Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Better win it. 5 point margin isn't a huge one for a team like City and the break will actually help City than anyone. But, hope you guys win it.

Chief123

They've played feck all tough games...

Us - They lost
Spurs - Spursy, and at home.
Liverpool - Couldn't have played them at a better time, and at home.
Chelsea

If they're still top by March then fair enough, but right now they get to convince themselves they've won the league for the next 6 weeks but the reality is they are largely untested and the real work starts after Christmas.
I mean this is a bit straw clutching mate.

They’ve played Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and only lost one. Who’s left? There’s only really Man City and possibly Newcastle who you would regard as tough fixtures.

I think they’ve played enough games to give them credit now.

There seems to be too much focus on looking at the “hard” fixtures.

What you’re forgetting is they are winning all the fixtures that they should be winning. Unlike Utd dropping points to Brentford, Brighton, Newcastle, Villa.

Even Man City dropping points to Brentford, Newcastle and Villa.

It’s not always about how you deal with the tough fixtures, it’s more important on how you deal with the other 75% of the fixtures against the lesser opponents.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't think they'll win the league but then they weren't expected to. Regardless, they're on course for an excellent season.

Dominos

Us - They lost
Chelsea

If they're still top by March then fair enough, but right now they get to convince themselves they've won the league for the next 6 weeks but the reality is they are largely untested and the real work starts after Christmas.
The mental gymnastics people play is hilarious. So in other words out of the 5 closest rivals, they've played 4 of them, and so far have played 8 away/6 home. We're literally almost at the half way stage and people are questioning their fixtures despite them being completely standard.

Maybe they've just had a good start and will probably drop to 2nd as they run out of steam.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Jesus and Saka qualify as top players in my book. I'd say even Odegaard is massively underrated after his Real stint. But yes I agree did not expect them to be genuine title contenders. Kudos to Arteta and his team so far. Long way to go though.
Saka actually isn't very good. Sancho is a much better player.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Saka actually isn't very good. Sancho is a much better player.
When a 19/20 year old puts up Sancho's numbers in the Bundesliga it makes sense that Jadon would have been more highly rated than Saka.

Dont get too arrogant just yet. Arsenal dont have the depth for such arrogance. :angel:

EDIT: In saying that, I'd rather see your lot win the league than those oil merchants.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Us - They lost
Chelsea

They’ve only dropped 5 points out of a possible 42. Doesn’t matter who you’ve played, 37/42 is a very impressive tally.

History also shows that teams on this amount of points at this stage generally end up winning the league.

Chief123

They’ve only dropped 5 points out of a possible 42. Doesn’t matter who you’ve played, 37/42 is a very impressive tally.

History also shows that teams on this amount of points at this stage generally end up winning the league.
Exactly. They’ve only got Man City out of the big 6 who they’ve not played. For arguments sake even if they lost that they’d still be top of the league! The “easy run of fixtures” argument is pretty weak right now. It was more valid about 6 games ago.

I still don’t see them winning the league or even taking it down to the last few games. That’s just me being realistic as I feel the fixture congestion we’ve had right now is nothing compared to what’s to come in the second half of the season. Coming off the back of a World Cup I think there’s going to be so many upsets and squads being tested to their limits. However City’s depth will probably see them through it. I’m not sure how Arsenal deal with needing to play the likes of Jesus and Martinelli every game.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
When a 19/20 year old puts up Sancho's numbers in the Bundesliga it makes sense that Jadon would have been more highly rated than Saka.

Dont get too arrogant just yet. Arsenal dont have the depth for such arrogance. :angel:

EDIT: In saying that, I'd rather see your lot win the league than those oil merchants.
Doesn't matter, we're pre-world cup champions.

I'm off to print out a copy of the league table and frame it

Chief123

Doesn't matter, we're pre-world cup champions.

