Are you optimistic about the new season?

Cloud7

The fans of those clubs are just like us. Sometimes excited, sometimes apprehensive or ambivalent depending how many reasons for optimism there were over the course of the previous season. The only difference is that their expectations are different. If they're feeling pessimistic they'll worry about relegation, while pessimistic United fans worry about falling out of the top four.

I'm definitely in the ambivalent camp because:

a) I didn't enjoy watching us for most of the latter half of the season
b) Liverpool (fecking Liverpool) looked fantastic at times last season and have done what looks like excellent business already
c) Our manager is a sour prick who could suck the joy out of a bouncy castle and has a worryingly recent record of catastrophic failure.

All of which means I'm absolutely struggling to feel up-beat about 2018/19 right now. Obviously, hope springs eternal, and if we win our first few games then I'll go all in on the inevitable giddiness that we'll see on here. Meanwhile, colour me not excited. Not even close.

I couldn't care less about who we do/don't sign either. You'd have to have been living under a rock to fail to notice the - in the recent history of Manchester United - there's been a glaring disconnect between money spent and performances on the pitch. Remember how hyped we all were when we signed Di Maria, Falcao and Pobga?
This is pretty much how I feel to be honest. Completely neutral. I’ll be glad when it does start because it’s United again, and there’s no way I would not be glad to see my team again, but at the same time, I expect to quickly be reminded of why last season was such a boring slog, and I’m expecting more of the same this season.

I would be lying if I said this World Cup hasn’t been a very pleasant break from last season, and a reminder that football actually can entertain you.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It will be interesting see if Carrick as a coach will have an influence on our style of play but apart from that i do not expect us to win anything with this team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It'll be the best squad we've had for years but because City are significantly better it's difficult to get excited about it. Put this team in the 14-16 PL period i'd be optimistic.

Kag

Nah.

We'll finish top four, limp out the Champions League, perhaps win a domestic cup and play relentlessly dull football. Mourinho will fall out with somebody and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves come the end of it. Oh, and ship out the deadwood already (Replace Fred!) - v. 2019.

Minimalist

The fans of those clubs are just like us. Sometimes excited, sometimes apprehensive or ambivalent depending how many reasons for optimism there were over the course of the previous season. The only difference is that their expectations are different. If they're feeling pessimistic they'll worry about relegation, while pessimistic United fans worry about falling out of the top four.

b) Liverpool (fecking Liverpool) looked fantastic at times last season and have done what looks like excellent business already
c) Our manager is a sour prick who could suck the joy out of a bouncy castle and has a worryingly recent record of catastrophic failure.

All of which means I'm absolutely struggling to feel up-beat about 2018/19 right now. Obviously, hope springs eternal, and if we win our first few games then I'll go all in on the inevitable giddiness that we'll see on here. Meanwhile, colour me not excited. Not even close.

I couldn't care less about who we do/don't sign either. You'd have to have been living under a rock to fail to notice the - in the recent history of Manchester United - there's been a glaring disconnect between money spent and performances on the pitch. Remember how hyped we all were when we signed Di Maria, Falcao and Pobga?
Yup. Sign me up to this club.

wolvored

im nonplussed as I am hoping the new management setup behind Mourinho will influence him to change his ideas, but think hes too full of self importance to change much. I dont think we will win the league or finish 2nd again, unless were going to sign a couple of wc players were going to be further behind city than before. When we are re-signing Fellaini and a 3rd choice goalie from Stoke, it doesnt bode well.

marktan

Not yet. Need a top right winger and ideally a left back. If we get the winger in I'll be optimistic, but currently A. Sanchez and Lingard as our wing options is nowhere near good enough.

slir32

We need Sandro and Willian or Bale then we will compete next season.

Inter Yer Nan

I am cautiously optimistic. I will feel better if we address the areas where we really need improvement though but it's early days in the market and I think we'll have a solid plan.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
This is pretty much how I feel to be honest. Completely neutral. I’ll be glad when it does start because it’s United again, and there’s no way I would not be glad to see my team again, but at the same time, I expect to quickly be reminded of why last season was such a boring slog, and I’m expecting more of the same this season.

