Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

the_cliff

Imagine Ronaldo doing a van Persie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mass suicide at the Caf.
I think if Ronaldo joined Arsenal then most of the Caf will be celebrating.

In regards do 'doing a Van Persie' by winning them the league, it would be more like 'doing an Alexis Sanchez'.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are short a striker, and there happens to be a striker with a lot of goals to his name currently available on a free transfer
Buy a striker that scores goals and does nothing else, to replace one that does everything else but scores fewer goals? Nketiah would be more suitable to Arteta's system right now than Ronaldo.

cyberman

Of course. Without him they can't do anything but don't bank on it. He may heal a lot faster than people think.
Pretty sure you can’t heal faster from a knee operation though. You can’t train around it

the_cliff

Buy a striker that scores goals and does nothing else, to replace one that does everything else but scores fewer goals? Nketiah would be more suitable to Arteta's system right now than Ronaldo.
I disagree, he doesn't even score goals anymore, well unless you get penalties.

Cloud7

He doesn't even score goals anymore. He just does nothing

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I disagree, he doesn't even score goals anymore, well unless you get penalties.
He scores goals if you feed him the ball at the right position. He scored 16 last season in a dysfunctional Utd team. But his general play is like playing with 10 men. In fact he's the prime example of why strikers like Morata and Jesus are valued inspite of their poor finishing.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Curious to see how Arteta is going to handle that, ask for reinforcement, trust Eddie, or put Martinelli upfront and promote Nelson who had very good cameos recently.

the_cliff

He scores goals if you feed him the ball at the right position. He scored 16 last season in a dysfunctional Utd team. But his general play is like playing with 10 men. In fact he's the prime example of why strikers like Morata and Jesus are valued inspite of their poor finishing.
No mate, you don't understand. Last season was last season, this season he doesn't even score goals anymore, despite having plenty of chances to do so. He's had 2 non-penalty goals all season.... That's including his appearances for Portugal.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
No mate, you don't understand. Last season was last season, this season he doesn't even score goals anymore, despite having plenty of chances to do so. He's had 2 non-penalty goals all season.... That's including his appearances for Portugal.
Okay, guess I'll have to take your word for it. Not seen him play this season. If what you say is true then its a pretty sad end to a glorious career.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Curious to see how Arteta is going to handle that, ask for reinforcement, trust Eddie, or put Martinelli upfront and promote Nelson who had very good cameos recently.
3 months, if confirmed, is a lot.
That's him missing:
West Ham / Brighton / Newcastle / Spurs / United / Everton / Brentford / City / Villa / Leicester
We don't know how ESR is going to come back; the Dubai camp will give us some clues. Before that the plan looked like Danilo+Mudryk. Unless we can find a striker on loan, Arteta will need to find a formation that works without Jesus relentless pressing.Nketiah can barely do it fully in his 15mn cameos, forget about a full game.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
We are fecked and we need quality reinforcements. Jesus is one of our best players, goonerinpeace is deluded and constantly overhypes the Arsenal team and gaslights fans on this forum.

Nketiah is not good enough as a stand in replacement to maintain 1st position :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
League title is gone now, if Qatar didn't get the WC it'd be in the summer and Arsenal might have won the league.

No way can they win without Jesus

awop

Supports
Arsenal
League title is gone now, if Qatar didn't get the WC it'd be in the summer and Arsenal might have won the league.

No way can they win without Jesus
It's just unlucky, it was known from the start he would only play a few minutes and the dead 3rd game. He played 80/85 min of every game for Arsenal and was supposedly already feeling discomfort in his knee. One bad contact and it went. Could have happened against anyone. At least we can chalk off one month out of the three until the WC ends.

Chief123

Imagine Ronaldo doing a van Persie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mass suicide at the Caf.
Suicide?

It would be absolutely amazing news if Ronaldo went to Arsenal. I would love to see it. Would also love to hear Piers views at the end of the season when he’s seen what he’s actually like on the pitch rather than basing his opinion on YouTube videos from 10 years ago.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
We are fecked and we need quality reinforcements. Jesus is one of our best players, goonerinpeace is deluded and constantly overhypes the Arsenal team and gaslights fans on this forum.

Nketiah is not good enough as a stand in replacement to maintain 1st position :lol:
When have I overhyped the team?

When I say Saka, Martinelli, Saliba, Odegaard are among the best young players in the world.........its because they literally are.

Im used to negative perceptions toward Arsenal. People not rating Arteta as a manager, Gabriel as a centre half. Ben White as a defender, Ramsdale as a keeper. Nketiah isnt as good as Jesus of course, but anyone who says he isnt a good player is again missing the mark on Arsenal.

