Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
If we come up short it is because of our December run where we can look back and say we made life difficult for ourselves. You cannot expect to win all your games in the second half of the season. It's also because of City being an absolute monster.

For the second season in a row, I also feel our run in Europe cost us ultimately not only in terms of disappointment there but there was and effect on our league fixtures. We have to be better at handling our fixtures and not produce second halves like the one against Villa. It also didnt help that City got knocked out!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If we come up short it is because of our December run where we can look back and say we made life difficult for ourselves. You cannot expect to win all your games in the second half of the season. It's also because of City being an absolute monster.

For the second season in a row, I also feel our run in Europe cost us ultimately not only in terms of disappointment there but there was and effect on our league fixtures. We have to be better at handling our fixtures and not produce second halves like the one against Villa. It also didnt help that City got knocked out!
Your run in 2024 has been as good as it can realistically get. You can't win every game. You've only dropped 5 points since January I believe and 2 of them was City away. That's an unbelievable run of form, which in almost any season prior to Pep joining City would lead you to a title win. You've been in title winning form for months.

Unfortunately, as Liverpool have found, City is probably the only team in PL history where a run like that likely isn't going to be enough because they will likely match it or better it - they're currently on a run of 18 wins and 3 draws (vs Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) in their last 21 league games - post January they've only dropped 4 points vs your 5 points. Any other team in this title race with Arsenal would have been left in the dust by this post January run of results you've put together.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Your run in 2024 has been as good as it can realistically get. You can't win every game. You've only dropped 5 points since January I believe and 2 of them was City away. That's an unbelievable run of form, which in almost any season prior to Pep joining City would lead you to a title win. You've been in title winning form for months.

Unfortunately, as Liverpool have found, City is probably the only team in PL history where a run like that likely isn't going to be enough because they will likely match it or better it - they're currently on a run of 18 wins and 3 draws (vs Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) in their last 21 league games - post January they've only dropped 4 points vs your 5 points. Any other team in this title race with Arsenal would have been left in the dust by this post January run of results you've put together.
Yes, in the end whatever I think of City as a club, you cannot argue how good they are. Our 2024 league form has been superb so far. It''s important we keep it going even if we fall short in the table. If we win both, I will be hugely impressed at how well our lads did this season.

There are a few things we can develop or improve upon but even with the likely disappointed there are many things to build upon.... starting by knowing where everyone is playing next season! Edu and Arteta have to get that sorted out before the season starts. It didn't cost us too big but we escaped a couple of times at least early on.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If we do not go for a forward, we should maybe try to lure Olise over. He would provide fantastic cover I think for both Odegaard and Saka.
I highly doubt Arteta will looking for a forward with Chido Martin Obi in the academy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's a bit depressing thinking of how many good teams that took time to build will miss out on PL trophies because of the city cheats. Not thinking just about arsenal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Are we realistically less than two years away here from seeing him regularly appear? This isn't like the Wenger years imo.
Guy is 16 and still to play U21 football even, we won't be seeing him anytime soon.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Guy is 16 and still to play U21 football even, we won't be seeing him anytime soon.
I don't think he is coming in any time soon personally. We might see a couple of cameos.

We need a striker in my opinion. Havertz has done well though as of late, and is definitely more at home up front. I am not sure if he will keep his current form going. If he does, he is probably good enough. Bit of a question mark for me that one. We have not seen enough.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Gyokeres would be amazing. I'm still puzzled why no PL team went for him when he was at Coventry.

Irwin99

It's a bit depressing thinking of how many good teams that took time to build will miss out on PL trophies because of the city cheats. Not thinking just about arsenal.
Yeah, there are clubs that have missed out on European football and have been relegated because the league has been too cowardly or slow to punish a team with 115 charges of corruption. It doesn't just affect the team that finishes second place, a lot of teams are affected if the punishment was anything like what was handed to Everton and Forest with their two or three charges or whatever it was.

With a bit of luck Fulham might hold City to a draw at the weekend but it's doubtful.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Their defeat was against the team in fourth as well. So five points dropped since January, away to City (title rivals) and home to Villa (a top four side this season). They comprehensively beat us in that run. They’ve had a number of clean sheets as well. Easily the best side in the league defensively.

But that won’t be enough because…City.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
With a bit of luck Fulham might hold City to a draw at the weekend but it's doubtful.
Yeah i'm sure that will happen, they look to be training hard and fully focused on the game

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
"I don't get nervous but I'm starting to get a bit shaky, you know what I mean?!"

