Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I literally just watched you cling on at Old Trafford against West Ham, with a heroic performance by your keeper. How you won that game is a mystery, and even Forest beat West Ham. I watched you score a 94th minute equalizer to snatch a point at Chelsea, I saw Newcastle hitting posts/crossbars and missing open goals in a 0-0, heck even Eveerton matched you for goal attempts in a very narrow recent win. It only counts when Arsenal 'are not convincing' though. Makes me chuckle.
So basically you just decide to watch what pleases you and ignore the rest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At some point people will actually begin to see them and tone down on this nauseating City love-in. We’ve spent 3 months talking about how ‘nobody can stop’ the team in second place!

Real Name

I literally just watched you cling on at Old Trafford against West Ham, with a heroic performance by your keeper. How you won that game is a mystery, and even Forest beat West Ham. I watched you score a 94th minute equalizer to snatch a point at Chelsea, I saw Newcastle hitting posts/crossbars and missing open goals in a 0-0, heck even Eveerton matched you for goal attempts in a very narrow recent win. It only counts when Arsenal 'are not convincing' though. Makes me chuckle.
Look at him go. I can imagine you angrily kicking the keyboard while writing this.

TheReligion

Abusive
Heroic performance from the keeper? He made two saves, one was from 35 yards out :lol:

We struggled second half granted but we were missing a number of players and are still nowhere near where we want to be yet as Ten Hag rightly said.

In terms of Arsenal you shouldn’t take every criticism of them so personally. It’s not the school playground where you keep giving ‘your mum’ level of responses.

Arsenal are doing well so enjoy it. You’re over 3 years in to the Arteta project and it looks like he’s getting everything together. That has no relevance to United and their own evolution.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
These arguments about fixture list difficulty happen every season, and people’s opinions usually depends on which side of this their team is on and usually it’s the team with points on the board already with the confidence flowing that end up being better off than the team with a meh run of results but counting on the easier upcoming fixtures to catch up. Not always though.

Ignoring the first two games, I have actually been relatively impressed with United. They are looking a very good bet for top 3, which, for Ten Hag's first season after taking over a team in turmoil would a very impressive feat. Arsenal though, I've watched pretty much every game so far and apart from the slight dip vs Leeds and Southampton, they have been excellent on the efficiency levels and entertainment levels in every other game.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
At some point Arsenal will have to decide to give up the EL, the squad isn't big enough to sustain challenges on multiple fronts. The only attraction for that trophy is being able to get in CL through it, but if we're doing it through the league then there's no real sense in bothering with it.
The tricky part will be about how to get out of EL, without losing too much face or affecting morale.

ShinjiNinja26

What an utterly moronic take by someone who clearly hasn’t watched any of these games but I wouldn’t expect anything less from an Arsenal fan.

TheReligion

Abusive
At some point Arsenal will have to decide to give up the EL, the squad isn't big enough to sustain challenges on multiple fronts. The only attraction for that trophy is being able to get in CL through it, but if we're doing it through the league then there's no real sense in bothering with it.
The tricky part will be about how to get out of EL, without losing too much face or affecting morale.
Interesting point and something that may also happen to United I guess.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Eh? Par for what? Arsenal have been nowhere near the top of the league for a couple of decades and not even definites for Top 4 in that time either. This is definitely an anomaly of a season for Arsenal rather than a "par" season.
Learn how to read.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
These arguments about fixture list difficulty happen every season, and people’s opinions usually depends on which side of this their team is on and usually it’s the team with points on the board already with the confidence flowing that end up being better off than the team with a meh run of results but counting on the easier upcoming fixtures to catch up. Not always though.

Ignoring the first two games, I have actually been relatively impressed with United. They are looking a very good bet for top 3, which, for Ten Hag's first season after taking over a team in turmoil would a very impressive feat. Arsenal though, I've watched pretty much every game so far and apart from the slight dip vs Leeds and Southampton, they have been excellent on the efficiency levels and entertainment levels in every other game.
Think that's a very fair assessment of both teams so far.

I've been impressed by how Ten Hag has managed to stabilise the team after the first couple of games, and the singings of both Martinez and Casimero has made them much less chaotic and more stronger structurally, with Eriksen adding a touch of class. Still to be utterly convinced by Antony so far, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh though. Good early signs from them though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes mate, just no Partey like you say...

and Saka, Gabriel, White, ZInchenko, or Jesus either from our strongest 11, but don't let that get in the way of your facts :)
Because White, Gabriel and Zinchenko would have made such a massive difference :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We've been playing the majority of the season without a proper striker. Our attack has been functioning fine, if Martial had been fit we'd look a lot better in that regard.

