Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Article on the BBC today that they've accepted a bid for Joe Willock from Newcastle. Think this might be nother sale they live to regret it like the Martinez. Never had a proper run in the Arsenal team, but you can't argue that he must have some good potential after his spell at Newcastle. If he's not in your starting plans at Arsenal yet then surely just give him another year out on loan to keep improving, he's only 21!

As an Arsenal fan I would be fuming if you're letting a promising young player go when you still have the likes of Willian in your squad.
Willock is a difficult 1. He had a very good impact at Newcastle, however even a lot of the time they didn't start him & his impact came from the bench. In an ideal world yeah, perhaps another loan to see how he develops, but we need to raise funds & we can't seem to sell the players we want to sell.

Id like to be smart like Chelsea & include a buy back clause in some of these young players we let go, but realistically how many buy back clauses actually get taken up?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Article on the BBC today that they've accepted a bid for Joe Willock from Newcastle. Think this might be nother sale they live to regret it like the Martinez. Never had a proper run in the Arsenal team, but you can't argue that he must have some good potential after his spell at Newcastle. If he's not in your starting plans at Arsenal yet then surely just give him another year out on loan to keep improving, he's only 21!

As an Arsenal fan I would be fuming if you're letting a promising young player go when you still have the likes of Willian in your squad.
We want Maddison and Willock is the only one that will get us any money with possibly Torreira. We can't shift anybody else to save our lives.
As sad as it is to let a kid from the club go it has become a necessity. Ideally we would have let Xhaka and/or Elneny go and he'd get more minutes but we know how that went...

Sweet Square

Can't see them finishing any higher than last season. If anything I can see Arteta getting the sack before Christmas.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Can't see them finishing any higher than last season. If anything I can see Arteta getting the sack before Christmas.
Unfortunately I don't see that happening. I think for Edu and Arteta to go this season needs to be an even bigger car crash than last season.

At the moment it looks like we'll tread water. They'll do bad enough to be unsuccessful but not bad enough to lose their jobs.

Remember the geese

I don't really get to see much of Arsenal, but is Willock really any worse than Smith Rowe? The latter seems to have a rather over-inflated reputation compared to the former, who performed pretty well on loan at Newcastle from what I saw.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't really get to see much of Arsenal, but is Willock really any worse than Smith Rowe? The latter seems to have a rather over-inflated reputation compared to the former, who performed pretty well on loan at Newcastle from what I saw.
They aren't the same type of player. 1 is a more creative, attacking midfielder, the other is more a 3rd midfield runner from a bit deeper. And this is Arsenal's problem with Willock, currently he suits a 433 formation, where he can be that runner from deep & get on the end of things. Arsenal currently play 4231, expecting the number 10 to be more creative. He could perhaps be developed more, but at some point you just need to make some tough decisions.

How is Arsenal football club in such a bind financially that they can’t even spend £60m on Maddison. Jeez.
Because we are not in Europe, we've made losses for a few years now, & we've already spent £75M.

Plus the fact our squad is bloated with rubbish & we are struggling to get rid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For a team that needs lot of fix, they are moving very slow this summer. Their prioritised targets and areas are very unclear. If you look at United, even though the fans are talking about midfield but we know the manager had set winger and CB as the prioritised targets above any other areas.

Remember the geese

They aren't the same type of player. 1 is a more creative, attacking midfielder, the other is more a 3rd midfield runner from a bit deeper. And this is Arsenal's problem with Willock, currently he suits a 433 formation, where he can be that runner from deep & get on the end of things. Arsenal currently play 4231, expecting the number 10 to be more creative. He could perhaps be developed more, but at some point you just need to make some tough decisions.
Ah, I see. Cheers.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
For a team that needs lot of fix, they are moving very slow this summer. Their prioritised targets and areas are very unclear. If you look at United, even though the fans are talking about midfield but we know the manager had set winger and CB as the prioritised targets above any other areas.
Chelsea has used the strategy to wait until the window winds down to get the best deal possible. Trying to stretch every pound needs this strategy, frustrating for the fans.

SinNombre

Arsenal are trying to sell in a summer when City, Chelsea, PSG, RM are all trying to clear up their squads.

Why would you buy cast-offs from the 8th best team in England unless they are on really low wages like Willock likely is.

Why would you buy Laca when you can buy Tammy Abraham.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Chelsea has used the strategy to wait until the window winds down to get the best deal possible. Trying to stretch every pound needs this strategy, frustrating for the fans.
For a team that needs lot of fix, it's poor strategy and it's what we also used to do before this summer. This summer, we proves it that you can reduce the price without waiting until end of the window. For instance, the Varane's case. Instead of using lawyer, we use DoF (Murtough) and technical director (Fletcher) to communicate with the agent and the player. They speak to the player, convince the player, and this makes the player to have desire to leave and join us. Varane made it clear to Real that he wanted to leave and join us and Real understood. 34m plus adds on.

There are many ways to reduce the price without waiting too long. Even if you can't reduce the price, they should have the expectation of the scenario and provide solution/alternative what if they can't reduce the price. Team always given the budget and they should have work out which areas they must prioritise and can afford with the budget without including selling players. To me waiting until the window down is only for areas/positions that is not priority and they can have their full season without it.

Blood Mage

If we finish the window with just Varane and Sancho we've still done a hell of a lot better than Arsenal, and they're the ones who need to catch up to us. What are they playing at?

