g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsenal 2018/19

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You have him above Poch? I was laughed at for suggesting that a few months back there wasn't much between the two, but I do stick by it.
I'd say there is a massive gulf between Emery and Poch. Emery's work with Sevilla was extensive and because of the huge inequality in La Liga he had no hope in winning the league, so he did the business in Europe. He can setup up a team in many ways and is very good at making changes mid game.

He's a pragmatic manager, which for some means he's automatically shite, but we've seen with a lot of these philosophical managers that talk is cheap (ie Sarri).

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say there is a massive gulf between Emery and Poch. Emery's work with Sevilla was extensive and because of the huge inequality in La Liga he had no hope in winning the league, so he did the business in Europe. He can setup up a team in many ways and is very good at making changes mid game.

He's a pragmatic manager, which for some means he's automatically shite, but we've seen with a lot of these philosophical managers that talk is cheap (ie Sarri).
Agreed wholeheartedly. This is a good watch, & really highlights what a solid career he's had to date:

He's the same age as Pochettino, and all you can really say against Unai is that he didn't do well with PSG in Europe... But neither did Ancelotti or Tuchel, so I find it hard to criticize him too much for that.

Poch has done a good job, but for me, right now, it's Pep > Klopp > Emery > Poch > Sarri > Ole.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed wholeheartedly. This is a good watch, & really highlights what a solid career he's had to date:

He's the same age as Pochettino, and all you can really say against Unai is that he didn't do well with PSG in Europe... But neither did Ancelotti or Tuchel, so I find it hard to criticize him too much for that.

Poch has done a good job, but for me, right now, it's Pep > Klopp > Emery > Poch > Sarri > Ole.
Based on the fact he’s actually won trophies I would agree with putting Emery third. He’s going to win something at Arsenal as well if he strengthens the team, he might even win the Europa this season.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I think Emery is the 3rd best manager in the league, he has done really well to get you here. But I suspect he won't get backed and you will continue to struggle.
He won't get backed the level Pep is, thats for sure. But with our improved commercial deals kicking in, we could still be able to compete using just the clubs resources. Of course, its vital that we qualify for the CL which will hopefully propel us into a virtuous cycle. I can see Arsenal reaching Liverpool levels of performance with some astute purchases - that might still not be enough to win the league as this season is proving for Liverpool.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He got sacked at Spartak Moscow for being shit.

His league finishes with Sevilla were 5th, 5th and 7th. Had an exceptional EL record but he never managed to crack the top four of La Liga. He then lost a league to a team with a fraction of the resources and lost a tie in arguably the most embarrassing fashion in Champions League history.

He's a good coach with a penchant for winning the Europa League, but there's plenty you can say about the rest of his work. All that said, I said when he joined Arsenal I thought he would do well, and he's exceeded my expectations. Really impressive stuff so far.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

His league finishes with Sevilla were 5th, 5th and 7th. Had an exceptional EL record but he never managed to crack the top four of La Liga. He then lost a league to a team with a fraction of the resources and lost a tie in arguably the most embarrassing fashion in Champions League history.

He's a good coach with a penchant for winning the Europa League, but there's plenty you can say about the rest of his work. All that said, I said when he joined Arsenal I thought he would do well, and he's exceeded my expectations. Really impressive stuff so far.
Oh true :nervous: In hindsight, it was a pretty ridiculous move to make, but sod it, you gotta try right? I don't think his league finishes with Sevilla were too far away from where they should've been, especially as he'd not long set Valencia up as that 3rd/4th team in Spain along with Madrid x2 & Barcelona. And that 6-1 :lol: Still funny to this day.

But yeah, he's definitely doing well at Arsenal.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Oh true :nervous: In hindsight, it was a pretty ridiculous move to make, but sod it, you gotta try right? I don't think his league finishes with Sevilla were too far away from where they should've been, especially as he'd not long set Valencia up as that 3rd/4th team in Spain along with Madrid x2 & Barcelona. And that 6-1 :lol: Still funny to this day.

