Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I think he's better than Luke Shaw, so United or Newcastle.
He’s better than Shaw has been for a good chunk of his United career. But this season, Shaw has started to recapture the form that made him such a highly sought after teenager.

Having said that, I think he’d suit United really well. Tierney bombing on with Rashford cutting inside would be pretty effective. As a neutral I’d like to see that. As it is, I’d keep Tierney for as long as he’s happy here.

That’s a major downside of going out of all the cups. Players like Tierney and Vieira desperately need minutes.

Loon

:lol:
If it’s 200K he’s worth it in today’s climate. Arsenal will have to expand their wage structure if they want to stay competitive consistently.
Let’s not forget Sancho’s salary was dictated by his form in Germany which has not translated to England following his transfer thus far. Saka‘s is being dictated by his good form here. Arsenal will want to keep him and will pay what is required.

The wisdom of that decision will be seen in seasons to come. If Saka is still turning it on, it’ll be good business.

Gazza

Securing Saka’s future is fantastic news for Arsenal. In years past Saka would have been City-bound, so it’s a sign of Arsenal being able to hold on to young, talented footballers. Worth the money.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
How long has Saka been this incredible world class player? Asking for a friend…
[/QUOTE]

Too premature to proclaim he's world class. He's won feck all.
But since he joined the first time at a young age, and became a regular, he played a significant role carrying the team.
Even as Arsenal was playing at their level of 6-8th position, he was a bright spark and he was constantly progressing. (there are deep scars of from those years, but nothing like the ones before that and constantly getting thumped cricket scorelines in the CL)
Starting from left back to right wing.
Even reading his performances in the U23s/21s, he always demonstrated more football intelligence to contribute to team performance rather than individual numbers. It was like that for the u23s and 21s national team too.
It just took time for that performance to translate into measurable returns (goals, assists), but his overall performance contributes a lot more to the play too. (I remember being dissappointed that his numbers dropped after getting 9 assists in his first season across all competitions)

Paying him that much at this young age is sound to me, because it rewards a loyal talent who grew up through the ranks, significantly contributes to the team and is now performing at a higher level (but still not world class).
it's a valid point of where do you go from here. If he's still doing the same thing at 25-30, how much more can you pay him? But paying him that much in the here and now makes sense.
And if he wants the higher pay day, sure, there are other clubs that could afford it, but they'd end up having to pay the club a fair amount to get him too (with some scenarios of runing the contract down, or downing tools though that scenario seems unlikely because Saka's always behaved level headed).

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
200k for a 20/21y.o is crazy.

I am not sure even Rashford is getting that and he's 25y.o.
And Rashford signed his last contract (apparently 250k but not sure) also when he was 20/21 + its been 5 yrs since then so inflation. And many here may not agree but i feel Rashford when he was given his last contract at 20/21 was not performing at the level Saka plays currently.

In general the market is screwed for young attacking players. Check what is happening at Chelsea with Mount. We now even gave an internal reference with Martinelli on 180k, Nketiah at 80k/100k.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
I think it is almost irrelevant what Sancho is on when it comes to Saka's contract. We massively overpaid for Sancho, he's on massively inflated wages, and we are a massively larger club than Arsenal. Saka is better, or at least more effective in the PL, but he still plays for a smaller club with a more sensible wage structure. It's also largely beside the point what Grealish gets at Man City, but if Saka's agents wanted to look at what Grealish got at Villa, that would be relevant. James Ward-Prowse would also be relevant. Perisic at Spurs, relevant. Vastly overpaid player at vastly larger club, not relevant. What players get at City is not only irrelevant but impossible to know due to their shady ways, as well as their bottomless well of cash.