I'm off to print out a copy of the league table and frame it
Fair play, I’d probably be doing the same but in the form of looking at the league table on the sky sports app constantly over the next month knowing full well it looks exactly the same as it did the day before and the day before that! :lol:

On a side-note, I would argue today was Arsenal’s toughest test so far from a mental aspect. It’s the first time they’ve been put in a situation where they knew it was a huge opportunity to take advantage of with regards to a title race. To come through that comfortably against a team who should have had the new manager bounce was impressive.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Us - They lost
Chelsea

I’m looking forward to Game Week 19…

“They haven’t played a single team twice, yet. They’ve played fully half of their games at home. And of all they teams they’ve faced away… they’re yet to return to any of their grounds so far this season. Bunch of cowards.”

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Us - They lost
Chelsea

Their 5 points ahead and they only haven't played City? You can't argue against what they've done. The fixture thing can't be used against them after they deservedly beat Liverpool and Chelsea and Spurs (hammered them all in performance). They aren't perfect but they are playing like title winners right now.

Mr. Robot

Arsenal are very good, the real deal. And that’s fine with me if it means City have to sweat.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
On the 'easy fixture' narrative. Are people aware Arsenal have played 8 away games and 6 homes games. While Man City have played 8 home games and 6 away games. We have conceded only 4 goals in 8 matches away from home, and three of them were at Old Trafford.

The Saliba - Gabriel partnership with Ramsdale in goal is vastly underrated. We have the best defensive record in the league in terms of clean sheets and goals conceded. Tied with Newcastle actually.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
On the 'easy fixture' narrative. Are people aware Arsenal have played 8 away games and 6 homes games. While Man City have played 8 home games and 6 away games. We have conceded only 4 goals in 8 matches away from home, and three of them were at Old Trafford.

The Saliba - Gabriel partnership with Ramsdale in goal is vastly underrated. We have the best defensive record in the league in terms of clean sheets and goals conceded. Tied with Newcastle actually.
Yep, not to mention City have only played United and Liverpool out of the traditional top 6, while we have played everyone but City (and only dropped points to Utd).

Yeh, the spine of our team Ramsdale - Saliba/Gabriel - Partey - Jesus is fantastic ATM. For many years I've felt we had too many players who are square pegs trying to fit into round holes, but Arteta/Edu have done brilliantly to get the players to suit his style, and we are now playing to everyone's strengths. Xhaka is probably the most obvious example of that. Also why I'm not too worried about Jesus's goals drying up - I don't think he was brought in with the expectation to score 20+ goals (he never did at City), but his contribution to our overall play is vital to how we play. Today again, no goal but created the first goal from a wide position.

wangyu

The more important question imo is.
Did anyone see this coming? I had a feeling last season they made progress, but this?!

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have failed to win the league last 5 times when they were on top of the table at Xmas day. It's still City's title.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
The more important question imo is.
Did anyone see this coming? I had a feeling last season they made progress, but this?!
They would have made top 4 if Partey wasn't injured. Last season at the end showed where they clearly lacked strength in depth and they fell off. Credit or Arteta and Edu for actually filling the gaps with Zinchenko and Jesus. Added to that, we can't underestimate the importance of Saliba to the spine of the team. I know a lot of people and pundits are making these claims based on past Arsenal experiences but it's clear that they've progressed as a club and as a team with Arteta. Anyone saying otherwise is clearly not being objective.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
The discipline and tactics Arsenal have is incredible. I haven’t seen this high level of tactical play for a long time.

Even our basic structure is well organised. We play with essentially 3 centre backs across the line - each one is quick and strong. I noticed despite us not being at our best, the centre backs were often camping out towards the half way line, squeezing the pitch allowing us to exert more pressure and dominate possession. Our final defender, zinchenko doesn’t even play as a left back half the time and transitions into midfield. Again not a brilliant game by his standards but our patience and persistence paid off when we finally scored.

