Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Blood Mage

The best chance for them to win a title in so long... it's going to be beautiful when they bottle it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not really sure what you’re waffling on about but I think I’ve made my criteria quite clear.

You have a number of potentially world class players but it’s too early yet to put them in that bracket.

Trying to compare Kane and RvP is one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen considering they both actually hit the criteria I’ve suggested.
Yeah, I don't buy the too early argument. That suggests that being WC is a matter of reputation rather than performance. If they're playing brilliantly they're world class.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, I don't buy the too early argument. That suggests that being WC is a matter of reputation rather than performance. If they're playing brilliantly they're world class.
You’re wrong but entitled to your opinion.

Every in form player in the world is world class then. Right.

Chief123

:lol:

Are Ivan Toney and Mitrovic world class?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I also think it's a little too early to call Saliba world class but I do think he's been the best defender in the league this season. Keep him and Partey fit and I think you'll go all the way.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Nope. It’s performing at the top level in international and champions league football as well as a top European league. Or play 10 good games for Arsenal.
:lol:

There seems to be quite a few Arsenal fans in the Caf this season compared to the past few years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The best chance for them to win a title in so long... it's going to be beautiful when they bottle it.
If the alternative is City winning another title then I'd sooner Arsenal win it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

City are our main rivals after the scousers. It's not Arsenal.

Guy Incognito

If they win the league where will it rank in the premier league years in terms of upsets compared to Blackburn and Leicester?
Was Blackburn's title an upset? They spent a lot of money and finished 93/94 season in second place. Leicester was and will remain the biggest upset in league history given the circumstances.

Still can't see past City for the title. Saliba has been a revelation for Arsenal though, bit like when Van Dijk, Vidic, Carvalho, Dias joined their respective clubs.

JSArsenal

Why is it? We still have to play city home and away, and games at Anfield & Goodison. Season isn't even halfway yet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm honestly in shock they are where they are. I know Arteta did a good job last year for most of the year, and they had a great window... But never saw this coming. You still look at their squad and it's not like they have stars everywhere. In fact they don't have a truly "top" player anywhere. Maybe Saliba if it's not too early to say it for him. It's a good squad which you'd think a top 4 fight is their max but they're playing so well together, so you gotta give credit to Arteta.

rajds89

If they win the league where will it rank in the premier league years in terms of upsets compared to Blackburn and Leicester?
It’ll be the biggest upset because despite what the media and Arsenal fans will tell you, they just aren’t THAT good. I still expect City to come out on top though come May.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It’ll be the biggest upset because despite what the media and Arsenal fans will tell you, they just aren’t THAT good. I still expect City to come out on top though come May.
Leicester were literally 5000-1 with the bookies and in a relegation scrap the season before.

And it’s not as if Arsenal are top because City have been weak. Today was the first time City have dropped a single point at home.

An Arsenal win would be a definite upset that I’d be over the moon with, but it would be nowhere near Leicester’s achievement.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This thread is the funniest thread in the football section.

Swordsman

Well that’s a bit silly mate. You can only have 1 world class striker in the world?
Sorry.

revise to top 5 in the world for that position/role.

being judged on international level is even more silly. player like Haaland will never be world class cos Norway sucks at international level.

Chief123

No chance. Leicester upset will be the biggest upset for a long long time to the point it might never be repeated with the amount of wealth and power the big teams have.

Arsenal winning it would not even be close to Leicester’s win. Arsenal have been floating around the top 4 for many years. It would be a year where everything came together similar to how Liverpool floated around the top 6 for years and then with some fine tuning, Klopp took them to the top. Arteta has been working on Arsenal for a few years now. Of course it would be a shock, but biggest ever upset, no chance.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sorry.

being judged on international level is even more silly. player like Haaland will never be world class cos Norway sucks at international level.
He has 21 goals in 23 games at international level? I’m not sure what you’re talking about to be honest.

He’s delivering in the PL, CL and for his country.

Chief123

Sorry.

I don’t think anyone is saying that just being successful at international level makes you world class.

There is no rigid criteria to decide which player falls under “world class” as there are so many variables. For instance you may be the best striker in the world today but might not have even been in the top 10 strikers in the world 10 years ago. You might be banging in goals every game at international level but not able to replicate it at club level.

Ultimately, it’s always going to be a matter of opinion as there’s no linear criteria.