I would be lying if I said this World Cup hasn’t been a very pleasant break from last season, and a reminder that football actually can entertain you.
I agree with this. Almost regardless of who we sign the gap seems too big and I think that comes down to the way we play and the in balance in our squad.

I don't see us as cohesive and the end of last season was terrible.

Fred and Dalot will barely make a difference. We have no right wing, we lack dynamism in attacking positions even though Sanchez, Martial and Rashford should be able to create that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If we don't actually attempt to solve our issues I won't even put the effort into watching every game. It's not worth the time. If we do look like we're solving them, I'll be enthusiastic about it all.

gron84

If we don't actually attempt to solve our issues I won't even put the effort into watching every game. It's not worth the time. If we do look like we're solving them, I'll be enthusiastic about it all.
disagree I’ll be supporting my club no water what! I’m always enthusiastic about every season cmon you Red Devils!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

This. Been a very nice break from the constant frustration/boredom/complaining about the same stuff every day. Actually just enjoying football. When it gets like that for your club, I think that just says your club isnt going in the right direction.

Cloud7

This. Been a very nice break from the constant frustration/boredom/complaining about the same stuff every day. Actually just enjoying football. When it gets like that for your club, I think that just says your club isnt going in the right direction.
Inb4 the inevitable reply that the problem is actually you and not the club :lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder does Jose actually get pressure from the bosses to play better football given the investment, what are their minimum expectations of him next season? What’s the clubs plan if it doesn’t work out with Jose?

I’m on the fence about the coming season. I’ve been pro José but I’m now I’m sick of the football, the crap man managment and the lack of meaningful improvement in most of our players. I do believe he’s going to leave behind a better squad than he inherited though, we can take some relief in that. He’s certainly buying better than lvg or Moyes. If Jose leaves the new manager should be able to step in and do pretty well with our squad (if we sort out WBs and RW this summer) and adds a signing or two of his own.... I still feel like the club is slowly moving in the right direction but it’s been a long and boring transition. The scouting and coaching appointments have been upgrades and we seem to be even more aggressive than before in the youth market. The club is healthier than it has been for years. The league table shows that.

I agree with Pogue about Liverpool. They play great stuff and have bought well. They have a really good manager who’s getting a load of cash to spend and he’s spending it well the last few seasons. He’s arguably got a lot more value out of the transfer market and has a much happier squad going into the new season than Jose. Minus Craic unless you’re a Liverpool fan.

I really don’t think signing superstars is going to bring us back to the top. We need the RIGHT players and we need a much better attacking setup. We also need our big ego players (looking at you Pogba) to finally deliver over a full season because they’ve only really flattered to deceive so far.

Devil may care

No, I usually enjoy the summer transfer window stuff but this summer I just don't care, I'd be happy enough if we don't sign another player as I don't see it making any difference as long as Mourinho is manager and he'll only lumber us with someone like Willian or an aging CB on massive wages we wont be able to shift once he's gone, the only bit of business that bothers me is the Fellaini contract.

I expect more of the same, the season might start with a few lively performances like it has the last couple of seasons, but as soon as we hit a setback or face a good team Mourinho will do what he always does and the negativity will set in, he'll start chipping away at the players he doesn't like, confidence will dip and it'll be a repeat of the previous season.

