Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

redcucumber

It's really hard to take any post seriously when youngun's chuck in the childish little green emoji things as they think it somehow helps their point. This is a great forum, shame that emoji is available.

If you truly think Utd were good in that game, your standards are through the floor. One poor VAR decision away from a very different game too (unsuprising given the officials), but hey never mind. Onwards and upwards.

Utd were very good in moments during that game, and I respect that. I have no problem with the counter attacking tactics, Utd are an extremely dangerous team. When I read Utd dominated the game, or won the match 'easily' I just chuckle.

The facts are, despite that defeat, Arsenal have picked up 27 more points than Utd if you look at the past 38 games, not too bad considering our front 4 combined cost £3m less than Antony, our team is rubbish and the manager is Peps cone boy. Peace.
Are you a dafty? No one made the point that United dominated the game and won it easily, you said Arsenal dominated the game and that there was only one winner for most of it. The game was a draw at 0-0 and at 1-1 for 40 minutes of the 90. For the majority of the game, the remaining 50 minutes, United were either one or two goals up. I don't know why it's a reflection of our standards being through the floor that we are happy with how that game went given we won, but yeh, we were good in that game. Good enough to win 3-1. ten Hag was only a handful of games in and we'd had a rocky start after losing to Brighton and Brentford. Arteta has been at Arsenal for 3 years so we were up against a team that has had much more time together and was in good form. We came out on top. Happy days.

You keep going on about the Odegaard foul, but it was a foul. It wasn't the 'softest' VAR decision, it was the right call. A poor VAR decision was the one we had go against us on Sunday against Everton.

I don't quite get the point of looking at the past 38 games, it seems like a rather arbitrary figure to pluck out of nowhere. I also don't get the point of bringing up finances, unless you're under the impression that Arsenal haven't also spent an absolute feck tonne of money in the past couple of years?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This seems accurate to me as a backward looking assessment - essentially, how good players have been in their careers. Partey has played at a very high level in spurts but never had the consistency and ability to stay healthy to be ranked in a higher tier. I don't see him getting healthier at this point in his career and he obviously has another issue not to be talked about in this thread that could impact his availability as well.

But I don't think I would bet on Casemiro or Fabinho to be better than him going forward (assuming he stays unsuspended for the moment). As the PL became a press heavy, higher tempo league in the last 7-8 years, it has been a complete graveyard for top level central midfielders past 30 - Cazorla was done at 31, Schweinsteiger done at 31, Dembele done at 31, Fabregas done at 31, Matic done as a top level player at 31, Kante seems done as a top level player at 31, same with Jorginho, Thiago is still tidy at 31 but can't really keep up physically, Henderson looks totally cooked having just hit 32, etc. The game is just so physically demanding now for CMs, guys just don't have the legs to keep up past 30 and often their bodies break down as they try. The only real exception during this period was Fernandinho and, likely not coincidentally, he played for a side that other teams gave up trying to press and spends 80% of the game camped in one half of the field rather than going end-to-end all match.

Casemiro is 31 in four months. Until proven otherwise, the safe bet is that he goes on the trajectory of these other CMs and struggles mightily with the physical strains of the PL, never playing at a consistent elite level again. Fabinho will only turn 29 later this month, but he has played an unusually massive number of first team minutes in his career (more than older players like Casemiro, Thiago, or Kante for example) so he seems a likely candidate for an early decline.

The best bets to play at a top level in the PL over the next couple years are Rodri, Guimaraes, and Rice. Hojbjerg is not close to them IMO.
He was the second best player on the pitch literally 6 months ago against one of the best pressing teams. He’ll be fine.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
It's really hard to take any post seriously when youngun's chuck in the childish little green emoji things as they think it somehow helps their point. This is a great forum, shame that emoji is available.

If you truly think Utd were good in that game, your standards are through the floor. One poor VAR decision away from a very different game too (unsuprising given the officials), but hey never mind. Onwards and upwards.

Utd were very good in moments during that game, and I respect that. I have no problem with the counter attacking tactics, Utd are an extremely dangerous team. When I read Utd dominated the game, or won the match 'easily' I just chuckle.

The facts are, despite that defeat, Arsenal have picked up 27 more points than Utd if you look at the past 38 games, not too bad considering our front 4 combined cost £3m less than Antony, our team is rubbish and the manager is Peps cone boy. Peace.
This is absolute horseshit.

I’ll chuck in one of these for good measure: :lol:

Can also see we’re firmly in Scouse territory with that final paragraph. You do realise your manager has spent significant sums as well right?

