Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Think they'll do it now. Coming back from 2-0 down is a sign of champions.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
There’s nothing more beautiful than a team time wasting for 90 mins then conceding an injury time winner. All their injuries quickly disappear once that goal goes in. It was the same at villa , Martinez took about 15 mins alone on goal kicks. Today the Bournemouth keeper got booked for refusing to stand up after we scored, this pretending to be injured to break the momentum of the game gives the ref every right to keep playing. If this match was at the World Cup there’d had been 15 mins extra time. 3 goals were scored in the second half, 3 times subs were made, var checks delayed the game 4 times and Bournemouth players kept doing the to me to you every throw in , then fall over injured. Maybe if they tried to play football they’d have scored a third because we were so open at the back. In the end the team that tried to play football won.
Newcastle are the absolute worst at it, yet in the final last week their powers of recovery were amazing. Unbelievable what being 2-0 down can do to their repeated concussions.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

croadyman

There’s nothing more beautiful than a team time wasting for 90 mins then conceding an injury time winner. All their injuries quickly disappear once that goal goes in. It was the same at villa , Martinez took about 15 mins alone on goal kicks. Today the Bournemouth keeper got booked for refusing to stand up after we scored, this pretending to be injured to break the momentum of the game gives the ref every right to keep playing. If this match was at the World Cup there’d had been 15 mins extra time. 3 goals were scored in the second half, 3 times subs were made, var checks delayed the game 4 times and Bournemouth players kept doing the to me to you every throw in , then fall over injured. Maybe if they tried to play football they’d have scored a third because we were so open at the back. In the end the team that tried to play football won.
Newcastle are the absolute worst at it, yet in the final last week their powers of recovery were amazing. Unbelievable what being 2-0 down can do to their repeated concussions.
I want to relegate them on May 20 for that pathetic level of time wasting that meant you had the time to win game. Has really fired me up for that one more than I ever thought was possible.

croadyman

Yeah that's the trouble you haven't played anyone other than City who can get at your defence whilst stopping you as well

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I have to say this Arsenal team is hard to dislike but then again I’ve always had a soft spot for them when they stopped united from winning even more leagues back in the early 2000s and late 90s. I really do hope they pull this off.

croadyman

I have to say this Arsenal team is hard to dislike but then again I’ve always had a soft spot for them when they stopped united from winning even more leagues back in the early 2000s and late 90s. I really do hope they pull this off.
Can't say I am surprised and believe me it's not so much the team it's that Pep lite in charge who irritates me beyond belief

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Incredible coming from a fan of a team whose manager quite clearly gets his players to fake injuries so he can have a timeout huddle with the players.

Arsenal obviously never waste time late in tight games when they're on the verge of a desirable result. That would simply be beneath such a club.

croadyman

Incredible coming from a fan of a team whose manager quite clearly gets his players to fake injuries so he can have a timeout huddle with the players.

Arsenal obviously never waste time late in tight games when they're on the verge of a desirable result. That would simply be beneath such a club.
Ah yes I did notice not many other teams seem to be having those or at least very few

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta has to be given credit for his subs here. I thought we were a bit desperate and wasn't expecting much from ESR and Nelson after both being out injured for a while (ESR especially), but they contributed massively. Of course White also scored as a sub. Particularly glad for Nelson - his days with us are probably numbered but it was so nice to see him get the winner. Great job getting the whole squad motivated and focused.

croadyman

Arteta has to be given credit for his subs here. I thought we were a bit desperate and wasn't expecting much from ESR and Nelson after both being out injured for a while (ESR especially), but they contributed massively. Of course White also scored as a sub. Particularly glad for Nelson - his days with us are probably numbered but it was so nice to see him get the winner. Great job getting the whole squad motivated and focused.
Yeah typically had a Macheda moment instead of causing you to drop two points. Do you not find Arteta's technical area histrionics cross the line

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah typically had a Macheda moment instead of causing you to drop two points. Do you not find Arteta's technical area histrionics cross the line
No, I don't care because I was about to smash my TV in all the excitement so I can only imagine what it must have felt like that for them and in that stadium. IMO, it's been so long that we've been in this kind of position, I'm just enjoying it. Savouring the highs (like today) and hoping we can learn from the lows (like Everton loss). Honestly what's the point of watching football if you can't go mental when your team going for the title comes back to win in the last kick of the game after being down 2-0?

