Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm really starting to wonder if they can do it now. They've played well in every match this season and I see no signs, aside from the United game, that opponents are starting to work them out yet.

They've got Brighton (A), Newcastle (H), Spurs (A) & United (H) before the end of Jan. If they can get through that with 9 or more points then it might be time to make them favourites

K Stand Knut

I'm really starting to wonder if they can do it now. They've played well in every match this season and I see no signs, aside from the United game, that opponents are starting to work them out yet.

They've got Brighton (A), Newcastle (H), Spurs (A) & United (H) before the end of Jan. If they can get through that with 9 or more points then it might be time to make them favourites
Whilst this is a fair idea, as long as they stay in i the FA Cup and the EL, time will start to catch up on them.

city will stay in their coattails and IF Arsenal resist them in the games against them, then we’ll make them favourites.

I would predict that Arsenal will lose at least 4 games before the end of the season. Two of those will be against city and will ultimately mean they finish 2nd or 3rd.

Which will be an achievement in itself but they will not win the title and won’t be favourites until the end of April when they are 7 points clear

ZainCRse7en

They’ve been fortunate to have a kind fixture list. The next few months will be telling. Lets see if they will collapse just like they did last season when they bottled top four. Heck, I still wouldn’t dismiss us finishing above them this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They’ve been fortunate to have a kind fixture list. The next few months will be telling. Lets see if they will collapse just like they did last season when they bottled top four. Heck, I still wouldn’t dismiss us finishing above them this season.
That excuse doesn’t really work anymore. I could understand saying this 5-10 games into the season. They’ve played damn near half the league now and I think it’s time to just give credit where credit is due.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That excuse doesn’t really work anymore. I could understand saying this 5-10 games into the season. They’ve played damn near half the league now and I think it’s time to just give credit where credit is due.
They are good value for the money. But I think City will eventually get there. Arsenal would comfortably finish second and that would be a brilliant season for them.

mu4c_20le

They had the easiest start to the season which helped build confidence and momentum to go on a run. That is a fact.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They had the easiest start to the season which helped build confidence and momentum to go on a run. That is a fact.
Is that not an opinion rather than fact? And what is an easy fixture? Palace away? Brentford away? Utd away?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Nope.

We're in a great place to book top 4 early, that's about it.
Agreed, most didn't even have you in the top 4 so you've put yourselves in a great position to exceed expectations already.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We're one long term Partey injury away from finishing out of the top four much less the title. City have proved that they can win matches with multiple players missing, we haven't.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I actually vastly prefer Arsenal to Pool, City and Chelsea (I suppose the caf doens't?) so I like it :wenger:
Same boat. They are playing great football, built the team in a right way and it's an easy choice between them and three other cnuts of a club.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
We're one long term Partey injury away from finishing out of the top four much less the title.
Agreed, least cover there by a country mile.

A short term injury will derail a title challenge, a long term one will derail your season.

CM

It depends what you're talking about. I think there's quite a fair degree of fortune to them being top of the league. Usually there would've been a lot more club football played than there has been this season, with the postponements with the Queen and the mid-season World Cup. They're also pretty fortunate their fixture with City was one of the ones pushed back.

They've still done well to be in the position they are and will almost certainly get Champions League qualification for next season, which is big for them. I'm still skeptical about them once they have to contend with the usual fixture congestion, they've got quite a thin squad and have always struggled with playing multiple games in a week under Arteta.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We're one long term Partey injury away from finishing out of the top four much less the title. City have proved that they can win matches with multiple players missing, we haven't.
I very much take your point on Partey. On the top 4 race, we are on 40 points after 15 games. We need 30 points from 23 games to get to the 70 point mark. Surely even we couldn't feck that up?! :wenger:

dove

Why is it so hard for some to admit that Arsenal look really good this season? Of course it's still a long way to go and there is every possibility of them collapsing in a typical Arsenal fashion but they deserve a massive credit, they have pretty much guaranteed a TOP 4 spot before New Year and still have a very good momentum.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Who in your opinion had the easiest start in the top 6
On paper us, but my point is I don't like judging games as 'easy games' in this league. Palace away, Brentford away, games we lost last season so had some demons to lay for instance. Spurs, Utd, Chelsea and City haven't beaten Brentford this season. Fulham another easy game that has given the top teams a hard time.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I very much take your point on Partey. On the top 4 race, we are on 40 points after 15 games. We need 30 points from 23 games to get to the 70 point mark. Surely even we couldn't feck that up?! :wenger:
With our luck, top four will close at 80 points instead of the 70 of an average season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nope.