Kidders

I am, but then again I always am ! However the level of optimism will depend on our transfer activity, I agree with the concept of 6 new players, we have two, but I challenge anyone to say with any degree of certainty they will be successful, so assuming we do buy in 4 more, I would like to think they carry a higher level of expectation.
There are no issues with the goalkeeping situation in fact I can't remember a time when we had so much talent at the club, our defence is in need of a shake up, we need a leader at CB, someone to organise and take responsibility, the fullbacks are a concern, i am in the camp that says Luke Shaw still has a chance but boy he needs to work hard, Valencia works his nuts off for the team, but simply fails to penetrate enough, I don't know anything about Dalot but i hope we have scouted a diamond and only time will tell.
The midfield is the real challenge, Matic simply has to play because no-one can replace him, Pogba has to play because we know his potential and we have invested so much on him, is Fred the missing piece ? I don't know, but I would say we need another CM to challenge for a starting place, in attack Sanchez will benefit from not going to the World Cup and hopefully enjoying a pre-season with team mates that understand his style, we need a resolution with Martial, we can't afford a player stinking the place out because he wants to leave, personally I would use him, and use him often, if Jose says different then he needs to leave (Martial) Lukaku is the focal point of the team and that won't change, however we do need a goal threat and better supply from the right so that in my opinion is our priority.

I would consider buying Marhez or Willian to play on the RW, and trust the rest to Jose, that said he has'nt endeared himself by offering Fellaini a contract, I just hope that it is not with a quarantee of playing time because if I were say Lingaard, Herrera, Mata, Rashford even McTomminay and got benched for him I would be throughly p.....d off.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

You generally have realistic expectations. My comment was more relevant to those that expect the world delivered to them on a plate and scream for the manager and players to be out if it doesn't happen.

Also, our signings under Mourinho have been considerably better than LVG and Moyes. It is no longer about a complete rebuild like with LVG in 15/16. I also find it ludicrous to put Pogba in the same breath as Di Maria and Falcao, Pogba has put in many fantastic performances for us which can't be said for the other 2 (of course he has also been horrible in games which is why he isn't an amazing success). We have a set of good players, that with a cherry on top can become a top team (hopefully that's 2 cherries at LB and RW).

There is a feeling that if things click this team can do something good because some really good players are not performing up to their expected level (Pogba and Sanchez). We were obviously not the smoothest of operations at the end of 17/18. The manager will probably leave in 1-2 seasons, but we will have some quality players in our ranks.

NoLogo

Very well put and pretty much exactly my feelings.

The hardest part for me will be to not get pissed at Mou again when the inevitable blaming and moaning starts. It's damn hard to be optimistic or excited about a new season if you despise the man in charge of your favorite club but feck it, this is going to be the last time I have a moan about him and just hope for the best this season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
At the moment — not really, but I'll wait until September. Fellaini news are a punch in the gut

Trizy

Not optimistic at all. Here's my reasons why:

1. The players looked like they didn't give two shits towards the end of the season.
2. We need a brilliant RW, LB, RB, CB, CM. So far we signed Fred (know nothing about him) and Dalot (At 19, I doubt he'll start). Underwhelming so far.
3. Jose's 3rd season meltdown is a possibility.
4. City looked unstoppable last year. With new additions, they will probably be in or around the same points total.
5. We might be losing Martial, our most talented player.
6. Fellaini staying means no new CM. He's shite.
7. Sanchez - If he's 6 months here is anything to go by, he will not recapture his form and is in a Rooney level of decline.

I can't see past defensive hoof ball tbh.

Von Mistelroum

I'm not optimistic, but I rarely am if I'm honest. I just don't see us drastically improving. I think we'll fight for and hopefully get 4th. Maybe get to a cup final too but the style and inconsistency will keep it from being enjoyable.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Dunno why Fellaini signing a new deal is pissing on so many peoples chips. He’s one of very few players in our squad that Mourinho has been able to get a tune out of.
That's the thing. Our manager should focus on getting the tune out of other more talented players. Not someone who doesn't really help us for the role he was signed.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We will make plenty more transfers but it’s the deadwood that’s knocking around. Garbage like Fellaini getting a new contract just tells me that Jose is happy with the shit on show last season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just having that 'meh' feeling. New signings don't excite me anymore because of the tumescent football which we will continue to serve. We have showed no signs of improving our gameplay.