Tactically Arteta is amazing from an Arsenal fan perspective, and the majority of the first team are his signings. However we have noticed our quality drops significantly when we have to replace members of the first team. I hope in January we strengthen with quality so we can continue to play as intended even with setbacks.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Us - No Partey
Spurs - Partey
Liverpool - Partey
Chelsea - Partey
Edited, reflecting the more relevant factor. If Partey doesn't play we look half the team. If the owners want to have even half a chance at the title they'll have to invest in a Partey backup of a similar level.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Edited, reflecting the more relevant factor. If Partey doesn't play we look half the team. If the owners want to have even half a chance at the title they'll have to invest in a Partey backup of a similar level.
Not sure who is that player that would be a ready-made replacement and available for us to have a chance to win the league this year.
The only DM linked is Danilo and he is definitely not ready, looks more like a gamble that could come good in 2 to 3 years.
They've been very quick to get rid of players but very calm about who's coming in. That's why i don't think we'll sign Mudryk either with his fee getting inflated every week.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They have done excellent job in shaping up the team, their play very aggressive game and looks like everyone is in it together.

croadyman

Pains me to say it, but Arsenal have been brilliant this season. Credit to them for sticking with Arteta and letting him build his team. Hoping with a year or 2 we can do the same with Ten Hag.
God I hope so but then you remember how inexperienced our DOF is compared to theirs and recruitment team too

croadyman

Hope they win it rather than City. Another 3 points for us, and take points off everyone else.

Then feel to collapse next season, again, please.
Yeah at least they are a proper club which makes me respect them more than City,who do Arsenal fans has made the biggest impact on this team.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah at least they are a proper club which makes me respect them more than City,who do Arsenal fans has made the biggest impact on this team.
The addition of Jesus in the summer has the biggest impact on the game play this season in my opinion, but he didn't score for 10 games so it is a bit worrying even though he is known to be not clinical.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Jesus & Saliba

Jesus even though he is not score is a headache for any team. Also currently he is the highest earner and most high profile player in the team. Him putting in such a shift makes sure everyone else does (completely opposite to Auba and Ozil). I would think he has a lot to do with uptick in form of Martinelli.

Saliba is very calm and composed at the back and he works better with Gabriel than White. Also this has allowed to shift White to RB. He has been great there in general (not great vs Wolves though)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
As the poster above said - Jesus and Saliba. I'd say Ødegaard too.

Jesus has transformed our attack. On face value over the last 10 games you'd think he's playing poorly, given he hasn't scored (which is a concern no doubt), but he brings so much more to the side than goals.

He's versatile, drops back to cover others, is a great dribbler and for someone his size he is surprisingly strong in challenges. Most importantly he makes things happen from nothing. Eg. the excellent through-ball to play in Vieira this morning, who crossed it to Ødegaard for our first. Won't come up on the stat sheet but that created the goal.

Saliba has been tremendous. I don't remember a time a young CB has come in to the EPL, adapted so quickly and been this impressive. He's got all the physical and mental tools needed to be a WC CB.

Josh 76

It’s the last 10 games where you will see them fall apart. We all know City can go and win their last 10 or so games. Can Arsenal? It’s totally different with all the pressure and expectations.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It’s the last 10 games where you will see them fall apart. We all know City can go and win their last 10 or so games. Can Arsenal? It’s totally different with all the pressure and expectations.
A couple of bad results together and you'll start seeing whether we have what it takes for top 4.

Have to say, this sure beats scrapping around in 8th-10th like we've done for the last three four seasons.

Man-United

Who's better out of Saka and Martinelli this season? Think both been worldclass when watching them.

marktan

I'll hold my hands up in saying I thought Arteta was overrated and the signings of Jesus and Zinchenko weren't great.

They're doing well and to be honest I hope it continues, I'm tired of watching City winning the league every season.

If they can open up a bigger lead when City play Chelsea and United in early Jan then I think they have an actual chance. City don't drop many points so it'll need something special.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

Are Ivan Toney and Mitrovic world class?
No they are not. I'm talking about players at the beginning of their careers like Saliba, Saka, Martinelli clearly are.The idea that they have to play in the CL to be called world class is wrong.
I mean, if you're contention is that Arsenal don't have wc players then I'll agree with you. The last title winning Arsenal team had Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Campbell. There's no one at that level in the current team, but I don't agree that you need to have played footy for 5 years to be called wc. Rooney was wc at 17, RVP was wc at 21, so was Henry.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Who's better out of Saka and Martinelli this season? Think both been worldclass when watching them.
Both are excellent and have their limitations in almost equal measure. Saka is the better player at this point in time, though I feel Martinelli has the higher ceiling. He reminds me of Cristiano R in his 2003-04 season, minus the histrionics.