Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I disagree. Player for player they have a better team, its that simple. We are biased as Arsenal fans, like they will be as Utd fans, but ask nearly all fans of other clubs & they will agree with Utd fans. That tells its own story.

Sometimes teams can be made better than the sum of its parts, & that's what we need to hope to achieve, but we'll still finish behind Utd, & it's not just down to the manager.

I think we are building the right way, concentrating on younger players & trying to build a team / squad that way, but it also means we need to be patient while players mature. I don't have a problem with that, as long as we see improvement, however I'm realistic, I don't expect a jump from 8th to 3rd or 2nd for example.
Arsenal have been building a young team since 2005 though and haven't really challenged for the PL title since.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Is there a genuine debate about Arsenal and our squads being close?

No chance whatsoever.

They have no one on the level of: Shaw, Varane, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and Sancho.

Auba is a busted flush. Saka is still just a kid. No midfield. Partey is overhyped. Tierney is alright. Gabriel is alright. Sold your best GK to Villa. Your two best midfielders were on loan from Madrid. You have Cedric or Bellerin at RB. 70+ Million on Pepe. Laca is finished. ESR is good. Xhaka who looked okay at the Euros is desperate to leave.

Clubs an absolute mess.

AshRK

I don't like to write any team off before the season but the arrogance arsenal fans show is funny. I saw countless bitter arsenal fans mocking varane for some weird reason. I feel for them Manchester United are still their biggest rivals and they are still stuck in early 2000s time. They are still bitter how sir alex owned wenger, still bitter we ended their unbeaten run.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have been building a young team since 2005 though and haven't really challenged for the PL title since.
It doesn't mean its not the right strategy. It's not young players exclusive, but most teams try a similar strategy to a degree, Utd have spent big money on Sancho, Wan Bissaka, James, Amad for instance to go along with Rashford, Greenwood & McTominay, Chelsea spent on guys like Havertz, Chilwell, Pulisic to add to the likes of James, Mount, Gilmour.

It's not rocket science, if you buy too much at the higher age group it tends to be big wages, past their peak & then little sell on value, which doesn't lead well to continuous squad building, especially when you are out of Europe & funds are limited. When you think we've had to do a squad revamp & we got next to nothing for Koscielny, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Luiz, Monreal, Cech, Ramsey & Welbeck, & it doesn't make it easy to rebuild when you don't get money in.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Maguire is a good guy and shows passion but makes too many defensive mistakes. In my opinion, spending that sum on him has held United back. He vastly lacks pace, which has been noticeable on countless occassions and is without the spatial awareness and required football intelligence that is crucial to be a top centrebacks (As shown marking his teammates from set plays frequently). Gets easily dribbled passed and embarrassed by opposition attackers, concedes daft fouls and recieves stupid bookings.I like his personality and ability on the ball but he is not a better defender than Holding. The latter has been held back by perrenial injuries but was ahead of Maguire at international level from their youth days.
As for Shaw, he's improved immensely for club and country but Tierney is still better at most things and has a higher ceiling.

I'm not offended it's your opinion but your mistaken. As I mentioned earlier, Arsenal's real decline has only happened under Arteta. Before with Emery, a worse squad than this one was close to top four and reached the Europa final. With the recent additions of Pepe, Tierney, Gabriel and Partey that squad should've gotten back to where they belong but instead have finished 8th in two consecutive seasons. That's predominantly on the inexperienced egotistical young manager.

Despite this Arsenal still won more cups than United recently and spent way less.
This is probably the most inaccurate analysis on Maguire I've ever seen, with a hilarious take on Shaw as the cherry on top. But this poster has proven continuously to be either blindly deluded or a comedian, and because I'm feeling nice, I'll go with the latter. Well done sir!

Amarsdd

Rumours that there might be an opening to get Odegaard back with Madrid needing money and not trusting him enough. Anything under 40M i'd take him to play alongside or rotate with ESR. Over that and maybe pushing the boat for Maddison is a better solution with proven PL goals & assists. Leicester will tear us apart though and will probably ask for 60+

Looking more and more likely that we'll go into the season with Chambers/Cedric at RB which is a bit scary :nervous:

Sambi Lokonga is better than Paul Pogba.
Just realized Odegaard is 22. I had it in my head, he was like 19. That slightly changes the perspective of his loan period last season for me.