Funny how contracts of players and ManUtd and ManCity are not relevant as they are bigger clubs or clubs with more money but then you turn it around and point to players at Villa claiming they are relevant.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's obvious they didn't watch Shaw, just goes by general opinion when Jose was in charge.
Very small sample but they probably had a good look when Saka tore him a new one. Shaw has been good though and i don't think United or Tierney would want to anything to do with each other. He seems destined for Newcastle, they can offer him gametime, money and a good transfer fee.
Still hopeful we can convince him to stay with CL football and doing a bit better in the domestic cups next season but Arteta went with Tomiyasu on the left a few times so maybe he's fine with him leaving.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I think it is almost irrelevant what Sancho is on when it comes to Saka's contract. We massively overpaid for Sancho, he's on massively inflated wages, and we are a massively larger club than Arsenal. Saka is better, or at least more effective in the PL, but he still plays for a smaller club with a more sensible wage structure. It's also largely beside the point what Grealish gets at Man City, but if Saka's agents wanted to look at what Grealish got at Villa, that would be relevant. James Ward-Prowse would also be relevant. Perisic at Spurs, relevant. Vastly overpaid player at vastly larger club, not relevant. What players get at City is not only irrelevant but impossible to know due to their shady ways, as well as their bottomless well of cash.
Not Saka’s problem how big the club he is, only how big he is, and he’s already , at 21, bigger than all the players you mentioned above. Not sure how hard that is to grasp.
Plus we paid Ozil 300k and auba 350k. It’s nice that everyone is concerned about our wage structure, but I think our league position should concern you more.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not Saka’s problem how big the club he is, only how big he is, and he’s already , at 21, bigger than all the players you mentioned above. Not sure how hard that is to grasp.
Plus we paid Ozil 300k and auba 350k. It’s nice that everyone is concerned about our wage structure, but I think our league position should concern you more.
Yeh it's a bit amusing how opposition fans have been saying that Arsenal will have trouble keeping him during these contract talks, bigger club will come knocking etc. And now that it's almost certain he'll sign on and Arsenal are ready to match what a bigger club will likely pay, now some are saying we're paying too much.

Loon

Too premature to proclaim he's world class. He's won feck all.
But since he joined the first time at a young age, and became a regular, he played a significant role carrying the team.
Even as Arsenal was playing at their level of 6-8th position, he was a bright spark and he was constantly progressing. (there are deep scars of from those years, but nothing like the ones before that and constantly getting thumped cricket scorelines in the CL)
Starting from left back to right wing.
Even reading his performances in the U23s/21s, he always demonstrated more football intelligence to contribute to team performance rather than individual numbers. It was like that for the u23s and 21s national team too.
It just took time for that performance to translate into measurable returns (goals, assists), but his overall performance contributes a lot more to the play too. (I remember being dissappointed that his numbers dropped after getting 9 assists in his first season across all competitions)

Paying him that much at this young age is sound to me, because it rewards a loyal talent who grew up through the ranks, significantly contributes to the team and is now performing at a higher level (but still not world class).
it's a valid point of where do you go from here. If he's still doing the same thing at 25-30, how much more can you pay him? But paying him that much in the here and now makes sense.
And if he wants the higher pay day, sure, there are other clubs that could afford it, but they'd end up having to pay the club a fair amount to get him too (with some scenarios of runing the contract down, or downing tools though that scenario seems unlikely because Saka's always behaved level headed).
Thanks, but the old maxim about being good enough applies, plus he’s only a year younger than Sancho, so it’s not like he’s a risk of starting too early like a Rooney or an Owen.

Arsenal must hold on to their talents. I guess if he turns it on for a few more seasons, the inevitable tap up from the likes of Madrid will come if there’s no one better in his position

Last edited:

Loon

Yeh it's a bit amusing how opposition fans have been saying that Arsenal will have trouble keeping him during these contract talks, bigger club will come knocking etc. And now that it's almost certain he'll sign on and Arsenal are ready to match what a bigger club will likely pay, now some are saying we're paying too much.
Did anyone actually come knocking?

Loon

:lol: You can’t help yourself, can you?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This is definitely true and I think that this pinch point will come as soon as this summer.