We also 'wont rely' on Nketiah. The team is stacked with attacking talent and we are gaining Smith Rowe back form injury. We also appear to be in for Mudaryk. So hypothetically we could have Xhaka, Odegaard, Vieira, Saka, Martinelli, Smith Rowe, Mudaryk, as goal threats yet for some reason we are being told we will need to rely on Nketiah. We dont even rely on Jesus for goals. The irony is Nketiah could actually be more prolific than Jesus with a run of games. When Arteta finally dropped Lacazette at the back end of last season, Nketiah went on to score 5 goals in the last 8 games he started in.

Do people really believe come the game against West Ham that Arsenal will just be barren and shot upfront just because Jesus isnt playing? This is pure copium from the Arsenal naysayers.

We are so much more than Gabriel Jesus. The real strength in the team is the defensive axis of Ramsdale-Saliba-Gabriel-Partey, with our brilliant double options at fullback White/Tomiyasu & Zinchenko/Tierney.

FFS if Jesus is what catapulted us from our level of performance last season to our current level of performance, he has to be the best player in the world. As how many other players could turn failed champions league candidates into a team that takes 37 points from 42. Ill say it again, this Arsenal is so much more than Jesus. Furthermore, Arteta is a manager ahead of the curve and he will deal with this setback efficiently.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Don't think it would impact them a lot
He's not prolific but the way he plays is crucial for the way Arsenal play. It's why you don't see many Arsenal fans getting on his back about his lack of goals. I think this is more impactful than losing Martinelli for example.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We've got 3 friendlies coming up, before having to play West Ham, Brighton, and then Newcastle a couple of days into January.

That's a good half dozen games that Nketiah will play and we can assess how it's going, before deciding whether he needs to change it up by perhaps putting Martinelli there or if we need to go into the market and sign someone else.

Even if Nketiah does well, if Jesus is out for 3 months, it's still a big ask for Nketiah to play twice a week into January and February, so you'd imagine some sort of contingency needs to happen regardless. Not sure if even recalling Balogun who is doing ok in France would be enough.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
When have I overhyped the team?

When I say Saka, Martinelli, Saliba, Odegaard are among the best young players in the world.........its because they literally are.

Im used to negative perceptions toward Arsenal. People not rating Arteta as a manager, Gabriel as a centre half. Ben White as a defender, Ramsdale as a keeper. Nketiah isnt as good as Jesus of course, but anyone who says he isnt a good player is again missing the mark on Arsenal.

We also 'wont rely' on Nketiah. The team is stacked with attacking talent and we are gaining Smith Rowe back form injury. We also appear to be in for Mudaryk. So hypothetically we could have Xhaka, Odegaard, Vieira, Saka, Martinelli, Smith Rowe, Mudaryk, as goal threats yet for some reason we are being told we will need to rely on Nketiah. We dont even rely on Jesus for goals. The irony is Nketiah could actually be more prolific than Jesus with a run of games. When Arteta finally dropped Lacazette at the back end of last season, Nketiah went on to score 5 goals in the last 8 games he started in.

Do people really believe come the game against West Ham that Arsenal will just be barren and shot upfront just because Jesus isnt playing? This is pure copium from the Arsenal naysayers.

We are so much more than Gabriel Jesus. The real strength in the team is the defensive axis of Ramsdale-Saliba-Gabriel-Partey, with our brilliant double options at fullback White/Tomiyasu & Zinchenko/Tierney.

FFS if Jesus is what catapulted us from our level of performance last season to our current level of performance, he has to be the best player in the world. As how many other players could turn failed champions league candidates into a team that takes 37 points from 42. Ill say it again, this Arsenal is so much more than Jesus. Furthermore, Arteta is a manager ahead of the curve and he will deal with this setback efficiently.
yes they are some of the best young players in the world. But they are still not the complete package - it’s the same group of players that lacked the mental attributes to secure top 4 last season. The odds are still stacked against them in securing top place.

You also conveniently left out Nketiah from your list which signifies that he isn’t on the same pedestal as the others. Simply stating that others will score around him isn’t good enough. Jesus is one of the best players on the team, he does everything but score, i don’t think Nketiah can suddenly perform on par with 5x premier league winner Jesus.

Losing Jesus for a few months is a step down in quality for the first XI, he is our second biggest loss after Partey.
With Jesus in the squad our average goals per game is 2.4. Without him , last season at least it’s 1.6 goals per game.

It’s pretty obvious we function worse overall when our two keys players (Jesus and Partey) are not in the team. Our defence is excellent but we are fragile without versatile options up front. There is a reason why our Jan transfer window features players who can replace the two options I mentioned above.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
He's not prolific but the way he plays is crucial for the way Arsenal play. It's why you don't see many Arsenal fans getting on his back about his lack of goals. I think this is more impactful than losing Martinelli for example.
The point is Arsenal are much more than Jesus. I find it ridiculous people believe Arsenal will drop off significantly with one players absence. Its insulting to Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, White, Ramsdale, Gabriel, Tierney, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu. We are also getting Smith Rowe back into the team.