Last edited:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Taylor breaking Eduardo's leg definitely had an impact on our title chances that season. Those games you mentioned above came straight after that. van Persie was injured (as usual) and Adebayor was badly out of form so without Eduardo we didn't have any goals. The squad was quite young and it was such a horrific injury that I'm sure it affected them too.
Biggest loss IMO was Tom and Bac in January through season ending injuries. We chugged on for a bit but ultimately the weight of competing on all fronts was too much for us. I wish Arsene had gotten someone in that Jan window.

We also got cheated out of a CL QF win v Liverpool by a referee who just happened to be Dirk Kuyt's best childhood buddy and didn't give a penalty as blatant as you would ever seen from a foul committed by - Kuyt.

croadyman

Biggest loss IMO was Tom and Bac in January through season ending injuries. We chugged on for a bit but ultimately the weight of competing on all fronts was too much for us. I wish Arsene had gotten someone in that Jan window.

We also got cheated out of a CL QF win v Liverpool by a referee who just happened to be Dirk Kuyt's best childhood buddy and didn't give a penalty as blatant as you would ever seen from a foul committed by - Kuyt.
Yeah and now have to put up with that City reject reuniting with the other one to get this title over the line. Annoyingly you will probably cope with those awkward April fixtures with more ease now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Two huge last minute goals giving them 4 extra points in the last couple weeks. Still think city are favorites though.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah and now have to put up with that City reject reuniting with the other one to get this title over the line. Annoyingly you will probably cope with those awkward April fixtures with more ease now.
I fully foresee a blip. Which is why my expectations have been Top 3 since Nov/Dec.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
You had the bloody blip between Everton & City and to be honest you got away with it
Got away with it would be accurate if we'd chanced our way through the games or gotten some insanely poor decisions our way.

There's something a bit naive about this team yet, in the way they keep plugging with a thought about keeping defensively tight, and that constant pressure pays off sometimes. Not to say we look far fitter than a lot of the teams we've beaten at the death.

croadyman

Got away with it would be accurate if we'd chanced our way through the games or gotten some insanely poor decisions our way.

There's something a bit naive about this team yet, in the way they keep plugging with a thought about keeping defensively tight, and that constant pressure pays off sometimes. Not to say we look far fitter than a lot of the teams we've beaten at the death.
What I meant is City didn't pressure you properly in that period due to the old enemy across North London doing a favour

thisISben

If you take Arteta, Gabriel and Xhaka out, I do agree they’re hard to dislike.

If Arsenal do it, they’ve done it ‘the proper way’. City we can say ‘bought the league’ and it’s easier take as everyone can just call them cheats and move on. Arsenal however, and Liverpool too, bought players where they needed strengthening and stuck with a manager and it’s paying off.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
I was in the stadium yesterday. Block 1. Best football experience of my life. Stadium noise was insane. Think it was the best atmosphere since 2-1 versus Barcelona. Whatever happens, the connection with the fans is the biggest win for that team. They love to play together and we love to support them. And for people moaning for our celebrations, cmon football is a spectacle, not a jobday at the office. Emirates no more a library.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Those celebrations, fecking hell :lol:

I think they'll go on and win it, a mixture of them getting enough points, City continuing to drop points, and us being too far behind already and having a crazy schedule. Just seems inevitable now, a bit like when Leicester did it.

The Europa could be the interesting bit in between, you'd have to assume Arteta will just play the B team and treat it as unimportant.

Edwards6

Still think Gary Neville is right everything is too emotional for this early in the season, it's like every game is a cup final for them will they have the energy to keep doing this for another 12 games

rajds89

I was in the stadium yesterday. Block 1. Best football experience of my life. Stadium noise was insane. Think it was the best atmosphere since 2-1 versus Barcelona. Whatever happens, the connection with the fans is the biggest win for that team. They love to play together and we love to support them. And for people moaning for our celebrations, cmon football is a spectacle, not a jobday at the office. Emirates no more a library.
Wasnt such a great atmosphere when you were 0-2 down against one of the worst teams in the league though was it?

