Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Meh. Pre season results mean feck all. Remember the run we had under LVG, slapping every team we faced before getting beat on the opening day to Swansea I think it was. :lol:

Hopefully Arsenal will get a similar reality check.
I’ve only watched highlights but do Arsenal look like a team with a particular tactic they play with Arteta or is it more about young exciting players he has built a squad of?
it’s both. Look at the squad he had when he started managing Arsenal compared to now. We are starting to see more clearly what he wants to do.

I don’t agree with what others said about pre season results - I’m elated we battered Chelsea and Seville. This gives me (and the team) more confidence going into the opening fixtures and setting the record straight this time around. I can’t accept 3 losses at the start of the season again. The lads are a year older, more experienced and faced an uphill mental task to achieve top 4. They failed but the statement of intent during pre season is encouraging.

It’s about time we break into top 4 now it’s been too long. Will be an interesting season for all teams involved, looking forward to it.

Chief123

TY from AFTV did an interview and said he thinks Arsenal can do the quadruple :lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Pre season results are meaningless. However there is no reason to think Arsenal cannot carry that level of performance to the premier league. We played spectacularly back to back and beat Chelsea and Sevilla 10-0 on aggregate. It not just the goals, its the press, the pinning of the other team in their own half. thats why we are optimistic, because we have been introduced to the Saka, Martinelli, Jesus front three & so far its been nothing short of phenomenal. In Saliaba nd Gabriel we have two sensational centre halfs. We have pace all around the pitch and the energy to match. We also have a manager who has a clear vision of demands effort from the players, who in turn respond.

A balance needs to be struck. One one hand the results dont mean anything, but the performance does. Its wishful thinking for our rivals to think we wont be serious candidates for 3rd place
3rd is yours to lose.
No other (top six) manager other than Klopp and Pep have built their squad and starting 11 exactly to their requirement as much as Arteta. If he fails to compete this season, then you have to worry for him.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
3rd is yours to lose.
No other (top six) manager other than Klopp and Pep have built their squad and starting 11 exactly to their requirement as much as Arteta. If he fails to compete this season, then you have to worry for him.
That just isn't true and is such a cheap way out.

Chelsea and Spurs have world class players, even United to a degree.

Do Arsenal? Because upto a few weeks ago i'm sure the answer was no and probably still is.

Kane and Son to win games is something we don't have. Maybe Jesus will be it, but we'll have to see.

We are still very inexperienced both with players and management. There is no real rush within the fans to get back to the top because we understand that it might take another year or two. Seeing progress is more important.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That just isn't true and is such a cheap way out.

Chelsea and Spurs have world class players, even United to a degree.

Do Arsenal? Because upto a few weeks ago i'm sure the answer was no and probably still is.

Kane and Son to win games is something we don't have. Maybe Jesus will be it, but we'll have to see.

We are still very inexperienced both with players and management. There is no real rush within the fans to get back to the top because we understand that it might take another year or two. Seeing progress is more important.
The post said that its the manager's team and once that happens, expectations need to be upped.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
The post said that its the manager's team and once that happens, expectations need to be upped.
The post said if he doesn't compete for 3rd this year you have to worry for Arteta and 3rd is ours to lose. I read the post.

3rd isn't ours to lose. We still have weaknesses, we are still inexperienced. We still have no world class players yet, although come the end of this season maybe that opinion may change.

I want to see us competing for top 4 and doing well in trophies, and get an increased point number this season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The post said if he doesn't compete for 3rd this year you have to worry for Arteta and 3rd is ours to lose. I read the post.

3rd isn't ours to lose. We still have weaknesses, we are still inexperienced. We still have no world class players yet, although come the end of this season maybe that opinion may change.

I want to see us competing for top 4 and doing well in trophies, and get an increased point number this season.
You were supposed to finish 4th last year. So it's only reasonable to expect something better than that. You have gone 2 summers outspending everyone so if you want to lower expectations then its fine.

You signed a couple of serial title winners from City which adds a lot of experience to your team. Not sure where the inexperience argument comes from.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
You were supposed to finish 4th last year. So it's only reasonable to expect something better than that. You have gone 2 summers outspending everyone so if you want to lower expectations than its fine.

You signed a couple of serial title winners from City which adds a lot of experience to your team. Not sure where the inexperience argument comes from.
No we weren't. We were supposed to finish 6th last season according to the vast majority, if not lower.

We overachieved the expectations.

I swear people just forget things.

We have outspent teams yes, but again we have signed many many players to flip our squad, rather than spending lots on world class players.

I mean.. it comes from the fact we have a manager with 3 years experience total and the youngest team in the league. The signings have helped this summer for sure, but it's still one of the most inexperienced squads in the league.

Bobski

They are improving, a very promising front line, starting to improve the defensive options, but need work in midfield and to build better depth, but they should have a shot at top 4 this year.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You were supposed to finish 4th last year. So it's only reasonable to expect something better than that. You have gone 2 summers outspending everyone so if you want to lower expectations than its fine.

We've only out spent everyone so far. I expect Chelsea to out spend us, I expect Spurs might sign another player or 2, I expect Utd to get De Jong, I'm not sure of City are finished either.