RedC

:lol:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He was the second best player on the pitch literally 6 months ago against one of the best pressing teams. He’ll be fine.
We’ll have to wait and see. Kante was the best player on the pitch in a CL final at 30 and been a mess since. Thiago was the best player on the pitch in a CL final the year before at 29 and never really shown that level again since trying to adapt to the PL in his 30s.

ShinjiNinja26

This whole post just oozes sour grapes. Dress it up how you like, possession this, VAR that, the fact is you got dismantled and shipped three goals and were only able to score one, end of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems like the dizzy heights of the top of the league have gotten to your head, enjoy it while it lasts because come the end of the season you’ll be battling for top 4 just like the rest of us.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
We’ll have to wait and see. Kante was the best player on the pitch in a CL final at 30 and been a mess since. Thiago was the best player on the pitch in a CL final the year before at 29 and never really shown that level again since trying to adapt to the PL in his 30s.
Thiago has always been an injury prone player. He’s never made 50 appearances in a season. For a player that’s always played for top European clubs, that’s surprising. In fact, the most he’s made is 45 and that was when he was still at Barca.

Kante is now facing injuries in his career, but they started in his late 20s. But not sure what the relevance is. Robin van Persie and Robben had lots of injuries in their youth and then found consistency the older they got. Players have different luck I guess.

TheReligion

Abusive
What? earlier you were saying you hadn’t seen enough of Kante so would have to see what Chelsea fans thought if him currently. Now he’s been a mess since the CL final.

Then you say Thiago has regressed yet only a few days ago he was the best midfielder on the pitch against your own team.

Do you even realise what you’re saying here?

TheReligion

Abusive

:lol:

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
He's been injured for quite some time. I think that's a bit harsh on Kante when for the past 5 seasons in the league, he's been one of the most consistent players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Says the guy who chose the username BurgerVan

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
What? earlier you were saying you hadn’t seen enough of Kante so would have to see what Chelsea fans thought if him currently. Now he’s been a mess since the CL final.

Then you say Thiago has regressed yet only a few days ago he was the best midfielder on the pitch against your own team.

Do you even realise what you’re saying here?
You have a terrible tendency to just randomly ascribe comments to the wrong poster and then start acting like a dick about it. First it was me claiming Partey was world class (which I never said whatsoever). Now its me saying this random thing about Kante (which I never said either). At least go to the trouble of actually looking back at what specific posters wrote.

He's been injured for quite some time. I think that's a bit harsh on Kante when for the past 5 seasons in the league, he's been one of the most consistent players.
It's true that he has been battling injuries for a while (including the season of the CL final and the one before) but it seems like the injuries are getting more frequent and even when healthy he isn't playing at the same level now as a couple years ago.

I say this as somebody who thinks he is one of the top 2-3 PL central midfielders of the last decade. I have nothing but respect for Kante, despite playing for a rival.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
This whole post just oozes sour grapes. Dress it up how you like, possession this, VAR that, the fact is you got dismantled and shipped three goals and were only able to score one, end of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems like the dizzy heights of the top of the league have gotten to your head, enjoy it while it lasts because come the end of the season you’ll be battling for top 4 just like the rest of us.
Whether or not we run with City toward the end is one thing. But we will not be in a fight for 4th.

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
Couldn't be happier with the results and progress we've made so far. Key words being 'so far'.

Both my best mates support Man United and its essentially why I love this forum. The banter is great, but we keep it realistic and civil, and most of all - fun.

Let's be honest, no one expected us to be at the top at this point. I had my own reservations on Arteta after we bottled top 4 last season. That hurt bad - really bad.

I guess the football romantic in me would say that lit the fire and desire. But let's be honest guys. Arsenal and United have had false dawn after false dawn. We all know the feeling.

I'm not a match going fan, I've always had a soft spot for United because of my mates. I hope we both get CL this season.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
Whether or not we run with City toward the end is one thing. But we will not be in a fight for 4th.
We could be in a fight for 4th if everyone bar City is, i.e. if it's all very evenly matched, all the big boys mostly beating the teams they should and it comes down to the head to heads, an extremely competitive season at the top essentially - the thing that's always being hyped up by Sky (''this season could be the most competitive ever in the Premier League!'') but never really arrives because one or two teams always have something between a bottle job and an implosion. We're only nine games in so it could still end up being that season.

But the old logic we had before the season for why we'd be in a scrap for fourth - i.e. because other teams like Liverpool and Chelsea were just more capable than us of consistency for various reasons (pedigree, depth, mentality, etc) is dead for me.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am not sure about that and I am perfectly happy if Arsenal win the 4th place trophy this season. We lost it at the end of last season because we lack consistency.

Chief123

A draw at Saints after some would say a lucky hard fought win at Leeds.