We're in a great place to book top 4 early, that's about it.
As per Arteta's own words we are ahead of schedule. It seems like we can get a top 4 spot this season and that's about it. Anything extra is icing on the cake.

BlueHaze

Fecking hate Arsenal scum to bits and even so I'd still take them winning ahead of city or those scummy scousers. Especially this year when city went and got haaland and everyone said they are gonna win the quadruple....

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
How long are you going to have to keep saying that? :lol:

We've already played 15 games, almost every premier league team. We've played Brentford away and dispatched them with ease in a 3-0 win. Man Utd lost 4-0 to them, City lost 2-1 at home and both Chelsea and Tottenham dropped points. Are they considered an easy team?

Who in your opinion had the easiest start in the top 6
Man City. They've played 6 away games while we've already played 8 away games. They also haven't played Chelsea or Tottenham yet.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

I expect us to drop a few points in these games and get sucked into a battle for 2nd/3rd. You could already see how much we missed Jesus in the first half yesterday even though we won. Even though he doesn't score as much as he should he's menace to opposition teams with his constant pressing, dribbling, and movement off the ball. Nketiah is not on the same level.

Arteta has done an amazing job getting us to the position he has, but we still need time to build our squad depth before seriously considering ourselves title challengers.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I expect us to drop a few points in these games and get sucked into a battle for 2nd/3rd. You could already see how much we missed Jesus in the first half yesterday even though we won. Even though he doesn't score as much as he should he's menace to opposition teams with his constant pressing, dribbling, and movement off the ball. Nketiah is not on the same level.

Arteta has done an amazing job getting us to the position he has, but we still need time to build our squad depth before seriously considering ourselves title challengers.
I suppose I have a slightly different perspective as a neutral, and yes I agree the most likely outcome is that City will be too strong over a full season.

There's something to be said though for the consistency in performance that you lot are putting in. It's quite rare. I've watched probably 90% of your matches this season and you've ranged from good to very good every single game. Even yesterday it was obvious that you'd come through it and win the game.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
now you've gone and jinxed it...

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
Was great to see us go behind, but stick to our game plan and tear them apart in the second half.

I don't think we've hit top gear yet.

For the first time since 2006 I have hope for a successful season which leads to greater things.

City will catch us, but no shame in a top 3 finish to build on. Our squad is very young.

On another note - Newcastle are absolutely flying as well. The usual top 4 contenders are about to be given a shake up and that's refreshing.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
now you've gone and jinxed it...
Yeah, I know I shouldn't. To put it into context, during our 'collapse' at the end of last season, last 6 games we got 1.5 points per game. We'd need 1.3 points per game to hit 70 points from now. 1.5 points per game would take us to nearly 75 points.

Yeah, I'm going to stop now. Let's just focus on next game which will be tough enough! We have a poor record at Brighton, actually against Brighton in general.

Ludens the Red

That West Ham game was weird. They were so shit in the first half and so so good in the second. It’s a shame their fanbase is made up of arrogant tossers, otherwise you’d be quite happy to back them over city. Instead you just feel indifferent to it all.

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
That West Ham game was weird. They were so shit in the first half and so so good in the second. It’s a shame their fanbase is made up of arrogant tossers, otherwise you’d be quite happy to back them over city. Instead you just feel indifferent to it all.
Every fan base has arrogant tossers don't they?

What you're saying reeks of jealousy.

The largest majority of arsenal fans I speak to are shit scared we're going to capitulate at any given moment, and be made a meme again.

I'd say stop associating yourself with the current group of fans you're with, sounds toxic as.

Thiagoal

Arsenal’s bench yesterday was very poor and you feel if a couple of injuries come their level would drop off considerably! However, the same sorts of comments were made about Leicester City and they managed to keep everyone fit and momentum took them to the title!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
They do seem to have a great deal more resilience, grit and self-belief this time. I still can't envisage them winning the title, but I'd love to see them pulling it off.