I can't see them finishing any higher than 8th once again.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
If we finish the window with just Varane and Sancho we've still done a hell of a lot better than Arsenal, and they're the ones who need to catch up to us. What are they playing at?
Arteta is being backed :wenger:

We literally spend about 100m (with Ramsdale) and we would have the same quality in our first 11 if we would have kept Saliba instead of signing White.

We needed a new partner for Partey - decided to keep Xhaka.
Need a new offensive midfielder - still nothing.
Need a new right back - still nothing.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Was that ever in doubt ? More rumours that we are getting Ramsdale for 25 to 30M. They must be preparing one hell of a rush towards the end of the window to waste so many ressources on him.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
30 Million for Ramsdale...

I've seen enough and the season hasn't even started. :(

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
That really is fecking bizarre. Ramsdale for big money?

:arteta:

(that should do what the :wenger: smiley does)

AshRK

Don't want to judge this soom but £30m for Ramsdale for a club who says we don't have money is such a poor business.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I'm judging.

Really, really bad business.

Especially when you think they sold Martinez for less last summer.

Blood Mage

Arteta is being backed :wenger:

We literally spend about 100m (with Ramsdale) and we would have the same quality in our first 11 if we would have kept Saliba instead of signing White.

We needed a new partner for Partey - decided to keep Xhaka.
Need a new offensive midfielder - still nothing.
Need a new right back - still nothing.
I didn't realise White cost you that much, or that you'd made two other signings. £75m spent and your squad doesn't look stronger, yikes. At least you have Torreira back I guess?

Edit: and £30m for Ramsdale?! Rough times ahead mate.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Good for Ramsdale because a third relegation in a row is now unlikely :D

But to which club will Leno go?
Letting Leno go doesn't solve the problem though. We need a backup keeper. Going big on Ramsdale makes zero sense.

We should just go get Onana for a sensible price.

AshRK

Letting Leno go doesn't solve the problem though. We need a backup keeper. Going big on Ramsdale makes zero sense.

We should just go get Onana for a sensible price.
Should keep leno for a season and sign onana for cheap. Use that £30m on a rb or another CM.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Has White played any pre season matches? How has he looked?

Blood Mage

This is the closest I've come to feeling sorry for Arsenal fans, their club is run by clowns.

AshRK

Honestly with no European football this is the best season for them to push for top 4. They may not have a worldclass squad but still feel under a better manager they could challenge for top 4 or even finish in top 4 with some luck. Feel arteta is holding them back big time.

the_cliff

Question for Arsenal fans, are the links with Ramsdale genuine ? or just twitter nonsense ?

Struggling to find a reason why you'd want to spend 30 mill on Ramsdale unless you already have a deal in place to let Leno go. If you wanted a backup keeper you had Mat Ryan on a free or Sergio Romero on a free. Why spend 30 mill on a backup keeper ?

Djemba-Djemba

Selling Martinez last summer for 20m to then go and buy Ramsdale for 30m this summer is such rank incompetence it defies belief.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I thought he was going to Lyon but it fell through. Rumours seems to suggest he is literally waiting for Arsenal to call.
Problem is that doesn't really solve the backup situation until November - though obviously he's a far better and cost-effective option than Ramsdale. Worth a punt I'd reckon - especially as you could then potentially move on Leno in the winter if he's still reluctant to extend?

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Problem is that doesn't really solve the backup situation until November - though obviously he's a far better and cost-effective option than Ramsdale. Worth a punt I'd reckon - especially as you could then potentially move on Leno in the winter if he's still reluctant to extend?
Agreed it doesn't really fix the backup situation but it is the much cheaper option and gives us time. The most sensible option would be to simply re-sign Matt Ryan. Thought he was very good for us in the games he played last season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Question for Arsenal fans, are the links with Ramsdale genuine ? or just twitter nonsense ?

Struggling to find a reason why you'd want to spend 30 mill on Ramsdale unless you already have a deal in place to let Leno go. If you wanted a backup keeper you had Mat Ryan on a free or Sergio Romero on a free. Why spend 30 mill on a backup keeper ?
It seems to be genuine. The thinking seems to be we want a home grown keeper that can be back up, but with the potential to improve & take over from Leno as first choice probably next season. If money was no object, I can sort of see the thinking. However, if we end up this season without improving midfield, especially creatively, & we've spent over £100M improving the squad but not the team, then Arteta & Edu better batten the hatches!

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
This is why I never wanted Wenger to leave straightaway. What a mess we have become and I fully expect things to get worse before we return to our normal levels.

Unacceptable what's happening at the moment.

the_cliff

Isn't Romero Granada bound?

Would've been a shrewd pick up but maybe he wants to leave England
He is Granada bound but I assumed that's because he had no other interested clubs. I'm sure if Arsenal approached he would definitely be interested.

It seems to be genuine. The thinking seems to be we want a home grown keeper that can be back up, but with the potential to improve & take over from Leno as first choice probably next season. If money was no object, I can sort of see the thinking. However, if we end up this season without improving midfield, especially creatively, & we've spent over £100M improving the squad but not the team, then Arteta & Edu better batten the hatches!
That is fair and shows forward planning, it's just I feel like that money could be better spent in other areas especially at this moment in time (similarly with DVB with us last season). I'm not a regular watcher of Arsenal but Leno has never struck me as a player needing replacing, then again there could be stuff going on behind the scenes, maybe he wants to leave in the near future. Only way the signing would make sense to me.

Why do they want Ramsdale so badly? He’s not good at all, dare I say one of the reason Sheffield Utd got relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.