Our potential targets don't really look like they will raise the bar. I just don't have any expectations.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
disagree I’ll be supporting my club no water what! I’m always enthusiastic about every season cmon you Red Devils!
If you can enjoy it then all credit to you.
I look at it logically and see it's not necessarily always worth my time anymore (that is if it's the same). Not because of not winning big trophies or anything, but if I'm devoting a lot of time to something and organising other things around it I want to feel a) entertained and b) like the club aligns with what I want from it, which it always used to.

I've already stopped going to OT. I don't want to pay a decent wedge of money to sit there bored and cold.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's the thing. Our manager should focus on getting the tune out of other more talented players. Not someone who doesn't really help us for the role he was signed.
He should focus on getting a tune out of all of our players.

Still no reason to throw the toys out of the pram when one player who has consistently played well under Mourinho signs a new contract. So long as Mourinho is in charge then the more players in our squad who perform for him the better.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not looking forward to it one bit

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Dunno why Fellaini signing a new deal is pissing on so many peoples chips. He’s one of very few players in our squad that Mourinho has been able to get a tune out of.
From being seen as the most glaring example of Moyes' ineptitude at the highest level to becoming synonymous with Mourinho's hoofball and reactive tactics... the guy can't really catch a break now, can he? It makes you wonder if other fanbases discuss about their peripheral players so much and if they put so much focus on them just to prove nonexistent points. As if taking the best out of Fellaini (basically to accommodate Pogba further up the pitch) somehow proves that Mourinho hates flair players up front (and subsequently the reason why Martial is with one step out of the club). Go figure...

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I have no problems with Fellaini signing a new contract. He shouldn't be a starter, but he isn't. He is a squad player who can come on and make a difference at key points.

I'm not optimistic about the season though. I think we still need to do some more business in the transfer window. Young has been okay as LB, but those first two England matches summed up why we need to buy a new one. Young played as he typically does, nothing special, but nothing horrendous, and a few dangerous crosses that could have led to at least one goal.
On the other side of the pitch you had Trippier actually making a difference. That's what a good fullback can bring to the team, and that's what we need, among other things.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
From being seen as the most glaring example of Moyes' ineptitude at the highest level to becoming synonymous with Mourinho's hoofball and reactive tactics... the guy can't really catch a break now, can he? It makes you wonder if other fanbases discuss about their peripheral players so much and if they put so much focus on them just to prove nonexistent points. As if taking the best out of Fellaini (basically to accommodate Pogba further up the pitch) somehow proves that Mourinho hates flair players up front (and subsequently the reason why Martial is with one step out of the club). Go figure...
That's another reason why I'm struggling to see how people can't see the value in Fellaini. Pogba blew hot and cold a lot last season but most of his best moments came when Fellaini was on the pitch. The best football we played all season long was in those run of four nils, where the vast majority of goals came in the closing periods when Fellaini had come on off the bench and Pogba started strutting his stuff.

Alabaster Codify7

Not really, no.
Our biggest problem last season was dreadful football, poor creativity and low goal-scoring.

Fred and Dalot are going to do nothing whatsoever to fix any of those problems.

Our first-choice full-backs are still 30+yr old wingers who are going to be another year older, another year slower.

Our supposed game-changers (Pogba, Sanchez) failed to change many games at all last season, I have little optimism that this will improve drastically next season.

I'm not seeing anything in this starting 11 that can break through parked buses, same as last season.

I also don't see us making many, if any, new signings during the 3wks after the World Cup.

The same dross like Darmian, Blind, Shaw are still around because nobody wants them.

So no, gun to head:

Finish 3rd.
Semi-finals of a domestic cup.
First KO stages of CL.
Jose parts ways relatively amicably in the summer of 2019.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not really. I’ll take it how it comes.

I think we’ll end up with a similar season as this just past - a top 4 finish and maybe far in a cup, but one without much to being excited about.

Either that, or I reckon Mourinho will walk at some point in the year.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
No, if I'm honest. And usually, I'm trying to be on the optimistic side.

Strangely, felt much more optimistic heading into this last season from 6th place, than now.