There are definitely quite a few tough decisions to be made. As has been mentioned, our wage bill is going to shoot up when we (hopefully) renew our best talents. We've bought well recently, but our selling has been appalling. Leno was sold for an initial payment of £3m. We need to get a lot better at negotiating fees for our outgoing players.

We also have to make our mind up about:
  • Loyal servants who can be improved upon (Holding / El Neny)
  • Good players who don't fit our current system (Tierney / Turner)
  • Players who may possibly never perform at their current high standard ever again (Xhaka)
  • Younger prospects who are at make or break stage (Smith-Rowe / Nelson / Nketiah)
  • First-teamers returning from loan (Pepe / Balogun / Cedric / Maitland-Niles)
  • Young players returning from loan (Balogan / Patino)
  • Older players who may soon need replacing (Jorginho)
There are question marks all over the squad. I hope the majority either (a) rise to the challenge, or (b) are moved on for reasonable fees. I'm optimistic about (a) and pretty pessimistic about (b). Hopefully Edu improves in this regard. It should be easier now he has players other teams actually want as opposed to deadwood. We'll see.
Think if you had to run through most teams they would have a similar amount of questions/work needing done. The good thing with regards that are the question marks are mostly over the squad players, the young players or the loan players.

The first team is pretty settled, you can't imagine any of the first XI leaving, but it obviously can be improved upon in a couple of areas.

So the work that needs done on outgoings are players on the periphery. The incomings should be seen as a way to improve the first team/ 'impactors'. :nervous:

So for once I'd say we are strengthening from a position of strength, rather than playing a lot of catch up. That doesn't mean to say that automatically means improvement next year mind you.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Current Tienery is not better than current Shaw FFS.

Tierney seems nailed on for Newcastle if he leaves.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Current Tienery is not better than current Shaw FFS.

Tierney seems nailed on for Newcastle if he leaves.
Would agree but a year/two ago he was, things change quickly. Wouldn't put it past him to have a great season next year if he left to start regularly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tierney better than Shaw. :lol: When Tierney joined he showed a lot of potential and could have been better than Shaw but since then one has gone up a level and one has gone down a level.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tierney I'm gutted for really, injuries have wrecked him. He was cracking at Celtic and when he first went to Arsenal and thought he would really push on but injuries have taken their toll. He's still a mint player and I seriously hope he reinvigorates his career if he moves this summer. Would be fantastic for Scotland too if he did.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Can he even play a whole season, I got the impression he is/was injury prone
Yh big question, he's actually been relatively fit this season but equally easy to be when not playing too many minutes.

I mean it's a shame because at one point he and Saka were our best players. I remember the days everything went through Tierney.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Tierney still performs very well for us when he plays, and contributed a lot to our title challenge. Its just Zinchenko has been one of our players of the season in his inverted full back role where hes often outnumbering opposition in midfield and has a great range of passing and ball control. Must say I saw none of that at Man city, thought he was their worst player and a waste of money at 30m.
Fans keep voting for him for player of the month that his teammates have started making fun of him about it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would agree but a year/two ago he was, things change quickly. Wouldn't put it past him to have a great season next year if he left to start regularly.
It's just strange Shaw was brought up in the first place, you can understand why locals on here think Arsenal fans constantly want to compare players like that.

I think if he's playing at his best there's not much in it, but even then why would Utd want him when they have Shaw, doesn't make much sense. Id argue that City could do with him more than Utd.

Newcastle makes most sense, much closer to home, a city more like Glasgow, a spot waiting for him there as an attacking full back to mirror Trippier on the other side.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It's obvious they didn't watch Shaw, just goes by general opinion when Jose was in charge.
To be fair, I was saying that Shaw is playing far better than him and is the more highly rated of the the two. I just pointed out that Shaw hasn’t made the most his talents throughout much of his stint at United. Which he hasn’t.