El Presidente

This is probably the most inaccurate analysis on Maguire I've ever seen, with a hilarious take on Shaw as the cherry on top. But this poster has proven continuously to be either blindly deluded or a comedian, and because I'm feeling nice, I'll go with the latter. Well done sir!
The guy is a troll. If he doesn’t get banned I can see him achieve a Glaston status around here, although I doubt he’ll stick for long once the season starts.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Maguire is a good guy and shows passion but makes too many defensive mistakes. In my opinion, spending that sum on him has held United back. He vastly lacks pace, which has been noticeable on countless occassions and is without the spatial awareness and required football intelligence that is crucial to be a top centrebacks (As shown marking his teammates from set plays frequently). Gets easily dribbled passed and embarrassed by opposition attackers, concedes daft fouls and recieves stupid bookings.I like his personality and ability on the ball but he is not a better defender than Holding. The latter has been held back by perrenial injuries but was ahead of Maguire at international level from their youth days.
As for Shaw, he's improved immensely for club and country but Tierney is still better at most things and has a higher ceiling.

I'm not offended it's your opinion but your mistaken. As I mentioned earlier, Arsenal's real decline has only happened under Arteta. Before with Emery, a worse squad than this one was close to top four and reached the Europa final. With the recent additions of Pepe, Tierney, Gabriel and Partey that squad should've gotten back to where they belong but instead have finished 8th in two consecutive seasons. That's predominantly on the inexperienced egotistical young manager.

Despite this Arsenal still won more cups than United recently and spent way less.
I highlighted a few things just In case you guys miss the jokes. Mods, this guys deserves a tagline award of some sorts. Please stay at least until christmas ya? We promise you some fireworks. Mods please promote this guy, he is simply a must have in every arsenal thread. :lol: :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The guy is a troll. If he doesn’t get banned I can see him achieve a Glaston status around here, although I doubt he’ll stick for long once the season starts.
Glaston is subtle. This one has bolted right out of the blocks.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It's comedy gold though, needs to be posting in all Arsenal related threads.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Another closed door game today vs Watford. Next up a nice interesting game vs Chelsea on Sunday. :wenger:

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I disagree. Player for player they have a better team, its that simple. We are biased as Arsenal fans, like they will be as Utd fans, but ask nearly all fans of other clubs & they will agree with Utd fans. That tells its own story.

Sometimes teams can be made better than the sum of its parts, & that's what we need to hope to achieve, but we'll still finish behind Utd, & it's not just down to the manager.

I think we are building the right way, concentrating on younger players & trying to build a team / squad that way, but it also means we need to be patient while players mature. I don't have a problem with that, as long as we see improvement, however I'm realistic, I don't expect a jump from 8th to 3rd or 2nd for example.
Thats your opinion. Both teams have struggled in recent years. United havent won and only reached won Europa final. Whilst we're no longer a CL club. But lets agree to disagree.

Arsenal are going nowhere under Arteta next season. We're more likely to finish 10th than 3rd with this plum in charge.

Was a bad decision hounding Wenger out with no solid contingency implemented. Pains me to say, but we deserve our current state after the way some fans were acting during Arsenes last couple of seasons.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
That record isnt because of better defenders, its because Arteta puts Jose Mourinho to shame. Plus 1 goal being enough to beat your lot so the opposition close up shop since you cant trouble their goal.
Rob Holding for feck sake
Arteta had a similar stratergy in most matches theoughout last season. We only looked consistently solid in the Holding-Mari partnership and with Partey protecting them.
So Holdings been bad these last 18 months or you just saying that without regularly watching him?

cyberman

Arteta had a similar stratergy in most matches theoughout last season. We only looked consistently solid in the Holding-Mari partnership and with Partey protecting them.
So Holdings been bad these last 18 months or you just saying that without regularly watching him?
I have regularly watched and regularly laughed at your lot. Your entire side have been dogshit for 2 seasons now and Arteta parking the bus against every side he faces doesnt mean one player from your 11 man, bus parking defence is playing well.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I have regularly watched and regularly laughed at your lot. Your entire side have been dogshit for 2 seasons now and Arteta parking the bus against every side he faces doesnt mean one player from your 11 man, bus parking defence is playing well.
I agree, its been poor the last two seasons. But some players have performed well despite the manager. Just needs to sack Arteta soon as possible to get the who team performing to their potential.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They'll finish 8th again but us and United will keep him in a job by handing Arsenal 10-12 points between us.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
They'll finish 8th again but us and United will keep him in a job by handing Arsenal 10-12 points between us.
Very kind of you. Now if the other teams were as charitable we'd make top four.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think that's a bit of an exaggeration. When we switched from 3 at the back at Xmas we scored the same amount of goals as Utd almost from Xmas onwards.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nah, not this season. The gulf will be even more apparent this year. Arteta will be gone by xmas.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Still couldn't get over that mad pass from jorginho to the net. :lol: . Jorginho after passed towards goal searching for kepa where the hell are you kepaaa.Comedy gold that was.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Still couldn't get over that mad pass from jorginho to the net. :lol: .
That game didn't bother me too much, it was a borderine dead rubber.