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think if City do give them a sniff they'll bottle it. They looked nervy towards the end, a slightly better team without make shift centre backs would have probably taken points.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think if City do give them a sniff they'll bottle it. They looked nervy towards the end, a slightly better team without make shift centre backs would have probably taken points.
Oh man I just bottled the national lottery as well. How can I not win it?

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah. They should have won today comfortably against that make shift team but were fortunate to get the points in the end.

Quite surprised tbh.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Arteta needs to just tell that team, before the Everton game, to treat it not as a possibility of winning the league (desperate) but as laying down a marker for next season, and train in the off-season like Jordan did in 1990.

And just plan to blitzkrieg the league the following season like Liverpool in 2019-20 or Bayern in 2012-13.

Going into a game against Everton with desperation doesn't work. Calm deliberation to carry this form into next season will, regardless of how the results end

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah. They should have won today comfortably against that make shift team but were fortunate to get the points in the end.

Quite surprised tbh.
I dont think we were good by a longshot but attack wise Man Utd was inept. I don't think Raya had a real shot to save. Defensively, our CBs, especially Salina bossed it. Garnacho was the one threat but he needs to improve his final ball. It's similar to Martinelli with him at the moment.

Man Utd played well in midfield but in the end did not create quality chances.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
Undeserved but I think played conservatively as too terrified at OT so many times played openly and still lost like last season

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nah. Even if Arsenal fluke a title it is always all the strong teams are in transition in that season.

Irwin99

I thought they were surprisingly poor.

A good omen though- Arsenal have beaten us 1-0 at OT in two of their last three title winning seasons. If only they didn't have to rely on Spurs now :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
I dont think we were good by a longshot but attack wise Man Utd was inept. I don't think Raya had a real shot to save. Defensively, our CBs, especially Salina bossed it. Garnacho was the one threat but he needs to improve his final ball. It's similar to Martinelli with him at the moment.

Man Utd played well in midfield but in the end did not create quality chances.
A draw was a fair result for me. You were extremely fortunate to take 3 points and only did in the end due to another one of our cocks ups at the back.

Despite the fact we didn’t have a left back on the pitch and the only fit centre half was a 36 year old Evans, I actually think if Bruno had been fit we’d of won.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal

A good omen though- Arsenal have beaten us 1-0 at OT in two of their last three title winning seasons. If only they didn't have to rely on Spurs now :lol:
If Spurs were doing for themselves, there would be little chance of it, but maybe for their arch enemy?

Irwin99

If Spurs were doing for themselves, there would be little chance of it, but maybe for their arch enemy?
As i've said before, if Villa lose tomorrow I think Spurs should be up for that City game because Villa are away to Palace on the final game of the season which is not a nice fixture at the moment.

This is Spurs we're talking about though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Spurs don't need to do anything but pray for the safety and health of the shaman they keep on retainer for games against City

The match line will read on Tuesday:

Spurs 1 - 0 City
xG: 0.01 - 6.83

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
As i've said before, if Villa lose tomorrow I think Spurs should be up for that City game because Villa are away to Palace on the final game of the season which is not a nice fixture at the moment.

This is Spurs we're talking about though.
You are right, there are always subplots going on at this time of the year. Hope Pool stops Villa, but they have been dodgy as of late as well.

Hard situation but have to think Spurs are now our best shot. Can't see City losing the title at home to WH

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
heh, was it you who was refusing to change the thread title because "they will bottle it against Spurs and United"?

We were awful. I thought it was the worst I've seen us play this season (I didn't see the loss to Fulham which most say is the worst). I don't know why. If they came out and said half the players had flu it would start to make sense. I get that we didn't seem in much danger but against that United line-up I would have expected a bit more swagger.

I am resigned to the league being done, City are in beast mode and Tottenham are rubbish. But I've been saying for a while that I really wanted us to take it to the last day. We're in with a chance of 89 points which is really impressive and shows clear progress since last season, which lots of people wanted to write off as a fluke. I do believe we are here to stay - just have to somehow topple the Ivan Drago of the Barclays.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
A draw was a fair result for me. You were extremely fortunate to take 3 points and only did in the end due to another one of our cocks ups at the back.

Despite the fact we didn’t have a left back on the pitch and the only fit centre half was a 36 year old Evans, I actually think if Bruno had been fit we’d of won.
I think we have become comfortable defending a lead away to difficult grounds (not necessarily a good thing). We have not won at OT for some time. These things do matter.

And I genuinely feel if we needed another goal we would have found it. In amy case we weren't as bad as its made out here. We could have gotten another goal had we been ruthless in front of goal.

All in all this was a fair result.
Man Utd (xG0.75) 0-1 (xG1.80) Arsenal