Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That is fair and shows forward planning, it's just I feel like that money could be better spent in other areas especially at this moment in time (similarly with DVB with us last season). I'm not a regular watcher of Arsenal but Leno has never struck me as a player needing replacing, then again there could be stuff going on behind the scenes, maybe he wants to leave in the near future. Only way the signing would make sense to me.
Yeah, thats what my last comment eluded to. We still struggle at times with our creativity, so another attacking midfielder be it Maddison, Odegaard or even Aouar to relieve the burden on Smith-Rowe is a must. If we can afford to improve other areas & still get Ramsdale, then fair enough, if we fork out a fortune for Ramsdale & leave ourselves short elsewhere then it's a massive waste of resources.

You are correct about Leno, he's certainly not the first name on the team that needs replacing. However, he has 2 years to go in his deal, there's talk that he doesn't really want to sign a new 1, so then it starts to make a bit more sense to look for a long term option there. Anyway, latest news is that the transfer is off as Sheffield Utd & Arsenal are far apart in valuations.

Why do they want Ramsdale so badly? He’s not good at all, dare I say one of the reason Sheffield Utd got relegated.
As I said previously, we want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas. By the way, I'm not sure if there are any Sheffield Utd fans in here (if there is feel free to comment), but I don't think they would agree with your assessment of him. He had a poor start, but went on to have a strong 2nd half of the season. He is only 23 & still developing. He was player of the year at Bournemouth, player of the year at Sheffield Utd. They value him at around £30M & that's because they want to make a profit on him, & also because they think he is developing well since they signed him & will continue to develop further.

Me, I'd prefer to take the risk for a couple of months & sign Onana & try & work round homegrown some other way & make sure we have a midfielder or 2 signed.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I dreamed last night we lost 2-1 to Brentford. I'm gonna put 10 euros on it.

I've never felt so uninterested about a new season of football. Arsenal is a mess, my portuguese club started the season with a 5-1 defeat and even my local club is in shambles and because of debts will not play in the home stadium, but in a different district, so no football at the stadium.

I need a hobby.

Fussball13251

For adding squad depth the only two players I would take... Pepe and Tierney.

Arsenal will never challenge for titles until somebody else buys the club. But fans always blame the managers.

You need to buy players like Madison to win the league and to compete in the CL.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Lots of doom and gloom around Arsenal, forget top 4, that is already locked in before the season even gets under way I think. But looking at the teams in the next tier, Hammers, Leicester, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, they are easily competitive in this bracket.

I don't think they are in any worse of a position than their main rival Spurs. Who's best player doesn't even want to be there and could very well join City. Arsenal at least have a striker in PEA, if Kane goes from Spurs they have no recognised striker and the only recognised star player is Son.

I don't see them getting Maddison, is leaving Leicester for Arsenal a step up in Arsenal's current state?

WPMUFC

Forget the AFTV/clickbait title, its a pretty good set of questions around the problems at the club.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
As I said previously, we want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas. By the way, I'm not sure if there are any Sheffield Utd fans in here (if there is feel free to comment), but I don't think they would agree with your assessment of him. He had a poor start, but went on to have a strong 2nd half of the season. He is only 23 & still developing. He was player of the year at Bournemouth, player of the year at Sheffield Utd. They value him at around £30M & that's because they want to make a profit on him, & also because they think he is developing well since they signed him & will continue to develop further.
Most people seem to have a shared opinion on Ramsdale unfortunately yet most have definitely not watched him enough. He had his moments but grew stronger as the season went on. The valuation has people laughing but it’s there for a reason as you said, profit. We want to keep him but will happily allow him to go if that amount is agreed. He’s a young keeper with a lot of potential, I don’t understand the ‘banter’ around the potential transfer at all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Me, I'd prefer to take the risk for a couple of months & sign Onana & try & work round homegrown some other way & make sure we have a midfielder or 2 signed.
One of the evidence how mess you are right now under Edu, Vinai, and Arteta. Why sold Martinez if you want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas? Why thinking about it now but not planning this last year?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Most people seem to have a shared opinion on Ramsdale unfortunately yet most have definitely not watched him enough. He had his moments but grew stronger as the season went on. The valuation has people laughing but it’s there for a reason as you said, profit. We want to keep him but will happily allow him to go if that amount is agreed. He’s a young keeper with a lot of potential, I don’t understand the ‘banter’ around the potential transfer at all.
Henderson made a massive difference. He was well above his expected saves that season and he had a highlight reel of fantastic saves in games that Sheffield United got points in. Massive saves in big games that you guys won by a goal.