I go by what the boards & Edu's expectations are. The target last season was European football, they already said that. The target for this season I think will be to try & get in Champions League, either by finishing top 4 or winning the Europa.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder after how many matches I'll post my first Arteta Out of the season.

Our defensive midfield has shocking depth when it comes to quality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
3rd is yours to lose.
How is it theirs to lose when they were 5th last season?

AshRK

I won't lie Jesus is a great business for them. They look a good unit and credit to their board and the manager.

Pressure is on Arteta and co, attitude should be top 4 or bust. But that's me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No we weren't. We were supposed to finish 6th last season according to the vast majority, if not lower.

We have outspent teams yes, but again we have signed many many players to flip our squad, rather than spending lots on world class players.

I mean.. it comes from the fact we have a manager with 3 years experience total and the youngest team in the league. The signings have helped this summer for sure, but it's still one of the most inexperienced squads in the league.
Surely no-one in England had you down to finish under 6th, except as a windup.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
For the first 2 to 3 months we were either getting relegated or about finish 8th again according to many. This season's target is CL via top 4 or EL.
3rd can only happen if Chelsea's situation becomes way bigger than it is and i don't think it will. A Conte/Spurs implosion is another way for us to get third this year. This is of course if we manage to improve on our form from last year which we should but there's no guarantees.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
You were supposed to finish 4th last year. So it's only reasonable to expect something better than that. You have gone 2 summers outspending everyone so if you want to lower expectations then its fine.

But we flipped the squad - as someone else above me has mentioned. Look again at the team he inherited to the one we have now. THe team we inherited was going nowhere and they were aging/on big contracts anyway. It was integral to start fresh per se. Of course mistakes were made in the process, such as the Willian signing. Regardless this is the season his work should come to fruition otherwise there will be many Angry Arsenal fans. Needs to address DM also.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Look at the top 6 predictions thread. Majority are expecting Arsenal to finish 6th again. Of course Red Cafe is a United forum and there will always be a bias.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Oh they definently did. I saw West Ham and Leicester finishing above us in quite a few predictions.

Tønsberg

Supports
Norway
Arsenal are looking kinda exciting this season. Young squad full of talent and skill. If they can keep the worst injuries away I see no reason why they won't take that next step and challenge for the third spot.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Oh they definently did. I saw West Ham and Leicester finishing above us in quite a few predictions.
100% this. Personally I think you are in top four territory and I wouldn’t listen to these lot claiming it’s a failure if you don’t compete for 3rd ect. What Arsenal are doing right now is getting their team to be competitive for top four which is what most teams strive for, especially teams that are were in decline and are hoping to turn things around. Supporters of teams that can’t get to that position will just try and knock down teams that are heading in the right direction which looks to be what Arsenal are accomplishing.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Supporters of teams that can’t get to that position will just try and knock down teams that are heading in the right direction which looks to be what Arsenal are accomplishing.
Let's see where it leads at the end of the season. Preseason form is good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Arsenal achieved nothing last season.

Also, expectations are a fascinating thing. If Maguire goes from a laughing stock to merely a sub par defender, it's not really a big deal or an achievement (albeit I believe he's been unfairly treated but it's a different matter).

But yeah you seem to have spent decently this summer and should challenge for top 4. Question is whether Arteta will finally do it. We will possibly have a transition year so how hard the competition is may depend on Chelsea and obviously how we adapt to ETHs ideas.

NoPace

Pre season results are meaningless. However there is no reason to think Arsenal cannot carry that level of performance to the premier league. We played spectacularly back to back and beat Chelsea and Sevilla 10-0 on aggregate. It not just the goals, its the press, the pinning of the other team in their own half. thats why we are optimistic, because we have been introduced to the Saka, Martinelli, Jesus front three & so far its been nothing short of phenomenal. In Saliaba nd Gabriel we have two sensational centre halfs. We have pace all around the pitch and the energy to match. We also have a manager who has a clear vision of demands effort from the players, who in turn respond.

A balance needs to be struck. One one hand the results dont mean anything, but the performance does. Its wishful thinking for our rivals to think we wont be serious candidates for 3rd place
I would agree if you sign one decent deep midfielder. Partey always gets hurt even if he's uh, available. But until then, I think that's too big a question mark.

mav_9me

100% this. Personally I think you are in top four territory and I wouldn’t listen to these lot claiming it’s a failure if you don’t compete for 3rd ect. What Arsenal are doing right now is getting their team to be competitive for top four which is what most teams strive for, especially teams that are were in decline and are hoping to turn things around. Supporters of teams that can’t get to that position will just try and knock down teams that are heading in the right direction which looks to be what Arsenal are accomplishing.
Absolutely agree with the bolded.

I will say this, not getting into top 4 will be a failure. Unfortunately there's 5 teams who expect to be in top 4 and 2 of those are pretty guaranteed. Leaving 3 into 2. Is that fair? Maybe not. It is what it is.

mav_9me

Absolutely agree with the bolded.

I will say this, not getting into top 4 will be a failure. Unfortunately there's 5 teams who expect to be in top 4 and 2 of those are pretty guaranteed. Leaving 3 into 2. Is that fair? Maybe not. It is what it is.