Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It's certainly up there with that Fulham nutter.

I hope we start singing YAWN for Arteta every game now.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Granit Xhaka BOMBSHELL as investigators probing Arsenal star's suspicious booking against Leeds in December are told of a possible criminal conspiracy involving the Albanian mafia
  • FA inquiry into Granit Xhaka's booking was passed on to National Crime Agency
  • FA's investigation was triggered by suspicious betting patterns that emerged
  • Xhaka was booked by referee Andre Marriner for time-wasting in Arsenal win
  • Evidence discovered of sums being wagered in cryptocurrency in markets

First Thomas Partey and now... et tu Granit?

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Granit Xhaka BOMBSHELL as investigators probing Arsenal star's suspicious booking against Leeds in December are told of a possible criminal conspiracy involving the Albanian mafia
  • FA inquiry into Granit Xhaka's booking was passed on to National Crime Agency
  • FA's investigation was triggered by suspicious betting patterns that emerged
  • Xhaka was booked by referee Andre Marriner for time-wasting in Arsenal win
  • Evidence discovered of sums being wagered in cryptocurrency in markets

First Thomas Partey and now... et tu Granit?
From reading it it looks like they're more looking at the refs than Xhaka

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Hope everyone is doing great today and resisting the urge to laugh at United's current erm "issues".
In the meantime, after the very short rumor of Guedes, and the pretty much impossible case of Moussa Diaby, this morning is about Yeremy Pino:

Arsenal and Liverpool interested. Supposedly bid 40M, they want 60, release clause is 80M.
At 40M he would be a Vieira-esque punt, but 50/60 and it starts getting a bit much even though we absolutely need cover with EL starting soon.

Still no sign of a CM signing to really cover for Xhaka/Partey. Very worrying when they are both likely to get sent off, injured or unable to play...
Bellerin should be leaving to Betis this week and Mari to wherever in Italy. Pepe/Nelsson will probably ride along this season and play in the cups.
Hopefully Edu and Arteta manage to overcome the complicated US timezone obstacle and deliver one (or 2) last pieces to the squad. ;)

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Hope everyone is doing great today and resisting the urge to laugh at United's current erm "issues".
In the meantime, after the very short rumor of Guedes, and the pretty much impossible case of Moussa Diaby, this morning is about Yeremy Pino:

Arsenal and Liverpool interested. Supposedly bid 40M, they want 60, release clause is 80M.
At 40M he would be a Vieira-esque punt, but 50/60 and it starts getting a bit much even though we absolutely need cover with EL starting soon.

Still no sign of a CM signing to really cover for Xhaka/Partey. Very worrying when they are both likely to get sent off, injured or unable to play...
Bellerin should be leaving to Betis this week and Mari to wherever in Italy. Pepe/Nelsson will probably ride along this season and play in the cups.
Hopefully Edu and Arteta manage to overcome the complicated US timezone obstacle and deliver one (or 2) last pieces to the squad. ;)
I highly doubt Edu will spend big for a CM or RW cover at this stage of the window. Edu spent a lot of money already and he probably needs to find a way out for all his unwanted players before he buys again.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
I highly doubt Edu will spend big for a CM or RW cover at this stage of the window. Edu spent a lot of money already and he probably needs to find a way out for all his unwanted players before he buys again.
Maybe but what's the better scenario if we can only sign one ?

Tielemans/any CM + Pepe/Vieira/Nelson/Marquinhos to cover for Saka
or
Pino/Diaby/Gakpo + El Neny/Lokonga to cover for Xhaka/Partey.

I prefer the first solution because it is 99% sure we'll lose Xhaka and or Partey at some point. And then the drop off is huge; i like El Neny but he's not enough and Lokonga is still too raw.
I'm sure we can throw Pepe/Marquinhos at the 70th minute in the PL or any EL game without suffering too much from Saka's absence. Vieira too. At least it's a new bet not the same losing one we made last seasons. We'd be a dumb football club if we kept ignoring our midfield issues time and time again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe but what's the better scenario if we can only sign one ?