It took Ramsdale nearly half a season to get a clean sheet and he had some horrendous performances up until November/December time. Quality goalkeepers give confidence to their back line and he was shaky and offered none until you were basically down.

While it’s not crazy to think that someone would take a punt on a young goalkeeper, it is crazy business for Arsenal.

They might start their first PL game in less than 24 hours with Cedric and Elneny in the starting eleven. They only have one number 10 in the entire squad, and he has only played one full season in the first team.

They have much bigger issues and taking a punt on a goalkeeper relegated twice in a row, who despite being a good shot stopper, rarely has a clean sheet and had a succession of really poor performances in the early half of last season, is ridiculous.

Edu is a buffoon and him and Arteta just might ruin the club if they are allowed to continue.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
One of the evidence how mess you are right now under Edu, Vinai, and Arteta. Why sold Martinez if you want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas? Why thinking about it now but not planning this last year?
Martinez was a massive mistake in hindsight, but remember the club didn't want him to leave, Martinez pushed to leave. He wanted reassurances he was 100% first choice keeper no questions asked, he didn't want to compete with Leno at all. Remember he had basically played 8 league games & a few cup games when he made this demand. It's not like Leno had been performing poorly that season before that as well, & there was no indications the Leno wouldn't want to stay for a long time.

As for Ramsdale, there's a fear circulating around some of the executive's in football that Brexit could drive an increase in home grown quota allowances. Might be a lot of nonsense, but we have just hired a guy from the Premier League board Richard Garlick to be our Director of Football operations & then we've suddenly started to target guys like Ramsdale, White & Maddison it does make you wonder why we suddenly want to become England B or C squad.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Martinez was a massive mistake in hindsight, but remember the club didn't want him to leave, Martinez pushed to leave. He wanted reassurances he was 100% first choice keeper no questions asked, he didn't want to compete with Leno at all. Remember he had basically played 8 league games & a few cup games when he made this demand. It's not like Leno had been performing poorly that season before that as well, & there was no indications the Leno wouldn't want to stay for a long time.

As for Ramsdale, there's a fear circulating around some of the executive's in football that Brexit could drive an increase in home grown quota allowances. Might be a lot of nonsense, but we have just hired a guy from the Premier League board Richard Garlick to be our Director of Football operations & then we've suddenly started to target guys like Ramsdale, White & Maddison it does make you wonder why we suddenly want to become England B or C squad.
Mate, neither Lokonga and Tavares are English. And you decided to sell Willock who is English and are looking to sell AMN, both are young players and English. So the purpose to anticipate the increasing in home grown quota allowance becomes doesn’t make any sense. So even if it’s the purpose then why signing Lokonga and Tavares as well as sold Willock. More mistakes been made this summer just like the Martinez one?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Mate, neither Lokonga and Tavares are English. And you decided to sell Willock who is English and are looking to sell AMN, both are young players and English. So the purpose to anticipate the increasing in home grown quota allowance becomes doesn’t make any sense.
Like I said, it just been talk, I've seen it mentioned on a few places now not specifically regarding us, but it probably is a lot of rubbish. Especially as it seems we might be about to bid for Odegaard rather than Maddison.

