g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsène Wenger refuses to let Mourinho sit next to him at UEFA conference

GBBQ

Seriously, don't people remember Wenger of the 90's and early 00's when Arsenal were relevant. Biggest moaner about a game but when it came to blatant fouls by his own players 'I did not see it'.

I enjoyed his tussles with Fergie and he drove us to be as successful as we were but lets not pretend he wasn't a media savvy WUM.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It’s now being claimed that this tale is complete bs. Apparently UEFA’s seating arrangement isn’t a ‘sit where you like’ policy. Rather, everyone is assigned their own seat.

Fergie is always the HBIC.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mourinho is a bully, Wenger is the whiny kid who draws bullies.

As long as Mourinho doesn't cross the line with his comments then I really don't care. It's not at all beyond him to do just that though so I hope he doesn't get involved this season.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I like the idea of Mourinho swaggering in last, Manchester United boss, feckers. Bet Fergie had a chuckle.

Mindhunter

Wenger has been making unprovoked comments about Chelsea's style of play despite losing to them multiple times. Mourinho is no angel either but his points around Wenger being the only manager at a top club who doesn't need to meet expectations and that he talks too much about other clubs are spot on.

Mourinho has done quite a few detestable things like poking Tito in the eye, mocking Benitez's wife and his entire episode with the Chelsea medic but I really can't blame him for his comments on Wenger. He is too touchy a guy for someone who hasn't won anything of note for a long period of time.

pixel

Wenger has been making unprovoked comments about Chelsea's style of play despite losing to them multiple times. Mourinho is no angel either but his points around Wenger being the only manager at a top club who doesn't need to meet expectations and that he talks too much about other clubs are spot on.

Mourinho has done quite a few detestable things like poking Tito in the eye, mocking Benitez's wife and his entire episode with the Chelsea medic but I really can't blame him for his comments on Wenger. He is too touchy a guy for someone who hasn't won anything of note for a long period of time.
Spot on.

EyeInTheSky

Really? I find them both incredibly easy to dislike :lol:
There's a reason for that, Mourinho is more obvious because of all his accolades and the fact that his team stopped you from winning the title. However, the Wenger one is a bit more nuanced because his success was in a different era of football but in the last 27 years none the less.:wenger:

actually, I figured it out, its none of the above stuff is it?? It's the fact they both wear the same shitcoates the only difference being is that JM can do his up without turning it into a straightjacket!!

Whats with you guys and long coats anyway? Did something happen during the industrial revolution? Perhaps child labourers working in the old mills by the Mersey river had to stay and work overtime to make and sew the extra material required to turn normal coats into shitcoates?

EyeInTheSky

Wasn't this after her insulting him by saying something like "My Husband always has to clean up Jose's messes". Which I find hysterical since he has followed him at 2/3 clubs where JM had one either the League or CL...

GiddyUp

Childish by Wenger.
That's what happens when you surround yourself with young players and no commanding personalities. He is the Michael Jackson of football with out the bed sharing of course. He has been a bit unhinged in my opinion in the last ten years. He is fast becoming irrelevant in club football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wasn't this after her insulting him by saying something like "My Husband always has to clean up Jose's messes". Which I find hysterical since he has followed him at 2/3 clubs where JM had one either the League or CL...
You are correct. Benitez's wife was the first to throw the jab. After what she said, Mourinho mocking her and his weight was fair game imo.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Already defending Mourinho like one of our own.:D Considering I didn't want him in he first place.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Hopefully there's going to to some passion in our fixtures against the gooners again.
God I hope so. I started watching football and supporting United in the early 2000s, when United/Arsenal matches really meant something.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yep. But her comment was clearly made in jest, the whole interview had a mildly cheeky, ironic kind of tone. Mourinho just took it the wrong way.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Mourinho is a bully, Wenger is the whiny kid who draws bullies.

As long as Mourinho doesn't cross the line with his comments then I really don't care. It's not at all beyond him to do just that though so I hope he doesn't get involved this season.
Agreed. Wenger is that annoying kid on the first row who always brings an apple to the teacher.

Mourinho would rough that shit up, give him a wedgie and crown it with a water tight.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You are correct. Benitez's wife was the first to throw the jab. After what she said, Mourinho mocking her and his weight was fair game imo.
His comeback was essentially "shouldn't you be in the kitchen?"

It was pathetic and neanderthal from Morinho.

In other news...

Red Stone

Which is a fecking audacious statement to make considering Rafa has consistently left clubs in a bigger mess than when he arrived, ever since Liverpool.

ottosec

Laughable from Wenger, but expected. That's who he is and his teams mirror his personality, no wonder they always fall short when things get rough.

They obviously hate each other and normally they wouldn't want to be around each other, but surely in this case he could man up and be professional for 30 minutes or whatever it takes to take a couple of photos and do whatever the feck are they do there.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Not justifying Mourinho's comments but it wasn't Mourinho hat started the war of words. Wenger was constantly accusing Chelsea of spending too much money. That was where the voyeur comments came from.
Accusing your club is no reason to send personal insults.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Laughable from Wenger, but expected. That's who he is and his teams mirror his personality, no wonder they always fall short when things get rough.

They obviously hate each other and normally they wouldn't want to be around each other, but surely in this case he could man up and be professional for 30 minutes or whatever it takes to take a couple of photos and do whatever the feck are they do there.
You're clearly seeing this through rose tinted glasses. They don't like each other...simple. If someone I really disliked asked to sit next to me i would say no as well.