They're scoring more goals than us but we're playing at a pretty similar level. I don't think it's impossible for us to finish above them either.
It has not been functioning fine and the fact we are missing a striker is a major reason for that

Cassidy

I mean... we beat them. And it's not like they dominated us in that match or anything. To say that they are better at the moment is arguable since we've faced some pretty stiff opposition so far unlike them. Don't get me wrong, Arsenal are performing great and I fully expect them to be in the top 4 provided they don't collapse, but to say that they are "clearly" better than us is overexaggeration.
We beat them. Ok we beat City under Ole were we better?

Its not an over-exaggeration at all. Unless you don’t watch the games then I understand. But if you do its pretty clear.

That doesn’t mean they will be all season, we will surely improve and there is nothing that says they will maintain this form all season. However clearly they are better and have been better this season. Scored more goals, conceeded less, won every league game bar 1, top of their Europa group.

Its not really an inditement on us either, their manager has had the benifit of development the team over 3+ years and Ten Hag hasn’t even had 6 months yet.

Cassidy

Their squad is better equipped than ours currently. We don’t have a fit striker, we don’t have adequete backup at RB and our wide forwards are in poor form (Sancho). On the weekend Arsenal called upon Nelson who was excellent. In Europa they have been able to rotate, Jesus doesn’t even play and they have given good minutes to Marquinos on the wing too.

We saw on the weekend how a couple of injuries ruins our play entirely

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if Reiss Nelson is going to get more minutes and starts for EL. He played really well yesterday. Fábio Vieira, Nelson, Marquinhos, Nketiah, Lokonga, Cedric Soares need to play more in EL.

cyberman

Their squad is better equipped than ours currently. We don’t have a fit striker, we don’t have adequete backup at RB and our wide forwards are in poor form (Sancho). On the weekend Arsenal called upon Nelson who was excellent. In Europa they have been able to rotate, Jesus doesn’t even play and they have given good minutes to Marquinos on the wing too.

We saw on the weekend how a couple of injuries ruins our play entirely
Are Antony and Rashford in poor form?
I also don’t think they’ve rotated that much in Europe and I don’t see Ben White being under pressure for his right back spot

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Are Antony and Rashford in poor form?
I also don’t think they’ve rotated that much in Europe and I don’t see Ben White being under pressure for his right back spot
Saka and Martinelli played alot in EL and should be rested in these games.

cyberman

Saka and Martinelli played alot in EL and should be rested in these games.
Jesus has 4 appearances!
I’m in the same boat as you with the EL. Ten Hags teams have been too strong and we are now looking leggy for no real reason. We were both guaranteed to get out of the groups so I can’t see why playing 6 games and tiring the first team just to avoid an extra knockout round is better than resting these players for those games and bringing in the starters for the knockout game. The squads aren’t benefitting

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if Reiss Nelson is going to get more minutes and starts for EL. He played really well yesterday. Fábio Vieira, Nelson, Marquinhos, Nketiah, Lokonga, Cedric Soares need to play more in EL.
Vieira needs to spend the next 6 months in the gym, he just can't deal with the physicality of the league. Plus it seems he or Arteta doesn't know where he should play. He looked to dictate the game a lot more on his Porto compilations. At the moment he is a bit ball shy and not effective enough, wonder goal aside.

mav_9me

Arsenal are the 2nd best team in Premier League. Their problem is lack of squad depth compared to City. Drop off in quality in the attack beyond first choice is too big for a title challenge imo. Nelson did fine yesterday but it's a different challenge to do it every week.

Also they are extremely reliant on Partey. Their win % with and without Partey is night and day.

Piyush

Watch Arsenal implode and just finish in top 4 behind United

iHicksy

Is it just me that's happy from a football point of view to see Arsenal doing well again? I'd much rather have Arsenal/United in the top 3 than the likes of Pool, chelsea etc

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are the 2nd best team in Premier League. Their problem is lack of squad depth compared to City. Drop off in quality in the attack beyond first choice is too big for a title challenge imo. Nelson did fine yesterday but it's a different challenge to do it every week.

Also they are extremely reliant on Partey. Their win % with and without Partey is night and day.
Arteta this season relies on Lokonga and Elneny as Partey's back up. There is no link or rumor to anyone for CDM. Youri Tielemans has been linked for a while but he is a #8 and Arteta already has Xhaka, Odegaard, Vieira, and ESR for that role already. Arsenal is playing quite consistent at the moment.

romufc

Last time I checked, there is a reason teams have a top keeper? To win you points?

We scored a 94th min equaliser to a team where we dominated the game. Didn't you guys need the help of friendly VAR decisions to win against Liverpool?

We are in a new cycle with the manager, not 3 years into our development.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is it just me that's happy from a football point of view to see Arsenal doing well again? I'd much rather have Arsenal/United in the top 3 than the likes of Pool, chelsea etc
I would hope it is just you. Feck Arsenal and their annoying fans :D

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The drop off from Jesus to Eddie is huge.