Tielemans/any CM + Pepe/Vieira/Nelson/Marquinhos to cover for Saka
or
Pino/Diaby/Gakpo + El Neny/Lokonga to cover for Xhaka/Partey.

I prefer the first solution because it is 99% sure we'll lose Xhaka and or Partey at some point. And then the drop off is huge; i like El Neny but he's not enough and Lokonga is still too raw.
I'm sure we can throw Pepe/Marquinhos at the 70th minute in the PL or any EL game without suffering too much from Saka's absence. Vieira too. At least it's a new bet not the same losing one we made last seasons. We'd be a dumb football club if we kept ignoring our midfield issues time and time again.
It doesn't seems like Edu can find a club for Pepe this window so he will stay. I will get a cover for CM. Edu probably need to clear up the wage bill before he can buy. At this stage Edu probably finished the business for his high priority targets, now it is just for squad depth, and I doubt he will spend big. May be wait till the end of the window and get players on loan.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
It doesn't seems like Edu can find a club for Pepe this window so he will stay. I will get a cover for CM. Edu probably need to clear up the wage bill before he can buy. At this stage Edu probably finished the business for his high priority targets, now it is just for squad depth, and I doubt he will spend big. May be wait till the end of the window and get players on loan.
Struggling with high wages? Players you thought would be good but turned out to be meh? Can’t get them off your books? Willing to pay them to get them off

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see it this way. We offered 50m for Raphinha so the money is clearly there in the budget for a winger if we can get the right one.

I think we're probably still desperately looking for a buyer for Pepe (good luck) but if nobody materializes then he is a player that would certainly have loan interest, especially in France. I really have trouble seeing him playing for Arsenal next season - Arteta has zero faith in him at all. But there is no point in loaning him before you bring a new winger into the club as it leaves us short and also reduces your leverage in whatever negotiations might be happening for that new winger.

I have no idea about a CM.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see it this way. We offered 50m for Raphinha so the money is clearly there in the budget for a winger if we can get the right one.
As per Edu, he just talked to Deco about Raphinha and Deco told him his client only wanted Barcelona. There was no offer, and Edu never talked to Raphinha. it is known that Arteta and Edu still want a CM and a winger, but at this stage of the window my guess they are waiting for the last day of the window and look for bargain basement deal.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have also enquired for Sandro Tonali from Milan. Looks like we are after specific age and profile players.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looking very good at the moment, I must say.

This is the importance of giving a manager time to build. This time last season, Arsenal had lost their first three games of the season and looked pretty lost.

Arteta has identified what they need and so far it looks like he's assembled a really well-balanced side. Of course, the importance of recruitment can be understated neither, and the addition of Zincheko and Jesus have proved to be shrewd signings, thus far.

If you look at the way Arteta sets up, too, it's very similar to his Ajax team last season. Very much like a 3223 in possession

Martinelli Jesus Saka
Xhaka Odegaard
Zinchenko Partey
Gabriel Saliba White
Plenty of rotation, but he will always have a midfield box, which allows them to dominate the ball.

NoPace

Looking very good at the moment, I must say.

This is the importance of giving a manager time to build. This time last season, Arsenal had lost their first three games of the season and looked pretty lost.

Arteta has identified what they need and so far it looks like he's assembled a really well-balanced side. Of course, the importance of recruitment can be understated neither, and the addition of Zincheko and Jesus have proved to be shrewd signings, thus far.

If you look at the way Arteta sets up, too, it's very similar to his Ajax team last season. Very much like a 3223 in possession

Martinelli Jesus Saka
Xhaka Odegaard
Zinchenko Partey
Gabriel Saliba White
Plenty of rotation, but he will always have a midfield box, which allows them to dominate the ball.
Good post. I guess for us that would look like this, assuming the Antony deal comes off:

Sancho Striker Antony
Bruno Eriksen
Malacia Casemiro
Lisandro Maguire/Varane Timber/RCB

and we do have 2 okay strikers. So maybe we're just a quality right-sided defender away, and we do badly need another RB option. Foyth would make sense but seems off to Barca. James Justin probably not moving but intriguing talent.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Thought we were still light in midfield given Partey's.....fitness issues. This makes us even more light. Always had the potential to derail things.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Partey is so important to us it is painful. Our win % with him in vs out is simply ridiculous.

