Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Teja

I think the league is definitely weaker competitively this season. Chelsea dropped a level and the whole Abramovic situation would have impacted their momentum irrespective. United in transition and Spurs / Liverpool certainly aren't firing.

The good thing about Arsenal is this form isn't out of the blue. They bottled top four last season due to inconsistencies but have regained form they had in moments last season with the addition of quality in select positions. Everything's clicked in place but they are still performing well which is the foundation of their results. That's what important because a team that performs always does well over the long run. The only way they will nullify their progress is either injuries or opposition teams figure some of their attacking play out.
Yeah I agree. This will be like the season we came 2nd but Arsenal will do better than 74 pts (?) that we managed.

City will just runaway with it at 90+ unfortunately.

the_cliff

It hasn't actually cost us points yet. The goals goals vs United didn't come from a clear Gabriel error IIRC but just getting caught out as a team. Antony goal was a very well worked goal from United.
He redeemed himself both times. Against Fulham he scored the winner and against Liverpool yesterday he played a lovely dummy for Saka's first. Only a matter of time till it does cost you though.

Arsenals main problem is squad depth imo. The drop in quality from Jesus to Nketieh and Partey to Lokonga is a big problem.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He redeemed himself both times. Against Fulham he scored the winner and against Liverpool yesterday he played a lovely dummy for Saka's first. Only a matter of time till it does cost you though.

Arsenals main problem is squad depth imo. The drop in quality from Jesus to Nketieh and Partey to Lokonga is a big problem.
Think Nketiah definitely improved the last 4 or 5 months of last season and became a better rounded player than I could ever see him being. Agreed, he's nowhere near Jesus level mind you.

Partey is the big one. Intrigued to see if the club see Danilo being his replacement, if so youd imagine January would be the perfect time to get him considering the Brazilian season ends in November.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Arsenal will keep winning until people start to call them title contenders... Then they'll stumble all over the place like the regulars of Wetherspoons on a Friday night.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah but thats partly because of the quality of Jesus and Partey. Its also not Lokonga who is the direct back up for Partey, its Elneny. Plus we are probably going to push hard for Douglas Luiz or Danilo (Palmieras player in January. Partey will play week to week in the league, he wont play and Eurepa games and there are only about 7-8 games left until the window opens again.

Partey could play every game up until then and then the problem be addressed without any material impact. Elneny back form injury and an additional of Luiz/Danilo would give us much more quality and depth. But even still, Partey is one of only two world class holding midfielders in the PL, the other being Rodri. We are worse without him. But then if he were your player you would be much better with him, and therefore much worse without him. its a good problem to have

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah but thats partly because of the quality of Jesus and Partey. Its also not Lokonga who is the direct back up for Partey, its Elneny. Plus we are probably going to push hard for Douglas Luiz or Danilo (Palmieras player in January. Partey will play week to week in the league, he wont play and Eurepa games and there are only about 7-8 games left until the window opens again.

Partey could play every game up until then and then the problem be addressed without any material impact. Elneny back form injury and an additional of Luiz/Danilo would give us much more quality and depth. But even still, Partey is one of only two world class holding midfielders in the PL, the other being Rodri. We are worse without him. But then if he were your player you would be much better with him, and therefore much worse without him. its a good problem to have
Think that's a bit more hyoerbole. So no Fabinho, no Casimero, the first 2 that come to my head?

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Think that's a bit more hyoerbole. So no Fabinho, no Casimero, the first 2 that come to my head?
No. Casemiro has been hot and cold and still not considered a regular. Fabinho isnt as good as Partey.

Partey is playing at a much higher level than Casemiro and Fabinho.

redcucumber

No. Casemiro has been hot and cold and still not considered a regular. Fabinho isnt as good as Partey.

6 games played seems like a small sample size to declare Partey the best DM in the PL alongside Rodri.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

What are you on about really?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

There's a few pretty decent Arsenal posters on this forum, people like you really let the rest of them down.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

They've been 2 of the best the past 5 years or so though. We struggle to get Partey to play 5 straight game.

