g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

InfiniteBoredom

It was pretty evident that they don’t have the squad to do anything beyond scrapping for 4th. It’s October and half of them are already dead on their feet after one half of football.

The drop off from Jesus to Nketiah, or Partey to anybody else is pretty huge, so an injury to either and they are back drawing or losing a few games in a row. Fortunately for them they’ve had a head start and most top 4 rivals are cack one way or another, but talks of challenging City was always a pipe dream.

the_cliff

I don't buy the fatigue talk of Arsenal. It's October if you're talking about fatigue rn, how are you going to play in Jan ? Bear in mind there was basically a 2 week break last month when the queen died and an international break where most of Arsenals main players didn't play. Also other than Saka and Xhaka not many of Arsenals starting 11 have played a lot of minutes in the Europa.

This is the same team that played one game a week last season and blamed them not finishing top 4 on the same thing. Fatigue.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It was pretty evident that they don’t have the squad to do anything beyond scrapping for 4th. It’s October and half of them are already dead on their feet after one half of football.

The drop off from Jesus to Nketiah, or Partey to anybody else is pretty huge, so an injury to either and they are back drawing or losing a few games in a row. Fortunately for them they’ve had a head start and most top 4 rivals are cack one way or another, but talks of challenging City was always a pipe dream.
Can't get over how weirdly overrated he is by Arsenal fans. He's terrible and only has good numbers because he played in the Under 21s way longer than he should have.

InfiniteBoredom

Can't get over how weirdly overrated he is by Arsenal fans. He's terrible and only has good numbers because he played in the Under 21s way longer than he should have.
Most of their fans used to agree with that as well, until the 2nd half of last season when he had a wee purple patch and then they started bigging him up.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I'd struggle to remember one post by the Arsenal supporters on here, even the absolutely delusional ones the mods seem to be accelerating into the mains, that rates Nketiah as good enough for us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd struggle to remember one post by the Arsenal supporters on here, even the absolutely delusional ones the mods seem to be accelerating into the mains, that rates Nketiah as good enough for us.
I've not seen it on here but elsewhere. He also gets referred to on a first name basis by some fans. It's weird.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I've not seen it on here but elsewhere. He also gets referred to on a first name basis by some fans. It's weird.
My main point was, why are you bringing in delusional gooners when we had a reputation for being a balanced lot.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

You say that as if top four is anything to sneer at. Top four and a deep EL run/win, is a good enough outcome from a season for any team not named City.

Chief123

Hear me out…

I just have a weird feeling Arsenal will miss out on top 4. Not because I don’t think they’re good enough, they are.

But the way I see the season panning out, Arsenal be involved in the mix with the other 3/4 teams going for top 4. I think city will slowly pull away.

With Arsenal having been flying high for so long, it’s naturally going to crank up the pressure when they get pulled closer to the 4th spot cut off area.

The biggest challenge for them is going to be how does their very young team and manager handle the pressure. Especially if a couple of injuries imbalance them. I think they are more than good enough but when it comes down to the crunch time and those crucial games near the end of the season, I think that’s where experience and bottle is going to be crucial.

P.S.
I fully expect a much improved Liverpool after the World Cup to be well and truly in that race.

InfiniteBoredom

You say that as if top four is anything to sneer at. Top four and a deep EL run/win, is a good enough outcome from a season for any team not named City.
No idea how you get that from my post, when the exact same thing would be a successful season for United.

All I said is that all the talk about a tittle charge are delusional, and tbf mostly fuelled by the media to create a narrative other than City making the PL a farmers league. Not bigging your team up isnt always a dig.

AshRK

They are doing fine. Their next three games are Nottingham Chelsea and wolves(I believe). Don't lose to Chelsea and get 6 points from the other two they should be really happy before the WC break.

Fatigue or not , looking at how inconsistent the other top 4 rivals are I would be very surprised if they are dragged down to the top 4 fight. That shouldn't happen.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
For Arsenal that would be a great achievement and something Arsenal fans would have snapped your hands off for if presented to them before the season. Obviously with how they've started the season, the expectations has risen somewhat (not for everyone and not by a huge amount) because football fans are wired to be dreamers and when things are going well you start to think about potential things you can achieve that season.

I think for them cementing a top 3 finish and as you say, potentially winning the EL should be the aim from here. If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be ignoring City completely and just looking out for Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Spurs, Newcastle results.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Last week we were lucky to take all the points against Leeds. Yesterday we wasted quite a few chances. Still, it’s an away point to extend our lead at the top of the table. The sky is hardly falling.

With the Chelsea game coming up, we may miss out on going into the World Cup on top. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but we have such a young squad that I’ll gladly take any little psychological boost we can get.
Were we though? Because the penalty they were awarded was offside and we had a penalty incident turned down IIRC and other than that we defended well to limit chances. We were under the kosh ofcourse. We probably won't be top when the WC comes looking at the fixtures. Although we beat Wolves and Chelsea away last season, it will be hard to replicate

redcucumber

They are doing fine. Their next three games are Nottingham Chelsea and wolves(I believe). Don't lose to Chelsea and get 6 points from the other two they should be really happy before the WC break.