But yeah, he's definitely doing well at Arsenal.
His league finishes were firmly in the 'ok' category, but nothing compared to the work in the league Pochettino has done in the Premier League. But obviously that was supplemented by excellent EL showings, but then he kept getting in to the EL by being terrible and getting knocked out every season in the CL groups.

Pochettino has been far better league wise, and has reached two CL quarters with Spurs, whilst Emery is the Europa League expert meaning he actually has trophies. All depends on what you rate a coach on I guess.

At Arsenal he's genuinely surprised me, getting top four would be a big achievement over these United and Chelsea squads, getting third would be huge. Still has that horrible away record but they're a real force at the Emirates and can beat anybody.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

His league finishes with Sevilla were 5th, 5th and 7th. Had an exceptional EL record but he never managed to crack the top four of La Liga.
His league finishes were firmly in the 'ok' category, but nothing compared to the work in the league Pochettino has done in the Premier League. But obviously that was supplemented by excellent EL showings, but then he kept getting in to the EL by being terrible and getting knocked out every season in the CL groups.

Pochettino has been far better league wise, and has reached two CL quarters with Spurs, whilst Emery is the Europa League expert meaning he actually has trophies. All depends on what you rate a coach on I guess.
Emery finished 3rd three straight years with Valencia and those were seasons (2009-2012) during which Barca and Real were so dominant that everybody else in the league was playing for third.

He didn't get "knocked out every season in the CL groups" at Sevilla by any means. In two of the three years at Sevilla, they started in the Europa league. In the one year they played in the CL group stage, they played in a group with City and Juventus - not exactly a surprise that they didn't advance.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He finished 3rd three straight years with Valencia and those were seasons (2009-2012) during which Barca and Real were so dominant that everybody else in the league was playing for third.
I seem to remember Valencia having a very good team back again. 3rd seems pretty much par for the course.

I don't think any of his league work has been particularly exceptional or out of the ordinary, it's mostly his achievements in the EL which have gained him bigger opportunities.

Hatred blinds you.
Espanyol sacked Pochettino. That doesn't make him a worse or a better manager.
And anyone can see now how great those Monaco players were (Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho, Falcao, Mendy, Lemar, Moutinho, Bakayoko, Subasic...)
That Monaco side knocked out Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund to reach the CL semifinals.

I understand that most fans only care about premier league and Madrid/Barcelona but what Pochettino is doing now, is what Emery did almost 10 years ago with Valencia.
Despite selling their best players every summer(financial crisis), they were always third.
As soon as he left, Valencia became a middle table team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Poch has apparently been managing some no marks like Kane and Eriksen. Alli and Sonaldo are decent as well aren't they? I swear the way some talk about Poch it's as if he is Jesus Christ turning water into wine.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hatred blinds you.
Espanyol sacked Pochettino. That doesn't make him a worse or a better manager.
And anyone can see now how great those Monaco players were (Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho, Falcao, Mendy, Lemar, Moutinho, Bakayoko, Subasic...)
That Monaco side knocked out Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund to reach the CL semifinals.

I understand that most fans only care about premier league and Madrid/Barcelona but what Pochettino is doing now, is what Emery did almost 10 years ago with Valencia.
Despite selling their best players every summer(financial crisis), they were always third.
As soon as he left, Valencia became a middle table team.
Uh .. what? When did I say Emery was a bad manager because he got sacked at Spartak? I just pointed out he's had failures you can point to in his career.

Yeah, and then got comfortably put away by Juventus. City were not good that season and Dortmund post-Klopp are not a European force. The players you mentioned are all good, but look at the players PSG had and the resources Emery had at his disposal and tell me he should have been pipped to a title. It was a failure.

Most fans don't 'only care about the premier league' but there's more competition for top 4 spots here because Pochettino is facing Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, all of whom boast massive wage/transfer budgets significantly outstripping ours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Poch has apparently been managing some no marks like Kane and Eriksen. Alli and Sonaldo are decent as well aren't they? I swear the way some talk about Poch it's as if he is Jesus Christ turning water into wine.
Eriksen was an inconsistent talent when Poch took over, Kane a promising emerging striker, Alli was signed from the championship and Son was an inconsistent talent signed for just over 20 mill from Germany.

