Arsenal 2018/19

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's all the one. 2 broken clubs.
Arsenal have been like this for years, it's rather more worrying we've caught up to them in less time. Arsenal went from Champions to top 4 to team struggling for top 4 over the course of 15 years, we've gone from Champions to team struggling for top 4 in 5 years.

Silver lining is that we have more money but it doesn't look like we'll spend wisely.

Al-T

Do we have to start the Europa league earlier or can we qualify 5th and start later than Arsenal ?[/QUOTE. Given how shit we have been, we could still finish fifth. Even if we don't, if Citeh win the FA Cup, we will still avoid the EFL qualifiers.

That would probably be the best scenario, however, part of me really hopes we don't. Then this bunch of lazy, uninspired fuds masquerading as Manchester United players will have to cut short their holidays and the plans for the Pre season tour are screwed.

Maybe then the parasites that own this club will be prompted to F#&K off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Emery though seemingly brought in an upgrade in GK in Leno, an upgrade to the defence in Sokratis and an upgrade to the midfield in Torreira

Where's it got them?
Leno's been alright in fairness, back to his early days at Leverkusen.

Sokratis is mediocre, not useless like Mustafi but seen too many Dortmund defensive collapses with him at the heart of it to think he's anywhere near WC standard. Koscienly remains their best CB but is just old now and injured often.

Torreira had good form but struggled since xmas which isn't surprise for young player in this league, Guendouzi similar.

Arsenal are signing players of the standard of Fred and Eric Bailly (infact they want him aswell) and we've seen where that's got Man. United recently.

haram

I wouldn't bet on it, our players have thrown in the towel

Can see both sides drawing or even loosing
The kids will come in like they did against Watford last year and put a little smile on our faces.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Already predicted this entirely predictable outcome to Arsenal's season here and here.

Not because I'm particularly insightful, but because it was bloody obvious.

Arsenal aren't a big club any more, and certainly not an elite club any more. They overachieved under Wenger, and are being bled dry by a billionaire who not only doesn't care about Arsenal, he doesn't even care about football. Why would he? He didn't grow up watching football. He doesn't go to games. Anyone on this forum could ask him five questions about football, and he would immediately be revealed to know nothing.

All he wants is the value of the club to go up, and to take his millions out every year.

That's one sh*t season without Wenger, I wonder how many it will take before this sinks in. I've predicted elsewhere that it will take about 10 years. This season may be completely wasted as part of that sinking in process, as they might scrape through the Europa League, and then Arsenal fans will be able to kid themselves that as they're back in the Champions League, that this represents progress, and that they're heading in the right direction.

Edit: Hilariously, some are already calling for Emery to be sacked. Sack him, get someone else in. Get Wenger back. It'll make f*ck all difference.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Kroenke is huge problem but sort of club where it seems manager and players will always take more flak than an owner who can hide away and never turn up at games unless it's a cup final.

I saw it with my own club.

I see on your bio you claim you don't support a club so not posting with United spectacles but pretty sure Arsenal have still finished above Man. United in most of the seasons since Fergie retired. Could still do it this season not that it will matter much.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
. Koscienly remains their best CB but is just old now and injured often.
Koscielny’s been one of the great Arsenal players - as has Monreal - but without an owner committing to winning the team’s not likely to go anywhere further.

And if there were any justice Kos would have won the WC so I expect nothing.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I see on your bio you claim you don't support a club so not posting with United spectacles but pretty sure Arsenal have still finished above Man. United in most of the seasons since Fergie retired. Could still do it this season not that it will matter much.
Technically, I support Grimsby Town, I used to have a season ticket when I was younger, but I don't really care what happens to them now. I just watch football because I like sport.

Arsenal and Grimsby are at different ends of the spectrum, but they're both victims of what football has become; ie. a pretty big business. Grimsby now cannot achieve anything, Arsenal are not going to achieve what Arsenal fans believe they should achieve.

I have long since adjusted to this reality, it will take Arsenal fans a long time to accept that they're not relevant any more, but eventually it will sink in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wierd fact of football: I was in the same year at School as Grimsby's first choice keeper.

Agree on your general point. Football was more innocent and fun in the 90s. Grimsby were in division one in those days and played a few times at Wembley IIRC.

ken11

If Arsenal win the Europa League this season, will they be in the CL next? Does anyone get bumped? Eventhough this scenario happened to Utd, I forgot what happened...

Bojan11

If Arsenal win the Europa League this season, will they be in the CL next? Does anyone get bumped? Eventhough this scenario happened to Utd, I forgot what happened...
How can you forget?

ken11

How can you forget?
Like I forgot who got bumped and such.

This season, Chelsea are in the top 4 but also in contention for the Europa League. Arsenal are not in the Top 4 but also in contention for Europa League. What happens in each scenario if either wins it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Arsenal finished above us again.....

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

This season, Chelsea are in the top 4 but also in contention for the Europa League. Arsenal are not in the Top 4 but also in contention for Europa League. What happens in each scenario if either wins it?
The same that happened when 6th placed Manchester United won the europa league in 16/17.

Bojan11

How can you forget? It was two years ago pal.

el3mel

Chelsea are in CL anyway and if Arsenal win EL they'll be the 5th English team in CL. It's more important for Arsenal than Chelsea at the moment.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Wierd fact of football: I was in the same year at School as Grimsby's first choice keeper.

Agree on your general point. Football was more innocent and fun in the 90s. Grimsby were in division one in those days and played a few times at Wembley IIRC.
Do you mean their current keeper?

Yeah, I think I already knew that the Wembley season was as good as it was going to get. Back then, we could keep our players. When we were promoted out of the National League to the Football League a few years ago, when we began the next season virtually only the goalkeeper was left from the previous campaign.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Do you mean their current keeper?

Yeah, I think I already knew that the Wembley season was as good as it was going to get. Back then, we could keep our players. When we were promoted out of the National League to the Football League a few years ago, when we began the next season virtually only the goalkeeper was left from the previous campaign.
Yes James McKeown. He grew up in Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands and went to same school (Darius Vassell and Cat Deeley also went a few years before). He was on Walsall's books as youth keeper.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You're only as good as your players. Wenger or Emery, it doesn't matter. Their team looks average on paper and gets average results. There's nothing surprising about it anymore.

It's the same with us but for some reason people can look at at team with the likes of Young, Jones, Lindelof, Lingard, Shaw, Fred, McTominay etc and expect it to win any PL game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You're only as good as your players. Wenger or Emery, it doesn't matter. Their team looks average on paper and gets average results. There's nothing surprising about it anymore.

It's the same with us but for some reason people can look at at team with the likes of Young, Jones, Lindelof, Lingard, Shaw, Fred, McTominay etc and expect it to win any PL game.
Maybe because they do, more than they dont

Needham

Arsenal have been like this for years, it's rather more worrying we've caught up to them in less time. Arsenal went from Champions to top 4 to team struggling for top 4 over the course of 15 years, we've gone from Champions to team struggling for top 4 in 5 years.

Silver lining is that we have more money but it doesn't look like we'll spend wisely.
We went to that in one season. The failure of a giant club isn't a slow process like turning round an oil tanker. It's more like putting a radical National Union of Students president in charge of the country. Things go to shit immediately. Now we need an acute tyrannical dictator.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Stan Kroenke is slowly killing Arsenal. It is sad to see but nothing you can do about it.

We need to win the EL badly, as the CL money may give us extra 20M to boost the summer transfer budget from 40m to 60m. It may be enough to improve our defense, and add a CM.

Last edited:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Positives to this season
Leno, Kos (only probably has 1 year left, Lacazette, Auba, AMN(has had some dodgy moments)

Neutral
Bellerin (missed too much) -still not great at defending but important in giving our attack another dimension, same status for missed games for Holding and Mapravonos, Guendouzi has a decent first year, Xhaka was okish most of the time, Sokratis (some solidity), Torreira (more to come)

Emery has been overall ok given the hard task he inherited. His transfers last summer saved him.

Poor
Ozil, Mikhi, Licht, Iwobi (when is that end product coming, I would still keep for another year), Monreal (aging, has been a good servant), Kola (one more year), Jenkinson

Absolute rubbish (would trade for a bag of peanuts)
Mustafi ( I don't even like his attitude)
El Nene (poor all round, only contributes properly to our backwards triangles to Leno).

I think Emery will be busy this summer. He needs to be in order for him to bring in the players he wants long term.

If Arsenal can win the EL it's a very good season for them. They royally fecked up not getting top 4, can't really believe they managed it but they have played some good stuff with Emery who seems to suit them.
They need some signings of course but they look much better a year on from Wenger than we did a year on from SAF.

Kapardin

If Arsenal can win the EL it's a very good season for them. They royally fecked up not getting top 4, can't really believe they managed it but they have played some good stuff with Emery who seems to suit them.
They need some signings of course but they look much better a year on from Wenger than we did a year on from SAF.
Emery has never had a good away games record. Going forward, that's a concern for them. If it wasn't for that, they would be comfortably 3rd this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We finished behind these tossers at the end of the day. Shameless.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Emery is settled on 532 as our formation now. This summer if we can

- add a LB and RB to replace Licht, Jenkinson and Monreal,
- sell Mustafi and replace him with Monreal as CB,
- sell Mikhi and add a winger
- sell Elneny and add a CM

Then we will have a successful summer. Not sure if we have money to do all this in one window though.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
We finished behind these tossers at the end of the day. Shameless.
Yes, and that’s with us being fantastically shite at times.

Not to mention finishing behind Spurs who managed to lose 13 games.

And Chelsea who were like Jekyl and Hyde.

Guess you didn’t post that looking for sympathy though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
2014/15: Champions League Round of 16
2015/16: Champions League Round of 16
2016/17: Champions League Round of 16
2017/18: Europa League Semi-final
2018/19: Europa League Final
2019/20: Europa League

Going into their third straight season of Europa League football, losing Ramsey on a free and likely another summer of underspending. Was said last year that they had about £50M to spend and they ended up spending not much more than that (£70Mish). Their budget for this season is said to be even lower and they've got a hell of a lot they need to do. Going to be a struggle.