Arsenal 2018/19

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I like how Emery is developing and giving our youngsters a chance. Some of them look really good and ready for the first team.

Kos Forehead

Supports
Arsenal and Boston Celtics
I like these 1-0 wins. I'm so used to see us loosing to a pointless game or most critical game under Wenger.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
goalie blunder costed them a point.

yeah good cross but too close to goalie.... goalie should have palmed it away

el3mel

I maintain my point. They're having their usual Wenger season, with exactly same results, which is competing for 4th with good football. I'm not seeing anything different in them than what Wenger provided in the last decade except last season.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Defence. Not much else to be said.

As things stand though, we’re still in the hunt for a top 4 spot, and the late game result (if it goes as expected) only puts a bit of pressure on city.

We’re going to be linked to every defender in the world now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I maintain my point. They're having their usual Wenger season, with exactly same results, which is competing for 4th with good football. I'm not seeing anything different in them than what Wenger provided in the last decade except last season.
Most other seasons they'd be comfortably in top 4. Chelsea and Spurs lose a game and then they win their next 4-5 which is different to previous seasons.

Last two seasons they didn't even finish top 4.

el3mel

Most other seasons they'd be comfortably in top 4. Chelsea and Spurs lose a game and then they win their next 4-5 which is different to previous seasons.

Last season they were dogshite, but they finished 5th pretty close to Liverpool the season before it (something that can happen this season) and they were getting top 4 regularly the seasons before it. There's a reason Wenger kept his job all these years even though he was past his prime by a long margin. Except for last season, this is the usual Arsenal season imo.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Last season they were dogshite, but they finished 5th pretty close to Liverpool the season before it (something that can happen this season) and they were getting top 4 regularly the seasons before it. There's a reason Wenger kept his job all these years even though he was his prime by a long margin. Except for last season, this is the usual Arsenal season imo.
True but my point is this is generally a very strong season for the top teams when you look at points totals, points dropped against anyone outside the top 6 and general consistancy so a much stronger field for Arsenal to compete against then past 4-5 seasons imo.

el3mel

True but my point is this is generally a very strong season for the top teams when you look at points totals, points dropped against anyone outside the top 6 and general consistancy so a much stronger field for Arsenal to compete against then past 4-5 seasons imo.
I agree that they're having a pretty good season so far. My point, it's nothing extraordinary imo. They were out of their depth last season but in general they're a top 4 team either getting it or losing it closely.

JSArsenal

It would be a huge mistake to play a back 3 now with so many central defenders out injured. Especially since we would have to use our back up fullbacks to do so. What exactly would happen if Liechsteiner got injured playing every week at CB? Would Bellerin have to play every game during the Christmas period? Only for him to break down and get injured as well? The solution isn't to try to keep on playing a back 3 when we don't have the personnel for it, but to go back to a back 4.

Bellerin-Koscielny-Pleguezelo/Monreal-Kolasinac for Southampton and then rotate as needed once Sokratis comes back

If Kolasinac can't play in a back 4 then he needs to be sold in January because we don't have enough defenders to play 3 at the back for the entire season. He isn't good enough for us to change our entire formation just to accommodate him.
I can't believe it. We lose another defender before the game and Emery STILL insisted on playing a back 3, this time with a midfielder out of position.

Back 4 of Bellerin-Kos-Lich-Monreal with Xhaka-Torreira and AMN in front of them and we probably win that game

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I can't believe it. We lose another defender before the game and Emery STILL insisted on playing a back 3, this time with a midfielder out of position.

Back 4 of Bellerin-Kos-Lich-Monreal with Xhaka-Torreira and AMN in front of them and we probably win that game
You played back 4 second half didn't you?

breakout67

Supports
Man City

They arent on so many points because they are good, they are on so many points because the gap between the top teams and bottom teams is so huge. Watching their games makes this obvious as they concede chances for fun, but the quality of the opponents means the opposition misses loads of chances.

Both Spurs and Chelsea are on for 80+ points, Liverpool and City for 90+ points. The bottom half of this league is weak as piss with most of them not looking out of place in the championship, in 'most other seasons' they wouldn't be comfortably top 4 because the top teams would all have less points due to tougher games from lesser teams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They arent on so many points because they are good, they are on so many points because the gap between the top teams and bottom teams is so huge. Watching their games makes this obvious as they concede chances for fun, but the quality of the opponents means the opposition misses loads of chances.

Both Spurs and Chelsea are on for 80+ points, Liverpool and City for 90+ points. The bottom half of this league is weak as piss with most of them not looking out of place in the championship, in 'most other seasons' they wouldn't be comfortably top 4 because the top teams would all have less points due to tougher games from lesser teams.
It's difficult to say really but if you look back some seasons under Wenger in last 10 years they've finished 4th without even getting to 70 points. No chance you'll do that this season, 75 points needed for top 4 unless Spurs or Chelsea implode after xmas.

JSArsenal

You played back 4 second half didn't you?
I only caught the game from the 16th minute but had read the formation and assumed we started with a back 4 in the first half! Granit Xhaka at LWB.............