He's built an excellent side with a shoestring budget and has shown fantastic ability to get the best out of players, why is that a negative? He didn't sign these players as ready made world class talent.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Eriksen was an inconsistent talent when Poch took over, Kane a promising emerging striker, Alli was signed from the championship and Son was an inconsistent talent signed for just over 20 mill from Germany.

He's built an excellent side with a shoestring budget and has shown fantastic ability to get the best out of players, why is that a negative? He didn't sign these players as ready made world class talent.
Who the hell said it was a negative? Emery has done some fantastic work on a shoestring budget as well, except he actually won 3 ELs on the bounce, which completely dwarfs anything Poch has done in his career. He already got his top 4 trophies with Valencia, then he went for actual trophies unlike Poch. Bear in mind I have nothing against Poch, I would absolutely love it if you guys won the CL, a proper club unlike City and you aren't cnuts like Liverpool.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Who the hell said it was a negative? Emery has done some fantastic work on a shoestring budget as well, except he actually won 3 ELs on the bounce, which completely dwarfs anything Poch has done in his career. He already got his top 4 trophies with Valencia, then he went for actual trophies unlike Poch. Bear in mind I have nothing against Poch, I would absolutely love it if you guys won the CL, a proper club unlike City and you aren't cnuts like Liverpool.

No it doesn't. It's not the Champions League.

Poch has finished 2nd once and 3rd twice in the world's most competitive league. What do you mean he went for actual trophies? Pochettino made more progress with us in the Champions League (you know, Europe's first rate competition) than Emery ever has, even though he managed the riches of PSG. Emery might be a EL master but in the CL up against the best of the best, his Sevilla team couldn't get out of the groups, hence why they kept ending up in the EL.

Emery's work with Valencia was good but it was a long time ago, ever since then nothing at Spartak, Sevilla or PSG has been impressive league wise. He's clearly made a name for himself as a Europa League King and fair play to him for that, but the main draw of winning the Europa League is the fact that you qualify for the Champions League. Pochettino achieved that through the league and also boasts two quarter final appearances in the Europa League's bigger, much more prestigious brother.

They're both coaches on a similar level. Pochettino has the more impressive squad building and league record, but Emery has a better record in terms of cups.

passing-wind

Arsenal have done a fantastic job this season with Unai at the helm. I think he gives the opposition too much respect away from home but you can't fault their form this season. It's embarrassing that we have spent close finances to Liverpool and City within the past few seasons and we look the worst in the top 6 maybe just ahead of Chelsea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking at all the predictions pre season hardly anyone had Arsenal finishing above Spurs. Would imagine it would've been the same with the forecasts on here.

Poch has finished 2nd once and 3rd twice in the world's most competitive league. What do you mean he went for actual trophies? Pochettino made more progress with us in the Champions League (you know, Europe's first rate competition) than Emery ever has, even though he managed the riches of PSG. Emery might be a EL master but in the CL up against the best of the best, his Sevilla team couldn't get out of the groups, hence why they kept ending up in the EL.

Emery's work with Valencia was good but it was a long time ago, ever since then nothing at Spartak, Sevilla or PSG has been impressive league wise. He's clearly made a name for himself as a Europa League King and fair play to him for that, but the main draw of winning the Europa League is the fact that you qualify for the Champions League. Pochettino achieved that through the league and also boasts two quarter final appearances in the Europa League's bigger, much more prestigious brother.

They're both coaches on a similar level. Pochettino has the more impressive squad building and league record, but Emery has a better record in terms of cups.

Well, this is "my father is stronger than yours" in everything. It seems than finishing behind the best team in the history of football(Guardiola's Barclona) and Barcelona is nothing compared to 2nd once and 3rd twice in the "world's most competitive league" that Leicester won.
Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion but there is nothing anyone can do or say to convince you that the manager of other team can be better than the manager of your team in something!