Anyway, the Ramsdale transfer it seems won't happen as it is. Arsenal have a valuation a good bit lower than Sheffield Utd's. While I understand the interest in signing a young English keeper to maybe take the reigns going forward, I agree with everyone that says £25M-£30M is too much in the circumstances.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Like I said, it just been talk, I've seen it mentioned on a few places now not specifically regarding us, but it probably is a lot of rubbish. Especially as it seems we might be about to bid for Odegaard rather than Maddison.

Anyway, the Ramsdale transfer it seems won't happen as it is. Arsenal have a valuation a good bit lower than Sheffield Utd's. While I understand the interest in signing a young English keeper to maybe take the reigns going forward, I agree with everyone that says £25M-£30M is too much in the circumstances.
So now Arsenal don’t want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas anymore?

I think this is where I spoke about it before that Arsenal (Edu, Vinai, Arteta) don’t really know what direction they are going right now. Their transfer business are very unclear.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So now Arsenal don’t want a homegrown keeper to help with homegrown quotas anymore?

I think this is where I spoke about it before that Arsenal (Edu, Vinai, Arteta) don’t really know what direction they are going right now. Their transfer business are very unclear.
I agree, it does seem confusing, they do seem quite reactive rather than proactive. This is the message the club seems to be putting out, from the Athletic.

The most pressing priority is the need for a second goalkeeper. The number one target throughout the summer has been Sheffield United’s Aaron Ramsdale. Arteta and his coaching staff believed that Ramsdale could not only provide back-up to Bernd Leno for the forthcoming season but succeed him next summer. They admired his distribution, both with the ball in his hands and at his feet, and his bravery coming off his line for crosses — areas in which doubts over Leno persist.

Negotiations have been ongoing since the end of last season, but without much success. The clubs met at the Sopwell House hotel close to Arsenal’s training ground on Wednesday, hoping to find some common ground. Arsenal hoped Sheffield United’s willingness to meet in person indicated there would be some movement on their £35 million asking price. When Arsenal’s improved verbal offer of £20 million plus considerable add-ons was rejected out of hand, Arsenal decided to pursue other targets. Any slim hope of the deal being revived would be dependent on Sheffield United dramatically revising their position.

And so Arsenal will now look elsewhere. While Ramsdale was envisaged as a future No 1, their intention now is to secure a player regarded solely as a back-up, at a considerably lower fee — or even potentially on loan.

A few weeks ago, Arsenal staff made discreet enquiries about the availability of West Brom’s Sam Johnstone. It is unlikely, however, that they will follow up with formal interest. Johnstone does not fit the profile of goalkeeper they are looking for, and as a member of the England squad would still command a significant fee, with West Brom demanding more than £10 million.

The Athletic understands that Barcelona’s 32-year-old goalkeeper Neto is a target. The Brazilian moved to the Nou Camp from Valencia for an initial €26 million in 2019, but has made just nine La Liga appearances in his time there. Even having shed Lionel Messi, Barcelona are still working to reduce their wage bill, with president Joan Laporta admitting the club may have to sell more players in this window. In the case of Neto, who has two years remaining on his current contract, Arsenal may even be hopeful of striking a loan agreement.

Neto is represented by Kia Joorabchian, who Arsenal have also collaborated with on the signings of David Luiz, Cedric and Willian. The close relationship that exists between Joorabchian and technical director Edu could make a move for Neto expedient. Crucially, this would not be a deal driven purely by relationships — Neto has also been closely assessed by Arsenal’s analysts, and there is a consensus that this could be a sensible solution to a relatively urgent problem. While the club entered the window hoping to add a homegrown goalkeeper, the addition of White to the squad means this is less now considered a less pressing issue.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree, it does seem confusing, they do seem quite reactive rather than proactive. This is the message the club seems to be putting out, from the Athletic.

The most pressing priority is the need for a second goalkeeper. The number one target throughout the summer has been Sheffield United’s Aaron Ramsdale. Arteta and his coaching staff believed that Ramsdale could not only provide back-up to Bernd Leno for the forthcoming season but succeed him next summer. They admired his distribution, both with the ball in his hands and at his feet, and his bravery coming off his line for crosses — areas in which doubts over Leno persist.