As someone who grew up watching the Premier League when Utd and Arsenal were the top 2 and loving that era, their battles etc., I'd love to see a scenario to the two of them are the main title contenders again (I much prefer to 2 of them over the other members of the 'big 6').

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
If Partey is the difference between what we are this season, and what we were last season, he has to be considered the best player in the league. How could he not be if thats the difference he makes. Name another player in the league with that influence on their team's fortunes?

The team is so much more than one player. Even when Jesus got injured people were with a straight face asking if this 'was the end of Arsenals season'. Not appreciating Arsenals attack also features Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard, all of which were influential in keeping the goals flowing against West Ham. There was also the ignorance to Nketiah, who is actually a good player who is improving on a constant basis. Nketiah is actually a better finisher than Jesus and will show more lethality Infront of goal. Whilst Jesus injury is a blow, Arsenal will move on. If we get Nketiah the ball inside the box he is going to threaten the opposition oal. When he pulled than turn and finish i laughed because I knew rival fans who thought Nketiah was rubbish would be shell shocked at the quality of movement and cfinish. 'Eddie Nketiah, I thought he wouldnt even trap a football, whats he doing scoring goals like that' they must have though. It wouldbt surprise me if Nketiah makes a habit of scoring in Jesus's absence.

Top 4 is banked. There are two places left and Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle are fighting for them

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
If Partey is the difference between what we are this season, and what we were last season, he has to be considered the best player in the league. How could he not be if thats the difference he makes. Name another player in the league with that influence on their team's fortunes?

The team is so much more than one player. Even when Jesus got injured people were with a straight face asking if this 'was the end of Arsenals season'. Not appreciating Arsenals attack also features Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard, all of which were influential in keeping the goals flowing against West Ham. There was also the ignorance to Nketiah, who is actually a good player who is improving on a constant basis. Nketiah is actually a better finisher than Jesus and will show more lethality Infront of goal. Whilst Jesus injury is a blow, Arsenal will move on. If we get Nketiah the ball inside the box he is going to threaten the opposition oal. When he pulled than turn and finish i laughed because I knew rival fans who thought Nketiah was rubbish would be shell shocked at the quality of movement and cfinish. 'Eddie Nketiah, I thought he wouldnt even trap a football, whats he doing scoring goals like that' they must have though. It wouldbt surprise me if Nketiah makes a habit of scoring in Jesus's absence.

Top 4 is banked. There are two places left and Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle are fighting for them
You know what the best thing has been. The feeling at the stadium that we are watching a brilliant team, not a team capable of brilliant moments. This is the first time I’ve felt such confidence for 18 years. Back in the invincibles days we’d get a player sent off or go a goal down at highbury and teams would still be frightened of us. On Monday west ham scored and looked scared of the onslaught that’s coming. Not one person in the stands looked worried at half time that we are losing , had a World Cup break, and no Jesus. When we conceded we were straight up giving the players more support . For years you’d hear a pin drop and groans everywhere after another calamity. This time it’s different. Don’t care if we win the league or not. We are watching a brilliant football team again, and I can’t wait till the next match.

Reactions: oates

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You know what the best thing has been. The feeling at the stadium that we are watching a brilliant team, not a team capable of brilliant moments. This is the first time I’ve felt such confidence for 18 years. Back in the invincibles days we’d get a player sent off or go a goal down at highbury and teams would still be frightened of us. On Monday west ham scored and looked scared of the onslaught that’s coming. Not one person in the stands looked worried at half time that we are losing , had a World Cup break, and no Jesus. When we conceded we were straight up giving the players more support . For years you’d hear a pin drop and groans everywhere after another calamity. This time it’s different. Don’t care if we win the league or not. We are watching a brilliant football team again, and I can’t wait till the next match.
The next few games, I reckon we've got maybe 5 hard competitors up to the end of February including United, which are going to tell the story of this season. I agree we're watching a different team and Arteta has brought in motivation, tactics and confidence but we've see this before. Very conscious of jinxing it all!

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
This must be some magical fixture the list to be responsible for us being 7 points clear after 15 games.