Arsenal 2023/24 - Need to beat Everton plus City to drop points

mav_9me

I can't help but wonder how much better Arsenal would be if they went for Maddison instead if Havertz. I think he would have been perfect for that left no.8

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Right, arteta pressuring a ref is being a cnut, mourinho pressuring a ref is tactical behavior. Haters gonna hate, as kids say these days.
I don't think it's unfair criticism to question the morals of a manager playing a suspected serial rapist without hesitation.

I would equally criticise a TV production company who decided to use Russell Brand at the moment.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I can't help but wonder how much better Arsenal would be if they went for Maddison instead if Havertz. I think he would have been perfect for that left no.8
A lot better. I love Arteta, but paying £65m for Havertz when Maddison was going for £40m is something I can’t get my head around.

RedRocket9908

A lot better. I love Arteta, but paying £65m for Havertz when Maddison was going for £40m is something I can’t get my head around.
Its suprising that Maddison went for only £40m, Leicester should have given Dan Levy a taste of his own medicine by playing hard ball and making him overpay.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
Or honesty anyone else. Hell, I’d take Tielmans over Havertz too and he went for less than Madison

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think it's unfair criticism to question the morals of a manager playing a suspected serial rapist without hesitation.

I would equally criticise a TV production company who decided to use Russell Brand at the moment.
Right... I can see you really want to talk about managers' antics on the touchline, which is what this conversation was about:rolleyes:

Dansk

They are doing well, but they don't have the squad that says they should be doing as well as they are. That tells me they won't go the distance. They may get 2nd place again this season, but they simply don't have the means to beat the sportswashing vehicle that is City. Arsenal need to actually earn the money they spend, and must operate as a club that makes business sense. Being up against an organization whose primary goal is to mitigate the global perception of the middle-east's human rights abuses, and who are willing to break every rule and throw literally limitless money at the effort in question, this season will be a repeat of the last: City win, Arsenal followed them some distance of the way, and the other big clubs are busy recovering from various stages of disarray. This time, Liverpool are doing well enough that they will probably take third place, and then 4th and 5th will be fought for between the rest.

adkb

Right, arteta pressuring a ref is being a cnut, mourinho pressuring a ref is tactical behavior. Haters gonna hate, as kids say these days.
Pressurising the ref? By jumping around like a tit? By closing down on opposition players when they are running with the ball? Oh please. Mou, SAF and Klopp all have had their day in the sun on the touchline, but they rarely did it as often as Arteta does it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Has anyone been even remotely impressed by them? Offside saved them against United and they're getting a lot of dubious penalty decisions (they've had more penalties this season than we had all of last season and this one combined). They've invested £200m and made themselves arguably worse. Also yeah, Arteta behaves like a complete an utter twat on the touchline, far worse than any manager I've ever seen. You can't stop pretending you don't know that just because he's your manager Arsenal fans.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
In 6 matches, Arsenal was only one minute behind (against Man United).
Man City was 10 minutes behind the hole season so far.

Arsenal is ten times better (just kidding)

Arsenal control the games way better than last season. Opponents show us much more respect too, they are less open because we are not a surprise to them like last season.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Pressurising the ref? By jumping around like a tit? By closing down on opposition players when they are running with the ball? Oh please. Mou, SAF and Klopp all have had their day in the sun on the touchline, but they rarely did it as often as Arteta does it.
I'm not really interested in starting a new discussion about how often something happens. My point is they all behaved at times like dicks on the touchline, so pointing at this as the reason to dislike arteta seems a bit silly to me, that's all.

RedRocket9908

Has anyone been even remotely impressed by them? Offside saved them against United and they're getting a lot of dubious penalty decisions (they've had more penalties this season than we had all of last season and this one combined). They've invested £200m and made themselves arguably worse. Also yeah, Arteta behaves like a complete an utter twat on the touchline, far worse than any manager I've ever seen. You can't stop pretending you don't know that just because he's your manager Arsenal fans.
Man Utd have been done over by incorrect offside calls at The Emirates 3 seasons in a row now, its no wonder we hardly ever win there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I like his confidence but he just sounds very arrogant here.
His absence was certainly a big problem for Arsenal. Holding was a disaster, but it sounds so wrong when he says it about himself.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His absence was certainly a big problem for Arsenal. Holding was a disaster, but it sounds so wrong when he says it about himself.
It's a myth that Arsenal fans have tried to perpetuate, but Holding was actually fine. If you're looking to point fingers for their end of season form, Partey, Saka and Ramsdale would make a lot more sense.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Or you might have conceded more goals. Who knows.
Yep, that’s definitely a possibility. And I don’t know. Even Saliba isn’t claiming to know. I’d say it’s likely we would have conceded less had our best defender been playing.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
It's a myth that Arsenal fans have tried to perpetuate, but Holding was actually fine. If you're looking to point fingers for their end of season form, Partey, Saka and Ramsdale would make a lot more sense.
Absolutely. Arsenal fans live off the form of the first part of last season.

AshRK

So much roar about how arsenal are plagued with injuries , only to realize arteta was playing everyone.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
A “myth” we’ve “tried to perpetuate”. That’s pretty dramatic.

We dropped 6 points in 3 consecutive games in the run-in following Saliba’s (and Tomiyasu’s) injury. Games we scored 7 times in. All draws because we also conceded 7. Our defence went from being an asset to an Achilles heel overnight.

Holding wasn’t fine. He’s nowhere near the level of Saliba and we’d starting playing a high line that exacerbated his weaknesses. None of that is his fault and he’s now been sold which is best for all parties. He’s was brilliant at coming on for 10 mins as a 3rd CB to see out games, but we moved beyond that.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
So much roar about how arsenal are plagued with injuries , only to realize arteta was playing everyone.
We’re missing Timber, Partey, Trossard and Martinelli.

Rice, Saka and Vieira picked up knocks vs Spurs, but have made it.

AshRK

We’re missing Timber, Partey, Trossard and Martinelli.

Rice, Saka and Vieira picked up knocks vs Spurs, but have made it.
Have you seen injuries to chelsea or Man United or how Liverpool were plagued with Injuries last season. The way espn, other media outlets and some arsenal fans were moaning, they made it feel like everyone was injured.

You guys are fine. Even city have lost key players, so nothing new.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Have you seen injuries to chelsea or Man United or how Liverpool were plagued with Injuries last season. The way espn, other media outlets and some arsenal fans were moaning, they made it feel like everyone was injured.

You guys are fine. Even city have lost key players, so nothing new.
Yep, no arguments here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve been perpetuating it myself. I actually do believe losing Saliba and having to play Holding in so many crucial games was a huge problem for them but it wasn’t the only problem. It doesn’t for example, explain the likes of Partey, Ramsdale etc falling off a cliff, and some of their key attackers losing form when it mattered the most. The idea that losing Saliba alone cost them the title is laughable and for Saliba himself to say it is hilarious.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
No, it is not a myth. It was a domino effect. Holding does not have Saliba's pace or ball playing ability and it changed the whole way Arsenal played. Yes, some of Saka and Partey's performance level can be ascribed to pressure or burn out, but the absence of Saliba put a lot more pressure on both of them and the ball movement, ability to press and overload in the opposition end was all effected because Holding can't excel in that type of tactical approach. It exposes his weaknesses.

AshRK

Good win. Next week is a cruical game. For their sake I hope they win against City.

Pav1878

Good win. Next week is a cruical game. For their sake I hope they win against City.
I don’t! Feck Arsenal and their shite fan base. That lucky win at the emirates was enough for me to want City to win the league this year. Can’t stand Arsenal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Agreed. Hopefully we click soon.