Fatigue or not , looking at how inconsistent the other top 4 rivals are I would be very surprised if they are dragged down to the top 4 fight. That shouldn't happen.
Chelsea and United have been pretty consistent since the start of the season wobbles settled down. Much bigger question marks over Liverpool and Spurs, but they've got managers that have done the business before. Arsenal are nailed on for a top 4 fight imo, especially given their complete lack of depth and the eventual tougher run of fixtures they'll have.

cyberman

They’re not ahead by that much and still have Chelsea and City to play. That’s the kicker for me, those big games. More than likely the rivals will have picked up wins putting pressure on them as well. A draw v Chelsea may be a good result, maybe a narrow, competitive loss v City wouldn’t be that big of a deal but that would be 5 dropped points that automatically puts them in a top 4 battle.
There’s nothing to suggest they’re above a top 4 race. This rush to proclaim them as this elite side has been ridiculously premature.

AshRK

Chelsea and United have been pretty consistent since the start of the season wobbles settled down. Much bigger question marks over Liverpool and Spurs, but they've got managers that have done the business before. Arsenal are nailed on for a top 4 fight imo, especially given their complete lack of depth and the eventual tougher run of fixtures they'll have.
I wasn't overly impressed by Chelsea to be fair. Spurs are done (may bite me back), but I feel Conte looks disinterested in this top 4 battle stuff. Liverpool are a mystery, just when I thought they are back they go on lose to Nottingham forest. Depends on which Liverpool come back after WC.

As for United, I feel we are improving but we will continue to drop points and hence it may be a struggle. Arsenal are 8 points ahead of us and yes it is way early in the season but we are not a finished article ourselves so it may be a task to overcome unless Arsenal collapse again.

redcucumber

They’re not ahead by that much and still have Chelsea and City to play. That’s the kicker for me, those big games. More than likely the rivals will have picked up wins putting pressure on them as well. A draw v Chelsea may be a good result, maybe a narrow, competitive loss v City wouldn’t be that big of a deal but that would be 5 dropped points that automatically puts them in a top 4 battle.
There’s nothing to suggest they’re above a top 4 race. This rush to proclaim them as this elite side has been ridiculously premature.
It just makes it all the more sweeter once the wheels inevitably fall off.

AshRK

I am not in any way saying they are an elite side but I am just looking at the other sides around them who are still in transition. Again anything can happen as season is still long way to go but personally I will he surprised if after this start come GW 30 their top 4 position becomes in doubt. That means they are crumbling.

redcucumber

I wasn't overly impressed by Chelsea to be fair. Spurs are done (may bite me back), but I feel Conte looks disinterested in this top 4 battle stuff. Liverpool are a mystery, just when I thought they are back they go on lose to Nottingham forest. Depends on which Liverpool come back after WC.

As for United, I feel we are improving but we will continue to drop points and hence it may be a struggle. Arsenal are 8 points ahead of us and yes it is way early in the season but we are not a finished article ourselves so it may be a task to overcome unless Arsenal collapse again.
Arsenal will continue to drop points, too. I think the difference is, I'm expecting them to drop more points than you are. They could easily lose to City and Chelsea and then we can go above them if we beat them in the reverse fixture.

I thought Potter demonstrated how good a manager he is against us. Got it wrong initially, but had the balls to recognise that and make a change 35 minutes into the game. Chelsea were much more competitive in the second half. I also expect them to sign a forward player in January, whereas I think Arsenal will start to stutter at the turn of the year/February onwards.

Liverpool is tough to call, but they did this two years ago and they managed to crawl their way back into the top 4 on the last day of the season. You never know with Klopp.

AshRK

Arsenal will continue to drop points, too. I think the difference is, I'm expecting them to drop more points than you are. They could easily lose to City and Chelsea and then we can go above them if we beat them in the reverse fixture.

I thought Potter demonstrated how good a manager he is against us. Got it wrong initially, but had the balls to recognise that and make a change 35 minutes into the game. Chelsea were much more competitive in the second half. I also expect them to sign a forward player in January, whereas I think Arsenal will start to stutter at the turn of the year/February onwards.
You could be right (and I hope so you are). I am not denying they will drop points but as long as they continue to get 3 points off wolves and forests they will be fine. They were mediocre against Leeds and yet got 3 points. Those wins from draws or loss could be the difference.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Nketieh's senior goals per minutes are actually very good in the PL/Europa. Previously he'd be a total poacher though but in pre-season he did look to have added different dimensions to his play with his link up play, pressing and he physically looked more imposing. It hasn't really translated to good performances in the few minutes he's had. But he's 2 goals in 4 in the Europa this season and he hasn't had a proper chance in the league. He's certainly a player I wouldn't write off.

cyberman

I am not in any way saying they are an elite side but I am just looking at the other sides around them who are still in transition. Again anything can happen as season is still long way to go but personally I will he surprised if after this start come GW 30 their top 4 position becomes in doubt. That means they are crumbling.
But what I’m saying is it wouldn’t be crumbling when they drop down, just the fixture list evening out. The Chelsea game at SB is a big test to come, City and even Newcastle are a massive test that all the top 4 rivals have played. That’s games that United, let’s just say, have already faced while Arsenal have had the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham, Leeds and Villa that we haven’t faced. Poor Spurs have played all their big games away so far which should see them have an advantage in the second half of the season that the rest of us won’t have.
If Arsenal win those big games then fair enough but there isn’t a big difference in being a title challenger v Top 4 fight in this league imo

