Argentina cancel friendly in Jerusalem

RedDevil@84

The question is why they ever agreed to it in the first place
Never thought about it from a political angle, but kinda freaked out after the reaction to playing in Jerusalem, as the day neared. Felt it was an unnecessary distraction, controversy ahead of an all important WC.

why the Israelis are freaking out about it with the daft comments about 1972
Some of them at least wanted to use the occasion for show off on their latest political claims. Were all geared up for it and are freaking out when they didn't have their way.

I am guessing the common fan dont care a fook about it, unless one has a deep opinion about Israel-Palestine conflicts

fellaini's barber

I personally feel if it was anything political they wouldn't want to play Israel anywhere in the first place, the venue shift to Jerusalem caused too much drama they felt they didn't need so good on them

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Indeed.

Political grandstanding aside - I can imagine the security risks that come with playing in Jerusalem given recent events inspired by our glorious orange leader probably are not the kind of risk any footie team would wish to chance right now.

Oscie

Understandable wanting to condemn the Israeli government but they've committed atrocities for years. Bit of a douche thing to do to agree to play a friendly and then pull out, as if they've just googled Israel the other day and realised their track record.

Cloud7

Understandable wanting to condemn the Israeli government but they've committed atrocities for years. Bit of a douche thing to do to agree to play a friendly and then pull out, as if they've just googled Israel the other day and realised their track record.
If you have this kind of mentality then nothing will ever change. I’m not saying Argentina had any kind of noble intentions whatsoever with this, this is simply addressing the bigger point that people keep mentioning about this going on for a long time. Surely you can look at this and think well yeah they’ve committed atrocities for years, but maybe the time has come to say enough is enough. Surely it is possible to change your mind on something. Your stance ten years ago does not have to be your same stance now.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Sounds like there's an even amount of blame to be shared on both sides of this and the Argies were quite right to back out if any of their players were receiving threats. The question is why they ever agreed to it in the first place and why the Israelis are freaking out about it with the daft comments about 1972.
Money. The Israelis paid millions to get the Giro D'Italia to start there, the Argentine football association were probably due a hefty appearance fee