We can talk about what's the meaning of building a team(Pochettino have been awesome at this), but for sure it's easier when you manage for more than 2 seasons one of the top 10 richest teams in the world. Emery only sayed at PSG for 2 seasons, and Sevilla and Valencia were selling their players very summer so the can't build anything. I would say that is even more difficult to rebuild constantly season after season and keep winning things.

When you talk about league tables and Sevilla not getting into top 4...I'm not sure you understand what kind of team Sevilla was. Sevilla's budget wast 7th, even behind Athletic or Real Sociedad budgets and pretty close to Espanyol and Villareal budgets(only 5-10 millions ahead of those teams).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well, this is "my father is stronger than yours" in everything. It seems than finishing behind the best team in the history of football(Guardiola's Barclona) and Barcelona is nothing compared to 2nd once and 3rd twice in the "world's most competitive league" that Leicester won.
Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion but there is nothing anyone can do or say to convince you that the manager of other team can be better than the manager of your team in something!

We can talk about what's the meaning of building a team(Pochettino have been awesome at this), but for sure it's easier when you manage for more than 2 seasons one of the top 10 richest teams in the world. Emery only sayed at PSG for 2 seasons, and Sevilla and Valencia were selling their players very summer so the can't build anything. I would say that is even more difficult to rebuild constantly season after season and keep winning things.

When you talk about league tables and Sevilla not getting into top 4...I'm not sure you understand what kind of team Sevilla was. Sevilla's budget wast 7th, even behind Athletic or Real Sociedad budgets and pretty close to Espanyol and Villareal budgets(only 5-10 millions ahead of those teams).

Why would finishing behind a team be considered an achievement.. ? We're finishing behind arguably the best PL side ever, does that makes us good? Weird logic. Did Emery get close to that side?

Haha, yeah one of the 10 richest sides in the world who spend as much as Stoke City! And compete against multiple far richer sides, I mean come on. Emery only stayed at PSG for two seasons for a good reason.

Ok, you seen our wage/transfer budget? Easily sixth, yet we got 2nd and 3rd twice, maybe 3 times. Sevilla and Spurs are very close in terms of our level compared to the other top sides in the league, but Poch did far more in the PL than Emery ever did in La Liga.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

The fact that you keep referencing the non-existent failures of his Sevilla squad in the CL group stage really shows your desperation to discredit his achievements. Sevilla under Emery played in the CL group stage only once and finished third in a group of death that included City, Juventus, and Gladbach.

I don't think you're even describing Poch's CL record accurately. They have been in the CL three times and its gone: didn't advance past group stage, qualified for knockouts then lost to Juve in R16, and now qualified for knockouts (only after Barcelona gifted them qualification after playing a B team in the last match since it was meaningless for them) and made the quarters. That's the record you want to trumpet?

Why would finishing behind a team be considered an achievement.. ? We're finishing behind arguably the best PL side ever, does that makes us good? Weird logic. Did Emery get close to that side?
Well, you talked first about table positions as an achievement. And you know what a table mean...just show teams in certain order. I'm sure you know the value of finishing behind or ahead of one or another team.

Haha, yeah one of the 10 richest sides in the world who spend as much as Stoke City! And compete against multiple far richer sides, I mean come on. Emery only stayed at PSG for two seasons for a good reason.

Ok, you seen our wage/transfer budget? Easily sixth, yet we got 2nd and 3rd twice, maybe 3 times. Sevilla and Spurs are very close in terms of our level compared to the other top sides in the league, but Poch did far more in the PL than Emery ever did in La Liga.
Yes, Spurs is the 6th in the premier league and Sevilla's budget was the 7th in Spain when Emery took over the club...both did a really good job in their leagues. But the global difference between clubs is really big. Just imagine Girona or Leganes bein richer than Tottenham and being able to pay sign your players, hehe.

You maybe don't like it but your team is one of the top 10 richest teams of the world, top 10 budgets in the world of football. Nothing close to Emery's Sevilla some years ago (now Sevilla is richer).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The fact that you keep referencing the non-existent failures of his Sevilla squad in the CL group stage really shows your desperation to discredit his achievements. Sevilla under Emery played in the CL group stage only once and finished third in a group of death that included City, Juventus, and Gladbach.