I’d say Shaw has both a high ceiling and a low floor to his performances. That’s an opinion you’ll find all over RedCafe from United fans.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes been excellent since he broke into the team to be honest, and has been progressing and improving every season

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It's just strange Shaw was brought up in the first place, you can understand why locals on here think Arsenal fans constantly want to compare players like that.

I think if he's playing at his best there's not much in it, but even then why would Utd want him when they have Shaw, doesn't make much sense. Id argue that City could do with him more than Utd.

Newcastle makes most sense, much closer to home, a city more like Glasgow, a spot waiting for him there as an attacking full back to mirror Trippier on the other side.
A United fan literally asked which team he would fit into better than us seeing as we favour inverted full backs at the moment. He’d fit in at United quite well, so then it’s pretty natural to compare him to Shaw. Player comparisons didn’t used to be such a minefield - we used to do it all the time without anybody getting upset.

I agree, though. Newcastle would be the best fit for all the reasons you mentioned.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Think if you had to run through most teams they would have a similar amount of questions/work needing done. The good thing with regards that are the question marks are mostly over the squad players, the young players or the loan players.

The first team is pretty settled, you can't imagine any of the first XI leaving, but it obviously can be improved upon in a couple of areas.

So the work that needs done on outgoings are players on the periphery. The incomings should be seen as a way to improve the first team/ 'impactors'. :nervous:

So for once I'd say we are strengthening from a position of strength, rather than playing a lot of catch up. That doesn't mean to say that automatically means improvement next year mind you.
This summer might be tough for you guys. There arent many open positions in your first XI (maybe none at all) so you'll have to look hard to find players willing to come in and compete with that, especially given how many fringe players have been starved of minutes this season. Players you are going to want will naturally have many other options, and that will be a big factor for them.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This is why Arsenal fans get mocked so often and why AFTV took off.
Tierney over Shaw is a ridiculous opinion but on the other hand you have people on this board currently arguing that Marcus Rashford is a top five most valuable player in world football so...

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Did anyone actually come knocking?
Doesn't appear so, thank goodness. But I think Saka has a release clause that we triggered to extend his contract til summer 2024, while we negotiate a longer term deal. The club have been trying to be much better with negotiating contracts early and not letting them run down. No doubt keeping Saka long-term is at the top of our priority list.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This summer might be tough for you guys. There arent many open positions in your first XI (maybe none at all) so you'll have to look hard to find players willing to come in and compete with that, especially given how many fringe players have been starved of minutes this season. Players you are going to want will naturally have many other options, and that will be a big factor for them.
The right player (like Rice) will supplant Xhaka from the starting XI as the left 8. That's the biggest upgrade we can make and I think it'll be the focus of our summer business.

After that we need a right sided defender, hopefully who can swing between RCB and RB, and a backup RW. I would expect us to go with cheaper options in those roles because you need players who just want a bigger salary and club because those positions are basically locked down in the first XI.

If Tierney leaves we need another backup LB as well.

Chief123

Tierney over Shaw is a ridiculous opinion but on the other hand you have people on this board currently arguing that Marcus Rashford is a top five most valuable player in world football so...
How valuable he is I’m not sure. But it’s actually non-United pundits, rival fans and even AFTV themselves claiming recently he is the best player in Europe at the moment based on current form. So I’m not sure that’s as outrageous as claiming Tierney is a better player than Shaw and always has been throughout his career. That’s classic AFTV material.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I mean it’s a United forum so you’re going to get some weird pro United opinions (what does top 5 most valuable even mean)?

But Tierney over Shaw is so batshit mental that I’m not surprised it’s coming from insecure Arsenal fans on a United board.

Loon

Doesn't appear so, thank goodness. But I think Saka has a release clause that we triggered to extend his contract til summer 2024, while we negotiate a longer term deal. The club have been trying to be much better with negotiating contracts early and not letting them run down. No doubt keeping Saka long-term is at the top of our priority list.
Plus the fact Saka might be totally happy at Arsenal and not want to move elsewhere.