Negotiations have been ongoing since the end of last season, but without much success. The clubs met at the Sopwell House hotel close to Arsenal’s training ground on Wednesday, hoping to find some common ground. Arsenal hoped Sheffield United’s willingness to meet in person indicated there would be some movement on their £35 million asking price. When Arsenal’s improved verbal offer of £20 million plus considerable add-ons was rejected out of hand, Arsenal decided to pursue other targets. Any slim hope of the deal being revived would be dependent on Sheffield United dramatically revising their position.

And so Arsenal will now look elsewhere. While Ramsdale was envisaged as a future No 1, their intention now is to secure a player regarded solely as a back-up, at a considerably lower fee — or even potentially on loan.

A few weeks ago, Arsenal staff made discreet enquiries about the availability of West Brom’s Sam Johnstone. It is unlikely, however, that they will follow up with formal interest. Johnstone does not fit the profile of goalkeeper they are looking for, and as a member of the England squad would still command a significant fee, with West Brom demanding more than £10 million.

The Athletic understands that Barcelona’s 32-year-old goalkeeper Neto is a target. The Brazilian moved to the Nou Camp from Valencia for an initial €26 million in 2019, but has made just nine La Liga appearances in his time there. Even having shed Lionel Messi, Barcelona are still working to reduce their wage bill, with president Joan Laporta admitting the club may have to sell more players in this window. In the case of Neto, who has two years remaining on his current contract, Arsenal may even be hopeful of striking a loan agreement.

Neto is represented by Kia Joorabchian, who Arsenal have also collaborated with on the signings of David Luiz, Cedric and Willian. The close relationship that exists between Joorabchian and technical director Edu could make a move for Neto expedient. Crucially, this would not be a deal driven purely by relationships — Neto has also been closely assessed by Arsenal’s analysts, and there is a consensus that this could be a sensible solution to a relatively urgent problem. While the club entered the window hoping to add a homegrown goalkeeper, the addition of White to the squad means this is less now considered a less pressing issue.
What a mess. From homegrown keeper to Brazilian keeper. And it remains unknown why wanting homegrown keeper but doesn’t want homegrown players from other positions.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What a mess. From homegrown keeper to Brazilian keeper. And it remains unknown why wanting homegrown keeper but doesn’t want homegrown players from other positions.
Think when you look at most teams, ideally in a squad makeup having 3 non home grown take up 3 spaces out of 17 is not really a good use of resources. Might be wrong but if you go through the clubs, is there any clubs that don't have a home grown keeper in their squad? Think they just seen Ramsdale as an opportunity to get 1 of the better young English keepers that could potentially go on to be number 1 rather than just have 1 that makes up the numbers, it's that they have a valuation & Sheffield Utd have theirs, & they are quite right if they are under no pressure to sell.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Think when you look at most teams, ideally in a squad makeup having 3 non home grown take up 3 spaces out of 17 is not really a good use of resources. Might be wrong but if you go through the clubs, is there any clubs that don't have a home grown keeper in their squad? Think they just seen Ramsdale as an opportunity to get 1 of the better young English keepers that could potentially go on to be number 1 rather than just have 1 that makes up the numbers, it's that they have a valuation & Sheffield Utd have theirs, & they are quite right if they are under no pressure to sell.
Leeds, City & Chelsea don’t have homegrown keeper in their squad, I’m sure there are more. Like I said before, there is no clear direction in Arsenal right now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They need to cut ties with Kia Jooabchian if they are ever going to do anything again. An absolute mess of a football club. Can honestly see them doing a Newcastle unless changes are made. It’s quite sad. What a team they were from 97-04. I have never feared a team quite like the Arsenal teams of the late 90s & early 2000s. Prime Wenger was an unbelievable manager.