They’ve been brilliant so far but last couple of games have shown signs that as soon as 1 or 2 from their first 11 drop out, you can see the significant drop off.

I don’t think anyone realistically expected any kind of title challenge from them.

It may sound absurd but I do genuinely think they’ll be dragged into trying to secure a top 4 spot along with the others. I’m not convinced they’ll get top 4 comfortably just because of their squad depth.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

They’ve been brilliant so far but last couple of games have shown signs that as soon as 1 or 2 from their first 11 drop out, you can see the significant drop off.

I don’t think anyone realistically expected any kind of title challenge from them.

It may sound absurd but I do genuinely think they’ll be dragged into trying to secure a top 4 spot along with the others. I’m not convinced they’ll get top 4 comfortably just because of their squad depth.
It is not absurd at all. I don’t think Arsenal will get top 4.

Chief123

It is not absurd at all. I don’t think Arsenal will get top 4.
If they keep most of their first XI fit (which they’ve done very well to do so far but it’s always going to be a challenge for a full season) then I do think they’ll get top 4 simply because they are better than Spurs and Chelsea.

However, one injury to someone like Jesus or Martinelli could really derail them.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
There's another window coming up pretty soon tbh when you factor in the World Cup. The reality is we just need to get past the next 3 games then re-assess.

We do need another DM and Winger though in the squad. Elneny and ESR should be back after the WC too, so there's 2 more bodies in the squad.

erikcred

We could be in a fight for 4th if everyone bar City is, i.e. if it's all very evenly matched, all the big boys mostly beating the teams they should and it comes down to the head to heads, an extremely competitive season at the top essentially - the thing that's always being hyped up by Sky (''this season could be the most competitive ever in the Premier League!'') but never really arrives because one or two teams always have something between a bottle job and an implosion. We're only nine games in so it could still end up being that season.

But the old logic we had before the season for why we'd be in a scrap for fourth - i.e. because other teams like Liverpool and Chelsea were just more capable than us of consistency for various reasons (pedigree, depth, mentality, etc) is dead for me.
You've played a grand total of one big-6 team away from home and lost that match.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
3 weeks til the WC can't come soon enough. I'm starting to feel that our lack of squad depth and Thurs-Sun schedule is beginning to catch up with us. Our intensity seems to drop off quite a bit in the 2nd half, happened with Leeds and again today. Perhaps now that qualification in Europa League is certain, Arteta can rest more players there. Definitely need more reinforcement in Jan, particularly a CM and forward.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Personally I think they will get top 4 without too much struggle, but a few of their players looked a little dead out there in the second half

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

It's why after yesterday's results, I wasn't interested that City won, I was only interested in the fact Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool dropped points.

We don't have the depth for a title challenge. That's not me playing it down, that's just fact. We are in a top 4 battle and that's what we need to concentrate on.

I like our team, but I do often get concerned about not taking our chances when we are on top. Saka, Jesus, Martinelli and Odegaard are good, exciting players. But I do worry there's not really a killer finisher in amongst them, and that we need a good few chances to score.

Chief123

It's why after yesterday's results, I wasn't interested that City won, I was only interested in the fact Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool dropped points.

We don't have the depth for a title challenge. That's not me playing it down, that's just fact. We are in a top 4 battle and that's what we need to concentrate on.

I like our team, but I do often get concerned about not taking our chances when we are on top. Saka, Jesus, Martinelli and Odegaard are good, exciting players. But I do worry there's not really a killer finisher in amongst them, and that we need a good few chances to score.
I think most of us know deep down City will probably win the league comfortably.

I do think we’re in for the most fascinating top 4 battle though. I think Liverpool will get better. I think Utd will have similar problems to Arsenal and Chelsea with lack of goals. I think Spurs will pick up enough points because of their strikers. It really will become tense in the latter months for those other 3 positions.

Bogga

They'll drop off at some point, but I haven't been impressed at all from Chelsea or Spurs and Liverpool isn't near what they've been these last years... But they've been playing quite good thus far, so I'd be surprised if they manage to drop so far so they drop out of 4

TheReligion

Abusive
Dropping points away to Southampton isn’t great. Not looking as slick as they were in parts against Liverpool the past few games.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think most of us know deep down City will probably win the league comfortably.

I do think we’re in for the most fascinating top 4 battle though. I think Liverpool will get better. I think Utd will have similar problems to Arsenal and Chelsea with lack of goals. I think Spurs will pick up enough points because of their strikers. It really will become tense in the latter months for those other 3 positions.
Yeah, I agree. We've benefited from a good start, but I don't see that much difference between the other teams bar City.