The loss at The Emirates was the one that got me, genuinely wanted to throw up.
Nah, not this season. The gulf will be even more apparent this year. Arteta will be gone by xmas.
We'll both comfortably finish above them but for some bizzare reason they have us by the balls on head to heads.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

We'll both comfortably finish above them but for some bizzare reason they have us by the balls on head to heads.
Yeah agree, but like I said not this season. The way we're strengthening and what they're doing in the market up to now is just going to expose them even more now. I can't see them getting anything from the top 4 this season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Another defensive brainfart for Arse.

Watford with living up to their name with their kit.
I heard we're deliberately not keeping a clean sheet until Ben White plays so it looks as if he's making an impact. :wenger:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You get to see future AFTV scapegoat up close and personal. Exciting times :D
Looking forward to it. I read some stat somewhere that he has a higher aerial win percentage than Giroud & Calvert-Lewin....could that be true? I'd be surprised if that's the case.

justsomebloke

If Ben White is going to fix their defence, Aaron Ramsdale is seen as the solution in goal and no one replaces Granit Xhaka then yeah, things are not exactly looking up for them.

I don't get it with White. He's not looked anything special in the games I've seen him, and statistically he's awful. Maybe I'm missing something.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Looking forward to it. I read some stat somewhere that he has a higher aerial win percentage than Giroud & Calvert-Lewin....could that be true? I'd be surprised if that's the case.
With latest premier league rules about headers in training I doubt he will fine tune the skill any time sooner though. He wins headers but rarely directed it proper.

I can't agree with that. We went to last match against villa needed to win to ensure other team results not affected to our top 4 place especially dependant on Spurs just not looked right. Thankfully Leicester again lost their way.

justsomebloke

Bruno is a penalty merchant, Elneny showed he can be a good player and Xhaka showed in Euros how good he can be. I would put both of them instead of Penalty merchant and dab merchant.

Also not sure about Sancho, all he did was in weak league. Martinelli proved how good he can be when he was given chances. Even ESR who sort or revived Arsenal's reasons. Apart from all that Auba was played as LWF too. So you can put him instead of Sancho.
Hahahahaha! You guys.

Come on, be reasonable. There's maybe five positions where you can have a serious conversation about who has the better first choice, or agree that the options are broadly comparable - goal, the more defensive CM spot, left flank, right flank, striker. For the rest, it's not even close enough to be worth discussing.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Could be true, but he isn't a particularly dangerous aerial threat in the opposition box, though he's a pretty effective presence defending corners and freekicks in his own box.

We joke around a lot but I actually rate Abraham and I would hate the idea of him going to Arsenal. He just isn't quite good enough for Chelsea right now.

SoCross

Didn't Holding come out and say no European football is a blessing in disguise?

“With no Europe this season we’ve got no distractions or fixture congestion and can really focus on our Premier League games. I think Liverpool did the same a few years ago, and Chelsea similarly when they won the league in Antonio Conte’s first year. So it can be a blessing in disguise in some aspects. We’ve just got to think of it that way and hit the ground running.”

No excuses then this year...

justsomebloke

He does.

20-21 PL, per Fbref:

PerformanceAerial Duels
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sCrdYCrdR2CrdYFlsFldOffCrsIntTklWPKwonPKconOGRecovWonLostWon%
Tammy Abraham2020-21eng ENGFWChelsea11.60.000.000.001.901.030.430.340.170.340.090.000.004.053.362.4158.2
Olivier Giroud2020-21fr FRAFWChelsea8.30.120.000.001.930.720.720.360.480.480.000.000.004.582.413.9837.7
Dominic Calvert-Lewin2020-21eng ENGFWEverton31.90.090.000.001.161.250.600.470.160.380.060.000.003.614.484.6149.3

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What was the point of the game against Watford? Considering Watford played two nights ago, seems a bit strange that Arsenal would play them and waste potential to squeeze in another proper pre season run out?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He does.

20-21 PL, per Fbref:

PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sCrdYCrdR2CrdYFlsFldOffCrsIntTklWPKwonPKconOGRecovWonLostWon%
PerformanceAerial Duels
Tammy Abraham2020-21eng ENGFWChelsea11.60.000.000.001.901.030.430.340.170.340.090.000.004.053.362.4158.2
Olivier Giroud2020-21fr FRAFWChelsea8.30.120.000.001.930.720.720.360.480.480.000.000.004.582.413.9837.7
Dominic Calvert-Lewin2020-21eng ENGFWEverton31.90.090.000.001.161.250.600.470.160.380.060.000.003.614.484.6149.3
Hasn't Calvert Lewin partaken in a) alot more minutes on the pitch, and b) contested a lot more aerial balls? In which case these stats need to be taken with a massive load of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.