Mike Smalling

Arsenal will keep winning until people start to call them title contenders... Then they'll stumble all over the place like the regulars of Wetherspoons on a Friday night.
Yep, who exactly from that squad is going to get them through those rough patches later in the season? The squad is a combination of very young and inexperienced players (Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale), and players who have been shown to have dodgy attitudes previously (the likes of Xhaka). In that way, the squad is quite similar to their 2007-2008 squad. Jesus and Zinchenko have won titles with City, but mostly as supporting cast, not leading players.

Will be interesting to see. Even if they manage to keep up a high level of performances for the entire season, they are likely to be beaten by City to the title, though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep, who exactly from that squad is going to get them through those rough patches later in the season? The squad is a combination of very young and inexperienced players (Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale), and players who have been shown to have dodgy attitudes previously (the likes of Xhaka). In that way, the squad is quite similar to their 2007-2008 squad. Jesus and Zinchenko have won titles with City, but mostly as supporting cast, not leading players.

Will be interesting to see. Even if they manage to keep up a high level of performances for the entire season, they are likely to be beaten by City to the title, though.
Just to play devils advocate, who was established as a winner before Liverpool pushed City in the league all the way?

ShinjiNinja26

He hasn't said anything wrong to be fair. Partey has been better than both Casemiro and Fabinho this season, comfortably.
He didn’t say this season though, unless I missed it somewhere. Both Casemiro and Fabinho are better than Partey on their day. Casemiro has had a slow start as he’s getting up to speed with the PL and a new system once he fully settles in I don’t think it will be even up for debate who’s the better of the two.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He didn’t say this season though, unless I missed it somewhere. Both Casemiro and Fabinho are better than Partey on their day. Casemiro has had a slow start as he’s getting up to speed with the PL and a new system once he fully settles in I don’t think it will be even up for debate who’s the better of the two.
Oh no he did say " Partey is playing at a much higher level than Casemiro and Fabinho." --> so I took that as the current moment.
I don't even think the lunatics on AFTV would say Casemiro isn't on Partey's level in general. I hope :lol:

redcucumber

He hasn't said anything wrong to be fair. Partey has been better than both Casemiro and Fabinho this season, comfortably.
He said Partey is one of two world class DM's in the PL. Partey has played 6 games in the PL this season and missed an absolute boat load of games at the end of last season - so he's literally going off of six games. It's mental.

ShinjiNinja26

Oh no he did say " Partey is playing at a much higher level than Casemiro and Fabinho." --> so I took that as the current moment.
I don't even think the lunatics on AFTV would say Casemiro isn't on Partey's level in general. I hope :lol:
Haha I wouldn’t be too sure, I’m certain I seen a YouTube video just before they played us where big Robbie was trying to argue Partey was better than Casemiro when discussing a combined 11. Never underestimate their delusion, it knows no bounds. :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He labelled Partey world class, you'd imagine that label would extend beyond a run of about 5 games, and take into account recent seasons. In which case it's absolutely mental to put Partey above or even on level with Casemiro and Fabinho. You could even make a case for Rice having been a regular, solid and consistent fixture in the PL for a few seasons now.

It's exactly the kind of Arsenal fan that makes a lot of people dislike them.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Think Rodri, Casemiro, Partey and Fabinho are in the same bracket.

Partey when fit that is..

Fabinho this season though looks very tired. Casemiro should come good, but I guess there's always a risk.

Mike Smalling

Just to play devils advocate, who was established as a winner before Liverpool pushed City in the league all the way?
You mean in the 2018/19 season? Arguably none of them, but they had a bunch of players in their prime. I would guess that Salah, Mane, Firmino, van Dijk, Allison, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho were all in that 26-29 age range at the start of that season.

If you look at Arsenal's current squad none of Gabriel, Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard, Saliba, White, Ramsdale, Jesus or Tierney are more than 25 years old - a handful them are 20-22. Xhaka and Partey are the only core players in the traditional 'prime' of their careers - one is a tosspot, and the other is an injury waiting to happen.