Chelsea will be solid and grind out wins, same with Spurs and I think Liverpool will get better as well. However, I think the team that has impressed me most in recent weeks is Utd. Casimero coming in has brought quality and a level of assuredness in midfield. I must admit to @TheReligion that I've been more impressed with Martinez these past few weeks. He seems to have adapted to the physical side of the league more, and he barely gave Kane a sniff last week.

All in all I can see the rest bar City squeezing up and it becoming a proper battle.

Dominos

They're starting to look jaded last couple of games. They've been in the form of their lives but I think they'll get dragged into the top 4 race at some point. Lack of squad depth and European football which they didn't have last season will take it's toll.

Chief123

Yeah, I agree. We've benefited from a good start, but I don't see that much difference between the other teams bar City.

Chelsea will be solid and grind out wins, same with Spurs and I think Liverpool will get better as well. However, I think the team that has impressed me most in recent weeks is Utd. Casimero coming in has brought quality and a level of assuredness in midfield. I must admit to @TheReligion that I've been more impressed with Martinez these past few weeks. He seems to have adapted to the physical side of the league more, and he barely gave Kane a sniff last week.

All in all I can see the rest bar City squeezing up and it becoming a proper battle.
Martinez has been in incredible. My player of the season so far. I can see him getting in the team of the season if he continues.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
The final score was indicative of the performances today. Arsenal were better in the first half and Southampton better in the second half. Most people cite City's depth as the biggest difference between them as a genuine title contender and Arsenal as a pretender. There is some truth to do that. However, for me the biggest difference between the two teams is finishing. City would have won today against Southampton 3-0 or 4-0. They generate chances and they finish them. Arsenal had opportunities to put the game out of reach in the first half and did not score with well generated chances.

Regardless, if you had told most Arsenal fans during preseason we would be 9-1-1 to start the season, most would have been over the moon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The final score was indicative of the performances today. Arsenal were better in the first half and Southampton better in the second half. Most people cite City's depth as the biggest difference between them as a genuine title contender and Arsenal as a pretender. There is some truth to do that. However, for me the biggest difference between the two teams is finishing. City would have won today against Southampton 3-0 or 4-0. They generate chances and they finish them. Arsenal had opportunities to put the game out of reach in the first half and did not score with well generated chances.

Regardless, if you had told most Arsenal fans during preseason we would be 9-1-1 to start the season, most would have been over the moon.
There’s nothing much to be down about if you’re an Arsenal fan. Yes on paper you should have won this but it’s a tough league and dropping points here and there is unavoidable.

I was hanging out with a couple of Arsenal mates this evening and they were proper down about the result.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Not the best performance. But any away game carries a risk. Just need to move on and go again.

I also hate playing at grounds with cut up pitches. The better the surface, the better we play. Thank christ we dont have to play on that park pitch again. It was even noticeable wen Saints played Chelsea to the point it was a source of discussion

I know people will say blaming the pitch is trivial, but reality the playing surface is important. I know both teams play on the same surface, but not all teams play the same style, some beniffet from a better surface while others would rather play on a dodgy surface. If the famed peak Barcelona v Tony Pulis Stoke match was ever played, Stoke would fancy their chances more on muddy watered cut up pitch rather than a pristine freshly mowed and lightly watered pitch.

Thankfully Southampton are really the only team with a rubbish playing surface and its not an issue we will face again. Home game to Forrest is an ideal match to get back to winning ways, on a pitch where every blade of glass is the same length

Fans are all saying the same thing about Southampton's pitch for Premier League clash at home to Chelsea | The US Sun (the-sun.com)

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
There’s nothing much to be down about if you’re an Arsenal fan. Yes on paper you should have won this but it’s a tough league and dropping points here and there is unavoidable.

I was hanging out with a couple of Arsenal mates this evening and they were proper down about the result.
Which is big in itself. We would've resigned ourselves to it being same old us not very long ago.

Yesterday does feel like a loss though.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Which is big in itself. We would've resigned ourselves to it being same old us not very long ago.

Yesterday does feel like a loss though.
Bare in mind we did actually lose this fixture last season. But yea referee decisions went against us, Southampton were lucky with the xG and some of the players are running on fumes after the PSV game.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Bare in mind we did actually lose this fixture last season. But yea referee decisions went against us, Southampton were lucky with the xG and some of the players are running on fumes after the PSV game.
Last week we were lucky to take all the points against Leeds. Yesterday we wasted quite a few chances. Still, it’s an away point to extend our lead at the top of the table. The sky is hardly falling.

With the Chelsea game coming up, we may miss out on going into the World Cup on top. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but we have such a young squad that I’ll gladly take any little psychological boost we can get.