The drop off from Partey/Xhaka to Lokonga/Elneny is even larger.

That's where our biggest issue lies IMO. We just don't have good enough back-ups for them, unless Lokonga can take a huge immediate step in his development.

I think we have some quality options in defence, and thankfully few of them are versatile.

We have three quality dedicated FB's - Tomiyasu, Zinchenko and KT. White had shown this entire season to date that he can play RB at a high level too.

We also have Soares, who I don't rate, but he is a warm body and will play cup games.

Our CB situation is solid - Saliba, Gabriel, White and Holding. Plus Tomiyasu can play there at a high level.

Tomiyasu is pretty much our version of Ivanovic. He can seemingly play any position along the defence very well.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Im pretty sure we twatted you lot 3-1 and should have had two more at least so stop talking shite.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
The penis measuring contest is not doing either team any good.

Watching both teams this season, Arsenal are doing well. Yes there are still questions about whether they can last the season. It's normal for questions to be raised after playing poorly two games in a row (Southampton and PSV). And someone mentioned it, but it was also good to have Forest over the weekend to bounce back (The team looked like they barely got out of second gear for that game).

United have also done well and bounced back since the terrible start. In some games, coming to the CAF you can also see fans getting frustrated at the team's play some times. and that some games, the team team just about made it to win or played poorly (Southampton, Newcastle, Sociedad - to be fair, Arsenal drew at Southampton and have yet to play Newcastle).

I'd argue it's reductive to say who's going to finish above who at the end of the season, because it takes the fun out of the measuring contest highlighted. But for now, as they say, it's better to have points on the board then the hypothetical points that the teams will "definitely win" because of so called easier fixtures. If anything, over 2 decades of watching soccer is that odds and probabilities go out the longer the season goes on. So just enjoy the ride (because it's been a while since both of these teams played good proper football) and then let the bragging rights speak for themselves at the end of the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Xhaka has to be one of the most improved players in a long while.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The drop off from Jesus to Eddie is huge.

The drop off from Partey/Xhaka to Lokonga/Elneny is even larger.

That's where our biggest issue lies IMO. We just don't have good enough back-ups for them, unless Lokonga can take a huge immediate step in his development.

I think we have some quality options in defence, and thankfully few of them are versatile.

We have three quality dedicated FB's - Tomiyasu, Zinchenko and KT. White had shown this entire season to date that he can play RB at a high level too.

We also have Soares, who I don't rate, but he is a warm body and will play cup games.

Our CB situation is solid - Saliba, Gabriel, White and Holding. Plus Tomiyasu can play there at a high level.

Tomiyasu is pretty much our version of Ivanovic. He can seemingly play any position along the defence very well.
Arsenal's wage budget won't allow the club has a bench with world class players like City or PSG. It is the reality. Hopefully Tielemans will be on board in January. He can play #8 and also #6 as deep lying play maker.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Xhaka has to be one of the most improved players in a long while.
Not really. It is Arteta's tactic playing him as #8, shield him from defensive duty, and no need to make last ditch tackle which he is poor, and focus on his strength like his passing range, leadership on the field. Arteta instead playing 2-3-5 and have the Left and Right back in midfield alongside Partey for defensive work. Xhaka is still the same player we have seen for many seasons.

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's wage budget won't allow the club has a bench with world class players like City or PSG. It is the reality. Hopefully Tielemans will be on board in January. He can play #8 and also #6 as deep lying play maker.
We had finally cleared so much money off our books. It took years to get to that healthy position (Willian, Luiz, Ozil, PEA, Sokratis, Mustafi, etc)... Only to then go and give someone like Nketiah £100k p/w. We do it to ourselves.

That was a laughable deal. Especially with a few hugely important renewals coming up - Saka, Martinelli, Saliba.

If the owners don't want to let Edu and Arteta reinforce during the window then it will come back to haunt us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
We had finally cleared so much money off our books. It took years to get to that hdalthy position (Willian, Luiz, Ozil, PEA, Sokratis, Mustafi, etc)... Only to then go and give someone like Nketiah £100k p/w. We do it to ourselves.

If the owners don't want to let Edu and Arteta reinforce during the window then it will come back to haunt us.
Every club has a budget and the fans just need to live with it. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Nketiah is closed to join Crystal Palace in summer, and the cost to replace him in the last summer CF market is defintely higher than the cost of a 4 year £100k p/w contract.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta this season relies on Lokonga and Elneny as Partey's back up. There is no link or rumor to anyone for CDM. Youri Tielemans has been linked for a while but he is a #8 and Arteta already has Xhaka, Odegaard, Vieira, and ESR for that role already. Arsenal is playing quite consistent at the moment.
There is the Danilo links. I'm not sure Tielemans has enough work ethic for the type of football we want to play. He has the technical ability for sure though.