Another thing is people are underrating Nketiah. Yes he isnt as good as Jesus, but Nketiah will score goals and contribute

Anyone who thinks Nketiah will blunt Arsenals attack, wont contribute in the build up play and will offer nothing as a striker are going to be in for a shock. Arteta who has proven to be a great judge of player in the past two seasons, didnt give him 5 year 100k contract for nothing.

cyberman

Rumours going around now that there’s as much chance of several months as there is of 3

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Rumours going around now that there’s as much chance of several months as there is of 3
He had his op yesterday. Not confirmed what 1 he had but these are timelines op dependent.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He had his op yesterday. Not confirmed what 1 he had but these are timelines op dependent.

Will Arsenal dip into the market in January?

It's always awkward when one of your main players gets a serious injury right around the transfer market because you're tempted to get in a replacement but who do you get? Arsenal fans I know are asking for players like Gakpo and Vlahovic but then what do you do when Jesus is back again? Sticking with Nketiah seems like a risk to me, but a Callum Wilson type of signing might be what Arsenal need.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Will Arsenal dip into the market in January?

It's always awkward when one of your main players gets a serious injury right around the transfer market because you're tempted to get in a replacement but who do you get? Arsenal fans I know are asking for players like Gakpo and Vlahovic but then what do you do when Jesus is back again? Sticking with Nketiah seems like a risk to me, but a Callum Wilson type of signing might be what Arsenal need.
It's a tough call. I think if we were to dip into the market January, I think Mudryk and Danilo (wide player and centre midfield) might have been the 2 most likely options pre Jesus injury.

The market for centre forwards isn't great in general just now, never mind in January. However, having Nketiah as the only recognised centre forward is a massive risk with all the games coming up, never mind if you think he's actually good enough.

As Donaldo has just said, perhaps there's an option to recall Balogun who has been doing well out on loan, but even he is quite young and raw.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I'd imagine they'll use the x3 friendlies and first few league games until the start of January to assess how Eddie is doing then make a decision from there.

Last edited:

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Get Balogun back.
Seems counter productive to recall him from what is currently a successful loan to play against Brighton in the cup and then sit on the bench for months.
The only question is do we sign someone to play instead of Nketiah and i don't think we will. It will probably be a scoring winger and hope ESR can rejoin with no setbacks to chip in a few goals here and there. I think it's more important to stick to the main plan of covering for Saka/Partey. Realistically speaking, blowing x millions on another striker and alienate Nketiah won't get us that closer to keeping City off the title. If a loan opportunity appear though we should absolutely do it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Had to share this, we played Lyon this afternoon in Dubai, and won 3-0. However, the highlight was the penalty shoot out at the end, penalties that would make Japan and Spain feel good about themselves. But the very worst was saved until last, with 1 of the worst Panenka attempts I've ever seen. It beats the missed Panenka attempt from 1 of our lads a few penalties before. :D

TheReligion

Abusive
No idea.

The whole nature of the situation indicates it must be a pretty serious personal matter.
Club said something along the lines that they were thinking of him and the family, for what that's worth.
Read reports that White had struggled to integrate with the squad and had a furious row with staff prior to the USA game which was why he was sent home.

Seems an unusual one?

awop

Supports
Arsenal

The 200k figure is probably fully loaded with bonuses and don't represent basic pay. Saliba's should be a bit lower. Saka closer to 250 so a massive investment in those 3 kids.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Worth it, he'll be one of the best wingers in the league in the next season or so - he's like if Tevez was a winger, grafter but also has freakishly good technical ability. I'm struggling to think of many better than him this season to be honest. He does deserve to be on more than Saka based on performances but that's another debate.

awop

Supports
Arsenal

Some serious twerking from Mudryk tonight.
40M€ + 25M€ (bonuses) is the first bid and it already looks to me that we're overpaying. I hope i'm wrong but have a bad feeling.
Impressive that every time Arteta goes to the US to meet the Kroenke he comes back with 100M in his bags :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So erm, is Arsenal going to win the league? They seem very un-Arsenal like this season. Everytime I think they will begin to slip (going 0-1 down yesterday for instance) they now suddenly manage to get back in the game and win comfortably.

I actually vastly prefer Arsenal to Pool, City and Chelsea (I suppose the caf doens't?) so I like it :wenger:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
So erm, is Arsenal going to win the league? They seem very un-Arsenal like this season. Everytime I think they will begin to slip (going 0-1 down yesterday for instance) they now suddenly manage to get back in the game and win comfortably.

I actually vastly prefer Arsenal to Pool, City and Chelsea (I suppose the caf doens't?) so I like it :wenger:
Nope.

We're in a great place to book top 4 early, that's about it.