Arsenal 2018/19

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
The club has become a EL-level club that can't win the EL. Well, that was harsh, Chelsea is a UCL club who has played the EL this season. Any other club in the final and Arsenal would be 18-19 EL Champions.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/27/arsenal-failure-champions-league-europa-league

Players would still come to Arsenal. Just like they would go to Chelsea once their ban gets lifted. London is a big draw. And the Premier League clubs will get a huge windfall from the next TV deal.

As I said it isn't disastrous. The club isn't going to financially suffer like they did a decade ago. Money comes from all sides now.

They never strengthened as a CL club. They aren't going to spend silly money now when their owner is penny pinching. As Liverpool showed it's about making smart buys that help the team function. Something they haven't in decades.

I don't think it is all doom and gloom for Arsenal. At least they are now staring into reality. You have a better idea of their ambition compared to say 2017 when they won the cup and decided to give Wenger an extension.
Exactly. Look at liverpool and look where are they now. You just need couple of smart signings and a brilliant coach.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Exactly. Look at liverpool and look where are they now. You just need couple of smart signings and a brilliant coach.
Klopp started at Liverpool in October 2015. They only stopped conceding stupid goals and looking serious challengers this August (revival started last January but they still had Mingolet/calamity Karius as keepers).

It's going to get even tougher for Emery you'd suspected given how Kroenke runs things. A 40m transfer budget is pretty laughable for an elite club nowadays yet he's been asked to keep up with likes of Man. United who'll be spending another 100m + this summer (I assume one transfer window you'll actually sign 2-3 players who'll significantly improve your 11).

That's just trying to keep up with the other team who didn't get CL. I really think Arsenal are going to struggle to finish above likes of Leicester and Everton next season. Spurs winning CL on Saturday would probably mentally finish them off for a decade.

Irwin99

Hard to see any grounds for optimism for them. We are a shambles too and I think as a club we’re heading nowhere with Ed and the glazers here but we still have massive financial power. City can outspend anyone, Chelsea and United have a bigger financial backing and Spurs and Liverpool seem better run and more stable.

I miss the days of Sir Alex vs Wenger :(

SambaBoy

Just don't have the finances to compete anymore or the scouting system that found talents for next to nothing under Wenger.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So Arsenal lose a cup final, where they supposedly aren't favourites because they have sh*t players, and they're 'bottlejobs'. Honestly, its absolutely ridiculous to put that tag on a team that reached the final after beating Napoli and Valencia, home and away. It was one match where they lost it in a few minutes in the second half, before which it was an even match.

A lot of these players were the same 'bottlejobs' that beat Chelsea 2-1 two years ago in the FA Cup final, against these same world-class Chelsea players. I'm not sure if the rhetoric around the Chelsea players in that match was also of bottlejobs, but maybe it should have been given they lost to a team that was much weaker than them. These Arsenal players were also the same bottlejobs that won 3 FA Cups in 4 years when their previous generation couldn't win a trophy in close to 10 years.

Arsenal fans need to give this current team a bit more credit than just giving them labels, while they haven't gotten top 4 recently and would like to compare the record of their previous teams in that regard, they should consider that during the time of Fabregas, Van Persie etc there were only 4 good teams in England (United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea) and you had teams like Spurs and Everton challenging the top 4 position. Now you have the same 4 teams but also City and Spurs playing at a much much higher level that any other team outside of the top 4 during the previous decade, so you can't put the same expectations on this team. It's much more difficult to get into the top 4 today than it was in say 2009.

Also, their previous bunch, supposedly full of world class players, didn't win a single trophy and even lost to Birmingham City in the Carling Cup final. Atleast a lot of players from this team have brought 3 FA Cups during their time.

Classical Mechanic

[QUOTE="FootballHQ, post: 24213234, member: 110764] Spurs winning CL on Saturday would probably mentally finish them off for a decade.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. How many players do they even have with a real connection to the club?

haram

They should tear it all up and appoint Arteta. They would have to accept probably not finishing top 4 for another few seasons but there is a rot that needs to be cut out before they can build again properly.

crossy1686

career ending
Just don't have the finances to compete anymore or the scouting system that found talents for next to nothing under Wenger.
With technology and stat keeping the way it is these days, finding untapped talents is almost impossible. You've got to pay big money for fairly average players now.

Cloud7

Honestly I’m really happy they lost, purely for selfish reasons. It would have sucked quite hard for United to be the only English team in the Europa next season, while the other five of the top six were in CL.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly I’m really happy they lost, purely for selfish reasons. It would have sucked quite hard for United to be the only English team in the Europa next season, while the other five of the top six were in CL.
Also, Arsenal have never won a European trophy. That made me laugh...

Raw

Same here, couldn't give two shits about Chelsea and I just don't like Arsenal and their fans.

Arsenal, United and Milan in the Europa League. 3 huge clubs battling it out in Europe's second rate competition. Lovely.

Kostov

Feck Arsenal, one of the most annoying clubs there is. Wasn’t there an annoying poster called Peter Storey or something that was an Arsenal fan on here?

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
I don't understand why Arsenal fans are throwing blame in Kronke's direction when he's spent £200m in the last two years, is it really much of a surprise that they only have £40m to spend and their transfer strategy depends on getting back in the CL when they've been a CL team for so long? I think the person you need to look at is Wenger, apparently he's the one that sanctioned Ozil's new contract and he's the one that left the squad in a mess.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Perhaps what they need is a season without European football. Liverpool had that in 16/17 because they finished 8th in 15/16 and lost to Sevilla. I reckon the lack of EL football did contribute to them getting 4th in 16/17.

And Chelsea even won the title.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
I think Emery hasn’t done badly at all. I think he has had a solid first season.
He needs to hang onto to his two forwards. He needs more creativity. He needs two centre backs.
He needs a backup keeper. It’s not all doom and gloom!

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
I think Emery hasn’t done badly at all. I think he has had a solid first season.
He needs to hang onto to his two forwards. He needs more creativity. He needs two centre backs.
He needs a backup keeper. It’s not all doom and gloom!
It is when you realise that their budget is 20p this summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is not a coincidence that once Ramsey got injured then we kept losing. It looks really funny now the board decided now to renew his contract. The better team won yesterday and I have no problem with it. Even if we won yesterday it won't change anything. 30M or 40M more for the transfer budget won't make a difference to the future of this club, or the way how it runs.

Also I am so happy for Giroud. Congrats! He deserves better and hope Chelsea appreciates his presence as a target man/focal point in the box.

Last edited:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Feck Arsenal, one of the most annoying clubs there is. Wasn’t there an annoying poster called Peter Storey or something that was an Arsenal fan on here?
A love him or hate him kind of guy if I remember correctly.

I preferred Jopub personally.