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But what I’m saying is it wouldn’t be crumbling when they drop down, just the fixture list evening out. The Chelsea game at SB is a big test to come, City and even Newcastle are a massive test that all the top 4 rivals have played. That’s games that United, let’s just say, have already faced while Arsenal have had the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham, Leeds and Villa that we haven’t faced. Poor Spurs have played all their big games away so far which should see them have an advantage in the second half of the season that the rest of us won’t have.
If Arsenal win those big games then fair enough but there isn’t a big difference in being a title challenger v Top 4 fight in this league imo
All valid points. I suppose what we don't know yet, is how consistent this new and improved Utd will be vs the Fulham, Leeds and Villa's like you mention. There's plenty of opportunities to drop points in this league, it's not just the big games.

The World Cup break will be the big added unknown this season. We've no idea how players and teams will react to that. Will players be fatigued, will there be injuries, how will they be emotionally after a good / poor tournament? What about the players that don't go either? We have Gabriel, Martinelli, Jesus and White on the brink of squads that might miss out, and the likes of Odegaard and Zinchenko that didn't qualify.

One thing we do need to be doing is looking to go back in the market in January and looking to boost the squad, and hope you get the same impact it gave Spurs last season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised to see them down 2-0 to PSV with a full team out.

Downturn in form given the Leeds and Southampton performances or just a blip?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

4 starting players didn't start so dont think thats their full team out.

the_cliff

The way they've played the last couple of games must be concerning for Arsenal fans. I also don't buy the fatigue excuse, just seems same old Arsenal to me.

lysglimt

Scout
Pablo Mari one of the people stabbed in a shopping mall in Milano according to reports - he is on loan from Arsenal

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Pablo Mari one of the people stabbed in a shopping mall in Milano according to reports - he is on loan from Arsenal
Sounds like the perpetrator was mentally disturbed. Unfortunately could have happened anywhere, anytime. Scary to think about.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Poor performance and deserved to get beat. Hopefully a wake up call, as performance levels have dropped a bit the last few weeks.
Need a good result and performance at home vs Forest to get out this rut.

Dominos

It's a shame they've not got a more difficult game on Sunday, feels like they'd be primed to drop points in any tricky game at the moment, loss of form and fatigue setting in.

Couldn't put it past Forest to get a result, but if you're Arsenal you couldn't ask for a much better fixture than Forest at home to bounce back.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Its almost as if we are not allowed to have any kind of poor result without people assuming its indicative of a pending mass collapse. Its such lazy commentary. Especially when the last time this was said was after the Old Trafford defeat and we went on to take 16 points of out the next 18. I suppose the empty well the Arsenal naysayers are drawing their water from is the loss to PSV come off the back of a home draw to Southampton. These results in isolation would be overlooked, but back to back people are trying to make something of it. Take a step back and in the EL we have won W4 L1, and in the premier league W9 D1 L1. of the 16 games we have played this year 3 of the games we haven't won were our last two games, so people are going to offer up buzzwords like 'collapse' & 'crumble'. When actually it's simply a break from a winning streak in two separate competitions.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Its almost as if we are not allowed to have any kind of poor result without people assuming its indicative of a pending mass collapse. Its such lazy commentary. Especially when the last time this was said was after the Old Trafford defeat and we went on to take 16 points of out the next 18. I suppose the empty well the Arsenal naysayers are drawing their water from is the loss to PSV come off the back of a home draw to Southampton. These results in isolation would be overlooked, but back to back people are trying to make something of it. Take a step back and in the EL we have won W4 L1, and in the premier league W9 D1 L1. of the 16 games we have played this year 3 of the games we haven't won were our last two games, so people are going to offer up buzzwords like 'collapse' & 'crumble'. When actually it's simply a break from a winning streak in two separate competitions.
You seem a bit offended... People are just noted, Arsenal fans included, that performances are on a downward trend currently. No one is drawing conclusions from one poor result, but people are discussing the general picture.

The Purley King

I wouldnt put too much stock in yesterday’s performance.
Not a full side and perhaps mentally not really up for it.
Draw or lose against forest at the weekend would be disastrous though (I don’t see that happening)

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldnt put too much stock in yesterday’s performance.
Not a full side and perhaps mentally not really up for it.
Draw or lose against forest at the weekend would be disastrous though (I don’t see that happening)
There is no doubt a reason to be concerned about the quality of performances compared to earlier in the campaign. Taken in isolation the loss to PSV could be seen as we needed a point to seal first in the group, played for a draw and got burned by that approach. However, there was a similar lack of crispness to the team's play against Leeds and Southampton as well.

I do think there is an element of fatigue in play as the number of matches in October has been crazy.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
You’ve gone full blown Kevin Keegan here :lol: