Arsenal 2018/19

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Do you really have the budget for those two?
Especially when you definitely need a new winger in addition to that.
Definitely not. We're supposed to have around 50 to 80m if we manage to qualify for the Champions League. I could see Alaba moving for around 35/40M but Umtiti would cost a bomb and he probably would not choose Arsenal.

On top of that we already need to replace Cech (Martinez ?), a left back with Monreal being on his last legs, some cover at RB with Liechsteiner not being renewed and Bellerin who will probably miss the start of the season. And as you said we've been in need of a scoring winger forever. Oh and we're losing Ramsey so add a box to box midfielder to the list.

In an ideal world i would get Mustafi, Mikhi out and get Alaba+winger+Ramsey replacement. I'm afraid we're going to have to be creative again and grab some potentially good players on the cheap and hope for the best.

haram

Definitely not. We're supposed to have around 50 to 80m if we manage to qualify for the Champions League. I could see Alaba moving for around 35/40M but Umtiti would cost a bomb and he probably would not choose Arsenal.

On top of that we already need to replace Cech (Martinez ?), a left back with Monreal being on his last legs, some cover at RB with Liechsteiner not being renewed and Bellerin who will probably miss the start of the season. And as you said we've been in need of a scoring winger forever. Oh and we're losing Ramsey so add a box to box midfielder to the list.

In an ideal world i would get Mustafi, Mikhi out and get Alaba+winger+Ramsey replacement. I'm afraid we're going to have to be creative again and grab some potentially good players on the cheap and hope for the best.
What makes you think Alaba would go for 40 million?

awop

Supports
Arsenal
What makes you think Alaba would go for 40 million?
Contract expiring in 2021, has been a good servant to the club, Hernandez could be taking some game time from him. I don't feel like they would play hard-ball with him if he asked to leave but i might be totally wrong. How much do you think he'd go for ?

haram

Contract expiring in 2021, has been a good servant to the club, Hernandez could be taking some game time from him. I don't feel like they would play hard-ball with him if he asked to leave but i might be totally wrong. How much do you think he'd go for ?
Certainly more than 40 million and he certainly would not move to Arsenal if he was available.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Certainly more than 40 million and he certainly would not move to Arsenal if he was available.
Well, that's your opinion, maybe he wouldn't. He said he was an Arsenal fan in a recent interview and that he might want to try Spain or England. Barcelona is set, Madrid could be an option if they ditch Marcelo. If he prefers the PL then i don't think United, City or Liverpool are in any need for a leftback. Chelsea could use one but who knows what the club will look like come summer, they might have more urgent positions to fill.
Weirder moves have happened but don't get me wrong i'm not expecting it to happen.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The usual bullshit transfer rumours out early this year, season ticket renewals must be coming up soon.
Exactly my thoughts. Throw out a few names in the positions the fans have been clamoring about and realistic or not, some will get hope.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly my thoughts. Throw out a few names in the positions the fans have been clamoring about and realistic or not, some will get hope.
yup same old same old. Don't know how much we have and it likely depends where we are sitting at the end of the season I suspect. If we send Mustafi packing and bring in a quality CB, I will be reasonably happy. A winger could not hurt either. Have to say Emery had a great first transfer summer. If he has one like that again, there is reason for optimism.

Vadim

Do you really have the budget for those two?
Especially when you definitely need a new winger in addition to that.
Arsenal won’t sign them. It’s just the usual “need to sell season tickets” guff. They’ll more than likely end up with Bumtitty and Albert from the ass end of the French second division.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Kieron Tierney would be good pick up for them I think. Could probably get him for 15-20m and he needs to get down to England now. Leicester will probably sign him if Chilwell goes to Man. City.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Talking about Arsenal transfer rumours is the definition of a waste of time, it's cute AFTV still do their Transfer Daily show but I guess Robbie needs those views to pay for his hoes

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Apparently, we want Alaba and Umtiti for the summer. We would fix out defence with these 2.
I highly doubt we have any money to buy either of them, or any player cost more than 40M. Given the transfer record of late we won't get much money selling our "deadwood" either. It is a waste of time to discuss our transfer for the summer. Arsenal can't afford the transfer fee or the wages for top player in nowadays market.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

I highly doubt we have any money to buy either of them, or any player cost more than 40M. Given the transfer record of late we won't get much money selling our "deadwood" either. It is a waste of time to discuss our transfer for the summer. Arsenal can't afford the transfer fee or the wages for top player in nowadays market.
Pellegrini, Brandt, Sarabia, Fornals and Suso are all available for £30m or less.
With Ramsey, Cech, Welbeck, Jenkinson, Monreal and Lichtensteiner leaving, this should free up £500k for wages. Still stuck with Ozil (Similar to our problem with Sanchez) on £350k per week until 2021.

