Argentina cancel friendly in Jerusalem

GazTheLegend

Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Especially so considering the AMIA bombing in 1994!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
rofl Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Surely that can be levied at any nation about being corrupt. If we only allowed the nations who weren't corrupt to take the moral high ground, we are in a bad place.

Good on them I say.

GazTheLegend

Which doesn't necessarily mean it's not the right thing to do, right?
It’s a football match.

If we’re going to allow political morality to determine what sports should be played where, then the World Cup in Russia should be cancelled with immediate effect.

ClosetDevil

Kinda understand where they're coming from. Still, dangerous times when politics outside of football spill over to decisions like this.

Reminds me of the whole West Germany issues during the periods around the previous World Wars.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Moral high ground? There are death threats against the players, especially Messi. I don't see how the most logical answer is not to cancel a pointless friendly.

It doesn't sound like they're trying to make a statement, and I don't believe as a football team they really should be getting involved there. It sounds more like they're getting too many threats against the players and they can't be sure of their safety.

GazTheLegend

*Surely that can be levied at any nation about being corrupt.* If we only allowed the nations who weren't corrupt to take the moral high ground, we are in a bad place.

Good on them I say.
EXACTLY my point though.

You could cancel any football match against any country for any reason. Football shouldn’t be used to make statements.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The match should have been played in another part of Israel. I cannot knock the decision tbh. I sure some will bring anti-Semitism into this.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It’s a football match.

If we’re going to allow political morality to determine what sports should be played where, then the World Cup in Russia should be cancelled with immediate effect.
Agree with this.

In four years time a World Cup will be played in stadiums built by slaves according to many reports.

Whatever you think about the Israeli government’s policies, if you boycott playing Israel then how can you justify playing in arenas built by slaves? 4,000 of whom have allegedly died building grounds for Qatar 2022.

Once you start bringing outside stuff into football it shines a light on the whole lot of us, and we don’t look good under the spotlight.

Zlatattack

Agree with this.

In four years time a World Cup will be played in stadiums built by slaves according to many reports.

Whatever you think about the Israeli government’s policies, if you boycott playing Israel then how can you justify playing in arenas built by slaves? 4,000 of whom have allegedly died building grounds for Qatar 2022.

Once you start bringing outside stuff into football it shines a light on the whole lot of us, and we don’t look good under the spotlight.
Don't play in those stadiums either. Life is more than just football.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
rofl Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Which country isn't? Also it isn't a moral high ground, its about player safety

Nick7

It’s a football match.

Sure, cancel Qatar world cup too. That'd be great.

Cassidy

It doesn't sound like they're trying to make a statement, and I don't believe as a football team they really should be getting involved there. It sounds more like they're getting too many threats against the players and they can't be sure of their safety.
Pretty much, not sure what is so outrageous about that

Cassidy

It’s a football match.

So they should play the match and risk the safety of their players? Just so not to look like they are making a political decision?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

We don't know why they cancelled the game though do we ? A bit fast with the conclusions ? Besides whatever in 1994 has nothing to do with this anyway.

Terry Apogee

First of all it's Al Jazeera - an Arabic Muslim TV station. This is anti Israel propaganda. Second, Jerusalem is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world to be right now, Jews and Muslims live side by side and they are in a de facto state of war. Anything could happen. Also if anything happened to the Argentinian national side it would be an international embarrassment for Israel, something the Palestinians would relish. Finally, in typical Arabic Muslim fashion their ambassador claims Jerusalem is 'occupied territory' when it has changed hands between Otterman Muslims and Christians throughout the centuries. No side has a rightful claim to it.

Could have been a pro

Interesting that the BBC has omitted the fact that pro-palestinian groups threatened the life of Messi and his family. The BBC prefer to paint this as some sort of moral decision. So typical of the fake news outlet. Other players were threatened and the palestinains also threatened to use their Arab and Islamic allies (a 56 nation bloc) to scupper Argentina's world cup host bid in 2030.

Don't play in those stadiums either. Life is more than just football.
Personally I agree with you. However, I'd be shocked if Qatar 2022 doesn't go ahead. Plus if Argentina qualifies they'll be there playing in the slave built stadiums, just like England and everyone else. That's what I'm getting at. Is anyone going to score in Russia and then reveal a message of solidarity for Ukraine on their vest? Of course not.

So many football nations and clubs have played in dictator run countries that s-t on human rights for coin. Football has actually made an art of looking the other way on human rights for money.

If Argentina's move is the start of a moral policy I'll eat my words. If its just some hollow headline grabbing then what's the point?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Argentina been training in Barcelona last week, surely you could've just played them somewhere in Spain or another part of europe?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
According to Haaretz "The match was originally slated to be played in Haifa but Israeli authorities contributed funding for it to be moved to Jerusalem." So seems like the Israelis may have politicised this initially although international matches have been played in Jerusalem before, and the stadium is located firmly in West Jerusalem. Probably the symbol of Messi arriving just after the US embassy relocation was too much to resist for the Israelis, and too much to take for the Palestinians.

Could have been a pro

Argentina been training in Barcelona last week, surely you could've just played them somewhere in Spain or another part of europe?
So basically deny their existence? Why shouldn't they play in Israel? Jews were governing their own country and building Jerusalem 1,500 years before the Spanish even landed in the unknown country of Argentina.

Why the double standard all the time? Why does the world infantalise Palestinians and their supporters? Israel was essentially thrown out of playing in Asia. Did FIFA punish the Arab countries who refused to play Israel? No. They essentially punished Israel by making them play in Europe thus making it pretty much impossible for Israel to reach the world cup.

And now threats of violence against Argentina's players will also be ignored by the media and FIFA because the bigotry of low expectations of Palestinians is so bloody low, they're viewed as toddlers who just can't help themselves,

Last edited by a moderator:

izec

Politics and football should be separated. Just saw a picture with a woman holding an Argentina shirt with blood all over it. Doesnt make any sense to me

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Second, Jerusalem is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world to be right now.
Is that why one of the biggest sporting events in the world started off there only a month ago without any trouble whatsoever? :confused:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Sounds like it was cancelled more than just to make a political statement though? Probably safety concerns being top of the list.

"Argentinian sports website Minutouno reported on Tuesday that Saturday's game in Jerusalem had been "suspended" amid an "escalation of violence, threats and criticism" directed at captain 'Leo' Messi."

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Let's hope all countries suffering from Islamic terrorism boycott the 2022 world cup on the same grounds.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
First of all it's Al Jazeera - an Arabic Muslim TV station. This is anti Israel propaganda. Second, Jerusalem is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world to be right now, Jews and Muslims live side by side and they are in a de facto state of war. Anything could happen. Also if anything happened to the Argentinian national side it would be an international embarrassment for Israel, something the Palestinians would relish. Finally, in typical Arabic Muslim fashion their ambassador claims Jerusalem is 'occupied territory' when it has changed hands between Otterman Muslims and Christians throughout the centuries. No side has a rightful claim to it.
Calm down.

I only used that because it was the first source I saw with the story. That's all.

Let's hope all countries suffering from Islamic terrorism boycott the 2022 world cup on the same grounds.
Not to be that guy but I think its worth remembering nobody suffers from extremist terror more than Muslim countries. Nowhere is untouched. However, the scale of the attacks we've seen in the Horn of Africa, the Fertile Cresent and the Af-Pak region is, thankfully, something rarely seen outside of predominately Muslim countries.

el3mel

No problem in cancelling the match if they are afraid on their lives but don't take moral high ground and say you did this for the sake of Palestinians, it's cring worthy and no one believe it anyway.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This isn't a political statement. Messi was being threatened so they backed out. Why would they disrupt their WC preparation by arranging a friendly and then cancelling it for "political reasons" That doesn't make sense at all They cancelled it for safety reasons.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No problem in cancelling the match if they are afraid on their lives but don't take moral high ground and say you did this for the sake of Palestinians, it's cring worthy and no one believe it anyway.
Aye true. It was the death threats to Messi which ultimately contributed in the cancellation of the match. The atrocities has been happening in Palestine for quite some time, why did their conscious not wake up early?

The match never should have happened in Jerusalem considering the problems too.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Here's the highlights of the last time Argentina played in Israel, in the same Jerusalem stadium:

MDFC Manager

Excellent by Argentina.

Not very good for Israel's silly and populist sports minister who paid tax money for the match to be moved from Haifa to Jerusalem for political reasons.

She deserves this.
Wow, then this is even better!