The closest way I could imagine to decide if somebody is world class is if they are able to perform at a top league level, international level and champions league level without a drop off in performance level and still able to deliver the same metrics. The problem is not every player gets the opportunity to feature on all those levels so then it comes down to personal opinions.

Swordsman

I don’t think anyone is saying that just being successful at international level makes you world class.

There is no rigid criteria to decide which player falls under “world class” as there are so many variables. For instance you may be the best striker in the world today but might not have even been in the top 10 strikers in the world 10 years ago. You might be banging in goals every game at international level but not able to replicate it at club level.

Ultimately, it’s always going to be a matter of opinion as there’s no linear criteria.

The closest way I could imagine to decide if somebody is world class is if they are able to perform at a top league level, international level and champions league level without a drop off in performance level and still able to deliver the same metrics. The problem is not every player gets the opportunity to feature on all those levels so then it comes down to personal opinions.
Reminds me of Klose. Is he world class ? I only remember he playing well for the German national team. I can't remember did he replicate the same success at club level.

As of now which united player is world class ?? hmm ? casmeiro ? varane ? Ronaldo is past tense.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Everything considered, the likeliest outcome is that Arsenal will start slipping up sooner rather than later.

City will win the league. Whether Arsenal end up 2nd or 6th is hard to say.

But if they actually end up winning the league, I'll be surprised.

Chief123

Reminds me of Klose. Is he world class ? I only remember he playing well for the German national team. I can't remember did he replicate the same success at club level.
Inzaghi would be the most unusual one for me. Scored goals at every level but I would never regard him as world class.

Swordsman

just asked my friend what's world class to him. He replied " a world class player would be somebody, who can win games himself and consistency ( at least 3 top class seasons).

TheReligion

Abusive
just asked my friend what's world class to him. He replied " a world class player would be somebody, who can win games himself and consistency ( at least 3 top class seasons).
Well if your mate says so that must be the case.

Why you obsessing over this? People have given their criteria and you don’t seem to agree. That’s fine.

Chief123

Hmm not sure that works either as it’s heavily weighted towards forwards. It’s hard for defenders and goal keepers to be world class as they can’t “win” you games.

Also, someone like Toney or Mitrovic will consistently win games for their teams but wouldn’t really be regarded as world class.

AFC NimbleThumb

They do get a little bit carried away considering it’s not even Christmas yet but they are doing well and it’s easy to get caught up in the moment.

Id suggest they just enjoy things as they are rather than trying to declare certain players world class at such an early stage.
Which is the exact reason I call them insufferable.

They’re team are doing very well but they’re players have to be the best aka how many of their players are World Class etc.

I like the fact opposition fans find this forum a safe space & think some being good content but I will never understand being an opposition fan doing as they do. When United win I don’t think, tell you what let’s head to an Arsenal forum & talk about how World Class Lisandro Martinez is. I simply do not get it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Which is the exact reason I call them insufferable.

They’re team are doing very well but they’re players have to be the best aka how many of their players are World Class etc.

I like the fact opposition fans find this forum a safe space & think some being good content but I will never understand being an opposition fan doing as they do. When United win I don’t think, tell you what let’s head to an Arsenal forum & talk about how World Class Lisandro Martinez is. I simply do not get it.
Noone asked you to get it.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm honestly in shock they are where they are. I know Arteta did a good job last year for most of the year, and they had a great window... But never saw this coming. You still look at their squad and it's not like they have stars everywhere. In fact they don't have a truly "top" player anywhere. Maybe Saliba if it's not too early to say it for him. It's a good squad which you'd think a top 4 fight is their max but they're playing so well together, so you gotta give credit to Arteta.
Jesus and Saka qualify as top players in my book. I'd say even Odegaard is massively underrated after his Real stint. But yes I agree did not expect them to be genuine title contenders. Kudos to Arteta and his team so far. Long way to go though.

YikesSchmeics

They've played feck all tough games...

Us - They lost
Spurs - Spursy, and at home.
Liverpool - Couldn't have played them at a better time, and at home.
Chelsea

If they're still top by March then fair enough, but right now they get to convince themselves they've won the league for the next 6 weeks but the reality is they are largely untested and the real work starts after Christmas.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Weve played 6 home games, 8 away games. Man City have played 8 home games, 6 away games.

SAFMUTD

I cheer for Arsenal to win it, better them than city at least arsenal is a proper club. Also they making it back to the top gives me hope.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully with the higher chance for a CL.spot next season the owner will invest further in Jan window.