Elneny, Ozil, Holding ++ should be sold.
Reiss Nelson coming back after a great loan spell in Bundesliga, will be like a new signing.

If you get Luis Campos as the DoF (linked to the job among other candidates) then you might have an exciting summer ahead of you.

Charles Miller

Apparently Arsenal will sign a Brazilian winger called Gabriel Martinelli(17). He will get an Italian passport in the next weeks so i dont know how the work permit will apply. He is a very promissing prospect, one of the best of the U-17 generation and a lot of clubs are showing interest. He plays for a very small club but managed to be better than players of big clubs all the time.

Fosu-Mens

Apparently Arsenal will sign a Brazilian winger called Gabriel Martinelli(17). He will get an Italian passport in the next weeks so i dont know how the work permit will apply. He is a very promissing prospect, one of the best of the U-17 generation and a lot of clubs are showing interest. He plays for a very small club but managed to be better than players of big clubs all the time.
Based on the customary 5 min youtube compilation he looks promising. Smart movement, quick feet and decisionmaking. Might be able to contribute in the first team next season.

BergkamptoOvermars

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal won’t sign them. It’s just the usual “need to sell season tickets” guff. They’ll more than likely end up with Bumtitty and Albert from the ass end of the French second division.
Enjoy 5th/6th for another season

awop

Supports
Arsenal
I believe Holding can make it, and since we're not going to buy two 75M CB he's worth keeping around. On the other hand Chambers has never convinced me, stil has a lot of mistakes in him and going to Fulham might not have been the best idea.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Pellegrini, Brandt, Sarabia, Fornals and Suso are all available for £30m or less.
With Ramsey, Cech, Welbeck, Jenkinson, Monreal and Lichtensteiner leaving, this should free up £500k for wages. Still stuck with Ozil (Similar to our problem with Sanchez) on £350k per week until 2021.

Elneny, Ozil, Holding ++ should be sold.
Reiss Nelson coming back after a great loan spell in Bundesliga, will be like a new signing.

If you get Luis Campos as the DoF (linked to the job among other candidates) then you might have an exciting summer ahead of you.
Our squad will be paper thin after release and sell all these players.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We will keep Montreal (one more year, probably passed it already) and maybe Jenks around (maybe Wells). Holding isnt on any significant wage, cannot see him leaving. Cannot lose much else, we're already taking a hit with Ramsey leaving. We need to keep as much intact as we can.

Having said that I'd flog Mustafi to whoever wants him.

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
The usual bullshit transfer rumours out early this year, season ticket renewals must be coming up soon.
Would say this too. And as it’s happens I had an email off them Friday about whether I’d be interested in taking a season ticket for next season

ArseHat

Isn't Alaba too old?
Only 26, turning 27 in a couple of months. He’s one of those players you feel has been around forever, but is not as old as you’d think, because he debuted and became a fixture in the 1st team at such an early age for a top club. Said he was an Arsenal fan growing up, but no way this rumor goes through given the current state of the club.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Only 26, turning 27 in a couple of months. He’s one of those players you feel has been around forever, but is not as old as you’d think, because he debuted and became a fixture in the 1st team at such an early age for a top club. Said he was an Arsenal fan growing up, but no way this rumor goes through given the current state of the club.
Wow, didn't know that. I only remember Pep ousting him after 2014.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Would say this too. And as it’s happens I had an email off them Friday about whether I’d be interested in taking a season ticket for next season
We will link to Mbappe, Dembele, Varane, Couthino and Rabiot in the upcoming month. I have seen this in the past 10 years already.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Can Kos be expected to have 1 more decent year in him? We still need a CB but maybe it is not as bleak as it looked before he came back.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Can Kos be expected to have 1 more decent year in him? We still need a CB but maybe it is not as bleak as it looked before he came back.
Maybe if he wasn't made of cheese string there'd be a chance, but I think Arsenal would be fools to not want to replace him as an absolute priority. A CB & a winger first & foremost, surely.

Djemba-Djemba

When it comes to beating teams 7th-20th at home in the League they are as good as you can get. And I mean that as a compliment, they almost never slip up at home like Utd tend to.

If their away form wasn't appalling they'd be comfortably top 4.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The loaning of Suarez seems strange from an outside POV. Since bringing him in I don't think he's started one game, and he got no minutes today after apparently impressing in their recent friendly.

Wonder where he'll end up next year as I'm sure it won't be at Barcelona or Arsenal.

Josep Dowling

How over the top are Sky talking up Arsenal here. The only reason they are in third is because they haven’t had the Champions League to worry about midweek. Emery has played second string in the Europa League all season.

I haven’t seen anything this season that suggests they have progressed from the Wenger years.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Emery has played second string in the Europa League all season.

I haven’t seen anything this season that suggests they have progressed from the Wenger years.
We often played our best players, but okay.