This might be a meaningless observation - I don't know. It just seems that their squad is not mature enough to really challenge for the title yet.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Rodri and Casemiro are clear in terms of consistently being WC for their positions.

Fabinho, Rice are a tier below - both are WC on their day, but have don’t have the consistency the top two have.

I’d say Hojbjerg is next, and I’d have Partey in this tier. However, if Partey can show his form consistently over a couple of seasons then he would obviously move up.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You mean in the 2018/19 season? Arguably none of them, but they had a bunch of players in their prime. I would guess that Salah, Mane, Firmino, van Dijk, Allison, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho were all in that 26-29 age range at the start of that season.

If you look at Arsenal's current squad none of Gabriel, Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard, Saliba, White, Ramsdale, Jesus or Tierney are more than 25 years old - a handful them are 20-22. Xhaka and Partey are the only core players in the traditional 'prime' of their careers - one is a tosspot, and the other is an injury waiting to happen.

This might be a meaningless observation - I don't know. It just seems that their squad is not mature enough to really challenge for the title yet.
We aren't challenging for the title for precisely that reason. You are correct in your assessment of the squad make up, the aim for this squad was always top 4 and just because we've had a good start, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

To challenge City for the title you likely need a 90+ point team. As far as I'm aware, we've never had a 90+ point team, and I can't see this squad being one yet either. We aren't jumping 20+ points from last season, that's just not realistic for us.

Mike Smalling

We aren't challenging for the title for precisely that reason. You are correct in your assessment of the squad make up, the aim for this squad was always top 4 and just because we've had a good start, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

To challenge City for the title you likely need a 90+ point team. As far as I'm aware, we've never had a 90+ point team, and I can't see this squad being one yet either. We aren't jumping 20+ points from last season, that's just not realistic for us.
And to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of the resident Arsenal fans on here saying you will win the league, but on the broader interwebz, I'm beginning to see a lot of "Should Arsenal be taken seriously as title contenders?" articles and videos.

You look good value for top four, though. With this start, it would be a massive disappointment not to get it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
And to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of the resident Arsenal fans on here saying you will win the league, but on the broader interwebz, I'm beginning to see a lot of "Should Arsenal be taken seriously as title contenders?" articles and videos.

You look good value for top four, though. With this start, it would be a massive disappointment not to get it.
Yeah, I've noticed a few myself and just shake my head. I've said a few times now, City are the score I look for last, they aren't even in my thoughts right now.

We've had a good start and I'm happy with it, but we've still got lots to prove. Can we cope with injuries, can we cope with the latter stages of Europa where we will have to play more of our first team, can we avoid defeats at top 6 rivals regularly? None of these have been answered yet

Mike Smalling

Yeah, I've noticed a few myself and just shake my head. I've said a few times now, City are the score I look for last, they aren't even in my thoughts right now.

We've had a good start and I'm happy with it, but we've still got lots to prove. Can we cope with injuries, can we cope with the latter stages of Europa where we will have to play more of our first team, can we avoid defeats at top 6 rivals regularly? None of these have been answered yet
6 points from United (A), Spurs (H) and Liverpool (H) is a great start, even if I think you've had the rub of the green with penalty decisions against Liverpool and the red card for Spurs.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Rodri and Casemiro are clear in terms of consistently being WC for their positions.

Fabinho, Rice are a tier below - both are WC on their day, but have don’t have the consistency the top two have.

I’d say Hojbjerg is next, and I’d have Partey in this tier. However, if Partey can show his form consistently over a couple of seasons then he would obviously move up.
This seems accurate to me as a backward looking assessment - essentially, how good players have been in their careers. Partey has played at a very high level in spurts but never had the consistency and ability to stay healthy to be ranked in a higher tier. I don't see him getting healthier at this point in his career and he obviously has another issue not to be talked about in this thread that could impact his availability as well.

