Argentina cancel friendly in Jerusalem

Pagh Wraith

If they cancelled because they think it'd be too dangerous then fair enough. If it is for moral or political reasons, then it is absolutely disgusting. And I cannot believe some posters are defending this.

Kaos

I think a lot of you are missing the point. It’s not about boycotting the Israeli state, but rather a rejection of the game being moved to Jerusalem. It was the Israelis who decided to politicise this by making the symbolic move of shifting the game there, especially after the US’ notorious decision to claim contested Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in defiance to international consensus.

This wouldn’t have been an issue if the Israelis just agreed to play the game in Haifa as originally planned instead of making it a political event.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ah, indeed. Though, when you said biggest, I thought of some football, tennis or biathlon.
Ah no, but I’d just think that safely leadig 200 riders through the streets is more difficult than securing the safety of people inside a stadium, and certainly a sign that you’re not “one of the most dangerous cities in the world”.

RedDevil@84

I think a lot of you are missing the point. It’s not about boycotting the Israeli state, but rather a rejection of the game being moved to Jerusalem. It was the Israelis who decided to politicise this by making the symbolic move of shifting the game there, especially after the US’ notorious decision to claim contested Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in defiance to international consensus.

This wouldn’t have been an issue if the Israelis just agreed to play the game in Haifa as originally planned instead of making it a political event.
This.

Morpheus 7

This! Nobody can argue this point.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Agree with this.

In four years time a World Cup will be played in stadiums built by slaves according to many reports.

Whatever you think about the Israeli government’s policies, if you boycott playing Israel then how can you justify playing in arenas built by slaves? 4,000 of whom have allegedly died building grounds for Qatar 2022.

Once you start bringing outside stuff into football it shines a light on the whole lot of us, and we don’t look good under the spotlight.
Nobody CAN justify playing a World Cup in Qatar. At least, no fan can.

RadamelFalcon

I understand the controversy about the match being played in Jerusalem. However, as someone who has lived in Jerusalem (near to the Teddy Stadium), it is situated in the middle of a Jewish area of Jerusalem and would not be part of a Palestinian state under almost any deal. I think this has been done because of pressure on the Argentinian FA due to threats on the players, which is understandable. However, I don't think playing the game in SW Jerusalem is particularly controversial.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Boogie Man

If they cancelled because they think it'd be too dangerous then fair enough. If it is for moral or political reasons, then it is absolutely disgusting. And I cannot believe some posters are defending this.
I doubt it is for moral or political reasons, otherwise they wouldn't have arranged a friendly there in the first place. It's not like this is the first time Israel has been in the news, and it would be surprising if they'd just had some massive revelation in the last few weeks.

But if they did cancel for moral reasons, I don't know why it would be disgusting? I wouldn't visit Israel for moral reasons either, not while the blockades are still going on, is that disgusting?

Reactions: KM

klsv

I don't really get the "keep politics away from football" talk. Everything, including professional football, is intertwined with politics. Stuff like this, with the media sensationalism that goes with it, just makes it visible for those ignoring it or being ignorant about it.

Camilo

It's funny how all our little minds are conditioned by the controlling media.

Giggsyking

Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Especially so considering the AMIA bombing in 1994!!!
so you saying that they are a corrupt country do not give the right to do the right thing once.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

You're being naive yourself if the game has been rejected due to it being moved to Jerusalem. Its only when the threats started coming in, that they stopped the match.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The match should have been played in another part of Israel. I cannot knock the decision tbh. I sure some will bring anti-Semitism into this.
Don't play in those stadiums either. Life is more than just football.
According to Haaretz "The match was originally slated to be played in Haifa but Israeli authorities contributed funding for it to be moved to Jerusalem." So seems like the Israelis may have politicised this initially although international matches have been played in Jerusalem before, and the stadium is located firmly in West Jerusalem. Probably the symbol of Messi arriving just after the US embassy relocation was too much to resist for the Israelis, and too much to take for the Palestinians.
Not very good for Israel's silly and populist sports minister who paid tax money for the match to be moved from Haifa to Jerusalem for political reasons.

She deserves this.

Matches are not cancelled due to threats. Anyway, Israel has the best security in the world for dealing with any threats.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks like Israel were the first to politicize the game.

Giggsyking

If the thing of "keep politics away from football", Israel shouldn't insist on moving the game from another city to Jerusalem.

KM

Matches are not cancelled for threats to players. Anyway, Israel has the best security in the world.
Then they should have cancelled a month ago rather than just two days ago before the match when the first threat come in.

People are giving credit to Argentinian FA when they deserve none.

Adisa

Reports saying it was the players that wanted it cancelled.

Adisa

I understand the controversy about the match being played in Jerusalem. However, as someone who has lived in Jerusalem (near to the Teddy Stadium), it is situated in the middle of a Jewish area of Jerusalem and would not be part of a Palestinian state under almost any deal. I think this has been done because of pressure on the Argentinian FA due to threats on the players, which is understandable. However, I don't think playing the game in SW Jerusalem is particularly controversial.
It is if the match was originally scheduled for Tel Aviv and moved right after Trump did his thing.

Minimalist

Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, suddenly taking a moral stance over a football match seems rich from them.

Something 24 years ago? Really?

Kaos

You're being naive yourself if the game has been rejected due to it being moved to Jerusalem. Its only when the threats started coming in, that they stopped the match.
There wouldn’t have been any turmoil had the game stayed in Haifa. The Israelis decided to poke the hornets nest by moving the venue to Jerusalem. The Argentine FA’s decision was likely not political, but the decision to shift the venue certainly was.

Last edited:

KM

There wouldn’t have been any turmoil had the game stayed in Haifa. The Israelis decided to poke the hornets nest by moving the embassy to Jerusalem. The Argentine FA’s decision was likely not political, but the decision to shift the venue certainly was.
I'm not denying that. The match should have been cancelled months(or whenever the match was shifted) ago as soon as the Israel FA shifted the match

lsd

The Oracle

Pretty much every war and dispute in history can be traced back to Britain at some point should we ban any British team as well

Pagh Wraith

But if they did cancel for moral reasons, I don't know why it would be disgusting? I wouldn't visit Israel for moral reasons either, not while the blockades are still going on, is that disgusting?
Would you visit the United States? Or Saudi-Arabia? If yes, then you are a hypocrite.

MDFC Manager

Yup, very disgusting stuff by the Israelis to shift the match to Jerusalem for political reasons.

Mr Bridger

Jesus Christ :mad: ...was looking forward to seeing how Argentina set up.

Classical Mechanic

Yes the british empire has a lot to answer for .I don't think Britain can take the moral high ground on any country
So you really think that all conflicts and disputes in history can be traced back to an Empire that started in 1497?

Have the British government even made a comment on this issue?

lsd

The Oracle
So you really think that all conflicts and disputes in history can be traced back to an Empire that started in 1497?

Have the British government even made a comment on this issue?

Well even your Prime Minister David Cameron said while in office that "as with many of problems that exist worldwide we are are responsible for their creation "

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Not to be that guy but I think its worth remembering nobody suffers from extremist terror more than Muslim countries. Nowhere is untouched. However, the scale of the attacks we've seen in the Horn of Africa, the Fertile Cresent and the Af-Pak region is, thankfully, something rarely seen outside of predominately Muslim countries.
A lot of the Islamic terrorist funding originates in Qatar. That was what my point was.

Also just because Muslim countries suffer from Islamic terrorism, does that somehow discount that other countries don't? Also I said nothing about Muslims or non Muslims here. Islamic terrorism is a global problem, but the countries which least deserve it have all the rights to call a spade, a spade.