We might have switched to a back 4 in the second half, certainly from the point when AMN came on but I don't think Xhaka was in midfield. Emery needs to trust the reserve defenders we have more. Sending Xhaka out to LB is weakening two positions on the field.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Read somewhere that if Arsenal had won today it would've been their best league start for 25 + years (I dislike the Premier league history line).

I think people have just underestimated how good the top teams have been this season (or how poor the bottom half is). They've barely dropped any points outside of playing each other, look at Chelsea and Spurs's results.

In many other seasons Man. United would probably still only be 4-5 points off 4th.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Runs come to an end. We were just unfortunate to come up against a new manager bounce team with a lineup that was very dodgy looking. I'm glad it was them and not spuds that ended the run and hopefully now we'll be really fired up for that game.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Someone gets fooled too much by the cnuts on Arsenal Fan TV. Everyone knows it is gonna take time to be competitive again. Emery has brought new ideas in (high pressing and early subs to try to change the game), but he can't do that much with the current squad, apart from the attack. That's the season why 34 points in 17 games are a very good return.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
Yeah, the defence was really dodgy yesterday and has been all season. #1 thing for Emery to fix in the next transfer window.
This is what I find so sad about modern football. Got a problem, oh we'll sort it out in the next window. Buy buy buy. Do you not have an academy you can look to while you have injuries? We did yesterday with young Valery (and late sub Johnson). The idea of training your own players seems to be something of bygone years for the big clubs which is a shame.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is what I find so sad about modern football. Got a problem, oh we'll sort it out in the next window. Buy buy buy. Do you not have an academy you can look to while you have injuries? We did yesterday with young Valery (and late sub Johnson). The idea of training your own players seems to be something of bygone years for the big clubs which is a shame.
Is this the Valery who you got from Stade Rennais? And Johnson who you signed from Swindon? It's pretty strange you're criticising us for not using academy players, but then using two players Southampton signed as 16 year olds as examples of how we should do things. Iwobi and Maitland-Niles both came through the academy by the way, and both played yesterday.

Last edited:

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
It’ll be interesting to see what Emery does now with the Christmas schedule coming up, what with us being a bit thin up front and in the back.

On paper the fixture list looks reasonable apart from the game against the pool.

I’m expecting him to stick to his guns and keep it attack minded and press on with 3 at the back, and fair play to him if he does.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People forget their squad is still the sixth best in the country. They have had a very good season so far imo. The points total from the top four teams combined has to be the highest at this stage of any season. For me, they will finish fifth but it's abundantly clear they are heading in the right direction. I can't see how they could have been any higher with the first four playing the way they are.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’ll be interesting to see what Emery does now with the Christmas schedule coming up, what with us being a bit thin up front and in the back.

On paper the fixture list looks reasonable apart from the game against the pool.

I’m expecting him to stick to his guns and keep it attack minded and press on with 3 at the back, and fair play to him if he does.
Think you'll drop points at Brighton aswell. Will win the two league home games comfortably. Can't really call the Spurs game until I see the starting 11s with all the injuries flying around for both teams.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
People forget their squad is still the sixth best in the country. They have had a very good season so far imo. The points total from the top four teams combined has to be the highest at this stage of any season. For me, they will finish fifth but it's abundantly clear they are heading in the right direction. I can't see how they could have been any higher with the first four playing the way they are.
Their front 3 is top 3 quality, so they might be able to sneak top 4 on that alone. They just need more behind them.

Adisa

Their front 3 is top 3 quality, so they might be able to sneak top 4 on that alone. They just need more behind them.
Would be a hell of an ask. The four in front of them are much stronger in other areas. Only Chelsea have a weaker attack but they have Hazard.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

Well if you think about it he plays a back 3 because the defenders are poor. So deferring to that logic it makes even more sense to have 3 centre backs if they are even poorer. Then again flooding the midfield may have given us more control of possession. Tough call

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Well if you think about it he plays a back 3 because the defenders are poor. So deferring to that logic it makes even more sense to have 3 centre backs if they are even poorer. Then again flooding the midfield may have given us more control of possession. Tough call

If Emery and the other football heads can find a couple of really good players to give our defence a real shoring up, it’s going to give that midfield and attack even more freedom to push on.

Vadim

Arsenal still look a bit shit to me. Lots of average players, fans are an embarrassment and Emery has hair like an oil slick.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Do United want Mkhi back?

Can't see him, Ozil or Iwobi having much of a future.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal still look a bit shit to me. Lots of average players, fans are an embarrassment and Emery has hair like an oil slick.
Most pundits pre season had them in Man. United position, 6th and long way off top 4.

They've hit a sticky patch.

Don't really understand why Emery has gone cold on PEA and Lacazette upfront together when they were both in excellent form a few weeks back. Can only think with Welbeck injured long term he's worried one will get injured so will just have a sole out and out striker over xmas period.

Aswell as defender they need another striker/winger in January.

Adisa

Threw a bottle at Dele Alli that hit him on the head. You could see quite a few things being thrown at him but only one got on the pitch.
Thanks. Hope the cnut is caught. Football is not that serious.