But I don't think I would bet on Casemiro or Fabinho to be better than him going forward (assuming he stays unsuspended for the moment). As the PL became a press heavy, higher tempo league in the last 7-8 years, it has been a complete graveyard for top level central midfielders past 30 - Cazorla was done at 31, Schweinsteiger done at 31, Dembele done at 31, Fabregas done at 31, Matic done as a top level player at 31, Kante seems done as a top level player at 31, same with Jorginho, Thiago is still tidy at 31 but can't really keep up physically, Henderson looks totally cooked having just hit 32, etc. The game is just so physically demanding now for CMs, guys just don't have the legs to keep up past 30 and often their bodies break down as they try. The only real exception during this period was Fernandinho and, likely not coincidentally, he played for a side that other teams gave up trying to press and spends 80% of the game camped in one half of the field rather than going end-to-end all match.

Casemiro is 31 in four months. Until proven otherwise, the safe bet is that he goes on the trajectory of these other CMs and struggles mightily with the physical strains of the PL, never playing at a consistent elite level again. Fabinho will only turn 29 later this month, but he has played an unusually massive number of first team minutes in his career (more than older players like Casemiro, Thiago, or Kante for example) so he seems a likely candidate for an early decline.

The best bets to play at a top level in the PL over the next couple years are Rodri, Guimaraes, and Rice. Hojbjerg is not close to them IMO.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
This seems accurate to me as a backward looking assessment - essentially, how good players have been in their careers. Partey has played at a very high level in spurts but never had the consistency and ability to stay healthy to be ranked in a higher tier. I don't see him getting healthier at this point in his career and he obviously has another issue not to be talked about in this thread that could impact his availability as well.
Partey was very consistent at Atletico and hardly ever got injured. I remember reading a stat that said before moving to Arsenal, he had only missed 6 games in Spain or playing for Ghana, in over 200 games. Unfortunately that all changed when he came to us. Perhaps it’s because he’s older, or could be the greater physicality of the PL.

TheReligion

Abusive

But I don't think I would bet on Casemiro or Fabinho to be better than him going forward (assuming he stays unsuspended for the moment). As the PL became a press heavy, higher tempo league in the last 7-8 years, it has been a complete graveyard for top level central midfielders past 30 - Cazorla was done at 31, Schweinsteiger done at 31, Dembele done at 31, Fabregas done at 31, Matic done as a top level player at 31, Kante seems done as a top level player at 31, same with Jorginho, Thiago is still tidy at 31 but can't really keep up physically, Henderson looks totally cooked having just hit 32, etc. The game is just so physically demanding now for CMs, guys just don't have the legs to keep up past 30 and often their bodies break down as they try. The only real exception during this period was Fernandinho and, likely not coincidentally, he played for a side that other teams gave up trying to press and spends 80% of the game camped in one half of the field rather than going end-to-end all match.

Casemiro is 31 in four months. Until proven otherwise, the safe bet is that he goes on the trajectory of these other CMs and struggles mightily with the physical strains of the PL, never playing at a consistent elite level again. Fabinho will only turn 29 later this month, but he has played an unusually massive number of first team minutes in his career (more than older players like Casemiro, Thiago, or Kante for example) so he seems a likely candidate for an early decline.

The best bets to play at a top level in the PL over the next couple years are Rodri, Guimaraes, and Rice. Hojbjerg is not close to them IMO.
So you ignore all the top DMs who played well into their 30s to fit your argument

Sounds legit

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

From Arsenal fans or from neutral sources? I'm sure we have some deluded fans who think we'll challenge but I think most know that our squad is no match for City's. They're going to walk the league

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
So you ignore all the top DMs who played well into their 30s to fit your argument

Sounds legit
Other than Fernandinho, who are the DMs or true CMs that played at an elite level well into their 30s in the last 7-8 years of PL football (ie, once the league changed quite a lot in terms of the intensity and frequency of pressing by sides up and down the table)?

TheReligion

Abusive
Other than Fernandinho, who are the DMs that played well into their 30s in the last 8 years of PL football (ie, once the league changed quite a lot in terms of the intensity and frequency of pressing by sides up and down the table)?
Yes only include the last 8 years and only include the PL.

Perhaps add a few more filters so you can support your argument?

TheReligion

Abusive
Another day, another case of Arsenal fans giving it the big un in terms of all their players being the best.

Childlike.