control games, but we need Ole to become better at in-game management IMO.

Banana Republic

It's not bottling it, or not handling the pressure, it's having too many frail and physically weak players and a lack of drive and aggression in both attack and when the opposition are in possession of the ball.
Even when our players do effectively press or try to regain possession, watch how many times many of them fail, are clumsy or just get brushed aside.
How many times do you see one of our players win a ball and immediately lose possession?

Notice how much effort and high energy Cavani and Bruno put into the high press yesterday against Everton.
They were at it until almost the end, running themselves into the ground to try and break up Everton's attempts to work the ball forward and get some rhythm going, but they were alone.
Contrast that with an almost complete failure of Rashford and Greenwood to put enough, or even any effort in for most of the match.
Also Fred and Bruno, for all their hard work and energy in trying to stop opponents, just get bounced off 70% of the time, when put under direct physical pressure.

We played some excellent football yesterday, only lacking when it came to penetrating the box and creating better chances (same old problem).
We had Everton on the ropes at 2-0, but as soon as we slackened off and allowed Everton to regroup from the back and in midfield, we had difficulty stopping them getting straight at our frail defence. They just bypassed McFred and were on our back 4 in a flash.
That's where the wide players should have been busting a gut to help out, but they went missing as they do in almost every game.
It's that physical and mental weakness that'll prevent this current team from ever being able to sustain any challenge for the league, or a European trophy.
Too many mentally and physically lightweight players, no matter how technically gifted they are, or how often they flatter to deceive.
Just swapping out the CB's for other squad players or new CB signings won't fix that problem.

RUCK4444

This. Especially DM and a top CB.

Get those players we need and we would really challenge. Which in itself is major feat considering where we were, one of the reasons I back Ole as much as I do.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are 2-3 players away. Play Henderson, add another CB, maybe deep lying midfielder and definitely another winger (unless we can play Diablo there next year) and we will get there. We will need another striker when Cavani is gone but for next 1.5 years he should be playing.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Depends. I hope Ole sees the positives from yesterdays peformance and doesn't revert back to the defensive crap we've witnessed in a lot of games previously. There is so much to build from yesterdays performance. I'd take that game 100 times over some of our shitty wins to be completely honest.

freeurmind

weak willed
No. We still need 2 CBs, a backup rightback, a better quality DM, another CM if Pogba leaves, a RW and a proper number 9 since Cavani isn't a long-term solution given his age. We're probably another 2 years away at least from challenging in Europe.