Riverized157

Supports
Benfica
Wenger is just an bitter loser. He used to be the "shi*" in England managing that invincible Arsenal team and after Mourinho arrival he just got pushed of the title of the best abroad manager in Premier League. Add to that the fact that he never managed to beat an Mourinho team in a Premier League match and that besides beating him on the field Mourinho also humiliates him in every single press conference and you get the explanation for Wenger lack of love for Mou. Every time Wenger has to come against Mourinho he knows he will be second best - nobody likes that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Seriously, don't people remember Wenger of the 90's and early 00's when Arsenal were relevant. Biggest moaner about a game but when it came to blatant fouls by his own players 'I did not see it'.

I enjoyed his tussles with Fergie and he drove us to be as successful as we were but lets not pretend he wasn't a media savvy WUM.
Fergie and mourinho haven't been much different.

jungledrums

Mourinho has been absolutely pathetic and disrespectful towards Wenger since he first came to the PL, totally unprovoked. At least the rivalry between Wenger and SAF was born from mutual respect. Who can blame Wenger?
There is no rivalry between Mourinho and Wenger. There is only Wenger losing to Mourinho. Wenger is a bit of a prick himself. Blaming Arsenal fans for not standing by their own players and being 'spoilt'. Detestable, arrogant man. At least Mourinho fights his battles in plain sight.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
There is no rivalry between Mourinho and Wenger. There is only Wenger losing to Mourinho. Wenger is a bit of a prick himself. Blaming Arsenal fans for not standing by their own players and being 'spoilt'. Detestable, arrogant man. At least Mourinho fights his battles in plain sight.
Pretty sure last year a post like this would he laughed at. I'm just saying it's easy to pass these judgements on managers but at the end of the day these are just some stupid pressers we like to over analyze

jungledrums

Pretty sure last year a post like this would he laughed at. I'm just saying it's easy to pass these judgements on managers but at the end of the day these are just some stupid pressers we like to over analyze
Why? I never once said anything about Mourinho being likeable. No one could laugh at that post, it's pure fact.
I never change my opinion on a player/manager depending on where they are. Always liked Mourinho, always respected him, that'll never change. It'd be fickle to suddenly love someone you previously hated just because they've moved to your club.
Edit: I've never stopped despising Wenger. That will also never change.

Kag

Football would be boring if manager's didn't have character. It's all about putting on a show and the likes of Mourinho and Wenger do it well.

EyeInTheSky

Yep. But her comment was clearly made in jest, the whole interview had a mildly cheeky, ironic kind of tone. Mourinho just took it the wrong way.
I don't like the double standards being applied here. I can't agree that Jose should be a good egg and take everyone's jibes on the chin but if he gives as good as he gets then he "Took it the wrong way". It was hardly a harmless comment on her part, she could not have been more insulting to a pro football manager by insulting his passion and his life's work. he retorded about the fact that RB was slightly tubby. If anything she got off lightly.

EyeInTheSky

Which is a fecking audacious statement to make considering Rafa has consistently left clubs in a bigger mess than when he arrived, ever since Liverpool.
Lol yep. JM left him with champions league and league winning sides and Raffa failed at them.

Irony took a brutal blow the day she made that statement.

Hang on, maybe we didn't give her enough credit? Maybe she was being sarcastic and it was aimed at her husband which would make her a comedy genius?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I don't like the double standards being applied here. I can't agree that Jose should be a good egg and take everyone's jibes on the chin but if he gives as good as he gets then he "Took it the wrong way". It was hardly a harmless comment on her part, she could not have been more insulting to a pro football manager by insulting his passion and his life's work. he retorded about the fact that RB was slightly tubby. If anything she got off lightly.
When I read it I understood it to be a harmless en passant joke, although in the world of eccentric football managers that probably translates into something close to a declaration of war.

But I don't that care much about the morals of the soap opera aspects of football. Just wanted to point out that it didn't seem to be meant as a serious attack back then.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's like a bad sitcom:

Wenger walks through the front door. Live audience applauds.
Arséne: "Hi honey, I'm home!"
José: "Yes, but your mum's fat."

Arnold Layne

I agree.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Jose won't back out on a spat, he loves it just as much as fergie loves to wind people up and wreck them to sobbering pieces.

Keegan? Benitez? Fergie loves seeing them breaking down i bet, the mind games is just a bonus.

I dont see anything so bad about abit of banter, at the end of the day when wenger retires im sure jose would have no problem sharing his wine a times or two. Football is a showbiz afterall

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Both of them have been childish to each other so nothing surprising but at the same it was said that the seats had their names so maybe this is blown out of stupid proportion.

Mindhunter

Yeah. Mourinho shouldn't have taken the bait. If you go down that route of answering to any Tom, Dick and Harry then where does it end?

It wasn't even a mind game so no footballing benefits to be drawn.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Both of them have been childish to each other so nothing surprising but at the same it was said that the seats had their names so maybe this is blown out of stupid proportion.
Complete non story, people love making something out of nothing these days.

RedElf

Jose won't back out on a spat, he loves it just as much as fergie loves to wind people up and wreck them to sobbering pieces.

Keegan? Benitez? Fergie loves seeing them breaking down i bet, the mind games is just a bonus.

I dont see anything so bad about abit of banter, at the end of the day when wenger retires im sure jose would have no problem sharing his wine a times or two. Football is a showbiz afterall
Only after he's spat in it.