Chief123

So what will become of Arse this season?

Is there any reason for Arse fans to be optimistic?

Will Arteta be there by the end of the season?

Will they cost us points again?

They've signed Nuno Taveres and Lokonga so far.
I think at this point most non Arsenal fans have forgotten Arsenal even exist. It’s a sad state of affairs but they are so far away. They are as meaningful as Newcastle and Burnley in the premier league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Leeds, City & Chelsea don’t have homegrown keeper in their squad, I’m sure there are more. Like I said before, there is no clear direction in Arsenal right now.
City have Scott Carson, Chelsea have Bettinelli.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think at this point most non Arsenal fans have forgotten Arsenal even exist. It’s a sad state of affairs but they are so far away. They are as meaningful as Newcastle and Burnley in the premier league.
Arsenal being as meaningful as Burnley is a perfectly balanced and reasonable point of view. Hopefully we can improve and come back !

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With all the benefit of hindsight, that Martinez to Villa deal has been such a shit deal for Arsenal. He looks like very good keeper and arguably better than Leno too, they could have had HG player starting as their #1.

Chief123

With all the benefit of hindsight, that Martinez to Villa deal has been such a shit deal for Arsenal. He looks like very good keeper and arguably better than Leno too, they could have had HG player starting as their #1.
I was baffled at the time. He looked the better keeper even back then.

Darlington Padgett

He was probably top 3 in the league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I was baffled at the time. He looked the better keeper even back then.
He was probably top 3 in the league.
Like I said, think he played 8 league games & a few FA Cup games in that spell with Leno injured. Hard to know if it was just a purple patch or not, especially considering no-one was demanding he get put in when he played in the Europa League games or was letting in 5 goals at Anfield in the league cup.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Henderson made a massive difference. He was well above his expected saves that season and he had a highlight reel of fantastic saves in games that Sheffield United got points in. Massive saves in big games that you guys won by a goal.

It took Ramsdale nearly half a season to get a clean sheet and he had some horrendous performances up until November/December time. Quality goalkeepers give confidence to their back line and he was shaky and offered none until you were basically down.

While it’s not crazy to think that someone would take a punt on a young goalkeeper, it is crazy business for Arsenal.

They might start their first PL game in less than 24 hours with Cedric and Elneny in the starting eleven. They only have one number 10 in the entire squad, and he has only played one full season in the first team.

They have much bigger issues and taking a punt on a goalkeeper relegated twice in a row, who despite being a good shot stopper, rarely has a clean sheet and had a succession of really poor performances in the early half of last season, is ridiculous.

Edu is a buffoon and him and Arteta just might ruin the club if they are allowed to continue.
It’s very harsh on Ramsdale when you consider some of the hiccups Henderson had with us too. Ramsdale wasn’t the reason both us and Bournemouth got relegated, our horrific defence and lack of creative players did that. I think a lot of people will eat their words if he makes the switch.

I do agree that they should be looking elsewhere though. For the money involved they need the finished article.

el3mel

Another season in which they will finish around 8th-10th.

They're basically a midtable club at the moment. Around the same level of Everton, nothing more.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The really crazy thing is they sold him after he got a run in their team and proved how good he was.

“Arguably” better than Leno. He is clearly better than Leno.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Keeper and defense is hardly the main problem though. How much time is Arteta going to get? He hasn't shown anything to suggest he can turn this mess around apart from 2 games in the fa cup.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Arsenal being Arsenal.

I like Bielsa’s style of defensively irresponsible attacking play better.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Easy to say that Arsenal will not be challenging for top four. I m not sure if Arteta is to blame because this is perhaps the worse that I have seen an Arsenal team even with Auba and lacazette.
Those two factors definitely knocked us back, but the ownership of Kroenke is destroying us.
Yea, like the same way Wenger was destroying you lot :lol:.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
:lol: I am so happy at what is happening to Arsenal, especially for them fans that treated Wenger with such disrespect towards the end of his reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.