I don't think you're even describing Poch's CL record accurately. They have been in the CL three times and its gone: didn't advance past group stage, qualified for knockouts then lost to Juve in R16, and now qualified for knockouts (only after Barcelona gifted them qualification after playing a B team in the last match since it was meaningless for them) and made the quarters. That's the record you want to trumpet?

I'm not interested in discrediting anything, I just got mixed up with them in 14/15, chill. I said that Emery has an excellent cup record but a poor CL record, which remains true .. one exit in the groups, one knockout exit in incredibly embarrassing fashion.

Pochettino has had one bad CL showing, in his first season. Going out in a tight game vs Juventus wasn't bad at all (also topped a group ahead of Real Madrid) and now we're in a quarter final, it's a solid record for a team like Spurs. Barca gifted us qualification? Oh whatever, had the referee not chalked off a perfectly good goal vs PSV we wouldn't have needed that point vs Barcelona anyway.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well, you talked first about table positions as an achievement. And you know what a table mean...just show teams in certain order. I'm sure you know the value of finishing behind or ahead of one or another team.

Yes, Spurs is the 6th in the premier league and Sevilla's budget was the 7th in Spain when Emery took over the club...both did a really good job in their leagues. But the global difference between clubs is really big. Just imagine Girona or Leganes bein richer than Tottenham and being able to pay sign your players, hehe.

You maybe don't like it but your team is one of the top 10 richest teams of the world, top 10 budgets in the world of football. Nothing close to Emery's Sevilla some years ago (now Sevilla is richer).

There's no value in finishing behind a great team if you don't get close to them. You just happen to play in the same league as them.

Uh, our budget/spending under Pochettino is one of the lowest in the league overall, with less invested than relegated Stoke. We've very much been under constraints due to the new stadium and the spending discrepancy between us and the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United (our top 4 rivals) is greater than Sevilla's top 4 rivals.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
don't think there is even 40m available for the summer.
It's depressing. Imagine losing one of the best head scouts in Europe because he felt his job was pointless...

Arsenal need a takeover.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
At least now we know Wenger is not to blame for not spending money, as it is never there. Emery has done an amazing job as head coach given he had to field Monreal and Mustafi as LB/RB against Watford. He is doing miracle to drag this team fighting for top 4 and Europa League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised how quickly Umtiti has fallen out of favour at Barca. If he really wants to go to Arsenal they should do whatever to get him.

Mustafi is imo the worst CB at any top 6 club (yes worse than Jones and Bailly). Sokratis has been o.k but in stronger Arsenal 11s he'd be the back up CB. Monreal isn't bad but in his 30s.

Koscienly is still Arsenal's best defender, again in his 30s and gets an injury in most games.

If Arsenal want to start challenging for league titles again they need a Van Djik style signing.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Surprised how quickly Umtiti has fallen out of favour at Barca. If he really wants to go to Arsenal they should do whatever to get him.

Mustafi is imo the worst CB at any top 6 club (yes worse than Jones and Bailly). Sokratis has been o.k but in stronger Arsenal 11s he'd be the back up CB. Monreal isn't bad but in his 30s.

Koscienly is still Arsenal's best defender, again in his 30s and gets an injury in most games.

If Arsenal want to start challenging for league titles again they need a Van Djik style signing.
We have a hard time to even stay relevant for top 4. Just look at the age of our defense and we need major investment(zero chance) there or hope the young players step up quick. We don't have winger other than Iowbi, Ramsey is leaving, Ozil is also over 30. Let's hope our young players are good and ready to make the step up.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

I'm with you on Mustafi, but as good as Umtiti is, I feel they should be looking somewhere else with the injury record he has.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Don't you think it's a bit early to judge Emery?

So far I'm pleased with him - we may not make the Europa League final, let alone win it but given we have a good chance of making top 4 what realistically could you expect after 20 odd years of Wenger?

I think he's done better than I was expecting and given the amount spent on new players compared to other teams with bigger budgets, well I think he's done well, regardless.