To put it bluntly, if he plays vs United (he won't), we win. If he doesn't play, we will lose. Very worrying to be so reliant on one player.

Walters_19_MuFc

Partey is so important to us it is painful. Our win % with him in vs out is simply ridiculous.

To put it bluntly, if he plays vs United (he won't), we win. If he doesn't play, we will lose. Very worrying to be so reliant on one player.
Didnt Partey play in your 3-2 loss to us last season?

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Lokonga/AMN vs Casemiro at OT. Banter lineups will never go away :drool:

justboy68

Getting the excuses in early I see.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's an absolutely ridiculous thing to be calling 5 days before the game "if X plays, we win". I also had no idea Elneny was 30yo, for some reason I thought he was a rash youngster still developping :lol:
It is silly. We have a poor record at Old Trafford anyway, it doesn't seem to matter how we are playing or how you are playing, it's just a ground we struggle at. Oh, & I've read Partey is out for a couple of weeks so I don't think he will be playing.

Elneny isn't young, he's just distinctly average. We signed him from Basle for £6M back in 2016, and he is what he is, an ok squad player, and happy to be that, so I don't like to have a go. He was loaned out to Besiktas a couple of years back, so I think that tells you everything.

We need to move on from Partey anyway. Never mind anything else, his fitness just isn't reliable. Think that will be in area that gets looked at in future windows for that reason. Wouldn't be surprised if they revisit someone like Neves next summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Edu and Arteta has been saying we need one more CM and winger. Let's see if they can bring anyone in last min.

It is silly. We have a poor record at Old Trafford anyway, it doesn't seem to matter how we are playing or how you are playing, it's just a ground we struggle at. Oh, & I've read Partey is out for a couple of weeks so I don't think he will be playing.
Next game is home game against Aston Villa, that's a lot more important than away to Old Trafford for the 4th place trophy.

Chief123

It sounds absurd after a 3-1 defeat but that was one of the best Arsenal performances I’ve seen at old trafford.

fair play to them. So dangerous in their build up and interchanges. Well coached team. They’ll get top 4 comfortably I think.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It sounds absurd after a 3-1 defeat but that was one of the best Arsenal performances I’ve seen at old trafford.

fair play to them. So dangerous in their build up and interchanges. Well coached team. They’ll get top 4 comfortably I think.
Yeah- although you just know they won’t get big results against big teams and have the possibility to totally crumble like they did last season. I have the same attitude towards Spurs doing well.

cyberman

It’s been said all season so far like it’s a positive but Arsenal haven’t scored enough. Looks like a consistent problem now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
City and Arsenal all are made of same template. Don't try to overcomplicate things for now. Just Defend and counter.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

This is how I feel. Away to United is always a fixture I expect to drop points (honestly, lose), and in recent times we cowered away too quickly. We played well, dominated for large parts but our finishing let us down, while yours were deadly. That Odegaard miss will haunt me for a while.
We had our 4th choice midfielder on the pitch and it showed, I don’t think we concede those types of goals with Partey/Elneny there. I fear not bringing in a midfielder after Elneny got injured is going to cost us, and we look light up top too.

TheReligion

Abusive
Arsenal were very good in possession and Jesus is a menace..

…they aren’t half easy to play through though.

Martial on the pitch here and United likely get 5 or 6. Eriksen sublime.

Cloud7

I agree with this. This is the best I've seen Arsenal look in a long, long time.

Guy Incognito

That was no different from Arsenal under Wenger, good on the ball, but suseptible on the counter. And ETH just borrowed from Fergie's playbook: sit back and counter. It worked a charm.

Saying that they are a team on the up with Jesus.