This sickening trend of Arsenal fans coming on here spouting how great they are needs to end, fast.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Still think Gary Neville is right everything is too emotional for this early in the season, it's like every game is a cup final for them will they have the energy to keep doing this for another 12 games
If we keep going behind in games (like vs Villa and this game) then find a way to win it, it will feel like cup finals every game. But c'mon, if you can't be "too emotional" after coming from 2 goals down and one of your academy boys wins it with the last kick of the game, do you even like football?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
12 games is 36 points.Too early to call anything. Theyre ahead by 5 points, not 30 points.

thisISben

Sorry don’t mean to have a go, but doesn’t this point more towards your fanbase only creating an atmosphere when doing well? It’s not a positive point.

Also goes well with the massive amount of Arsenal fans now appearing.

Not a jab at you as you’ve been here for a few years but it still applies.

thisISben

If we keep going behind in games (like vs Villa and this game) then find a way to win it, it will feel like cup finals every game. But c'mon, if you can't be "too emotional" after coming from 2 goals down and one of your academy boys wins it with the last kick of the game, do you even like football?
I think his point is these massively draining wins and massive celebrations are becoming more common..it’s not just a one off. United, Villa and Bournemouth in the last month or so.

You’d think it’s not sustainable…but who knows!

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the late wins will serve them well as the belief will grow and it continues their momentum. We all know the feeling a late goal in your favour can generate.

That said I don’t understand why they seem to have dropped off a bit given they have had quite a kind schedule compared to others and the only real injury they’ve had to manage is Jesus.

Things can change quickly but you simply have to give them credit at the moment as they are doing well. They definitely don’t look invincible anymore but they are still finding a way to win which is important.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
was there too, amazing scenes, still buzzing And fair play to the fans, when Bournemouth scored their second, the volume went up a few notches. We owe this team a lot and are doing our best to back them.

Chairman Steve

I see them throwing the EL to focus on the League. I don’t think they’ve got the depth to handle doing both and it does raise some doubts whether they‘re going to have staying power. There’s been plenty of instances where a team can do really well when they only have one competition for a lot of the season, then underwhelm in the following season.

I don’t think their European group next season is going to be as easy as FC Zurich and Bodo/Glimt, sandwiched in between potentially hard league games.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think his point is these massively draining wins and massive celebrations are becoming more common..it’s not just a one off. United, Villa and Bournemouth in the last month or so.

You’d think it’s not sustainable…but who knows!
We have the youngest team in the league and I think that would explain the over celebrating or too much emotion or whatever. We don't have the level heads of City, obviously. Goes for our respective managers too. IMO that's ok. Regardless of whether we win it or not, the team needs to enjoy the ride.

I think the late wins will serve them well as the belief will grow and it continues their momentum. We all know the feeling a late goal in your favour can generate.

That said I don’t understand why they seem to have dropped off a bit given they have had quite a kind schedule compared to others and the only real injury they’ve had to manage is Jesus.

Things can change quickly but you simply have to give them credit at the moment as they are doing well. They definitely don’t look invincible anymore but they are still finding a way to win which is important.
I think our form dropping was inevitable. All teams go in and out of form throughout the season. We were never going to run away with it or be able to maintain our level from the start of the season.
Partey has been injured recently - got injured in the FA Cup loss to City then was probably not fully fit for Everton where he was subbed off. He played vs Brentford but yesterday was his first start since (4 games). Jorginho has filled in pretty well and a good piece of Jan business, but Partey is probably our most important player.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It’s going to take its toll. Too emotional too soon.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It’s going to take its toll. Too emotional too soon.
Maybe. But we’re a very young and inexperienced team so I think this naïveté (if that’s how you want to see it) is understandable. At least we’ll be able to say we gave it everything, and I can’t ask for much more as a fan.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry don’t mean to have a go, but doesn’t this point more towards your fanbase only creating an atmosphere when doing well? It’s not a positive point.

Also goes well with the massive amount of Arsenal fans now appearing.

Not a jab at you as you’ve been here for a few years but it still applies.
You are right but I ve always disliked when supporters (like scousers) chants their team is the best even when not playing great.
Yesterday we only chant « we are top of the league » until the final wristle. We enjoy but still don’t get carried away. Football is fun and should brings joy. And Arsenal clearly does. Sorry for Neville and co.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It’s all that much better when you are at an event like that and your team comes from behind isn’t it? The nervousness throughout the stands was probably excruciating but the joy of winning it a little late must have been fantastic. Sounds like a great time and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Edwards6

Yeah I understand it was a great comeback but I was watching some Arsenal fans last night talking about how they were in tears after the match and they're definitely gonna win it now, all seems like too much too soon when there's still 1/3 of the season to go